NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Cyberweapons Control Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:19 am

OOC: Submitted for approval
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:24 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:OOC: Submitted for approval

(OOC: Good luck, I’m currently undecided IC but the proposal looks non-offensive and sensible enough that I can’t see any major objections occurring.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:32 am

(OOC: Alright, thank you!)
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Imperial Polk County
Envoy

Founded: Aug 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Polk County » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:19 am

"As written, I must oppose this. Your definition of Cyberwarfare is far too broad, particularly the part about causing 'significant negative political... damage'. If the president of XYZ Nation were to come to our nation and stagger around the park naked and drunk -- assuming such acts were frowned upon in XYZ Nation -- and we were to publish those pictures online, that would certainly cause a considerable amount of political damage, and would fit your definition of Cyberwarfare."
-- Herbert Jackson Drane IV, WA Ambassador of the newly independent Imperial Polk County, Population 665,000. That "xxx million" population stat? It's most certainly a typo.

The Confederate Territory
Attaché

Founded: Nov 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Confederate Territory » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:43 am

Does not have my support. Cyberweapons should be completely deregulated anyways.
Freedoms rise, Stratons despise!

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:43 am

(OOC: Cyberweapons are clearly defined above that passage)
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:25 am

OOC: Slipping espionage in as something that's restricted, rather than, you know, just causing damages, will likely work against you quite badly.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:43 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Slipping espionage in as something that's restricted, rather than, you know, just causing damages, will likely work against you quite badly.

OOC: Espionage is defined as confined to the information-sphere and intelligence environment of the target state. The term 'restricted is used in lieu of the term 'confined'.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:50 am

OOC
Personally, I'd consider this closer to 'Mild' rather than to 'Significant', but that's arguable enough that I won't [be the first GenSec member to] declare it illegal on this basis.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:32 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:OOC: Espionage is defined as confined to the information-sphere and intelligence environment of the target state.

OOC: ...I fail to see how using the Internet makes it NOT a huge restriction on espionage.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Araraukar wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:OOC: Espionage is defined as confined to the information-sphere and intelligence environment of the target state.

OOC: ...I fail to see how using the Internet makes it NOT a huge restriction on espionage.

OOC:

"II. Cyberwarfare is a technique carried out exclusively via electronic warfare devices, or cyberweapons as designated in Clause I and Clause II, in contrast to Espionage, which may be carried out via existing electronic surveillance programs or physical placements of spies and diplomatic infiltrations."

Espionage is clearly not restricted to only cyber.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:27 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: ...I fail to see how using the Internet makes it NOT a huge restriction on espionage.

OOC:
"II. Cyberwarfare is a technique carried out exclusively via electronic warfare devices, or cyberweapons as designated in Clause I and Clause II, in contrast to Espionage, which may be carried out via existing electronic surveillance programs or physical placements of spies and diplomatic infiltrations."

OOC: Well of course it's not only restricted to the datasphere, but a lot of it is. Also, your weird philosophy clauses aren't actual definitions as given at the start of the proposal, which by the way still classify actual regular computers and mobile phones and digital cameras and so forth as cyberweapons because of the inclusion of political damage in the cyberwarfare definition. The cyberweapon definition, with "to be designated and treated" does not actually eliminate them from the list, since you can "designate and treat" a newborn baby as a nuclear weapon - that they actually aren't, doesn't matter, when you're required to designate and treat them as one.

And because all of that, your attempt to separate espionage from actual cyberwarfare falls flat, because many of the things used in "normal" espionage are still included in the cyberweapon definition. Especially as you mention "existing electronic surveillance programs".

Do you understand the problem here?

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Postby Greater Cesnica » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:08 am

Araraukar wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:OOC:

OOC: Well of course it's not only restricted to the datasphere, but a lot of it is. Also, your weird philosophy clauses aren't actual definitions as given at the start of the proposal, which by the way still classify actual regular computers and mobile phones and digital cameras and so forth as cyberweapons because of the inclusion of political damage in the cyberwarfare definition. The cyberweapon definition, with "to be designated and treated" does not actually eliminate them from the list, since you can "designate and treat" a newborn baby as a nuclear weapon - that they actually aren't, doesn't matter, when you're required to designate and treat them as one.

And because all of that, your attempt to separate espionage from actual cyberwarfare falls flat, because many of the things used in "normal" espionage are still included in the cyberweapon definition. Especially as you mention "existing electronic surveillance programs".

Do you understand the problem here?

It is a case of iffy wording, I realize.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:01 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:It is a case of iffy wording, I realize.

OOC: You could withdraw it to fix it. If you really care about the topic, like you said you did, you'd do just that. If you're just after a badge, you're going to not withdraw and instead try to see it passed even if it means it has to be repealed to fix the issues, then.

And as long as it's a resolution, it's going to give authoritarian nations the right to walk over people's rights to do anything, in the name of restricting "cyber warfare".

...actually fairly sure that means it has to contradict something, but too tired to research enough for a proper challenge.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Addressing Concerns

Postby Greater Cesnica » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:59 pm

i'm pulling it.

EDIT: I've decided against it. I know, spontaneous. But, here are my reasons.

I want to make this clear right now, since there seems to be a bit of (understandable) confusion at the moment. When I refer to 'political' damage, I am referring to a detrimental, quantifiable effect against the electoral system, legislature or national assembly, or a certain political party. As we are aware, this implies the real life comparison of the back of the DNC by Russian hackers, most likely state-sponsored. The magnitude of the attack and seizure and leak of information yielded by the DNC constitutes a quantifiable effect against a political party, and due to the timing of the hacks, the electoral system and process.

Secondly, if I were to define 'political' damage within the proposal, it would be prudent to define 'economic' damage, and the such. If I were to take that course of action, I would find myself over 5000 characters- a character limit that I feel should be raised to 7500 characters, but it is what it is.

Thirdly, the insinuation that I'm badgehunting is rather hurtful, and quite rude. I have already addressed this via TG in a clear and transparent manner. I understand that you may have your concerns, however I feel that the minor phrasing issue within the proposal is not of a magnitude and degree sufficient to cause me to pull the proposal. Now, if anyone can find a category contradiction, a contradiction of existing legislation, or a grievous clause error that sinks all active clauses, I will pull it right there.
Last edited by Greater Cesnica on Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch

Furry Things
Attaché

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Furry Things » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:41 pm

I feel like this proposal is a mix things that are vague and exploitable and a lot of verbiage that just seems to weigh it down and make it clunky. I'm also a bit disappointed that you didn't pull it to make more changes. I think this proposal definitely needs more drafting time. So, at least for now, I vote against.

Demiurges
Secretary

Founded: Jul 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Demiurges » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:11 pm

Wholeheartedly voting AGAINST
In the name of commerce, wealth, and war, we prosper.

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Cyberweapons or probably more known as hacking and endangerment of security is a consistent problem. This will be highly be ineffective as hacker boyz will continue to try to manipulate their own ends for their own gains against many soveirn nations. I am not sure why they diddn't just recognize it as so and saying electronic devices that cause significant damage to populaitons you might as well ban the iphone.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:14 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:When I refer to 'political' damage, I am referring to a detrimental, quantifiable effect against the electoral system, legislature or national assembly, or a certain political party.

OOC: Which you should have actually written into the proposal. When you leave wording vague, you can't blame people for reading it as such. I told you way before you submitted it, that the inclusion of "political" was going to be a problem. Your for some reason chose to include it anyway. I don't understand your reasoning, even with ^that explanation, and certainly not without any explanation.

Secondly, if I were to define 'political' damage within the proposal, it would be prudent to define 'economic' damage, and the such.

Which is another thing you probably should've left out, but if you had nixed the bits about espionage (the inclusion of which is a third incomprehensible bit) and trying to explain how it's not applicable (despite your definitions making it totally applicable anyway), you'd have had all the space needed.

Thirdly, the insinuation that I'm badgehunting is rather hurtful, and quite rude. I have already addressed this via TG in a clear and transparent manner.

Yet you didn't pull the proposal from the queue for repairs. Your actions speak louder than your words.

or a grievous clause error that sinks all active clauses, I will pull it right there.

You can't pull it anymore now that it's at vote. As for contradiction, I'm fairly sure there was something about freedom of speech/press, but without checking I can't say sure if there was something extant about not being allowed to censor the Internet or access to it entirely...

However, your definitions are the grievous errors that were pointed out to you several times. You chose to ignore the errors and instead create something that'll let nations strip free speech devices (like, you know, computers or smartphones that let people post "politically damaging" stuff online or arrange protests or whatnot - the Arab Spring comes to mind, and you can't claim the effect there wasn't politically damaging) from people in the name of preventing cyberwarfare. That's why I'm not replying in IC, and why I voted against it for OOC reasons, because in IC Araraukar would be all for such a thing being put into effect. It's a totalitarian nation, you know? A fair bet is that anything that makes those in power practically salivate, is bad for people's rights.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:46 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Greater Cesnica wrote:OOC: Submitted for approval

(OOC: Good luck, I’m currently undecided IC but the proposal looks non-offensive and sensible enough that I can’t see any major objections occurring.)

(OOC: Based on the above post, this has now change. The idea of regulating cyber weapons is a very good one with a lot of execution, but the execution of this, particularly the definitions, doesn’t sit well with me. My vote is now against the proposal. I recommend redrafting this significantly and reworking the clauses to be less vague and general.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:16 am

OOC: On the "issues with existing resolutions", these came to mind quickly:
GA #27, Freedom of Assembly:
1.) All individuals shall have the right to peacefully assemble, associate, and protest to promote, pursue, and express any goal, cause, or view.

2.) No Government, Federal Authority, Corporation, or any other political or social group may take any action to infringe upon these rights; unless the individuals organizing are trespassing on private property and/or if circumstances beyond the control of the Government threaten the safety of those organizing.

3.) These things having been ordained, states that Freedom of Assembly cannot be extended towards any call for: violence, rioting, and/or actions that would cause harm to innocent people.

GA #155, Freedom of the Press:
Defining a media technology to be any technology used for mass communication of information, including but not limited to the Internet, television, newspapers, and radio;

*snip*

1. Nations will allow national news media organisations to utilise all available media technologies to report news from and to areas inside their own borders, as well as from any other World Assembly nation.

*snip*

4. Citizens will not be banned from accessing any news sources from news media organisations operating both within and outside the nation's borders.

5. Reports from news media organisations operating within the nation's borders can only be censored if they pose a genuine threat to the security of the nation. Otherwise they are free to report news in accordance with any national freedom of expression laws and broadcasting codes of conduct.

GA #436, Protecting Free Expression:
1. Defines, for the sake of this resolution, the following terms:
  1. "free expression" as the ability to outwardly demonstrate, articulate, or otherwise express a political, cultural, social, moral, religious, ideological or other belief without fear of state punishment or reprisal,
  2. "defamation" as any exercise of expression which seeks to maliciously injure the reputation of another individual, group, or organisation, on the basis of false information, excluding satire and the critique of public servants in matters pertaining to their role,

2.Permits member nations to enact reasonable restrictions on peaceful free expression in those cases where the expression constitutes:
  1. defamation, as defined in section 1b,
  2. blatant and explicit pornographic material,
  3. an incitement to violence or widespread lawlessness,
  4. a threat to civilian or military health or safety,
  5. perjury or any other threat to the functioning of judicial proceedings,
  6. the leaking of classified information, or other information obtained in confidence, except where the information constitutes evidence of serious wrongdoing and disclosure thereof is clearly in the public interest,
  7. an infringement on private or intellectual property rights,
  8. a violation of prior, unrepealed international legislation,

3. Prohibits member states from hindering the right of individuals to free expression, excepting the restrictions established in section 2, and restrictions required to fulfill the mandates of WA legislation, or restrictions permitted in future, unrepealed WA legislation,

I would say bits of GA #407, Convention on Internet Neutrality are also applicable, but 6.c. makes me doubt that enough to not actually include it properly.

You don't need to make any leaps of faith to read "cyber warfare" to include "posting politically damaging factual information about a nation's leader/significant political leader" because of the vagueness of "political damage". I'm sure someone like Trump or Putin would love to have their careless comments be considered a "matter of national security" and thus out of bounds of the resolutions above, but that interpretation would require such big leaps through hoops that it can't be considered to be a serious reason.

EDIT: This post can be used as material for a Legality Challenge by anyone willing to do so.
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:19 am

OOC: Off the top of my head, I see the proposal defines cyberweapons as items that can cause "electronic or physical damage," and that the type of "cyberwarfare" which causes prohibited political damage can only be carried out with "cyberweapons." This has the odd effect of making it illegal for hackers and soldiers to cause political damage (since their devices must be classified as cyberweapons, being capable of causing electronic or physical damage), but ordinary/unskilled people may go right ahead and advocate (and succeed in!) overthrowing the government under this proposal, since their devices are simply not dangerous in that manner.

Restricting speech rights based on profession or skill level is still restricting speech rights. On the other hand, they can always post their views from an internet cafe or a clean device - so there's no actual contradiction with free expression. I don't believe there's enough here for a successful challenge (I've been wrong before).
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

San Macalin
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby San Macalin » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:15 pm

The definitions and use of "cyberweapons" and "cyberwarfare" are laughably broad and subjective. Sorry, but I'm voting against.

P.S.: The last line has a typo--should be "its" not "it's." Not like it matters now though :/
"Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned."
-- Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)
Pro: democracy, secularism, social liberalism, LGBT rights, net neutrality
Anti: theocracy, corporate personhood, white nationalism

Realm of Abbadon
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 03, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Realm of Abbadon » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:24 pm

(OOC) I would vote for, however the fact that you state Cyber-warfare as causing political damage is too vague, and should be removed.
I think focusing solely on the ethics of damaging hospitals and humanitarian efforts would be better, but until then I have to vote no.
Low Employment Rate, High Tax Rate. Hell Yea!

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Dee coughs, "Ugh that formatting and those paragraphs pain me. That and your proposal is poorly written in general. Against."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives