NATION

PASSWORD

Must Santa always be an fat old white guy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
#jesusisthereasonfortheseason

Jesus, and presents, and children's choir concerts.

And co-opting pagan rituals in order to forcibly convert them to Christianity. Same as Easter.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Federally United Germany
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Federally United Germany » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Why change his race/gender? It literally doesn't matter and it makes no sense. Why make "progress" where it is not needed? The only explanation i have is that they are vying for attention.
This nation aligns with most of my views.

The German Empire wasn't all that bad and most of it's bad aspects were faults of individuals, not the country itself.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:45 pm

To answer the question posed by the title, no.

But does it really matter?
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Federally United Germany wrote:Why change his race/gender? It literally doesn't matter and it makes no sense. Why make "progress" where it is not needed? The only explanation i have is that they are vying for attention.

If it doesn't matter, why make such a big fuss when someone does it different?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Federally United Germany wrote:Why change his race/gender? It literally doesn't matter and it makes no sense. Why make "progress" where it is not needed? The only explanation i have is that they are vying for attention.

I mean to be fair it is kinda pointless. I don´t really care as said before it is not a big deal but is a odd change for someone to make.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Federally United Germany
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Federally United Germany » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Because it's an iconic figure. I see loads of backlash when someone makes a black character white or a gay character straight or whatever. So why should people on the right/more conservative people not be allowed to have the same reaction when their beloved characters are defiled?
Last edited by Federally United Germany on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This nation aligns with most of my views.

The German Empire wasn't all that bad and most of it's bad aspects were faults of individuals, not the country itself.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Vassenor wrote:

Tradition. Doing things like Christmas differently feels wrong. It doesn't mean that it actually is wrong, but it does feel that way.
Last edited by Geneviev on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Tradition. Doing things like Christmas differently feels wrong. It doesn't mean that it actually is wrong, but it does feel that way.

Appealing to tradition is one of the big no-no fallacies.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:57 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Tradition. Doing things like Christmas differently feels wrong. It doesn't mean that it actually is wrong, but it does feel that way.

It is a no-no fallacy, doesn't stop people from doing it.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Latin Islands
Envoy

Founded: Nov 29, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Latin Islands » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:57 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Exactly. It feels needlessly different. I'm not going to let a different depiction ruin my Christmas celebrations.
IC:
The Federation of Latin Islands
"D'un océan à l'autre"
A parliamentary democracy in The West Pacific.
OOC:
Have you experienced something so nostalgic that it hurts?
Likes animated series. Dislikes overgeneralizations.

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:57 pm

Santa must be old. To have him be young implies the death of the former, old, Santa - and that's not a jolly idea.

He can be whatever ethnicity someone wants. His job is to give me (and others) things for free. White is the default, but I don't get picky about the color of whoever's doing that. *Holds open an empty sack for him to fill*

He absolutely MUST be fat! A thin person is so stingy he doesn't give himself plenty - how can he be expected to be generous to others? The very idea of a thin Santa makes me say hmph. Thinness is for the Grinch.
Last edited by Victorious Decepticons on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

Gran Virginia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Gran Virginia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:58 pm

Santa Claus/Father Christmas is an established character, and is linked to Saint Nicholas to the extent that Saint Nick is literally a less commonly used name for Santa Claus. The character is a fat, jolly man with a big white beard, big red nose, and yes, he's white. Trying to change that is stupid, the character already exists in the culture. People are free to create new Christmas-associated characters, but they do so at the price of opening themselves to well deserved criticism of social engineering.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Not going to lie, I feel like stopping Christmas this year. I can't enjoy my December with all this obnoxious merrymaking going on. :p
Last edited by Saiwania on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Ungvarnfjall
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ungvarnfjall » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm

For me, I have a winter celebration that lasts from the 20th of OCTOBER to JAN. 1ST. Why must you care so much about one guy, for one day, in one suit? It's not such a big deal, just get over it. Throw a rock through the air and call it santa if you must, just chill out, and for the love of the Gods, have a happy yule.
.‡ WINTER IS COMING ‡.

廣東話 / Français / نجد عربي / Русский / Ελληνική / Latine
please leave me out of politics
no ns stats

United Capitalist Federations
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby United Capitalist Federations » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Tradition. Doing things like Christmas differently feels wrong. It doesn't mean that it actually is wrong, but it does feel that way.

I have no idea what a "no-no fallacy" is but if it is what i believe you are referring to many of those are biased. Tradition is a cemented and permanent thing in society and although it may change the concept of tradition is permanent and an immobile part of human society. Saying that traditions should be respected because they are traditions is, not gonna lie, a pretty weak argument.

Imperator Seven
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperator Seven » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Why should anyone care what his skin color is? or his weight? or that he's old? you can believe what you want about him, and whatever you believe is true, to you.

Little Tin Hat
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Little Tin Hat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Not necessarily

you've got to make some room for all those mince pies

Imperator Seven
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperator Seven » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Little Tin Hat wrote:Not necessarily

you've got to make some room for all those mince pies

Damn. you got me there.

Cascadian Vinland
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cascadian Vinland » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:07 pm

Cetacea wrote:So while other countries deal with gun violence, climate change and child sex trafficking, New Zealand this month has faced no less than two controversies concerning Santa and whether Santa parades can have the jolly Elf portrayed 1) by a Women 2) by another ethnicity (in this case a NZ Maori dressed in a red feather cloak)

People have lost jobs over the debate, Media commentators have had a field day and City Mayors have been forced to apologies to the nation. The fact they are debating a fictional character/marketing gimmick seems to have been overlooked in favour of outrage about tradition and anti-PC-ism.

So oh festive revellers of NSG as we wait for the lolly scramble could you gift me with your opinions - would you be outraged/saddened or confused if your communities local public Santa was non-standard Gender or Ethnicity? Can Santa be portrayed as anything other than a fat old white man?

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national ... son-locals
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/109054 ... aori-santa
https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/108860 ... -the-boots

New Zealand sounds like a stupid place.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:08 pm

Cascadian Vinland wrote:
Cetacea wrote:So while other countries deal with gun violence, climate change and child sex trafficking, New Zealand this month has faced no less than two controversies concerning Santa and whether Santa parades can have the jolly Elf portrayed 1) by a Women 2) by another ethnicity (in this case a NZ Maori dressed in a red feather cloak)

People have lost jobs over the debate, Media commentators have had a field day and City Mayors have been forced to apologies to the nation. The fact they are debating a fictional character/marketing gimmick seems to have been overlooked in favour of outrage about tradition and anti-PC-ism.

So oh festive revellers of NSG as we wait for the lolly scramble could you gift me with your opinions - would you be outraged/saddened or confused if your communities local public Santa was non-standard Gender or Ethnicity? Can Santa be portrayed as anything other than a fat old white man?

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national ... son-locals
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/109054 ... aori-santa
https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/108860 ... -the-boots

New Zealand sounds like a stupid place.

For what reason?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Latin Islands wrote:

Exactly. It feels needlessly different. I'm not going to let a different depiction ruin my Christmas celebrations.

It doesn't matter as long as Christmas doesn't change too much.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Cascadian Vinland wrote:New Zealand sounds like a stupid place.

For what reason?

Well they have that prize hag Jacinda whatshername for a start.
The Wielderdom of Hrythingia
Þæs Ƿealdaríċe Hrýðinglondes

State type: Semi-Elective Monarchy
Leader: Earl Wynmar II of The Ashwold, Hrythwealda
Capital: Ernburh
Language: Hrystic (Old English)
Religion: Catholicism
Characteristics: Isolationist, mercantile, conservative, rural, deeply religious
Industries: sheep/beef agriculture, fishing, offshore oil, financial services
Britonnis nati, Anglis Dei Gratia! A Catholic Conservative Briton, Late Antiquities Student and Reservist Officer in training. Interests: hunting, rugby, choral music, history, literature, linguistics and alcohol.

Ar i Dduw, er mwyn fy Ngheidwad, Roddi i mi galon lân.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Sahansahiye Iran
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sahansahiye Iran » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:13 pm

It really doesn't matter.
User formerly known as United Islamic Commonwealth and al-Ismailiyya.
Also known as Khosrow, Zarhust, or Lanian Empire.
Praetorian Prefect of EMN
Senator of EMN
Legatus of the Marian Legion
Integrator of EMN
A GCR Supreme General of the Contrarians
Iranian civic/cultural nationalist
Monarchist
Zoroastrian

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Sahansahiye Iran wrote:It really doesn't matter.

Aren't you a Moslem though anyway?
The Wielderdom of Hrythingia
Þæs Ƿealdaríċe Hrýðinglondes

State type: Semi-Elective Monarchy
Leader: Earl Wynmar II of The Ashwold, Hrythwealda
Capital: Ernburh
Language: Hrystic (Old English)
Religion: Catholicism
Characteristics: Isolationist, mercantile, conservative, rural, deeply religious
Industries: sheep/beef agriculture, fishing, offshore oil, financial services
Britonnis nati, Anglis Dei Gratia! A Catholic Conservative Briton, Late Antiquities Student and Reservist Officer in training. Interests: hunting, rugby, choral music, history, literature, linguistics and alcohol.

Ar i Dduw, er mwyn fy Ngheidwad, Roddi i mi galon lân.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Sahansahiye Iran
Minister

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sahansahiye Iran » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Hrythingia wrote:
Sahansahiye Iran wrote:It really doesn't matter.

Aren't you a Moslem though anyway?

God no lel

Edit: and even if I were, why would it matter? Plenty of Muslims celebrate Christmas. Including my own family.
Last edited by Sahansahiye Iran on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User formerly known as United Islamic Commonwealth and al-Ismailiyya.
Also known as Khosrow, Zarhust, or Lanian Empire.
Praetorian Prefect of EMN
Senator of EMN
Legatus of the Marian Legion
Integrator of EMN
A GCR Supreme General of the Contrarians
Iranian civic/cultural nationalist
Monarchist
Zoroastrian

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General