NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED; #1238] - No Shoes, No Service

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[ACCEPTED; #1238] - No Shoes, No Service

Postby Sacara » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:20 pm

[Name] No Shoes, No Service
[Desc] The rise of the Barefoot Wanderers, a newly formed religion, has led to an increasing number of people going about their daily lives without shoes or socks on. @@RANDOMNAME(1)@@, famous movie star and new convert to the religion, recently made national headlines after @@HE@@ was forcibly removed from an uptown restaurant for @@HIS(1)@@ lack of footwear.
[Validity] allows religion, does not have theocracy, does not have prudism

[option] "This is discrimination in its dirtiest form, just like in my upcoming movie, Faith Laid Bare," raves @@RANDOMLASTNAME(1)@@, pointedly resting @@HIS(1)@@ dirt-caked feet on your desk. "It says in our most sacred texts that covering toes is giving service to the Sock-Devil. Being forced to wear such abominations is oppressing religious freedom! Besides, look at these toes, just look at them. Ain't they beautiful?" @@HE(1)@@ wiggles them under your nose.
[effect] posh restaurants scatter glass fragments on the dining room floor to keep out barefoot undesirables

[option] "Do you really want to dine in an establishment that allows smelly, uncovered feet inside?" counters the manager of the restaurant in question, who is clearly repulsed by the shoeless @@MAN(1)@@ standing next to @@HIM(2)@@. "We have a sign that clearly states our 'No Shoes, No Service' policy, and that is for the enjoyment of our people that we serve. I think businesses should be able to enjoy the right to put restrictions on clothing, however ludicrous those may seem."
[effect] signs saying "No Poor People or Weirdoes" are common outside shops and cafés

[option] "Bl-euch! These foot-worshippers and toe-fetishists make me sick!" gags your Minister of Standards, adjusting his pink-and-green three-piece suit and yellow suede brogues. "I say that allowing people to dress so sloppily is ruining the very fabric of @@NAME@@! You must demand that everyone should wear smart shoes at all times when in public. It's about professionalism and decency, don't you know?"
[effect] shaking a stone out of your shoe is considered to be dangerously risqué
Last edited by Sacara on Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:35 am

Solidly written. Feels a bit "small" at present. Not that we haven't done small before, but maybe you could try to find a way to make the narrative feel to be of national importance.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:02 am

I feep as if you mention whether or not this restirant was located on a beach. I feel as if that would make a difference
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:50 am

Australian rePublic wrote:I feep as if you mention whether or not this restirant was located on a beach. I feel as if that would make a difference
I assume that most people aren't only religiously observant at the beach.

Maybe if you worship a god of the sea?

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:05 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Solidly written. Feels a bit "small" at present. Not that we haven't done small before, but maybe you could try to find a way to make the narrative feel to be of national importance.
Hmm... Maybe make it about the religion in general? I kind of like the current narrative, though.
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:I feep as if you mention whether or not this restirant was located on a beach. I feel as if that would make a difference
I assume that most people aren't only religiously observant at the beach.

Maybe if you worship a god of the sea?

Not necassirly. Some people (irrespective of their faith, or lack thereof) tend to vist beaches without shoes, so resturants there might be more leniant
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:16 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Not necassirly. Some people (irrespective of their faith, or lack thereof) tend to vist beaches without shoes, so resturants there might be more leniant
I know. How is this relevant?

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Option 2 feels like it goes a little sideways, to me. It starts out strong, but the leap to "nobody anywhere can be outside without shoes" seems like an extra hop, in my opinion, and is just as "out there" as option 3's banning of shoes all together.

I would suggest as a possibility maintaining the first part of option 2, about having a sign that is clear, and the reason for it. I would take the second half more in to an argument of "this is a private business, we should have the right to determine who we do or don't serve." That would be very a propos issues that have been ongoing in the news with things like a bakery refusing to bake a cake for a gay couple, and I think it would fit in a good niche as far as stats and such. It would also serve as solid counterpoint to the first option, which carries with it the implication of businesses not having any rights in this regard.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:23 pm

Verdant Haven wrote:Option 2 feels like it goes a little sideways, to me. It starts out strong, but the leap to "nobody anywhere can be outside without shoes" seems like an extra hop, in my opinion, and is just as "out there" as option 3's banning of shoes all together.
Hm... I kind of liked option two as it is, but I'm willing to hear more on whether it's too extreme from others as well.
Commended by SC #382

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:24 pm

another validity I just thought of: "Must not have compulsory nudism". :lol:

edit: for that matter, "must not have prudism" too
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:36 pm

Jutsa wrote:another validity I just thought of: "Must not have compulsory nudism". :lol:

I thought of compulsory nudism, but I did a quick search and found this:
The Free Joy State wrote:And, to repeat a tired point, fashion is not restricted to clothing. It also covers hair, make-up, jewelry, piercings, body art, handbags, shoes (banning clothing does not mean banning shoes -- especially in a rocky or urbanized area).
Commended by SC #382

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:33 am

Sacara wrote:
Jutsa wrote:another validity I just thought of: "Must not have compulsory nudism". :lol:

I thought of compulsory nudism, but I did a quick search and found this:
The Free Joy State wrote:And, to repeat a tired point, fashion is not restricted to clothing. It also covers hair, make-up, jewelry, piercings, body art, handbags, shoes (banning clothing does not mean banning shoes -- especially in a rocky or urbanized area).

That's an issue all for it's own.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 am

Yeah thinking about it prudism's probably not a problem either >_>
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:41 am

Still looking for opinion: should I remove the part that mandates that shoes are worn everywhere or not? Verdant has stated that he doesn't like it already, just looking for more feedback on it.
Commended by SC #382

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:12 pm

I like the idea, but more as a potential final option than a reasonable second option. :P

Option 2 might be better as a "we should be able to put up any clothing restrictions we want, such as dressing formally", etc.
idk but still, I think that'd be better. Just removing the "make people wear shoes" and not doing that would make it a bit of a dismiss button.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:15 am

Major update to the draft:

- Reworked the description to make it 'bigger'.
- Removed the ending of the option and made it solely about business rights.
- Made a new option between the old two and three, which prohibits being barefoot and enacts prudism.

Let me know what you guys think about the new draft!
Commended by SC #382

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm trying to think of a funnier effect line for option 3. Maybe something along the lines of "public nudity is legal as long as people say it's for 'religious reasons'? Yeah, it needs work.
Last edited by Hediacrana on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:46 am

Hediacrana wrote:I'm trying to think of a funnier effect line for option 3. Maybe something along the lines of "public nudity is legal as long as people say it's for 'religious reasons'? Yeah, it needs work.

We've already got an issue whose effect lines include one with people being seen "only in leopard-skin g-strings" for religious reasons...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Just some commentary on the effect line for option 2: businesses arbitrarily kick out noisy customers for not wearing the clothing. In this instance what would be "the clothing" Mabey a solution to this would be: businesses arbitrarily kick out noisy customers in three-piece suits. however then this would affect the wording in option three so at the end of the day, it's your choice.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:44 am

Did a little adjusting here and there.

Besides a few effect lines, I'm feeling decently good about this one. I'll keep it up for a few more days then submit, but in the meantime, I would love to hear suggestions about the effect lines.
Commended by SC #382

New Ladavia
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Ladavia » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:40 pm

[effect] religious figures cry discrimination every time they are questioned

the leader of @@FAITH@@ has diplomatic immunity

[effect] businesses arbitrarily kick out noisy customers for not wearing proper clothing

not even @@LEADER@@ can escape the wrath of the chef in a restaurant the slums of @@CAPITAL@@/Only Fashion models can eat outside of soup kitchens

Option three is good
Last edited by New Ladavia on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:36 pm

Sorry I've been inactive lately -- I've been really busy, but things should start cooling down next week.

As for now, I plan on putting this on last call, but I'll leave it up for a bit. I'll also post a few drafts in the upcoming days.
Commended by SC #382

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:54 pm

[option] "You know, this whole thing has got me to think why we even wear shoes in the first place," contemplates your most woke advisor, while staring off into a wall. "I mean, I can never find the right size of shoe to fight, and it's getting really annoying. We need to just outright ban the sale and wearing of shoes. This planet was made to be walked upon by our feet, not some ugly rubber soles."
[effect] the stench of unwashed feet fill the streets of @@CAPITAL@@

I'm sure the bolded should be "fit," considering that people don't go looking for shoes "to fight."
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:29 pm

Victorious Decepticons wrote:I'm sure the bolded should be "fit," considering that people don't go looking for shoes "to fight."

Change this, then it looks submittable to me.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:12 am

Good Luck!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?