NATION

PASSWORD

NSUN/WA category name changes

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

NSUN/WA category name changes

Postby Minoa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 am

Hi there,

I am currently creating a database of passed NSUN resolutions on NSindex and I have noticed two things:
  1. The Human Rights category had been changed to Civil Rights (example);
  2. One of the Area of Effect options in the Environmental category had changed from All Businesses to All Businesses - Strong (example).
If I recall correctly, the old names for both had continued into the WA era until recently, so I wish to ask if there is a way for the game to revive the old category/area of effect names for resolutions that were enacted in the UN era (only), as a matter of historical fact?

Secondly, I wish to know the date when the renaming of the Human Rights category took effect. According to the Web Archive, the old name continued until early-2017 at the very least.

Best,

-- Minoa
Last edited by Minoa on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:14 am

See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=449734&hilit=%22areas+of+effect%22.
The change to 'Environmental' was a few weeks (months? less than a year, anyway) before that... and it wasn't just from 'All Businesses' to 'All Businesses -Strong' it was to a choice between 'All Businesses -Strong' and the long-awaited 'All Businesses - Mild'.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 am

Bears Armed wrote:See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=449734&hilit=%22areas+of+effect%22.
The change to 'Environmental' was a few weeks (months? less than a year, anyway) before that... and it wasn't just from 'All Businesses' to 'All Businesses -Strong' it was to a choice between 'All Businesses -Strong' and the long-awaited 'All Businesses - Mild'.

I have most of the revision history in the WA era covered now; thanks.

However, I would personally appreciate if the NS-UN resolutions continued to be referred by their old category/effect names as a matter of historical record. I believe that it was not the intention of the WA Secretariat to change the category names for historical resolutions, especially since they are supposed to be frozen in time, so to speak.

-- Minoa

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:51 am

Minoa wrote:I believe that it was not the intention of the WA Secretariat to change the category names for historical resolutions,

It's a coding inevitability. Example: if the database category for proposals originally named "Human Rights" gets renamed "Civil Rights", all extant resolutions of that type get a name change. The passed resolution tables are still encoded as database entries, not plain text. It literally can't be helped.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:51 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Minoa wrote:I believe that it was not the intention of the WA Secretariat to change the category names for historical resolutions,

It's a coding inevitability. Example: if the database category for proposals originally named "Human Rights" gets renamed "Civil Rights", all extant resolutions of that type get a name change. The passed resolution tables are still encoded as database entries, not plain text. It literally can't be helped.

Hi,

For the record, I wish to reassure you that I did not expect the category/effect names to be encoded in plain text (since I have dealt with databases while operating NSindex): I was thinking more like creating ‘legacy’ category/effect IDs for NSUN resolutions to reference. Unlike the WA resolutions, where I can understand the concern about category groups, I do not think there is a major issue in doing that for NSUN resolutions, so I think it is worth a shot.

Best,

-- Minoa
Last edited by Minoa on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to Technical