NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Gold Standards

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

[SUBMITTED] Gold Standards

Postby Baggieland » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:02 am

Here's my latest offering.

Here's the inspiration:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/45368662

[TITLE] Gold Standards

[DESCRIPTION] @@NAME@@ has just hosted the Olympics, and what a success they were! The only problem is that before they began, your Sports Minister promised 200,000 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ and a new house to every @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ athlete that won a gold medal. It now appears that the state is going to have difficulties honouring its promises.

[VALIDITY] must allow sports

[OPTION] "I made that promise based on the previous Olympics' medal haul," pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Sports Minister. "Four years ago we only won five golds, how was I supposed to know we would win 36 this time around? Okay, there is the well-known benefit of home advantage, but I still wasn't expecting this many winners! @@LEADER@@, just this once, could you dip into the state coffers and cover my hide on this one? Then, I swear I won't go around making rash promises again!"

[EFFECT] housing development projects only house those whose bodies are well-developed

[OPTION] "The government has to honour as many of these prizes as possible, but that will still leave the athletes short," muses @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Treasury Minister, who has just counted up all @@HIS@@ spare coins only to find @@HE@@ is one @@CURRENCY@@ short for a Moonbucks. "It will totally drain the sports and development budget for this fiscal year, leaving no money for other projects. However, if the private sector would like to step up and fund the remainder, we could offer them exclusive advertising and merchandising rights for the next ten Olympics."

[EFFECT] the Olympics team's opening day outfits are so 40 years ago

[VALIDITY] capitalist

[OPTION] "The government has to honour as many of these prizes as possible, but that will still leave the athletes short," muses @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@, your Treasury Minister, as @@HE@@ checks @@HIS@@ little red book to look for clarity on this matter. "It will totally drain the sports and development budget for this current five-year plan, leaving no money for other projects. However, if private citizens would like to step up and fund the remainder, we could offer to have their names put on the athletes' outfits at the next Olympics."

[EFFECT] Olympic commentators aren't sure if the name on the jacket is that of the athlete or the person who supplied the jacket

[VALIDITY] communist

[OPTION] As you leave your office, you are confronted by @@RANDOMNAME@@, a social activist who starts yelling at you as you get in the lift. "The sports minister isn't the only one who has made, and failed to keep a commitment. The people are tired of politicians that promise this and promise that, yet deliver nothing. Any politician that has been found out to be insincere must be fired immediately!"

[EFFECT] government department meetings usually consist of @@LEADER@@ plus the cleaning staff

[TITLE] Gold Standards

[DESCRIPTION] @@NAME@@ has just hosted the Olympics, and what a success they were! The only problem is that before they began, your Sports Minister promised a new house, a new car and a significant amount of money to every @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ athlete that won a gold medal. It now appears that the state is going to have difficulties honouring its promises.

[VALIDITY] must allow sports

[OPTION] "I made that promise based on the previous Olympics' medal haul," pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Sports Minister. "Four years ago we only won a handful of golds, how was I supposed to know we would win ten times as many this time around? Okay, there is the well-known benefit of home advantage, but I still wasn't expecting this many winners! @@LEADER@@, the government mustn't renege on my… er, I mean its promises."

[EFFECT] housing development projects only house those whose bodies are well-developed

[OPTION] "The government has to honour as many of these prizes as possible, but that will still leave the athletes short," muses @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Treasury Minister, who has just counted up all @@HIS@@ spare coins only to find @@HE@@ is one @@CURRENCY@@ short for a Moonbucks. "It will totally drain the sports and development budget for this fiscal year, leaving no money for other projects. However, if the private sector would like to step up and fund the remainder, we could offer them exclusive advertising and merchandising rights for the next ten Olympics."

[VALIDITY] capitalist

[OPTION] "The government has to honour as many of these prizes as possible, but that will still leave the athletes short," muses @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@, your Treasury Minister, as @@HE@@ checks @@HIS@@ little red book to look for clarity on this matter. "It will totally drain the sports and development budget for this current five-year plan, leaving no money for other projects. However, if private citizens would like to step up and fund the remainder, we could offer to have their names put on the athletes' outfits at the next Olympics."

[EFFECT] Olympic commentators aren't sure if the name on the jacket is that of the athlete or the person who supplied the jacket

[VALIDITY] communist

[OPTION] As you leave your office, you are confronted by @@RANDOMNAME@@, a social activist who starts yelling at you as you get in the lift. "The sports minister isn't the only one who has made, and failed to keep a commitment. The people are tired of politicians that promise this and promise that, yet deliver nothing. Any politician that has been found out to be insincere must be fired immediately!"

[EFFECT] government department meetings usually consist of @@LEADER@@ plus the cleaning staff

[TITLE] Gold Standards

[DESCRIPTION] @@NAME@@ has just hosted the Olympics, and what a success they were! The only problem is that before they began, your Sports Minister promised a new house, a new car and a significant amount of money to every @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ athlete that won a gold medal. It now appears that the state is going to have difficulties honouring its promises.

[VALIDITY] must allow sports must allow cars

[OPTION] "I made that promise based on the previous Olympics' medal haul," pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Sports Minister. "Four years ago we only won a handful of golds, how was I supposed to know we would win ten times as many this time around? Okay, there is the well-known benefit of home advantage, but I still wasn't expecting this many winners! @@LEADER@@, the government mustn't renege on my… er, I mean its promises."

[VALIDITY] capitalist

[OPTION] "The government has to honour as many of these prizes as possible, but that will still leave the athletes short," muses @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Treasury Minister, as @@HE@@ checks @@HIS@@ little red book to look for clarity on this matter. "It will totally drain the sports and development budget for this current five-year plan, leaving no money for other projects. However, if private citizens would like to step up and fund the remainder, we could offer to have their names put on the athletes' outfits at the next Olympics."

[VALIDITY] communist

Last edited by Baggieland on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:56 am

Option 1- 36 gold medal winners @ $200,000 per winner. That's $7.2 million dollars

Assuming that everyone pays taxes, 7,200,000 is $1.80 per average tax payer, in a country of 4 million people tax payers, 17 cents per average tax payer in a country of 42 million tax payers and 72% of 1 cent in a country with 100 million tax payers. Overall, that's not a lot of money (this is especially the case if the population increases), and with inflation, the money will be significantly less in the coming years.

Further, 36 gold medalists is a SIGNIFICANTLY different percentage of the population in a nation of 4,000,000 (1 gold per 111,111, and that includes everyone, the elderly, the babies, the unathletic, the disabled) when compared to 36 gold medalists in a nation of 100,000,000 (1 in 2,777,777 including everyone, the elderly, the babies, the unathletic, the disabled) 36 gold medals from 4,000,000 people is remarkable when compared to 36 gold medals from 100,000,000. 4 gold medals from a population of 4,000,000 is 1 in 1,000,000 citizens winning a gold medal. 4 gold medals from a nation of 100,000,000 is 1 in 25,000,000, which is significantly fewer. Bottom line... don't mention specific numbers. Just say that 9x more gold medals were won than previous Olympics
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:25 am

Hi Aussie, good to hear from you. I appreciate the time you took to crunch the numbers. Your bottom line of being less specific is a good point. I'll work it into the 2nd draft. Cheers mate!

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:30 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 1- 36 gold medal winners @ $200,000 per winner. That's $7.2 million dollars

Assuming that everyone pays taxes, 7,200,000 is $1.80 per average tax payer, in a country of 4 million people tax payers, 17 cents per average tax payer in a country of 42 million tax payers and 72% of 1 cent in a country with 100 million tax payers. Overall, that's not a lot of money (this is especially the case if the population increases), and with inflation, the money will be significantly less in the coming years.

Further, 36 gold medalists is a SIGNIFICANTLY different percentage of the population in a nation of 4,000,000 (1 gold per 111,111, and that includes everyone, the elderly, the babies, the unathletic, the disabled) when compared to 36 gold medalists in a nation of 100,000,000 (1 in 2,777,777 including everyone, the elderly, the babies, the unathletic, the disabled) 36 gold medals from 4,000,000 people is remarkable when compared to 36 gold medals from 100,000,000. 4 gold medals from a population of 4,000,000 is 1 in 1,000,000 citizens winning a gold medal. 4 gold medals from a nation of 100,000,000 is 1 in 25,000,000, which is significantly fewer. Bottom line... don't mention specific numbers. Just say that 9x more gold medals were won than previous Olympics

^This, so much this. The numbers were just too small to be really taken seriously as a hurdle to government.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:09 am

200,000 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ and a new house to every [...] athlete
Glimpsing this, I genuinely thought you said "200,000 houses". :rofl:
ed: Also, nice issue! Kinda sad it doesn't actually have to do with the gold standard, which I intend to explore more, but still, it's really good. :lol:
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:10 am

Jutsa wrote:
200,000 @@CURRENCYPLURAL@@ and a new house to every [...] athlete
Glimpsing this, I genuinely thought you said "200,000 houses". :rofl:

Now that would be a pretty big commitment for a government to pay :rofl: :rofl:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:05 am

Maybe the hard part is finding available houses or land to fit new ones, rather than coming up with the money?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:01 am

Baggieland wrote:[OPTION] "I made that promise based on the previous Olympics' medal haul," pleads @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Sports Minister. "Four years ago we only won five golds, how was I supposed to know we would win 36 this time around? Okay, there is the well-known benefit of home advantage, but I still wasn't expecting this many winners! @@LEADER@@, just this once, could you dip into the state coffers and cover my hide on this one? Then, I swear I won't go around making rash promises again!"
I read this as implying that the Sports Minister intended to pay the promised sum from his own pocket, rather than from government funds. That could quite easily end up coming up short no matter how large the country is.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:31 am

2nd draft is up.

Hi Chan & Jutsa, thanks for your comments. Changed the text as Aussie pointed out, hope it comes out better now.

USS Monitor wrote:Maybe the hard part is finding available houses or land to fit new ones, rather than coming up with the money?

Hmm, possibly. Let's see the reaction to the new draft first.

Trotterdam wrote:I read this as implying that the Sports Minister intended to pay the promised sum from his own pocket, rather than from government funds. That could quite easily end up coming up short no matter how large the country is.

Okay, I see your point, it could certainly be read that way. Changed it around.

Also, I was thinking if this could be a consequence issue to No.246, options 1 and 3. What do you think?

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:43 am

Baggieland wrote:Also, I was thinking if this could be a consequence issue to No.246, options 1 and 3. What do you think?
I was going to mention that you add a validity check. I think this would be an appropriate follow up issue. :p
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:17 pm

2nd page bump. Any more comments?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:34 pm

The Issue:
@@NAME@@ has just hosted the Olympics
Like to make note of #246, just to keep in mind.
a new car
Not all nations have cars... ;)

Option 2A/B:
muses @@RANDOMNAME@@
muses @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@
A small inconsistency... :P

Really like this issue, though; gotta say. :)
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:33 am

Jutsa wrote:Not all nations have cars...

Thanks, forgot that one!

Jutsa wrote:Option 2A/B:
muses @@RANDOMNAME@@
muses @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@
A small inconsistency...

2B, the communist one, I had named him 'Comrade RANDOMFIRSTNAME', then I dropped the comrade, cos I felt the communist references were a bit much!

3rd draft is up.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:46 am

Thanks for all your comments everyone.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:52 am

Good luck, Baggie! :D

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:57 am

Jutsa wrote:Good luck, Baggie! :D

:hug:

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:05 am

Good luck.
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:10 pm

Good Luck!
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:11 am

Just for the record, all issues authored by editors and other game staff get added to a staff pool of written issues separate to the player-written ones, so no wishing of luck is necessary. That's not to say they'll get published of course, though an editor always has the option of self-publishing an issue that they want in game (though of course we have additional checks and measures for that scenario to maintain quality).

I'm sure the sentiment is appreciated, of course, but there's really no need to wish editors good luck in their submissions.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:12 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Just for the record, all issues authored by editors and other game staff get added to a staff pool of written issues separate to the player-written ones, so no wishing of luck is necessary. That's not to say they'll get published of course, though an editor always has the option of self-publishing an issue that they want in game (though of course we have additional checks and measures for that scenario to maintain quality).

I'm sure the sentiment is appreciated, of course, but there's really no need to wish editors good luck in their submissions.

Irrespective of whether or not they need it. I'm just trying to be nice

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:23 am

^ Something like that. :lol:

Still, thanks for the fact. Good to know. :)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:38 am

I don't think the acceptance of non-editors' issue submissions is based primarily on luck, either...

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 am

Trotterdam wrote:I don't think the acceptance of non-editors' issue submissions is based primarily on luck, either...

Guess you could say it's if you're lucky enough to be a good writer. :)

Though also, we have this selection system that involves three spins widdershins, a pinata, soapy frogs, and a hundred butterflies. Which explains why someone keeps picking Aussies issues, eh? :p
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:47 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Though also, we have this selection system that involves three spins widdershins, a pinata, soapy frogs, and a hundred butterflies. Which explains why someone keeps picking Aussies issues, eh? :p
:rofl:
Commended by SC #382

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?