NATION

PASSWORD

Better Business Bureau [Feedback & Advice]

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:30 pm

Whilst what looks like a child's finger painting has a certain charm it is unlikely to help "sell" a product.

You need to think about what you find attractive in other storefronts and try to come some what close to replicating that.

Images aren't needed and personally if you can't find images to fit what you have in mind and can't/won't find the inspiration, drive or tools to create a picture that fits your mental picture of your creation then it's best just to skip the image and stick to the medium which you can manipulate: words.

Stat blocks help and are a good starting point in convincing a customer that you know what you are talking about. As an aside here the key is always convincing people you know the product you are selling and as such you need to use the common units and measurements used in the field you wish to create a product in and give those specs that start to lay the ground work for the design as a whole.

Whilst specs can be hard they are only the beginning, it's the actual description that brings your product to life and to get this right you need to have researched what you are trying to create and be able to put that across in an interesting or at least technically accurate manner.

If someone with only a passing knowledge of a subject or a mind to put in a couple of minutes on the Wikipedia articles on can instantly spot errors and worst of all copy pasta then frankly you have failed to sell your product.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Neu Engollon » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:28 pm

Another way to phrase my same approach of 'less pictures, more words', only a little less diplomatic about the featured graphic. To each their own.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:12 pm

And as always, RL sources are your friend. Take a look at a Wiki page for M1 Abrams, for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams

The pictures may help, but ultimately, it's good to have the specs.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:16 am

Neu Engollon wrote:Another way to phrase my same approach of 'less pictures, more words', only a little less diplomatic about the featured graphic. To each their own.

Well that plus the exhortations to "know your shit" and "don't copy pasta".
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Crazybloxian Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Libertarian Police State

Postby Crazybloxian Empire » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:38 am

I can’t create spec sheets because of a mod ruling prohibiting me from creating multiple threads for a single storefront. It’s JUST impacting my ability to make good storefronts. That’s the best I can make because I DON’T have a PC IRL/In Real Life.
Crazybloxian Empire

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:47 am

Start writing now Crazybloxia. Don't be afraid about making mistakes. Don't care what other people think about your work so long as we write write write and never stop writing we will eventually be better at it. Storefronts can be successful without fancy graphics and pictures and arguably they bring more satisfaction to their storefront owners (some good examples: New Edom's theatre storefront and a naval storefront by Sheikha or something like that the name of the player)

I know you can do it Crazybloxia!
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Crazybloxian Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Libertarian Police State

Postby Crazybloxian Empire » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:05 am

Yohannes wrote:Start writing now Crazybloxia. Don't be afraid about making mistakes. Don't care what other people think about your work so long as we write write write and never stop writing we will eventually be better at it. Storefronts can be successful without fancy graphics and pictures and arguably they bring more satisfaction to their storefront owners (some good examples: New Edom's theatre storefront and a naval storefront by Sheikha or something like that the name of the player)

I know you can do it Crazybloxia!

Yup, you sure do! We are real-life allies, and we have embassies too. I prefer storefronts with big ammounts of text and little illustration, NYT style.

EDIT: I just copied a bit of the Wikipedia infoboxes, removed the values of each variable, and plugged in my own.
Last edited by Crazybloxian Empire on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazybloxian Empire

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:15 am

No need to make the information huge (I mean I personally wouldn't read huge stuff unless I really want to). So long as it has the following: what, why, where, when, how, then it should be good. Say, a fictional tank. Look at wikipedia article for closest match (as Valentine Z said), okay a copy (well not a copy but you know what I mean) of Abrams for your nation.

What?

Tell me what is this design? A main battle tank. Okay. What is the gun? What is the armour material? What is the engine? What is the number of crew? (just some examples)

Why?

Why did your fictional nation/government/character/company/whatever design this tank? For what reason?

Where?

Where did they design the tank? With what technology available? For what reason? Dangerous neighbours? Arms race/competition with your rivals? To fill a missing role for your armed forces?

When?

When did they start designing this tank? What was the reason behind them starting to design this tank?

How?

How did you develop the technology/parts/designs used by this tank? How did you develop its gun, armour, engine, etc.

They don't require paragraphs of information and a simple Wikipedia read of popular main battle tanks is enough. That siad, don't be afraid about making mistakes if anyones making fun of your stuff tell them to telegram me I'll sort them out for u boss!
Last edited by Yohannes on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:23 am

If you need Wiki-like tables, there are many resources around this side of NS that you can use (and put in their codes) into yours. Most of them are fine with it (after all, it's a template for you to use), but you should always give credit where credit's due.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=970343

^ To shamelessly plug, this is what I did for one of my android characters in my universe. No, not an Android phone; android robot. It's for a computer/camera, but you can change the headers and stuff for tanks, or whatever else you want to sell.

(Go to the bottom and click on Raw; that should give you the code I used).
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:45 am

Crazybloxian Empire wrote:I can’t create spec sheets because of a mod ruling prohibiting me from creating multiple threads for a single storefront. It’s JUST impacting my ability to make good storefronts. That’s the best I can make because I DON’T have a PC IRL/In Real Life.

There is no need for multiple threads unless you fully plan on creating multiple products each with enough detail to fill a whole post across several different product catagories and even then there are numerous alternatives such as off site forums and wikis (ns related or not) and even your fact book.
Heck you could even do stuff like give brief details in your thread and then link to a full pdf brochure. The possibilities are almost endless it just needs a little creative thought and a willingness to try stuff.
Nobody uses the exact same process or tools so the best advice is to focus on thinking what you can do and seeing where that leads you.
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:49 am

Crookfur wrote:
Crazybloxian Empire wrote:I can’t create spec sheets because of a mod ruling prohibiting me from creating multiple threads for a single storefront. It’s JUST impacting my ability to make good storefronts. That’s the best I can make because I DON’T have a PC IRL/In Real Life.

There is no need for multiple threads unless you fully plan on creating multiple products each with enough detail to fill a whole post across several different product catagories and even then there are numerous alternatives such as off site forums and wikis (ns related or not) and even your fact book.
Heck you could even do stuff like give brief details in your thread and then link to a full pdf brochure. The possibilities are almost endless it just needs a little creative thought and a willingness to try stuff.
Nobody uses the exact same process or tools so the best advice is to focus on thinking what you can do and seeing where that leads you.

Ooh, I like that idea. You can basically turn it into an ACME - Maybe a centralised storefront that sells everything, from fresh food, to military hardware. You can have separate categories with links on who can buy what (e.g. military hardware can only be bought in limited amounts or from a valid buyer, while an Average Joe or a low-level representative of a country can buy food items).

As for the drawing, don't fret if you don't have the tools for that. I have a PC, but my drawing skills are utter rubbish. You can ask around on megathreads, for there are people that will help you draw up the thing you need. Of course, do bear in mind that we are all doing this for free and we have our own committments, so large-scale stuff like modelling a tank with exact specs will take time.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:10 pm

I know this post is a couple days old and I'm not trying to be rude, but if you don't have a proper device for posting, then maybe you should consider not trying to make complex threads/posts until you do?

I mean I was without a laptop for basically two weeks until just yesterday and, even though I knew I had replies to my storefront, I didn't reply to them because trying to make long and complex posts using a phone touchscreen is a right pain in the ass.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Robostania
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Robostania » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:30 pm

Is there someone who can create maps for me?
☵ ROBOSTANIA ☵
The Perfect Corporatocracy: RoboCorp Inc.
⛊ The Esportivan Undertakers ⛊

Gandoor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 23, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gandoor » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:38 pm

ROBOSTANIA wrote:Is there someone who can create maps for me?

If you're looking for someone to create maps for you, try the Map Request Thread in F&NI.
OOC - Call me Viola
IC Flag|Gandoor Wiki|Q&A|National Currency Database
Reminder that true left-wing politics are incompatible with imperialism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, and dictatorship in all forms.
Flag is currently a Cinderace.
I'm transfeminine non-binary (but I don't mind or care if you refer to me as a woman).
She/They
27 years old
OOC Info
Twitter: @Sailor_Viola
Steam: Princess Viola
Mastodon: @princessviola@retro.pizza
TGs are welcome

Prosorusiya
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Prosorusiya » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:05 pm

Oooo like the new thread!

I am thinking of possibly making a new storefront myself, a PMC. I know, I know contributing to the problem of bland storefronts, but I think I might actually find it better than other storefronts that I have tried to run before, because it would allow me to really engage with my customers after the sale of my goods\services which is something I have wanted to pursue for a while.

The only thing is I am not on nationstate as much as I once was, so I am thinking of telling my customers to contact me through offsite means. Is that a good idea, or doomed from the get go?
AH Ossetia (1921-1989)

10th Anniversary: NS User Since 2012

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:55 pm

It might be better if you had someone who you trust help run the storefront while you are away.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012

Postby Neu Engollon » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:23 am

Prosorusiya wrote:Oooo like the new thread!

I am thinking of possibly making a new storefront myself, a PMC. I know, I know contributing to the problem of bland storefronts, but I think I might actually find it better than other storefronts that I have tried to run before, because it would allow me to really engage with my customers after the sale of my goods\services which is something I have wanted to pursue for a while.

The only thing is I am not on nationstate as much as I once was, so I am thinking of telling my customers to contact me through offsite means. Is that a good idea, or doomed from the get go?

Just curious, if you're intending to not be on NS as much, why make a new PMC storefront? Just because it's cool, or you actually plan to use it to RP? 'Engaging with your customers after the sale of services' seems like you want to RP with it beyond a simple transaction, but if you won't be around much on the site, that's kind of limiting. If you need advice on what to include in the storefront, that particular GE&T niche is kind of one of the things I'm known for around here.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Awesome Dudes and Dudettes
Attaché

Founded: Jun 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Awesome Dudes and Dudettes » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:30 pm

What are essential materials and resources each countries needs? I have a few ideas about creating a storefront and selling important raw materials.
General Jakerson, President and Founder of The Federation of Awesome Dudes and Dudettes
ANARCHY!!!
life is cool
vox guitars are underapperciated, you should listen to more post-punk, watch more films, make more art, and read more books
“It is fun to be alive. It's a hell of a lot better than being dead.” ― Joe Strummer, "Think globally, act locally."-Paul McCartney, "A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." -John Lennon
_[' ]_- [_★_]- i\/\/i - ✿~✿ -⟨*✝*⟩
( -_Q) ( -_- ) ( -_- ) ( -_- ) ( -_- )
Copy and paste this into your signature if you support cool hats

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:37 pm

Awesome Dudes and Dudettes wrote:What are essential materials and resources each countries needs? I have a few ideas about creating a storefront and selling important raw materials.

Hi Awesome Dude,

I'm going to assume your nation has a typical market economy. Generally anything/all things that are tied to the basket goods (CPI and related indices) which your nation's goverment must use to measure price changes and household income/living standard changes in your nation. For instance, in my nation they are crude petroleum, grain, bovine meat, (certain type of) steel, iron, etc.

For Global Economics and Trade, however, you're not expected to follow these real life priciples since not everyone here is s macroeconomist in real life :)

Some of the more important commoditues in GE&T since 2010 has been: crude petroleum, iron, steel and various metal commodities (e.g. gold, silver)

Edit: my telegram box is open if you need more information. I'm in the,middle of a meeting break at the momwt so writing from phone ( but that basic information should be enough fir now!)
Last edited by Yohannes on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valkea
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 16, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Valkea » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:01 am

Yohannes wrote:
Awesome Dudes and Dudettes wrote:What are essential materials and resources each countries needs? I have a few ideas about creating a storefront and selling important raw materials.

Hi Awesome Dude,

I'm going to assume your nation has a typical market economy. Generally anything/all things that are tied to the basket goods (CPI and related indices) which your nation's goverment must use to measure price changes and household income/living standard changes in your nation. For instance, in my nation they are crude petroleum, grain, bovine meat, (certain type of) steel, iron, etc.

For Global Economics and Trade, however, you're not expected to follow these real life priciples since not everyone here is s macroeconomist in real life :)

Some of the more important commoditues in GE&T since 2010 has been: crude petroleum, iron, steel and various metal commodities (e.g. gold, silver)

Edit: my telegram box is open if you need more information. I'm in the,middle of a meeting break at the momwt so writing from phone ( but that basic information should be enough fir now!)

I'll have you know that I got a Doctor in Macroeconomics and Management twice. /s
V A L K E A NT A S A V A L T AI K U I E S E S T IV A L K E A !

AstyF1: 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023
Look at me, I'm the main nation now.

Ariwana
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ariwana » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:22 am

I want to start writing about companies in Ariwana with my phone. Can Anyone help me, how maximal post to design the company?
A R I W A N A

Information | Economy Outlook | Embassy & Consulate Service | Dialog

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:05 am

What are the best ideas for realistically simulating the value of the Minoan tala from 2025 to 2099, down to the exchange rate and the inflation rate?
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Special Aromas
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Special Aromas » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:43 am

Minoa wrote:What are the best ideas for realistically simulating the value of the Minoan tala from 2025 to 2099, down to the exchange rate and the inflation rate?

Use a random number generator in excel to automatically generate the change in quarterly growth rates. Use the Match(Rand()) function so the values group around a baseline.

value2 = value1 *( initial growth rate + random number)

Realistically, you might be able to predict recessions or upturns in the next few years but beyond that, you might as well use a number generator. There's too many variables in an economy to realistically predict growth beyond the near future.

Deutschess Kaiserreich
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Deutschess Kaiserreich » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Are we allowed to have bounties on people here?

If so How would you recommend me to do it?
The Deutsches Kaiserreich
The Kaiserriech is an alternative history timeline where Germany won the First Weltkreig. Currently, the Kaiserriech is a Federal Monarchy. Our current leader is Victoria Louise Adelheid Mathilde Charlotte the Second. For more information.
Socialist Minecraft Server wrote:Im thinking about what im thinking about what im thinking
Ethnic Female German living in [REDACTED] (Not comfortable with revealing my identity).

Proud Monarch of the ♔♚IMPERION COALITION♚♔
Retconning lots of lore so expect some non-sensical parts in my factbooks.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Doppio Giudici » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:30 pm

I was recommended to move my question here from the FTAAT.

I just realized that if I backed my money with kilowatt hours, and it managed to slow down inflation....The rest of the world would keep trucking along with higher inflation then me.

Over the period of like 100 years, this would mean my currency would rise in value compared to others on my homeplanet.

Is there like a economic assistance thread? I think I accidentally made the cost of labor so much more costly compared to other nations, that no one would buy my exports. This is clearly why China keeps devaluing it's currency.

Should I be panicking about declining imports?
I use this old account for FT, Pentaga Giudici and Vadia are for MT.

"Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening"

Construction is taking forever, but Prole Confederation will be paying millions of Trade Units for embassies and merchants that show up at the SBTH

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade