NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Disposable Knowledge

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Firnea
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

[DRAFT] Disposable Knowledge

Postby Firnea » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 am

[TITLE] Disposable Knowledge

[DESCRIPTION] Over time, an uncountable amount of books has landed in the garbage cans and the dumpsters of @@NAME@@, a development that hasn't gone unnoticed behind the gates of the many @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ landfills. A group of appalled garbagemen has now taken it into their gloved hands to secure as many books sent to the landfills as possible, and wrapped up their savings to turn an abandoned warehouse in the suburbs of @@CAPITAL@@ into a crummy, but well functioning library, where poor families and especially their children can get books for free. The case has attracted the attention of local media, and is now brought before you.

[VALIDITY] All nations can receive this issue (unless I'm missing something)

[OPTION 1] "Each and every one of these spirited garbage workers deserves nation-wide recognition! A medal! Or at least a major wage raise", says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a dedicated history teacher known for their regular and active political commitment. "It's a shame how half of @@NAME@@ desperately needs books for their children while the other half doesn't know how to appreciate theirs properly. And, let's be honest: it shouldn't be the responsibility of the city's garbagemen to secure disposed books. We should erect discharge stations for books all over the country, and start a public campaign promoting the significance of our books so they'll finally end in the hands of the needy! One man's trash can be another man's treasure, after all. Oh, and please, someone help these fine people to maintain their library at the edge of @@CAPITAL@@. They have their own jobs to take care of."

[EFFECT] The average @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ city has more public libraries than takeaway food restaurants.

[OPTION 2] "Well, damn right you are about 'own jobs to take care of'!", bellows @@RANDOMNAME@@, manager of the landfill and superior to the local hero garbagemen. "Last time I checked, I paid these loungers to collect the city's trash instead of playing Robin Hood for the uneducated poor. All the trash ending up on our landfills is either burned for electricity, or searched for valuable scrap. We make actual money of what the townspeople dispose of, so instead of praising my so-called workforce, they should be charged for theft, and prosecuted! We must have lost at least 30 @@CURRENCYS@@s of revenue a week because of this nonsense..."

[EFFECT] Street lamps in @@NAME@@ keep burning while light bulbs above the heads of disadvantaged school schildren are nowhere to be found.

[OPTION 3] As you tilt your head to consider your options, suddenly, your Minister of Education, @@RANDOMNAME@@, taps your shoulder rather unnervingly. "You see, @@LEADER@@, if we had finally brought this education package underway I've been talking about for the last seven months, we wouldn't be in this situation. Make books free, for everyone in @@NAME@@, so nobody will be forced to search the trash just to get their hands on a good read. Sure, a lot more books will and in the trash with that, but we can at least assume they'll have been read by people who actually made use of them." Looking at the landfill manager, the minister leans forward to whisper to your ear: "It would boost the book publishing industry as well, and also provide more electricity generated from burned garbage... all things considered, this should be worth the taxpayers' expense, wouldn't you say?"

[EFFECT] The homeless of @@NAME@@ are regularly seen building houses out of free fantasy novels and dictionaries.

I hope this one will find more appeal than my last issue. Leave me your thoughts if you find some time!
Last edited by Firnea on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:06 pm

What's the problem here?

I think if you want to do an issue about a surplus of books, it would make more sense to limit it to nations that have banned computers, present it as a consequence of banning computers, and look at the environmental impact of making so much paper, the extra space that's being used to store books or paper documents, etc.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Firnea
Bureaucrat

Postby Firnea » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:33 pm

I mean, no. It's really much rather an issue against waste and educational inequality. I thought that came across really...

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:10 pm

Firnea wrote:I mean, no. It's really much rather an issue against waste and educational inequality. I thought that came across really...

It's very unfocused, though. How does garbagemen opening a library force @@LEADER@@ to address all that stuff?
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Firnea
Bureaucrat

Postby Firnea » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:35 pm

I don't see how it's unfocused. The incident received medial attention and got certain representatives thinking on how to deal with the books landing in the trash.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Firnea wrote:I don't see how it's unfocused. The incident received medial attention and got certain representatives thinking on how to deal with the books landing in the trash.

That explains what @@LEADER@@ heard of it, but it doesn't explain why @@HE@@ needs to do anything about it. How is it a problem that some garbagemen started a library? This seems like an issue that already solved itself before it ever came to @@LEADER@@'s desk.

Firnea
Bureaucrat

Postby Firnea » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:53 pm

...No, that's the thing. It's not a problem in itself. Well, except for their superior, but most people probably wouldn't go with option 2. It just redirects the attention from this incident to the waste problems in the respective nation as well as the fact that it'd be hard for poorer children to acquire books.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:59 pm

This issue is too long. Cut it down a bit
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:33 am

There's too much verbosity here for the information transmitted. I'm aware that I'm ironically saying the same thing as Aussie in more words.

For example:

[DESCRIPTION] Over time, an uncountable amount of books has landed in the garbage cans and the dumpsters of @@NAME@@, a development that hasn't gone unnoticed behind the gates of the many @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ landfills. A group of appalled garbagemen has now taken it into their gloved hands to secure as many books sent to the landfills as possible, and wrapped up their savings to turn an abandoned warehouse in the suburbs of @@CAPITAL@@ into a crummy, but well functioning library, where poor families and especially their children can get books for free. The case has attracted the attention of local media, and is now brought before you.

could be reduced to:

[DESCRIPTION]Garbage workers have noticed increasing numbers of books being thrown away, and have started an initiative to recover them for redistribution to the under-privileged.

Adopt that approach throughout and you'll have a leaner, better issue, and the space saved can be used to add more funny stuff.

However, I also agree with Monitor here that as it stands, there doesn't seem to be any presented dilemma. It's a nice core idea, but it needs something more to make it something that needs responding to. Maybe:

[DESCRIPTION]Garbage workers who noticed increasing numbers of books being thrown away started an initiative to recover them for redistribution to the under-privileged. Unfortunately an eight-year-old boy who received a copy of The Hungry Caterpillar also received a few hundred parasitic ticks, and a nasty Campylobacter infection.

...which is still half the length of the current presentation, but now creates a situation that demands response, and also has some humorous juxtaposition in there. Feel free to take that text if you wish.

This approach should be the principle way in which you approach your second draft. You've got some good ideas and writing in there, you just need to exercise your self-editing scissors, and make something sharper and punchier.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:37 am

Don't we already have an issue about dealing with old copies of books? I seem to recall an effect line about libraries being treated like temples, or something like that...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:55 am

Bears Armed wrote:Don't we already have an issue about dealing with old copies of books? I seem to recall an effect line about libraries being treated like temples, or something like that...

Naa, that's 451 you're thinking of:

"books are so highly regarded in @@NAME@@ that libraries are often revered as holy shrines"

That one is about book burning.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?