NATION

PASSWORD

Must Santa always be an fat old white guy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Must Santa always be an fat old white guy?

Postby Cetacea » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:30 pm

So while other countries deal with gun violence, climate change and child sex trafficking, New Zealand this month has faced no less than two controversies concerning Santa and whether Santa parades can have the jolly Elf portrayed 1) by a Women 2) by another ethnicity (in this case a NZ Maori dressed in a red feather cloak)

People have lost jobs over the debate, Media commentators have had a field day and City Mayors have been forced to apologies to the nation. The fact they are debating a fictional character/marketing gimmick seems to have been overlooked in favour of outrage about tradition and anti-PC-ism.

So oh festive revellers of NSG as we wait for the lolly scramble could you gift me with your opinions - would you be outraged/saddened or confused if your communities local public Santa was non-standard Gender or Ethnicity? Can Santa be portrayed as anything other than a fat old white man?

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national ... son-locals
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/109054 ... aori-santa
https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/108860 ... -the-boots
Last edited by Cetacea on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Loben
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Does it matter.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Cetacea wrote:So while other countries deal with gun violence, climate change and child sex trafficking, New Zealand this month has faced no less than two controversies concerning Santa and whether Santa parades can have the jolly Elf portrayed 1) by a Women 2) by another ethnicity (in this case a NZ Maori dressed in a red feather cloak)

People have lost jobs over the debate, Media commentators have had a field day and City Mayors have been forced to apologies to the nation. The fact they are debating a fictional character/marketing gimmick seems to have been overlooked in favour of outrage about tradition and anti-PC-ism.

So oh festive revellers of NSG as we wait for the lolly scramble could you gift me with your opinions - would you be outraged/saddened or confused should your communities local Santa was non-standard Gender or Ethnicity? Can Santa be portrayed aas anything other than a fat old white man?

Considering how many pagan mythological figures the modern corporate Santa is an awkward mishmash of? Why not?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:33 pm

Is this cultural appropriation?

It's not a big deal. Traditionally he's an old white guy. It's not a huge deal if he's not portrayed that way.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Freezic Vast
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:34 pm

Yes, move on.
20 year old, male from Pennsylvania and proud of it. Love sports like football, baseball and hockey, enjoy video games and TV. Music is love, music is life. I'm bi and conservative.
Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson ft. Miley Cyrus
Tired, and bored, need sleep.

Semparia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Semparia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:34 pm

maybe we need ww3
It has literally been 2 years since I last played this game. Hopefully now I RP better.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Who cares, the jolly cunt aint real anyway and is knicked from a bunch of fuckers from all over the shop

So yeah, bring unto yer maori santa claus chick and her fancy cloak, it doesnt matter. There is going to be different portrayals of characters anyway, dont get worked up over it.
Last edited by The Huskar Social Union on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:38 pm

IDC, Santa can be whatever he wants.

Fun fact: In the tv series Recess, he was black.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:38 pm

I think it depends on the depiction and the logic behind it. There's been movies where Santa is a Rorschach for those around him and see him as their respective race/gender and how Santa is not actually any of them specifically.

This strikes me as acceptable and not inconsistent with the lore. There's also white dude depictions, likewise consistent with the lore given the characters history.

If you're depicting Santa as a christmas entity who is not and has not been human but just sort of happened, then depicting them as any race or gender seems fine to me provided it isn't asserted they are in fact that race/gender. (I.E, it's fine to have a santa who looks like a black woman. Because Santa is not a black woman, not a white man, and this is merely how they present themselves to us.).

If you're depicting Santa as Saint Nicholas or S.N who has transformed into a christmas entity, they pretty much should be a white male.

There's also a mishmash of these two by which you can portray Santa as Saint Nicholas who merged with the spirit of christmas, thereby ceasing to be solely a white male and capable of presenting differently, but who tends toward white maleness because it's what he's most used to.

And then we get to The Santa Clause depiction, where Santa is a title that is handed down upon the previous holders death. This interpretation is acceptable to have minorities and women too, but is likely to go over less well because it involves telling children who say "i thought Santa was a white guy" straight up "Santa's dead kid, i'm his understudy."

The worst of them is going "No, ur wrong, Santa was always a black woman."

If minorities or women are depicting Santa, they should roll with the first explanation. This might piss off some tribalists on both sides since it involves specific denial and rejection of "Black Santa" and so on at the same time as rejecting "White Santa.", but is the only means (other than Clause), by which Santa can be portrayed as a minority or woman without straining credulity beyond that which is normally expected for a Santa depiction.

In terms of "representation" however it also provides the most room to maneuver and allows multiple combinations of demographic to be presented throughout the event, and also provides a means for mall santas to explain away the situation in various means AND explain away how all the various white guy Santas look "Different.".
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The Black Party
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Party » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:40 pm

This calls for a revolution.
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.
Moderators Lie.
"Revolt Against the Mod World"

Gartonch
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Gartonch » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:41 pm

Yes, he will always be an old fat white guy because... you know... :bow: WHITE SUPREMACY :bow:

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:41 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Who cares, the jolly cunt aint real anyway and is knicked from a bunch of fuckers from all over the shop

So yeah, bring unto yer maori santa claus chick and her fancy cloak, it doesnt matter. There is going to be different portrayals of characters anyway, dont get worked up over it.

We have enough problems already. What with the Dutch blackface thing and all.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Who Santa is such a mishmash of things anyway...
That said, the modern interpretation is essentially that of Saint Nicholas with a wee bit of Woden the Wanderer thrown in, plus gift bearing and red suits. I've seen all sorts of stupid interpretations of Santa, including a crucified santa in a Japanese shop window which made me unsure whether to laugh or cry.
The Wielderdom of Hrythingia
Þæs Ƿealdaríċe Hrýðinglondes

State type: Semi-Elective Monarchy
Leader: Earl Wynmar II of The Ashwold, Hrythwealda
Capital: Ernburh
Language: Hrystic (Old English)
Religion: Catholicism
Characteristics: Isolationist, mercantile, conservative, rural, deeply religious
Industries: sheep/beef agriculture, fishing, offshore oil, financial services
Britonnis nati, Anglis Dei Gratia! A Catholic Conservative Briton, Late Antiquities Student and Reservist Officer in training. Interests: hunting, rugby, choral music, history, literature, linguistics and alcohol.

Ar i Dduw, er mwyn fy Ngheidwad, Roddi i mi galon lân.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:45 pm

I don't disagree with a non-white Santa in principle, but upon seeing these 'offending' Santas in question, I must remark that they aren't all that festive-looking.
A woman Santa doesn't really make much sense given we already have Mrs. Claus, although I suppose it's acceptable if she's a particularly jolly woman.
But fat? Yes, he must be fat. Let's not get carried away here.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:45 pm

Bring back Saturnalia.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Rusthenia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rusthenia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 pm

if Santa is St. Nicholas as an Christmas..... deity? then he must be an white male, if an Christmas deity that isn't St. Nicholas then whatever man, just gotta be male
USS Monitor wrote:It's long...

✷A Marxist-Leninist state in Eurasian and the Alaskan Peninsula★
Moskva Chronicle: TEMPORARILY CLOSED 
International Coverage: TEMPORARILY CLOSED

NStats not used.

Berhakonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Berhakonia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 pm

Would you rather want him being portrayed as a Roman Robin Hood, going around slapping heretics at councils?

I mean, I would
A Confederation of Clans in Fealty to the Imperial Throne of Gobul
"There are foolish leaders who believe their subjects as lessers to be subjugated, and there are wise leaders who understand that they are their subjects are one in the same."
-Asrau Arslan XIV Jangpavalgan
Brotherhood, Tradition, Charity

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:46 pm

Rusthenia wrote:if Santa is St. Nicholas as an Christmas..... deity? then he must be an white male, if an Christmas deity that isn't St. Nicholas then whatever man, just gotta be male

Why? Do you have a list of every single deity worshipped as part of the winter solstice?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Rusthenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Rusthenia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:48 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Rusthenia wrote:if Santa is St. Nicholas as an Christmas..... deity? then he must be an white male, if an Christmas deity that isn't St. Nicholas then whatever man, just gotta be male

Why? Do you have a list of every single deity worshipped as part of the winter solstice?

because St. Nicholas was an white male. and https://www.thoughtco.com/deities-of-th ... ce-2562976, but were talking about Santa. and must Winter deities are Male.
Last edited by Rusthenia on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NStats not used.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:49 pm

We need this

Deus vult
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

PR New England
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby PR New England » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:49 pm

Cetacea wrote:So while other countries deal with gun violence, climate change and child sex trafficking, New Zealand this month has faced no less than two controversies concerning Santa and whether Santa parades can have the jolly Elf portrayed 1) by a Women 2) by another ethnicity (in this case a NZ Maori dressed in a red feather cloak)

So oh festive revellers of NSG as we wait for the lolly scramble could you gift me with your opinions - would you be outraged/saddened or confused if your communities local public Santa was non-standard Gender or Ethnicity? Can Santa be portrayed as anything other than a fat old white man?

I honestly don't care. If corporations want to make Santa woke/stunning and brave, that's okay with me because Jesus is the real focus of Christmas and Santa is just a Coca-Cola commercial. [1]
May 30, 1981: Clashes between black and white nationalists have been broken up by Louisiana police. President Dave Treen says that though the protest has been broken up and leaders on both sides have been arrested, there is still an environment of ethnic strife in Louisiana.

Current National Focus: People's Continental Army (40 days left)

Rusthenia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Rusthenia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:

We need this

Deus vult

Deus vult? WE MUST RETAKE JERUSALEM DEUS VULT DEUS VULT!

NStats not used.

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:51 pm

PR New England wrote:

I honestly don't care. If corporations want to make Santa woke/stunning and brave, that's okay with me because Jesus is the real focus of Christmas and Santa is just a Coca-Cola commercial. [1]

HEAR HEAR. I mean I'm all up for some festive cheer, mulled wine, roast goose and all the rest of it. But ultimately it is about Christ coming to earth in order to save mankind.
The Wielderdom of Hrythingia
Þæs Ƿealdaríċe Hrýðinglondes

State type: Semi-Elective Monarchy
Leader: Earl Wynmar II of The Ashwold, Hrythwealda
Capital: Ernburh
Language: Hrystic (Old English)
Religion: Catholicism
Characteristics: Isolationist, mercantile, conservative, rural, deeply religious
Industries: sheep/beef agriculture, fishing, offshore oil, financial services
Britonnis nati, Anglis Dei Gratia! A Catholic Conservative Briton, Late Antiquities Student and Reservist Officer in training. Interests: hunting, rugby, choral music, history, literature, linguistics and alcohol.

Ar i Dduw, er mwyn fy Ngheidwad, Roddi i mi galon lân.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Santa is Saami.

PR New England
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby PR New England » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Heloin wrote:Santa is Saami.

Ogay, dis is ebin :DDD
May 30, 1981: Clashes between black and white nationalists have been broken up by Louisiana police. President Dave Treen says that though the protest has been broken up and leaders on both sides have been arrested, there is still an environment of ethnic strife in Louisiana.

Current National Focus: People's Continental Army (40 days left)

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General