NATION

PASSWORD

(Proposal) Restricting Future Nuclear Weapons Proliferation

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
United Free States of America
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

(Proposal) Restricting Future Nuclear Weapons Proliferation

Postby United Free States of America » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Future Nuclear Proliferation Ban
A resolution to improve world security by limiting further nuclear weapon development.

Category: International Security
Strength: Mild
Proposed by: the United Free States of America

Description:
ACKNOWLEDGING: The fact that only WA members are required to comply with WA resolutions,

NOTICING: The fact that many WA Assembly nations are in the process or have completed development on more accurate and powerful nuclear weapons,

ACKNOWLEDGING: that the WA members need to be able to defend themselves if attacked,

REALIZING: That further development of more powerful and accurate nuclear weapons increases the likelihood of nuclear combat.

1. DECLARES that WA members that currently have stockpiles of nuclear weapons halt development to make their weapons more effective, for example: installing better targeting systems, increasing payload capacity, faster delivery vehicles, etc.

2. PRESERVES the right for individual nations to build and maintain current nuclear stockpiles to maintain mission readiness,

3. REQUIRES WA member nations to allow inspections of their nuclear weapon arsenal by WA inspectors to make sure member nations aren't violating nuclear weapon restrictions.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:39 pm

OOC post.
United Free States of America wrote:1. DECLARES that WA members that currently have stockpiles of nuclear weapons halt development to make their weapons more effective, for example: installing better targeting systems, increasing payload capacity, faster delivery vehicles, etc.

I can't help but feel that that shouldn't be there, as avoiding massive civilian casualties because of guidance system errors could only be a good thing...

2. PRESERVES the right for individual nations to build and maintain current nuclear stockpiles to maintain mission readiness,

"Build"? How can you build a current nuke stockpile? Aren't you building a future stockpile? And taken with #1, how can you "maintain mission readiness" if you're not occasionally allowed to swap parts for new ones - would you have to make crappy parts the way they were made decades ago to avoid accidentally making them better?

3. REQUIRES WA member nations to allow inspections of their nuclear weapon arsenal by WA inspectors to make sure member nations aren't violating nuclear weapon restrictions.

What restrictions? And how are the inspectors going to know if the software in the targeting system was upgraded, if there's no paper trail to prove it?

Also, you'll have a hard time of getting this past the people whose first reaction will be "keep your hands off of my nukes!"
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:32 am

“The definition of the international security category is: ‘A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.” How does this boost police or military budgets? There is a colourable argument for this category, but I am interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Also, despite the title, I’m not seeing what this does to reduce or restrict the proliferation of nuclear weapons. In fact, it looks more like something that could possibly improve the efficiency of some member nation’s stockpiles.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Christian Theocratic States
Civilian

Founded: Dec 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Christian Theocratic States » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:03 pm

You lose my support by prohibiting any form of nuclear advancement, like the guy above me said, it would effectively prevent any attempt to modernize nuclear weapons, even if the changes are meant to reduce civilian fatalities or improve accuracy.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC post.
United Free States of America wrote:1. DECLARES that WA members that currently have stockpiles of nuclear weapons halt development to make their weapons more effective, for example: installing better targeting systems, increasing payload capacity, faster delivery vehicles, etc.

I can't help but feel that that shouldn't be there, as avoiding massive civilian casualties because of guidance system errors could only be a good thing...

Forget errors. Accurate guidance systems are the reason saturation bombing isn't a thing anymore.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Return to General Assembly