NATION

PASSWORD

[DISCARDED] - At the Eleventh Hour

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

[DISCARDED] - At the Eleventh Hour

Postby Sacara » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:41 pm

Inspired by the whole Kavanaugh debacle.
[Name] At The Eleventh Hour
[Desc] Minutes before your nominee for a high ranking ministerial role was scheduled to be voted on by parliament, allegations from his high school years detailing how he exposing his uncovered genitals to girls surfaced to public knowledge. The suddenness of the accusation has now thrown the entire nomination into turmoil.
[Validity] high political freedoms

[option] "We can’t be seen as the party that doesn’t take these allegations seriously," contends one of your party's top level strategists. "We need to be careful about our image here, too. The burden of proof is ultimately on the accused in this case. It doesn’t do anyone any good to put through a nominee this divisive. It seems as though we already lost the public opinion battle; you must rescind the nomination and put forward someone else."
[effect] background checks on nominees extend all the way back to their elementary years

[option]
"Where’s the proof?" cries your nominee, frantically pacing around your office while sweating profusely. "This is just a political ploy, a sham made up by the opposition to ruin my impeccable name! No evidence has been provided whatsoever to corroborate such claims, either. The accusation itself is from some thirty years ago; even if it would happen to be true, it shouldn't even be relevant! Without any evidence, you must tell your party to confirm me at once!"
[effect] accusers who wait more than a week are told to go away

[option] "This wouldn’t even be a problem if we got rid of the whole nomination process," murmurs one your most loyal aides, known for having almost too much affection for you. "I mean, that just slows everything down, right? Just appoint whoever you want, whenever you want and inform the parliament. It’s efficiency at its finest."
[effect] the parliament continues to give its rubber stamp of approval to everyone and anyone

[Name] At The Eleventh Hour
[Desc] Before you went to sleep last night, you were informed your nominee for a high-ranking ministerial role was expected to pass easily tomorrow. However, you woke up to change in tune when you were bombarded with seemingly one thousand aides asking if you were going to rescind the nomination. Overnight allegations of sexual misconduct many years ago against your nominee surfaced and have caused a significant uproar in parliament.
[Validity] democratic

[option] "These allegations are utterly false!" contends your nominee, who is sweating profusely. "This is just a political ploy, a sham made up by the opposition to ruin my impeccable name. All was going well until they decided to pull this, this smear tactic! Besides, if it did happen, it was thirty some years ago. In the name of decency, you must tell your party to confirm me at once!"
[effect] accusers who wait more than a week are told to go away

[option] "But what if it did happen?" questions @@RANDOMNAME@@, a member of your party who’s indecisiveness is well-known throughout @@CAPITAL@@. "I mean, there’s no evidence that they didn’t do it, right? I hate to be that person, ya know, but maybe this just isn’t meant to be. Until I see some hard proof that they aren’t lying, I’m afraid I cannot vote in favor."
[effect] men live in fear their careers could be ruined at any moment

[option] "This wouldn’t even be a problem if we got rid of the whole nomination process," murmurs one your most loyal aides, known for having radical views. "Why should they be able to dictate who you choose? I mean, that just slows everything down. Just appoint whoever you want to appoint and tell the parliament, don’t ask for your approval. It’s efficiency at it’s finest."
[effect] some call @@LEADER@@ the 'biggest bully in @@NAME@@'

Changelog:
  • [Draft 1] Initial version of draft
  • [Draft 2] Reworked description and switched option one and two around while also reworking them.
  • Small edits to option one and three & changed effect lines
Last edited by Sacara on Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 11 times in total.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Option 3- so how does that solve the sexual assult allegations?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:08 am

The premise should be more specific than "sexual misconduct". Say what he was accused of doing, and make it as shocking as the real case. The framing could also be more concise - more information, less waffle please.

I feel the core arguments for and against need to be more convincing.

In favour of proceeding - the principle of innocent until proven guilty, and a refusal to let the media have control over nominations.

In favour of holding back - endorsing a candidate of this nature suggests the administration dismissive of allegations of sexual misconduct, and that they are pragmatically putting expediency ahead of criminal justice.

That is to say, both options should make you read and think "yeah, they got a point there". Right now, you've instead got two speakers who are persuading you against their own position with their weak arguments.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:39 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The premise should be more specific than "sexual misconduct". Say what he was accused of doing, and make it as shocking as the real case. The framing could also be more concise - more information, less waffle please.
Yeah, I felt like the desc was longer than usual. I'll tidy that up when I get around to it.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:In favour of proceeding - the principle of innocent until proven guilty, and a refusal to let the media have control over nominations.
I'll re-frame this option.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:In favour of holding back - endorsing a candidate of this nature suggests the administration dismissive of allegations of sexual misconduct, and that they are pragmatically putting expediency ahead of criminal justice.
I see that I can make this stronger, however, the core of this argument is that of real life: if someone has allegations levied against them, no matter their credibility, they are disqualified. This, simplified, is at the core of the #MeToo movement. Believing women, no matter how credible they are. That in and of itself was one of the reasons that people opposed Kavanaugh. However, I will revise this in a bit.
Last edited by Sacara on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:52 am

Sacara wrote:I see that I can make this stronger, however, the core of this argument is that of real life: if someone has allegations levied against them, no matter their credibility, they are disqualified. This, simplified, is at the core of the #MeToo movement. Believing women, no matter how credible they are. That in and of itself was the sole reason that people opposed Kavanaugh. However, I will revise this in a bit.

That in itself is an interpretation that suggests you think he shouldn't be disqualified. There's a lot of ways of framing it, and one of the hardest things to do is to write from the viewpoint you disagree with.

To reframe the situation in a pro-disqualification way:

Allegations made aren't proof of misconduct, but the burden of proof required for criminal conviction is not the same burden of proof required to not endorse that individual, especially if other circumstantial evidence suggests a likelihood of truth. Kavanaugh bears the burden of proof in this situation, as he must be able to defend against the charge in a way that is persuasive and honourable. If the allegation is in any way credible - which it appears to be - then the question of nomination should be put on hold until the truth can be found. Anything else is tantamount to dismissing the claims of a potential victim. Christine Blaisey Ford has now been the target of death threats for even making an allegation, and dismissal her allegations from within the halls of power sends victims everywhere a simple message: unless you can provide concrete proof, shut the hell up, because you will be punished for speaking out. The MeToo movement is about the opposite - it's not saying that women will automatically be assumed to be telling the truth, it's reassuring them that they will be listened to, and will not be vilified for speaking out.

Why did I put all that in italics? Because it's not my opinion. It's me writing how I would support that position if it were my opinion.

Point being, if you want to create a convincing story, you need to be able to be persuasive from every point of view.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:59 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Point being, if you want to create a convincing story, you need to be able to be persuasive from every point of view.
Right, and I'm not contending anything other than that. I'll make the second option stronger when I get around to it. However, although I do have personally beliefs around this whole issue, I have felt like I have maintained neutrality in the current draft, and I will continue to do so. What I said earlier wasn't in the draft, just me explaining it. I do not plan, nor have I ever, to infuse my own beliefs into any draft. Good discussion, though.

Also, I plan on sticking a high political freedoms validity on this as well, to ensure nations have to get parliamentary approval for ministers.
Commended by SC #382

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:32 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:The MeToo movement is about the opposite - it's not saying that women will automatically be assumed to be telling the truth, it's reassuring them that they will be listened to, and will not be vilified for speaking out.
The problem is that someone seems to get vilified either way. Either the man's life is ruined over people believing the accusations, or the woman's life is ruined over people hating her for making those accusations. Or both, because there's probably some people crazy enough to send death threats on both sides of the debate.

Actually remaining calm and treating both parties with respect until you have more than just hearsay one who's telling the truth seems to be beyond most people. To be fair, the real problem is that, since the trauma of rape is primarily psychological rather than physical, it's rather hard to prove. There's often little externally-verifiable evidence of whether or not sex even happened, let alone whether or not it was consensual. Murder is much easier to apply at least a basic sanity check to. The guy I said you killed is still alive? Clearly I'm lying.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks to CWA for the amazing feedback. Version two is now up -- reworked the description, switched options one and two around, and reworked options one and two. I feel more confident about this draft, now.
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:57 pm

Sorry for the double post, but just wanted to state that I edited the desc slightly.
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:14 am

Much better. First and third effect lines aren't great in my personal opinion, and it being a three issue option you could probably allow yourself another sentence in each option to give more depth to the positions, but that should be considered optional.

Regardless, it's looking much better now.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:06 am

Sacara wrote:Besides, if it did happen, it was thirty some years ago.

In option 2, the guy is proclaiming his innocence. Then you go and put the above line in there, which makes it sound like "well, maybe it did happen".

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:35 am

Yeah, it's a nice point, but I admit it doesn't flow smoothely with the rest of the option.
something I'll be heavily implementing in a couple drafts I'm working on
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:51 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Much better. First and third effect lines aren't great in my personal opinion, and it being a three issue option you could probably allow yourself another sentence in each option to give more depth to the positions, but that should be considered optional.

Regardless, it's looking much better now.
I changed the effect lines for options 1 & 3. I also added a little bit, but not much. I like having my options at three lines, max. I've always been a fan of brief(er) issues. Thanks.
Baggieland wrote:In option 2, the guy is proclaiming his innocence. Then you go and put the above line in there, which makes it sound like "well, maybe it did happen".
Fair point. Changed.

I like the way this developed. Thanks for the help!
Commended by SC #382

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:24 am

Baggieland wrote:
Sacara wrote:Besides, if it did happen, it was thirty some years ago.

In option 2, the guy is proclaiming his innocence. Then you go and put the above line in there, which makes it sound like "well, maybe it did happen".

Opinions vary, of course, but for me that line was great humour.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:43 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Opinions vary, of course, but for me that line was great humour.
:blink:

I'm going to change it back, and if it gets picked up by an editor who doesn't like it, I wouldn't be offended if they changed it.

Probably leave this up for a few more days before I submit.
Commended by SC #382

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:13 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Opinions vary, of course, but for me that line was great humour.

The speaker contradicting himself vs humour?

I think it's ok to keep that line in, for humour, but try to make it sound more like it is intended NS style humour and less like a contradiction.

Something like:

"Well, you know, and even if it did happen, it was some thirty years ago!".

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:23 pm

Baggieland wrote:The speaker contradicting himself vs humour?

I think it's ok to keep that line in, for humour, but try to make it sound more like it is intended NS style humour and less like a contradiction.

Something like:

"Well, you know, and even if it did happen, it was some thirty years ago!".

This is how I currently have it worded:
The accusation itself is from some thirty years ago; even if it would happen to be true, it shouldn't even be relevant!
What do you think?
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Probably leave this up for a few more days then submit it. :)
Commended by SC #382

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:11 am

Sacara wrote:Probably leave this up for a few more days then submit it. :)

You are welcome to submit this now.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:43 am

Submitted.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this draft (CWA, Baggieland). I really like this draft, and it's certainly pertinent to modern politics; hopefully we can see it in the game sometime.
Commended by SC #382

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Good luck
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:47 pm

You don’t need my best wishes, but you’re going to get them whether you like it or not.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:35 am

Candensia wrote:You don’t need my best wishes, but you’re going to get them whether you like it or not.
Australian rePublic wrote:Good luck
:)
Commended by SC #382

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?