NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Preventing the Execution of Innocents

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sonderweg
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sonderweg » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Nagatoshi wrote:As this proposal is clearly headed to pass, I have this to declare: The authoritarian nature of this proposal goes outside the jurisdiction of the World Assembly. The nature of this document to become so entrenched in the national politics of every nation here will ultimately make the World Assembly into the World Government. As such, Nagatoshi has found itself unable to support the World Assembly any longer and therefore withdraws from the organization.

Though we do not encourage other nations to do the same, the nature of the last two proposals show a decline in the democratic and free nature that the World Assembly was originally supposed to support. The very fact that the same nation proposed a restriction on capital punishment right after the proposal of a ban on the action is simply a veil of the motives of said nation. Any supporters that switched sides from Against to For simply ignore the in depth text right in front of them rather due to it 'sounding nicer' rather than really delving into the hidden motives this text supplies. An eventual downfall of individualism in the World Assembly will occur, and I will not stand for it.

Nagatoshi now removes itself from the World assembly to keep its sovereignty and personal freedoms not controlled by a corrupt council where decisions are decided in the hands of a few rather than the many. Thank you, and good luck with your dictators.

"I am saddened to hear this, and hope you will reconsider withdrawing from the World Assembly. As another Ambassador to my left noted, Democracy only exists as long as people participate in it. If too many discontent nations leave the WA, it risks giving a single Ideology or voting bloc a huge amount of power in dictating what resolutions pass. Mind you I am saying this as a member state that voted for the resolution and would stand to gain by your nation leaving.

Regardless of your nation's decision, I wish you best of luck in the future."
Heinrich August Winkler on the Sonderweg:
"For a long time, educated Germans answered it in the positive, initially by laying claim to a special German mission, then, after the collapse of 1945, by criticizing Germany's deviation from the West. Today, the negative view is predominant. Germany did not, according to the now prevailing opinion, differ from the great European nations to an extent that would justify speaking of a 'unique German path'. And, in any case, no country on earth ever took what can be described as the 'normal path'".

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Nagatoshi wrote:As this proposal is clearly headed to pass, I have this to declare: The authoritarian nature of this proposal goes outside the jurisdiction of the World Assembly. The nature of this document to become so entrenched in the national politics of every nation here will ultimately make the World Assembly into the World Government. As such, Nagatoshi has found itself unable to support the World Assembly any longer and therefore withdraws from the organization.

Though we do not encourage other nations to do the same, the nature of the last two proposals show a decline in the democratic and free nature that the World Assembly was originally supposed to support. The very fact that the same nation proposed a restriction on capital punishment right after the proposal of a ban on the action is simply a veil of the motives of said nation. Any supporters that switched sides from Against to For simply ignore the in depth text right in front of them rather due to it 'sounding nicer' rather than really delving into the hidden motives this text supplies. An eventual downfall of individualism in the World Assembly will occur, and I will not stand for it.

Nagatoshi now removes itself from the World assembly to keep its sovereignty and personal freedoms not controlled by a corrupt council where decisions are decided in the hands of a few rather than the many. Thank you, and good luck with your dictators.

My main nation has also resigned from the WA as a result of this. 60s Music can make 60s Music's own decisions, thank you very much.

Edit: Rejoined just so I can get me some endorsements, heh.
Last edited by Ghost Land on Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

Xanthal
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 16, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Xanthal » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:49 pm

The High Court of the Federation has ordered a moratorium on all non-voluntary judicial executions while it debates how to best comply with this new legislation. Indefinite prison sentences run contrary to the values of the Xanthalian people, so a different solution will have to be found. I don't suppose any of the abolitionists here would petition their governments to take in these poor people whom their crusade has left in limbo?
Last edited by Xanthal on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technology Tier: 9
Arcane Level: 4
Influence Type: 8

Leifar
Secretary

Founded: Sep 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Leifar » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:49 am

Leifar begins to immediately form a repeal draft for the Law. Preventing the Execution of Innocents is not always accurate. Nor is it always possible.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:16 am

Leifar wrote:Leifar begins to immediately form a repeal draft for the Law. Preventing the Execution of Innocents is not always accurate. Nor is it always possible.

The resolution doesn’t actually require member nations to only execute those who are innocent and not guilty, that would be impossible. It does however require member nations to comply with certain standards, such as only executing one person per 1,000,000.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:44 pm

Leifar wrote:Leifar begins to immediately form a repeal draft for the Law. Preventing the Execution of Innocents is not always accurate. Nor is it always possible.

Which is why we have efficient trials. The less civilized nations of the world may have worse legal systems but I'm sure that's different with us.

Saranidia
Minister

Founded: Sep 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Saranidia » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:28 pm

People get worked up on how this limits executions but surely it is better than summary executions being allowed
Mostly represents my views but what I think a Middle Eastern nation should do which will be sometimes different to what I think a western nation should do(because the people have different needs in different places)

Vote Lisa Nandy

Copy this into your sig if you know sex and gender are different and did not fail biology.

RIP grandpa kitchen

Bears Armed Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed Mission » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 am

Saranidia wrote:People get worked up on how this limits executions but surely it is better than summary executions being allowed

"Other resolutions already forbade summary executions, and held member nations' courts to reasonable standards of fairness."

Hwa Sue,
Legal Attaché,
Bears Armed Mission to the World Assembly
(and anthropomorphic male Giant Panda).
A diplomatic mission from Bears Armed, formerly stationed at the W.A. . Population = either thirty-two or sixty-four staff, maybe plus some dependents.

GA & SC Resolution Author

Ardchoille says: “Bears can be depended on for decent arguments even when there aren't any”.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives