NATION

PASSWORD

Should we teach ALL school children how to code (computers)?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should kids learn to code in school

I know how to code and I think that ALL kids should learn to code in school (why?)
21%
I know how to code and I do NOT think that ALL kids should learn to code in school (why not?)
20%
I don't know how to code and I think that ALL kids should learn to code in school (why?)
31%
I don't know how to code and I do NOT think that ALL kids should learn to code in school (why not?)
24%
Other (Explain))
4%

Total votes : 80

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Should we teach ALL school children how to code (computers)?

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Should we teach school children how to code? I think that yes, yes we should. Coding is the future. As many more jobs are automated, we will always need coders to maintain these machines. Further, new jobs, such as app developers, are always springing up, jobs that didn't even exist 20 years ago. Therefore, imagine 20 years from now which hobs will exist that will require coding. Further, people who enter into traditional industries such as baking, medicine, etc. Will pobably need to learb to code to develop their own websites and apps. Besides, the benefits of learning coding go beyond employment. A school's primary goal is education, not emoyment. Coding teaches kids creativity and problem solving, both of which are very important. I think that coding should be compulsory from Kindergarden until atleast Year 8, then after that, be made an elective (an elective which all schools must offer). I dread never learning to code at school, despite undertaking IT classes. We only learnt a tiny little bit of HTML. I do NOT know how to code and I think that kids should learn to code at school. What do you think NSG?

EDIT:
Olay, let me clear up a few things:
1. We only need to teach children the fundamentals. We don't need to get too advanced. We should raise a generation who know the BASICS of computer code
2. You don't teach kids above their level. Obviously. You're not gonna teach a 5 year old, for example, how to create an advanced app
3. We don't replace any other subjects
4. "Not all kids will be programmers" so what? Not all kids will be biology, but we still need to learn basic biology. Not all kids will be architects/tradies, but everyone still needs to learn trigonometry. Not all kids will be physicists, but we still need to learn physics. Very few kids will be writers, but we still need to learn creative writing, etc. Similarly, not all kids will be coders, but the fundamentals is still good knowledge to poses. Like any other subject, if these kids want to persue coding a carrer, they can learn it further through school electives and through tertiary education
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Right wing humour squad
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Right wing humour squad » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:54 pm

No.
Currently adulting.
Reheated Donuts.
Minarchist and libertarian extremist.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:57 pm

I learnt a bit of Python and Visual Basic at school (Computer Science was one of the options for the mandatory Science classes in Grades 11 and 12), and honestly, not really. If everyone learns how to code, then they'll probably only learn enough to break shit but not enough to fix it, and there will be a glut of programmers.

But there should be classes where students can learn how to code things.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:57 pm

You mean they don't ? That has been part of the curriculum for well over 20 years now..

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:01 pm

The Grims wrote:You mean they don't ? That has been part of the curriculum for well over 20 years now..

Welcome to the rest of the world: while some countries require schoolkids to learn how to code, many don't. I only took the computer sciences classes just because they were easier than chemistry or biology.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm

You could try, I guess. I think it's the height of stupidity to think that computer coding is going to be a satisfying line of work for many people, though, or that very many people are going to find it very engaging even as a hobby. People have different interests, you know?
Insert trite farewell here

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:24 pm

The Grims wrote:You mean they don't ? That has been part of the curriculum for well over 20 years now..

No it hasn't.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Trinadaed
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trinadaed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:27 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Should we teach school children how to code? I think that yes, yes we should. Coding is the future. As many more jobs are automated, we will always need coders to maintain these machines. Further, new jobs, such as app developers, are always springing up, jobs that didn't even exist 20 years ago. Therefore, imagine 20 years from now which hobs will exist that will require coding. Further, people who enter into traditional industries such as baking, medicine, etc. Will pobably need to learb to code to develop their own websites and apps. Besides, the benefits of learning coding go beyond employment. A school's primary goal is education, not emoyment. Coding teaches kids creativity and problem solving, both of which are very important. I think that coding should be compulsory from Kindergarden until atleast Year 8, then after that, be made an elective (an elective which all schools must offer). I dread never learning to code at school, despite undertaking IT classes. We only learnt a tiny little bit of HTML. I do NOT know how to code and I think that kids should learn to code at school. What do you think NSG?

I would agree with you. Coding is amazing, it's a hobby I do daily. But it should replace P.E from Grades K to 5, and make P.E an elective, since P.E is boring.
W E A R E A L L P O T A T O E S .

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Trinadaed wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Should we teach school children how to code? I think that yes, yes we should. Coding is the future. As many more jobs are automated, we will always need coders to maintain these machines. Further, new jobs, such as app developers, are always springing up, jobs that didn't even exist 20 years ago. Therefore, imagine 20 years from now which hobs will exist that will require coding. Further, people who enter into traditional industries such as baking, medicine, etc. Will pobably need to learb to code to develop their own websites and apps. Besides, the benefits of learning coding go beyond employment. A school's primary goal is education, not emoyment. Coding teaches kids creativity and problem solving, both of which are very important. I think that coding should be compulsory from Kindergarden until atleast Year 8, then after that, be made an elective (an elective which all schools must offer). I dread never learning to code at school, despite undertaking IT classes. We only learnt a tiny little bit of HTML. I do NOT know how to code and I think that kids should learn to code at school. What do you think NSG?

I would agree with you. Coding is amazing, it's a hobby I do daily. But it should replace P.E from Grades K to 5, and make P.E an elective, since P.E is boring.

P.E is (supposed to be) important for everyone, now more then ever with the obesity epidemic. But few people will ever need to learn how to code, and the field moves so fast you’d never have the need to teach more then the fundamentals.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Trinadaed wrote:

That's a pretty stupid idea.

Trumptonium1
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Trinadaed wrote:

Yes just what we need, a bunch of obese programmers running tumbling around.
Last edited by Trumptonium1 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Preferred pronouns: His Majesty/Your Highness

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/
Resident Non-Pumpkin Character

Trinadaed
Envoy

Founded: Oct 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trinadaed » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:32 pm

Trumptonium1 wrote:
Trinadaed wrote:

lol
W E A R E A L L P O T A T O E S .

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Trumptonium1 wrote:
Trinadaed wrote:

"I can't run more than 20 feet and my resting heartrate is 110 bpm but dammit, I know Python!"

Trumptonium1
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Trumptonium1 wrote:

"I can't run more than 20 feet and my resting heartrate is 110 bpm but dammit, I know Python!"

Hopefully they can code themselves new genes so life expectancy won't be 65.
Preferred pronouns: His Majesty/Your Highness

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/
Resident Non-Pumpkin Character

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Trumptonium1 wrote:
Scomagia wrote:"I can't run more than 20 feet and my resting heartrate is 110 bpm but dammit, I know Python!"

I'm pretty sure sitting on your ass and mowing down Doritos and energy drinks will make 65 an optimistic estimate.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012

Postby New haven america » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:46 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Trumptonium1 wrote:

I'm pretty sure sitting on your ass and mowing down Doritos and energy drinks will make 65 an optimistic estimate.

That's a gamer stereotype and is wholly untrue.

Actual gamers eat pretzels and water/Gatorade.
Last edited by New haven america on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Teach math, language and basic problem solving. It will last longer, and has use outside of programming.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:51 pm

I know how to code.

And not all school kids should learn how to code.

I like my well paid job to stay well paid ;)

Also, coding is just one skill, if a kid has aptitude for it, yes, learn it. If not, learn something else.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:51 pm

As an actual professional programmer I don't think it's a bad idea. Obviously there is absolutely no change in hell you are going to teach them anything actually useful in real life at that age and with that little time. But it is going to introduce them to the subject and might lead those few actually talented for the art to take it up. I know that if I hadn't been introduced to it at that age I would newer have ended up where I am.

Just don't try and sell it as being any more important than art or sports or any of the other pointless ancillary subjects and don't expect to actually make them into programmers just because you gave them a course and you'll be fine.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Yuplo
Civilian

Founded: Jan 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuplo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:53 pm

Trumptonium1 wrote:
Scomagia wrote:"I can't run more than 20 feet and my resting heartrate is 110 bpm but dammit, I know Python!"

You joke, but that's the sort of thing society could achieve if more people were data literate. P.E. should probably be kept though...

Honestly, there's a huge logistical problem in that anyone who could teach a decent comp sci program here (US) can make far more money doing literally anything in industry. A lack of investment in education screws us over yet again.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Yuplo wrote:
Trumptonium1 wrote:

You joke, but that's the sort of thing society could achieve if more people were data literate. P.E. should probably be kept though...

Honestly, there's a huge logistical problem in that anyone who could teach a decent comp sci program here (US) can make far more money doing literally anything in industry. A lack of investment in education screws us over yet again.

Let's be real though, you won't be teaching school children anything really useful anyway. It's not like you can end up with university level education at age 18 just because you started sooner. Especially given the amount of math and other things you need to understand to actually be a proper programmer. The only thing you can realistically achieve with people that age is figure out which children have a natural talent and help them discover it.

To be honest, if I was a teacher I'd just encourage kids to take up game modding. That's basically programming only more fun because they get to play with their games.
Last edited by Purpelia on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:58 pm

New haven america wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I'm pretty sure sitting on your ass and mowing down Doritos and energy drinks will make 65 an optimistic estimate.

That's a gamer stereotype and is wholly untrue.

Actual gamers eat pretzels and water/Gatorade.

It was more of a crack about the poster who said PE should be replaced with coding than a shot at programmers.

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Aclion wrote:Teach math, language and basic problem solving. It will last longer, and has use outside of programming.

I'd rather have everyone taught the basics of everything in a real-life-applicable way.

So ordinary English would have reading consent forms instead of poetry, computer science would have solving common and less common computer (and maybe also home entertainment) breakdowns, physics would have DIY-applied physics or vehicle handling, etc...
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Petrolheadia wrote:
Aclion wrote:Teach math, language and basic problem solving. It will last longer, and has use outside of programming.

I'd rather have everyone taught the basics of everything in a real-life-applicable way.

So ordinary English would have reading consent forms instead of poetry, computer science would have solving common and less common computer (and maybe also home entertainment) breakdowns, physics would have DIY-applied physics or vehicle handling, etc...

Economics will let you fill in a tax form.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:18 pm

It's probably not a bad idea for people to have a better understanding of the underpinnings of the technology that surrounds them.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General