NATION

PASSWORD

[ROUGH IDEA] The Right to Repair

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

[ROUGH IDEA] The Right to Repair

Postby Minoa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:24 am

Category: Regulation
Area of Effect: Consumer Protection

The World Assembly,

OBSERVING that manufacturers of products (such as cars, computers and electronics) may impose legal or technical restrictions to frustrate or prevent consumer or third-party modifications, repairs or upgrades;

APPALLED that such restrictions pose a notable risk to consumer freedoms and the environment, by promoting unreasonable disposal of products that would otherwise work fine if consumer or third-party modifications, repairs or upgrades were allowed;

HEREBY enshrines the “right to repair” in all member countries, wherein manufacturers may not impose legal or technical restrictions on their products to frustrate or prevent consumer or third-party modifications, repairs or upgrades;

ALLOWS member countries to regulate third-party repair businesses, to protect consumers from substandard or dangerous repairs, or to improve the quality and safety of third-party repairs.

Category: Regulation
Area of Effect: Consumer Protection

The World Assembly,

OBSERVING that manufacturers may impose legal or technical restrictions to prevent consumers or third-party repair firms from repairing said manufacturer’s products, such as cars, computers and electronics;

APPALLED that such restrictions pose a notable risk to consumer freedoms and the environment, by promoting the disposal of products that would otherwise work fine if consumer and third-party repairs were allowed;

HEREBY enshrines the “right to repair” in all member countries, wherein manufacturers may not impose legal or technical restrictions that prevent consumers or third-party repair firms from repairing said manufacturer’s products;

ALLOWS member countries to regulate third-party repair firms, to protect consumers from substandard or dangerous repairs, or to improve the quality and safety of third-party repairs.

I thought I would get this out because I came across articles over time about the right to repair and I thought, it might be an idea for a resolution: you know, a small piece of legislation that could go a long way to reduce waste. But the question is: how simple can it get?
Last edited by Minoa on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:08 am, edited 9 times in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:48 am

“It’s a nice idea you have here, but I think it ignores valid reasons manufacturers may have from prohibiting others from repairing their products. Something extremely technical using unique technology may only be safely repaired by the creator, and something that is particularly disparate from its competitors could be copied by someone under the guise of repairing it.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

East Angria
Envoy

Founded: May 15, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby East Angria » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:07 am

"The basic idea is excellent, of course. But I think we have to go further than that. Ownness is more important than freedom, after all. In other words, the right to repair a broken product is not enough. People also need the possibility to do so.

The common people must be allowed to repair things not only by our decree, but also by the product itself. The manufacturer must not prevent, for example, changing a phone's battery with simple tools. Neither should a manufacturer build a car in such a way that a whole wing needs to replaced if the headlamp blows out.

Enhance this proposal with regulation that prevents this form of planned obsolescence, and then we can talk."

Kenmoria wrote:“It’s a nice idea you have here, but I think it ignores valid reasons manufacturers may have from prohibiting others from repairing their products. Something extremely technical using unique technology may only be safely repaired by the creator, and something that is particularly disparate from its competitors could be copied by someone under the guise of repairing it.”

"None of those are valid reasons to build such preventive measures into the product itself. You can always have warning labels that exempt the product from warranty if the owner tinkers with it. People should be free to at least make an attempt to repair at their own risk.

Intellectual property is an impediment to social progress, especially in the hands of a capitalist enterprise. If your trade secrets don't survive as much as the raising of a car's hood, I do not believe they should be legally protected secrets at all."
the People of East Angria, a.k.a. the Anarchist Commune of Sassony a free territory covering most of the Low Countries, northern and western Germany, and continental Denmark, with a distinct social anarchist, pacifist, and solarpunk vibe.
This nation uses all Nation States stats except where it doesn't make sense. See our Factbook for more information.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:44 am

Kenmoria wrote:“It’s a nice idea you have here, but I think it ignores valid reasons manufacturers may have from prohibiting others from repairing their products. Something extremely technical using unique technology may only be safely repaired by the creator, and something that is particularly disparate from its competitors could be copied by someone under the guise of repairing it.”

I don't think I want to “Ryberg” it this time. I am aware of a scenario where someone makes a significant technological or cultural discovery that would not be possible without tinkering the device: you know, like the circuit bending community. So I have to tread on this idea carefully, because obvious copying is one thing, but a derivative is a different thing.
Last edited by Minoa on Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:51 am

OOC: I'm in full support of this if it became live. I mean, many a times you have restrictions IRL when you sent it to Apple, only to be told that it's screwed that you can't repair it and it will void your warranty.

One of my phone's warranty just expired and hey, I sent it to a shop for a repair. Only took ~ USD 60.

That aside, I think this is a brilliant idea on its own, but I was wondering if it could be expanded a little.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:47 am

Valentine Z wrote:OOC: I'm in full support of this if it became live. I mean, many a times you have restrictions IRL when you sent it to Apple, only to be told that it's screwed that you can't repair it and it will void your warranty.

One of my phone's warranty just expired and hey, I sent it to a shop for a repair. Only took ~ USD 60.

That aside, I think this is a brilliant idea on its own, but I was wondering if it could be expanded a little.

I am interested in your ideas about how it could be expanded, although I do not think the resolution should have too many paragraphs to accomplish a simple goal.
Last edited by Minoa on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 am

Minoa wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:OOC: I'm in full support of this if it became live. I mean, many a times you have restrictions IRL when you sent it to Apple, only to be told that it's screwed that you can't repair it and it will void your warranty.

I am interested in your ideas about how it could be expanded, although I do not think the resolution should have too many paragraphs to accomplish a simple goal.

I'm not very sure on how to put it in exactly, but there's one thing that might be a little troublesome, or that I have completely missed it:

Say that you have a iPhone X, for convenience sake. What if you went to the "freedom to repair" country and repair it over there? The technical restriction was already present from Day 1, and you simply went to that nation to fix your phone. If you do that, is Apple in the wrong for the technical limitation, or no wrong because you bought it somewhere else?

Now that I did a triple take, I think it's fine the way it is. :)
Last edited by Valentine Z on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:10 am

OOC: There should be some acknowledgment that the first thing some of these companies say is "We're not restricting your right to repair your own stuff - we're just protecting our intellectual property! If you want to tinker with the like seven or eight parts out of a thousand pieces of this engine that don't require CPU tweaking to test and integrate correctly, go right ahead!" The point being that if all you outlaw is practices designed to stop backyard mechanics, every such practice will have an extremely noble and high-minded principle behind it that justifies, oops, sorry, well, sometimes we all have to live with some inconvenience in the service of universal values such as the Sanctity of Proprietary Information.

Optimistically I want to say there must be some way to handle this without having to repeal GAR #394. I'm not sure exactly what that is yet, five minutes after reading this OP. I'll ponder, though. :)
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:03 am

Valentine Z wrote:Say that you have a iPhone X, for convenience sake. What if you went to the "freedom to repair" country and repair it over there? The technical restriction was already present from Day 1, and you simply went to that nation to fix your phone. If you do that, is Apple in the wrong for the technical limitation, or no wrong because you bought it somewhere else?

I believe the third paragraph should cover all repairs that take place in member countries. Due to the rule where WA resolutions may not apply to non-member countries, there is not much the WA can do control technical and legal restrictions in non-member countries.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:04 am

Minoa wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:Say that you have a iPhone X, for convenience sake. What if you went to the "freedom to repair" country and repair it over there? The technical restriction was already present from Day 1, and you simply went to that nation to fix your phone. If you do that, is Apple in the wrong for the technical limitation, or no wrong because you bought it somewhere else?

I believe the third paragraph should cover all repairs that take place in member countries. Due to the rule where WA resolutions may not apply to non-member countries, there is not much the WA can do control technical and legal restrictions in non-member countries.

Ahh, gotcha, thanks! In that case, please move on, then. :P

All the best!
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Imperial Polk County
Envoy

Founded: Aug 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Polk County » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:30 am

"I'm not sure I can support this if its scope is so broad. What if we are dealing with dangerous goods? Or sophisticated weapons? Perhaps Nation A doesn't want Nation B's engineers tinkering with the thermo-nukular devices that they have stationed there."
-- Herbert Jackson Drane IV, WA Ambassador of the newly independent Imperial Polk County, Population 665,000. That "xxx million" population stat? It's most certainly a typo.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:56 am

Imperial Polk County wrote:"I'm not sure I can support this if its scope is so broad. What if we are dealing with dangerous goods? Or sophisticated weapons? Perhaps Nation A doesn't want Nation B's engineers tinkering with the thermo-nukular devices that they have stationed there."

I am concerned that adding such exception may backfire, when manufacturers try to justify restrictions under the guise of national security. Right now the main change was to include modifications and upgrades (such as a new hard drive).
Last edited by Minoa on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:47 pm

I'm unclear with what you mean by technical restrictions in this context. For example, with something like a MacBook, at what point do design considerations having to do with cooling, miniaturisation, etc. interact with these technical restrictions? For example, Apple glues down their batteries (as do many manufacturers these days), in part because putting in the retaining mechanism à la a white polycarbonate MacBook would make the computer too heavy.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:24 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I'm unclear with what you mean by technical restrictions in this context. For example, with something like a MacBook, at what point do design considerations having to do with cooling, miniaturisation, etc. interact with these technical restrictions? For example, Apple glues down their batteries (as do many manufacturers these days), in part because putting in the retaining mechanism à la a white polycarbonate MacBook would make the computer too heavy.

The technical restrictions in my context is how Apple has been accused of trying to sabotage independent repairs … like this. Another example is how HP and Epson tries to hinder the use of any third-party cartridges.
Last edited by Minoa on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly