NATION

PASSWORD

PUBLISHED: A Polar Bear's Tale

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

PUBLISHED: A Polar Bear's Tale

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:04 am

title] A Polar Bear's Tale

[desc] @@RANDOMNAME@@ went to a beach in @@ANIMAL@@ City and decided to call the police on beach-goers who didn't bring a polar bear with them. The police were ready to laugh at the accuser, until searching through the archives discovering a law prohibiting humans from visiting beaches unless accompanied by polar bears, a law created to help @@NAME@@ win the 5 week war. The incident made national headlines and brought the issue of looney laws to your desk

[option] "This is a stupid law!" complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was interrogated during the incident "I was interrogated by police for half an hour because I didn't have a polar bear. Where am I supposed to find a polar bear in this climate? Not only that, but right here in @@CAPITAL@@, it's illegal to own a pink watch and purple handbag. These laws are stupid, and you should get rid of them!"
[effect] the government spends more time erasing laws than controlling inflation

[option] "You can't be serious!" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, who's wearing goggles because @@HE@@ is within 100 cubits of a fire hose. "We can't go around erasing every law on the books! That's too much paperwork. Instead, we should punish the over-zealous police officers for trying to enforce these stupid laws!"
[effect] police are punished for enforcing the law

[option] "Excuse me, but you seem to be forgetting that these people broke the law." Reminds @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was punished under @@HIS@@ appartment's bylaws for holding an orange in @@HIS@@ left hand on a cloudy day "Put these criminals in prison where they belong. I don't care how "stupid" you think it is, the fact of the matter is that these people didn't bring their polar bears to the beach and thus disobeyed the law! Put them in prison with the others who failed to obey the law!"
[policy reversal] no prison
[effect] half of the nation's prisons are filled with people who had the wrong coloured crayon in the supermarket

[desc] @@RANDOMNAME@@ went to a beach in @@ANIMAL@@ City and decided to call the police on beach-goers who didn't bring a polar bear with them. The police were ready to laugh at the accuser, until searching through the archives discovering a law prohibiting humans from visiting beaches unless accompanied by polar bears, a law created to help @@NAME@@ win the 5 week war in the early 1800s. The incident made national headlines and brought the issue of looney laws to your desk

[option] "This is a stupid law!" complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was interrogated during the incident "I was interrogated by police for half an hour because I didn't have a polar bear. Where am I supposed to find a polar bear in this climate? Not only that, but right here in @@CAPITAL@@, it's illegal to own a pink watch and purple handbag. These laws are stupid, and you should get rid of them!"
[effect] the government spends more time erasing laws than controlling inflation

[option] "You can't be serious!" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, who's wearing goggles because @@HE@@ is 100 cubits of a fire hose. "We can't go around erasing every law on the books! That's too much paperwork. Instead, we should punish the over-zealous police officers for trying to enforce these stupid laws!"

[option] "Excuse me, but you seem to be forgetting that these people broke the law." Reminds @@RANDOMNAME@@, who was punished under @@HIS@@ appartment's bylaws for holding an orange in @@HIS@@ left hand on a cloudy day "Put these criminals in prison where they belong. I don't care how "stupid" you think it is, the fact of the matter is that these people didn't bring their polar bears to the beach and thus disobeyed the law! Put them in prison with the others who failed to obey the law!"
[effect] half of the nation's prisons are filled with people who had the wrong coloured crayon in the supermarket

[desc] @@RANDOMNAME@@ went to a beach in @@ANIMAL@@ City and decided to call the police on beach-goers who didn't bring a polar bear with them. The police were ready to laugh at the accuser, until searching through the archives discovering a law prohibiting humans from visiting beaches unless accompanied by polar bears. The incident made national headlines and brought the issue of looney laws to your desk

[option] "You can't be serious!" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, who's wearing goggles because @@HE@@ is 100 cubits of a fire hose. "We can't go around erasing every law on the books! That's too much paperwork. Instead, we should punish the over-zealous police officers for trying to enforce these stupid laws!"

[title] A Polar Bear's Tail

[desc] @@RANDOMNAME@@ went to a beach in @@ANIMAL@@ City and decided to call the police on beach-goers who didn't bring a polar bear with them. The police were ready to laugh at the accuser, until searching through the archives discovering a law prohibiting humans from visiting beaches unless accompanied by polar bears. The incident made national headlines and brought the issue of looney laws to your desk

[option] "You can't be serious!" suggests @@RANDOMNAME@@, "We can't go around erasing every law on the books! That's too much paperwork. Instead, we should punish the over-zealous police officers for trying to enforce these stupid laws!"

[option] "Excuse me, but you seem to be forgetting that these people broke the law." Reminds @@RANDOMNAME@@ who was punished . "Put these criminals in prison where they belong, in prison. I don't care how "stupid" you think it is, the fact of the matter is that these people didn't bring their polar bears to the beach and thus disobeyed the law! Put them in prison with the others who failed to obey the law!"
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Don't we already have an issue on this topic? I'm surprised...

Other than that, this is an excellent draft. The idea of everyone needing polar bears to visit the beach is a very amusing little idea. The options are nice and the outcomes amusing.

I'd like to see a bit more characterisation for the second and third speakers though if that's possible. Either by actions or by words, because right now it's just a name and a handful of lines. For example, I imagine the last speaker as saying this while complying with all of the silly laws like, say, by wearing goggles because they live on the fourth floor or is being careful to hold an orange in their left hand while the weather is cloudy.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:12 pm

Good premise
Chan Island wrote:
I'd like to see a bit more characterization for the second and third speakers though if that's possible. Either by actions or by words, because right now it's just a name and a handful of lines. For example, I imagine the last speaker as saying this while complying with all of the silly laws like, say, by wearing goggles because they live on the fourth floor or is being careful to hold an orange in their left hand while the weather is cloudy.

I agree with Chan Island in that the second choice needs more characterization. For instance, you could make him a layer or a bureaucrat.
In addition, you could add a part where @@RANDOMNAME_1@@ is arrested because he failed to comply with the apartments bylaws or something along those lines

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:54 am

Thanks to Chan and New Ladavia. The new draft is up. Thank you Chan and New Ladavia!
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:30 am

Nice premise, but I feel somewhere you need to mention why taking a polar bear to the beach is the law.

Example:

It’s hard to confirm the exact history of the ice cream sundae, but the general idea goes like this: Ice cream sundaes are the direct result of Blue Laws, which are religious laws in the United States that restrict activities that could be considered sinful. One example of a Blue Law is the ban on the sale of liquor in certain places on Sundays. In the late 1800s, there was another Blue Law on the books that made it illegal to sell soda on Sunday. Some religious groups were against what they called “sucking sodas” and felt that this activity should be banned on the Sabbath.

This ban on Sunday soda sales was a big problem for anyone that enjoyed root beer floats or other ice cream sodas. At the time, pharmacists (called druggists in those days) were doing a booming business in ice cream sodas at their pharmacy counters. They needed another way to sell ice cream to their customers on hot Sunday afternoons. Their solution was to replace the soda with chocolate sauce, a move that made everyone happy — ice cream lovers, druggists and those that disapproved of soda.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:05 am

Baggieland wrote:Nice premise, but I feel somewhere you need to mention why taking a polar bear to the beach is the law.

This. Even those old laws that seem ridiculous now probably had a reason for existence originally. Well, maybe unless they were created by somebody like Caligula, but then I'd expect them to have been repealed quickly by the following government anyway...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:54 pm

I wonder they created a law against getting fish drunk. Anyway, thanks Baggie and Bears! Fixed. Next draft is up

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:02 pm

I wouldn't reference a certain time in the description. Rather, I would say 'made during the founding years of the nation' or something of the sort.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:55 am

Next draft is up
Sacara wrote:I wouldn't reference a certain time in the description. Rather, I would say 'made during the founding years of the nation' or something of the sort.

I made it more vague. Thanks Sacara!

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:28 am

@@DENONYM@@ warrior taking a break from the fiercest fighting during the 5 week war, painting.

In other thoughts, I think this draft is in good condition. Careful in option 2, because the speaker is either 100 cubits from, not of a fire hose., is is within 100 cubits of the fire hose.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 am

Admittedly your suggestion baffled me for a bit, Chan; dunno if Aussie'll get it.
I imagine he would, but to be on the safe side:

Chan means it's either 100 cubits from or within 100 cubits of.

ed: and tbf Chan I did just wake up not too long ago so I might've been the only one at first confused by your phrasing. >_>
Last edited by Jutsa on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:13 pm

I do like the absurdity of this issue. Regarding the third speaker, does it really make sense for someone who has been so negatively affected by silly laws to advocate for keeping them as they are? I'd think they'd rather be against them.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:32 pm

RE: Chan and Jutsa, I forgot to fix the typo. Sorry
RE: Hedi. Or maybe he's so sour he wants to f$$k everyone over

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:29 pm

Last call
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:47 am

Submitted

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:55 am

Good luck!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:03 pm

Bears Armed wrote:Good luck!

Thanks!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:37 pm

A Polar Bear's Tale is now the 1237th Issue in the game (Well 1238th, bc issue 0). Thanks to Baggie for the publish!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:19 am

Congratulations!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:26 am

Thanks, guys!

Krogon
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Krogon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:12 am

Love it. Congrats on the publish, Aussie.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:44 am

Krogon wrote:Love it. Congrats on the publish, Aussie.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?