NATION

PASSWORD

[1155] Banquet of Walnuts

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

[1155] Banquet of Walnuts

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:27 pm

Draft 3:
For the Theocratic nations amongst us, a bit of Borgia-legend-inspired debauchery to pose a challenge to the alleged moral fiber of the ruling religion. See the (alleged) real life Banquet of Chestnuts.

[TITLE] Banquet of Walnuts

[DESCRIPTION] Though it hasn't yet reached the ears of the populace, a massive scandal has begun unfolding internally after a number of religious leaders and other supposedly-holy individuals were found to have participated in an evening of debauchery and licentiousness, the specifics of which are in strict conflict with many core teachings of the faith. Featuring illicit companionship, suggestive dancing, and candied walnuts scattered about the floor for use in shockingly immoral ways, the salacious details of this banquet will surely shake your peoples' faith to its core.

[VALIDITY] Theocracy, perhaps high Corruption stat

[CHOICE 1] "We must make examples of these reprobates!" roars @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Ministries, from the portable pulpit @@HIS@@ assistants always wheel along with them. "Our faith must show no tolerance for those who deviate from the true path, and the perpetrators must be cast out from our nation and in to the fires of anywhere but here! They are sick, twisted, and didn't invite me!"

[FALLOUT 1] inviting your boss is mandatory for all social functions

[CHOICE 2] "The people won't lose their trust if we make sure they don't hear about this in the first place" murmurs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a shady-looking individual wearing an unnecessarily large holy symbol. "We just need to hush up what happened, and quietly move the offenders to other districts so it doesn't happen again… at least not with the same witnesses. If anybody comes forward publicly, we'll accuse them of fabricating it all!"

[FALLOUT 2] clerics move so often nobody remembers their names

[CHOICE 3] "Is it really so bad?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the official who happens to own the house where the party occurred. "I mean honestly, if the higher power is synonymous with love, what could be more divine than sharing one's love with a few dozen strangers? You must embrace our activities and teach the populace that all love is good love!"

[FALLOUT 3] "touched by an angel" has a whole new meaning

"The public aren't the only ones whose faith will be shaken," states the nearly-forgotten Minister of Secular Affairs, @@RANDOMNAME@@, flatly. "My faith is too, and what about your own? If we can't trust our religious leadership to follow our religion, how can we trust them to guide our country? Perhaps it's time to put secular leaders in charge again… say, why are you grabbing that pitchfork?"

[FALLOUT 4] the world is looking a lot more worldly

Draft 2:
For the Theocratic nations amongst us, a bit of Borgia-legend-inspired debauchery to pose a challenge to the alleged moral fiber of the ruling religion. See the (alleged) real life Banquet of Chestnuts.

[DESCRIPTION] Though it hasn't yet reached the ears of the populace, rumor of a massive scandal has begun circulating internally after a number of church leaders and other holy individuals were allegedly found to have participated in an evening of debauchery and licentiousness, the early reports of which bring a quick blush to your cheeks. Featuring illicit companionship, suggestive dancing, and candied walnuts being used in absolutely unmentionable fashions, the salacious details of this rumored banquet will surely shake your peoples' faith to its core.

[CHOICE 1] "We must make examples of these reprobates!" roars @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Ministries, from the portable pulpit @@HIS@@ assistants always wheel along with them. "Whether this occurred or not, appearances matter, and our faith must show no tolerance for those who deviate from the true path! The perpetrators must be cast out from our nation and in to the fires of anywhere but here! They are sick, twisted, and didn't invite me!"

[FALLOUT 1] banishment is a routine effect of high school romance

[CHOICE 2] "This is merely a rumor, and we have to ensure it stays that way" murmurs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a shady-looking individual wearing an unnecessarily large holy symbol. "We just need to hush up the reports, and quietly move the alleged offenders to other districts so it doesn't happen again… at least not with the same witnesses. If anybody comes forward publicly, there will be no evidence, and we can accuse them of fabricating it all!"

[CHOICE 3] "Is it really so bad?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the official who happens to own the house where the party supposedly occurred. "I mean honestly, if the higher power is synonymous with love, what could be more divine than sharing one's love with a few dozen strangers? You must embrace these claims and teach the populace that all love is good love!"

[FALLOUT 3] clerics teach that there's no such thing as bad touching

[CHOICE 4] "The public aren't the only ones whose faith might be shaken," states the nearly forgotten Minister of Secular Affairs, @@RANDOMNAME@@, flatly. "My faith is too, and what about your own? If trust is lost in our religious leadership, regardless of reason, then perhaps it's time to put secular leaders in charge again… say, why are you grabbing that pitchfork?"

[FALLOUT 4] secular authority and moral authority are now one

Draft 1:

[DESCRIPTION] Though it hasn't yet reached the ears of the populace, a massive scandal has begun unfolding internally after a number of church leaders and other supposedly holy individuals were found to have participated in an evening of debauchery and licentiousness, the early reports of which bring a quick blush to your cheeks. Featuring illicit companionship, suggestive dancing, and candied walnuts scattered about the floor, the salacious details of this banquet will surely shake your peoples' faith to its core.

[CHOICE 1] "We must make examples of these reprobates!" roars @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Minister for Ministries, from the portable pulpit @@HIS@@ assistants always wheel along with them. "Our faith must show no tolerance for those who deviate from the true path, and the perpetrators must be cast out from our nation and in to the fires of anywhere but here! Only if we do this will the congrega… citizens regain their trust!"

[FALLOUT 1] banishment is a routine effect of high school romance

[CHOICE 2] "The people won't lose their trust if we make sure they don't hear about this in the first place" murmurs @@RANDOMNAME@@, a shady-looking individual wearing an unnecessarily large holy symbol. "We just need to hush up what happened, and quietly move the offending clerics to other districts so it doesn't happen again… at least not with the same witnesses. If anybody comes forward publicly, we'll accuse them of fabricating it all!"

[CHOICE 3] "Is it really so bad?" asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, the official who happens to own the house where the party occurred. "I mean honestly, if the higher power is synonymous with love, what could be more divine than sharing one's love with a few dozen strangers? You must embrace our activities and teach the populace that all love is good love!"

[FALLOUT 3] clerics teach that there's no such thing as bad touching

[CHOICE 4] "The public aren't the only ones whose faith will be shaken," states the nearly forgotten Minister of Secular Affairs, @@RANDOMNAME@@, flatly. "My faith is too, and what about your own? If we can't trust our religious leadership to follow their own religion, how can we trust them to guide our country? Perhaps it's time to put secular leaders in charge again… say, why are you grabbing that pitchfork?"

[FALLOUT 4] secular authority and moral authority are now one
[/quote]
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:48 pm

On my mobile at the mo, so first off I love the thematic setting and writing here! Will have a proper nose at this when I get back.

For a bit of fun, you could suggest that the speaker for option 1 wasn't invited to the party!
Last edited by Caracasus on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:43 am

Haha, yes... I think I know just how to do that :-D I shall include it in the next draft.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:15 am

Would this narrative work better if, like Cesare's feast, it wasn't definite that it ever actually happened?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:33 pm

It's certainly doable. I daresay it would only take half a dozen correctly-placed words to write it as a rumor. It would seem that if it were a rumor, the logical response would be "find out if it's true" rather than taking other government actions (I kind of assumed this situation arose after investigation found something to be worried about), but I'm open to the idea. What are folks' thoughts?
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:27 am

Why is this a state issue rather than a church issue?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:21 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Why is this a state issue rather than a church issue?

I believe it is only theocracies that would get this one Aussie, so nations where the church is, for all practical purposes, the state.
Last edited by Caracasus on Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:31 am

Exactly as Caracasus says - this one is for theocratic nations where the church and the state are synonymous.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:56 pm

Which religions prohibit walnuts?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:41 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Which religions prohibit walnuts?

The walnuts are not the problem, any more than the chestnuts in the original upon which this is based. It's what was done with them, as part of the "festivities." The provided link covers it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Though to be fair to Aussie's comment here, if a link is needed for most folk to get the reference, then you're probably needing to make the whole thing more transparent and explicit.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:42 pm

New draft up!

Changes:
Incorporated Caracasus' suggestion for the Option 1 speaker.
Incorporated CWA's suggestion of this being a rumor, rather than a certain fact.
Provided slightly more context for the walnuts.

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:47 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:New draft up!

Changes:
Incorporated CWA's suggestion of this being a rumor, rather than a certain fact.

I do not think that you should have implemented that suggestion. It distracts from the problem at hand -- the corruption within the faith.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:46 pm

It's an easy enough reversion if that ends up as the consensus! Figured since I wasn't hearing feedback either way, I'd take the suggestion for a bit and see what folks thought of this version.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:36 am

I think it works better as fact, or at least having enough evidence to know something unsavory was afoot even if you don't know all the details, because this:
Verdant Haven wrote:It would seem that if it were a rumor, the logical response would be "find out if it's true" rather than taking other government actions (I kind of assumed this situation arose after investigation found something to be worried about)

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:40 am

You can submit this now.
Last edited by The Marsupial Illuminati on Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:48 am

Thanks! I was literally in the process of reverting it per your suggestion when you posted that :-D

Submitted!

Modifications that went in to final submission (Draft 2 > Draft 3) were:

- Blending back to a "confirmed" status for the banquet, rather than rumor
- Updating effects lines 1, 3, and 4

Thank you, all, for the feedback!
Last edited by Verdant Haven on Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?