NATION

PASSWORD

Thoughts on the Art of Stealth Raiding

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Nau States
Attaché

Founded: Feb 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Thoughts on the Art of Stealth Raiding

Postby Nau States » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:59 pm

If you ask anyone involved in the R/D scene for the past couple of years about technique, you'll get an earful on tag raids, the reflexes required to initiate and prevent them, or the difficulty of getting five or six recruits to work together come update time. If you're lucky, you'll hear about occupation raiding, the practice of grabbing and holding onto a region until the 'fendas give up. Yup, liberations and occupations committed by brave and cunning people make up the bread and butter of military operations, and that's not something to be taken lightly. Many a soldier has made their mark by being a trigger for an occupation or a liberation, or at least been promoted. Indeed, there's nothing wrong with the modern tagging or occupation (despite what some might say). But, my dear readers, it seems as if these two things rely on reflexes, numbers, and knowledge of a trigger only. What about regions that can't be raided due to sheer influence and power? An example: the Pacifics. You can't just up and eject Yuno or Tsunamy or whomever, right? Enter stage right, the stealth raid (informally, the coup.)

A stealth raid is a far more complex and timely operation than the humble tag-a-bout. The basic mechanic at work involves one or a few sleeper nations (posing as new recruits to a region) steadily gaining influence and power until the perfect moment, at which point they dispose of every native disloyal to them and restructure in a way that suits them more. It is not quick business going about a stealth raid; rather, it's a test of patience and charisma that can last from hours to years depending on regional size. When they fail, it can be disastrous and lead to years of 'fenda memeing. But when they succeed, it can turn into a display of power unseen for years, striking awe into the hearts of the most jaded nations. 

But why don't the Raiders do this sort of thing (much) anymore? I hear you ask. Ask that to any current or past raider and they'll tell you, vaguely and from the shadows, that they have sleepers everywhere. With the snap of Jakker's finger, you could find every Sinker couped in an instant. Eyes and ears everywhere, man. Same response if you ask a paranoid kook like me who likes to play up drama in their own head. However, the generally agreed upon current consensus is that stealth raids and coups are a dying form of raids. How have we lost this noble art? Well, you can chalk it up to inter-regional co-operation and  enhanced espionage. You see, inter-regional pacts, alliances, agreements, charters, and treaties made it difficult to coup a major region without turning the entire world on yourself. You can stealth raid a small region, but that only inspires fear at that power level and below. Besides, it's almost like hunting rabbits with an elephant gun, don't you think? Plus, the rise of interregional espionage has led to better identification and nullification of sleepers. With the advent of anti-coup measures like the endocap and regional endotarting procedures, it grows ever harder and harder to successfully coup. Still, Raiders maintain hope for and strive to produce a victorious coup. I personally salute their industry, if not their reasons or creeds.

Then again, Stealth may not be as dead as I make it out to be. After all, many regions have covert branches of their military whose actions aren't officially logged until ex post facto. There's a very good chance that every major region has a significant sleeper population from various forces. For all we know, it might just be a matter of time before the coordinated coup-ing of every GCR, causing a major societal change across the NS-verse and ushering in an era of autocratic dictatorships (now I think of it, that would be one hell of a cool story, an alternate NationStates like that.) More realistically, the practice is alive and well in the service of dissolving remnants of fascism that haven't already been expunged. Thus, an art becomes a vital utility in the arsenals of raiders everywhere while still retaining its complexity and nobility. I'd go so far as to wager that, as long as there are barriers that tagging can't cross and there are still raiders, the act of stealth raiding will live on as a crucial part of gameplay.

To conclude, the art of stealth raiding is much like the creation of fine wine. Months, years of painstaking effort leading to a beautiful finished product if cared for correctly. If not, well, you get vinegar. Some say that the work is worth it, others turn their nose up at the result. But whatever the conclusion, the process is a learning experience and a catharsis. I bid you, good day.

Critiscm, corrections, suggestions, and/or comments are welcomed with open arms.

Last edited by Nau States on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have known adventures, seen places you people will never see, I've been Offworld and back...frontiers! I've stood on the back deck of a blinker bound for the Plutition Camps with sweat in my eyes watching the stars fight on the shoulder of Orion. I've felt wind in my hair, riding test boats off the black galaxies and seen an attack fleet burn like a match and disappear. I've seen it...felt it!

Kawaii Schoolgirl
Attaché

Founded: Oct 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kawaii Schoolgirl » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 pm

A most interesting read.
❚⠀⠀❚ ❚⠀⠀❚

181st Plushy Squadron Commander

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Stealth raiding being a lost art is exaggerated. In the past year, there were two attempted stealth raids on kekistani republic, the first one attempted in which I was involved in during a co-joint op with the roman empire and the black hawks was unsucessful, the second one sucessful by the MT army. Both required the ability to acquire password from natives and sleeper puppets so it will confuse the founder. Also there were other raids like in Westphalia that had a sleeper puppet and Japan where even there was a endo cap of 2, Valkrie Vytherov's sleeper Franken Stein had 2 endorsements ready before the raiders endorsed her to beat defenders just by 1 endorsement.

Nau States
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Nau States » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Cosmopolitan borovan wrote:Stealth raiding being a lost art is exaggerated. In the past year, there were two attempted stealth raids on kekistani republic, the first one attempted in which I was involved in during a co-joint op with the roman empire and the black hawks was unsucessful, the second one sucessful by the MT army. Both required the ability to acquire password from natives and sleeper puppets so it will confuse the founder. Also there were other raids like in Westphalia that had a sleeper puppet and Japan where even there was a endo cap of 2, Valkrie Vytherov's sleeper Franken Stein had 2 endorsements ready before the raiders endorsed her to beat defenders just by 1 endorsement.

Well, not quite lost yet due to efforts like those.
I have known adventures, seen places you people will never see, I've been Offworld and back...frontiers! I've stood on the back deck of a blinker bound for the Plutition Camps with sweat in my eyes watching the stars fight on the shoulder of Orion. I've felt wind in my hair, riding test boats off the black galaxies and seen an attack fleet burn like a match and disappear. I've seen it...felt it!

Sefy the Great
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sefy the Great » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Stealth Raiders have my respect, no matter what. if you can get someone to trust you, only to betray them... that kind of espionage makes my day. either way, The Great Game will be played all over NS, the only question is whether or not you know the Players and the Pawns.
A 12.7 civilization, according to this index.

Motto is "All shall be well, and all matter of things shall be well." but it didn't fit.
reworking history, please wait...

Consular
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Sefy the Great wrote:if you can get someone to trust you, only to betray them... that kind of espionage makes my day.

Nice... :unsure:

Sefy the Great
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sefy the Great » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:32 pm

Consular wrote:
Sefy the Great wrote:if you can get someone to trust you, only to betray them... that kind of espionage makes my day.

Nice... :unsure:

Makes the best skits, the best novels, the best tales of espionage. betrayal is a subject that one looks on with fascination, even if they only know the stories.
A 12.7 civilization, according to this index.

Motto is "All shall be well, and all matter of things shall be well." but it didn't fit.
reworking history, please wait...

Consular
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Betraying the trust of others is not admirable and nor should it be encouraged.

Eriadni
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Eriadni » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Consular wrote:Betraying the trust of others is not admirable and nor should it be encouraged.

I mean like in an R/D context its probs fine. Just get good at detecting it I guess

Raionitu
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 06, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Raionitu » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Nau States wrote:But why don't the Raiders do this sort of thing (much) anymore? I hear you ask. Ask that to any current or past raider and they'll tell you, vaguely and from the shadows, that they have sleepers everywhere. With the snap of Jakker's finger, you could find every Sinker couped in an instant. Eyes and ears everywhere, man. Same response if you ask a paranoid kook like me who likes to play up drama in their own head. However, the generally agreed upon current consensus is that stealth raids and coups are a dying form of raids. How have we lost this noble art?

This is the second time today I've heard this, where is this supposed consensus coming from? (also this post largely feels like a bit of a reply to my post elsewhere on this forum)
Being vague about our sleepers/spies/etc? Wow, I can't think of any reason we might be vague about that, y'know, just, no reasons coming to mind why we wouldn't be pointing to examples of current sleepers, must just be that we don't have them.
As I said elsewhere, we have had several very successful sleepers over the past few months, and I can point to specific ones that are already complete. This whole "stealth is dead" thing seems to come from some idea that there used to be more sleepers than there are now, which, well, no, not really. I mean, maybe within a limited period of a month or two yeah, but stealth is still alive and well, an increase in tagging did not lead to a decrease in stealth.
Koth wrote:you guys are cool, like lately ive been watching the overal state of the raider world and been like,"ew", but you guys are very not ew
Reppy wrote:Swearing is just fucking fine on this goddamn fucking forum.
Aguaria Major wrote:The Black Hawks is essentially a regional equivalent of Heath Ledger's Joker: they just want to watch the world burn
Frisbeeteria wrote:Please stop.Please.
Souls wrote:Hi, I'm Souls. Have you embraced our lord and savior , Piling yet?
Souls wrote:Note to self: Watch out for Rai in my bedroom
Altinsane wrote:Me, about every suspiciously helpful newb I meet: "It's probably Rai."
Lord Dominator wrote:Koth is a drunken alternate personality of yours

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Raionitu wrote:
Nau States wrote:But why don't the Raiders do this sort of thing (much) anymore? I hear you ask. Ask that to any current or past raider and they'll tell you, vaguely and from the shadows, that they have sleepers everywhere. With the snap of Jakker's finger, you could find every Sinker couped in an instant. Eyes and ears everywhere, man. Same response if you ask a paranoid kook like me who likes to play up drama in their own head. However, the generally agreed upon current consensus is that stealth raids and coups are a dying form of raids. How have we lost this noble art?

As I said elsewhere, we have had several very successful sleepers over the past few months, and I can point to specific ones that are already complete. This whole "stealth is dead" thing seems to come from some idea that there used to be more sleepers than there are now, which, well, no, not really. I mean, maybe within a limited period of a month or two yeah, but stealth is still alive and well, an increase in tagging did not lead to a decrease in stealth.

Stealth is one of the most challenging and fulfilling forms of raiding. While it is not easy to do for months on end, it is definitely worth it when successful. It's always great to see the practice still happening and nearly all of the raids that have stood the test of time have involved sleeping of some kind.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Wabbitslayah
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 19, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Wabbitslayah » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Aside from the advent of tagging as popular, stealth raiding was hit by a myriad of gameplay changes. It's redundant to stealth raid (you're better off being blatant or just tag). Infiltrations are still viable though.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms

Grater Tovakia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 27, 2018
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Grater Tovakia » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:45 am

I recently bore witness to a stealth raid, not a lost art. In fact there is a small org whose primary form of op is stealth raid
Never pet a burning dog

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:08 am

Is it truly dead, or do they simply know wiser than to launch half-baked raids.
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

Aav Verinhall
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aav Verinhall » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:15 am

Virtually every raider in existence would not tell you their puppets. I don't know in what universe that equates to "Stealth is ded omg."
Minister of Foreign Affairs for Hartfelden
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Economic Left/Right: -2.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.74

Nau States
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Nau States » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:53 am

The post has been edited to better relay both the current status of stealth raiding and my own feelings on the topic. I apologise for my lack of clarity in my original work.

Also, my claims of vagueness were in jest, not to disparage the fundamentals of the topic. I mean, this is a post that uses reference to elephant guns and comes from someone with a long history of semi-lucid, rambling speech. If I use that sort if symbolism to imply anything, it's usually an accident.
Last edited by Nau States on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wabbitslayah
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 19, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Wabbitslayah » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:58 pm

I don't think any of you know the difference between a stealth raid and an infiltration raid.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms

Nau States
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Nau States » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Wabbitslayah wrote:I don't think any of you know the difference between a stealth raid and an infiltration raid.

Nope. But you do understand the intent of my wording, however much I may have mucked it up.

Malphe
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Malphe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Aav Verinhall wrote:Virtually every raider in existence would not tell you their puppets. I don't know in what universe that equates to "Stealth is ded omg."

I don't even tell my own org my sleepers lol. They don't exist until they become useful.
Malphe Vytherov

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Malphe wrote:
Aav Verinhall wrote:Virtually every raider in existence would not tell you their puppets. I don't know in what universe that equates to "Stealth is ded omg."

I don't even tell my own org my sleepers lol. They don't exist until they become useful.

(Wakes up tomorrow finding Malphe has simultaneously couped all the feeders, sinkers and warzones in one swift sweep)
The Midnight Order guy

Malphe
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 02, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Malphe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
Malphe wrote:I don't even tell my own org my sleepers lol. They don't exist until they become useful.

(Wakes up tomorrow finding Malphe has simultaneously couped all the feeders, sinkers and warzones in one swift sweep)

I only coup fascists! And contrary to some people's opinions that doesn't include any GCRs.
Except maybe some of the Warzones with their questionable embassy choices.
Last edited by Malphe on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malphe Vytherov

Nau States
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Nau States » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Malphe wrote:
Indo-Malaysia";p="<a href="tel:34776754">34776754</a> wrote:(Wakes up tomorrow finding Malphe has simultaneously couped all the feeders, sinkers and warzones in one swift sweep)

I only coup fascists! And contrary to some people's opinions that doesn't include any GCRs.

I tried to warn him, right? Seriously hoping for a coup at this point, to purge the dictatorship-like turn we've been taking. (That's an invitation.)
Last edited by Nau States on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Malphe wrote:
Indo-Malaysia wrote:(Wakes up tomorrow finding Malphe has simultaneously couped all the feeders, sinkers and warzones in one swift sweep)

(Hah! They'll not suspect a thing when the megacoup (ragnacoup? couparok?) happens! Time for pizza night with my illuminati buddies)
The Midnight Order guy

Nau States
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Nau States » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:22 pm

A theoretical mega-coup with an apocalyptic name? Sounds like I have another rambling, absentminded piece to write about and speculate upon.

Consular
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Consular » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:45 pm

Wabbitslayah wrote:I don't think any of you know the difference between a stealth raid and an infiltration raid.

^^

People seem to be confusing the two concepts

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay