NATION

PASSWORD

A-Z 10p coins released April 2018 - in your change?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:22 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:New coins get hoarded; it's a problem.

Maybe if we made them really ugly, then they would get circulated?

SF author Larry Niven once too-seriously suggested making them out of nuclear waste: That money would circulate fast, and -- among other side-effects -- you'd be able to identify pickpockets by their lead-coated gloves...
:lol:

New coins getting hoarded for collector reasons is a non-issue, otherwise the Royal Mint would have not be making commemorative coins in the first place, and the Bank of England would not have not been holding charity auctions for low serial AA01 banknotes.
Last edited by Minoa on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:23 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Vassenor wrote:We learn to distinguish them by shape and feel. In fact the coins are designed to be easy for blind and partially sighted individuals to tell apart.

Yup. As I said earlier, I have worked with foreign tourists and money in the past, and I have never known tourists to get confused about UK coinage. In fact, the only thing that often confuses them is why Scotland and England have banknotes that look completely different...

And the less said about whoever it was who managed to get a Mexican 50 peso coin into circulation that eventually my bus driver confused for a £2 when giving me change the better.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:28 am

Vassenor wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yup. As I said earlier, I have worked with foreign tourists and money in the past, and I have never known tourists to get confused about UK coinage. In fact, the only thing that often confuses them is why Scotland and England have banknotes that look completely different...

And the less said about whoever it was who managed to get a Mexican 50 peso coin into circulation that eventually my bus driver confused for a £2 when giving me change the better.

There are one or two other foreign coins that occasionally get mixed in with the UK coinage. One is the EU cent, you find that mixed in with bags of pennies fairly frequently. There are others, but for the life of me I can't remember what they are. I have occasionally seen American quarters mixed in with 10p bags. :?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:31 am

Vassenor wrote:

There are one or two other foreign coins that occasionally get mixed in with the UK coinage. One is the EU cent, you find that mixed in with bags of pennies fairly frequently. There are others, but for the life of me I can't remember what they are. I have occasionally seen American quarters mixed in with 10p bags. :?

Also, my mistake. Ten Peso coin. It's been a few years since it happened.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:31 am

Vassenor wrote:

Taking into account the tolerance (or tolerable variation in size), there are only so many coin sizes that design teams of all the mints in the world could choose, before inevitably overlapping each other’s choices.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:42 am

Minoa wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:There are one or two other foreign coins that occasionally get mixed in with the UK coinage. One is the EU cent, you find that mixed in with bags of pennies fairly frequently. There are others, but for the life of me I can't remember what they are. I have occasionally seen American quarters mixed in with 10p bags. :?

Taking into account the tolerance (or tolerable variation in size), there are only so many coin sizes that design teams of all the mints in the world could choose, before inevitably overlapping each other’s choices.

Understandable in some circumstances, but the 10p and the American quarter both feel completely different. It's hard to describe, but the 10p feels shiny, whereas the American quarter has a much softer feel like velvet.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:53 am

Vassenor wrote:We learn to distinguish them by shape and feel. In fact the coins are designed to be easy for blind and partially sighted individuals to tell apart.

Yup. As I said earlier, I have worked with foreign tourists and money in the past, and I have never known tourists to get confused about UK coinage. In fact, the only thing that often confuses them is why Scotland and England have banknotes that look completely different...

Northern Ireland has a note-issuing bank of its own as well, or did as "recently" as 1995 (when I saw some of its note) anyway...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Minoa
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:57 am

Bears Armed wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Yup. As I said earlier, I have worked with foreign tourists and money in the past, and I have never known tourists to get confused about UK coinage. In fact, the only thing that often confuses them is why Scotland and England have banknotes that look completely different...

Northern Ireland has a note-issuing bank of its own as well, or did as "recently" as 1995 (when I saw some of its note) anyway...

Ulster Bank is getting new banknotes next year. Northern Ireland banknotes remain alive and well, but in Great Britain it often gets banked and sent back to Northern Ireland before returning to circulation, depending on condition … or it ends up in someone’s banknote collection.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44236965

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:02 am

Vassenor wrote:
Forsher wrote:
You literally cannot read the middle coin. It's 5p only by a process of elimination. Compare coins here or in Australia where the numbers receive prominence, not tiny little fonts on tiny little coins.

The UK sacrificed fitness of purpose for aesthetic concerns, and chose a dumb aesthetic in doing so (if it doesn't look cool on one coin, it doesn't look cool in practice).

Also, spoiler your image.

We learn to distinguish them by shape and feel. In fact the coins are designed to be easy for blind and partially sighted individuals to tell apart.

You know that this isn't the same as associating a different coin with a value, right?

I'm not rehashing this argument again. Far too many of you have failed at this very obvious hurdle. The thread is small, just read it.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:10 am

Forsher wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
We learn to distinguish them by shape and feel. In fact the coins are designed to be easy for blind and partially sighted individuals to tell apart.

You know that this isn't the same as associating a different coin with a value, right?

I'm not rehashing this argument again. Far too many of you have failed at this very obvious hurdle. The thread is small, just read it.

Your argument is that you cannot read the text on the coin. The response is that you don't need to.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:12 am

Bears Armed wrote:

Most of the movement of foreign tourists is between England and Scotland, not between Northern Ireland and the aforementioned, which accounts for why the question is usually framed in that way.

Wave on, wave on

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:56 am

Vassenor wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Your argument is that you cannot read the text on the coin. The response is that you don't need to.

That's moronic. YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT THE VALUES ARE. It doesn't matter how easy the coins are to distinguish if they're not associated with any denomination. Go and pick up a worm, a cockroach and a mouse. You can tell the difference between these easily, right? Cool. Now tell me which one I don't like the most. A fool's errand, right? Because you have no idea what value is attached to each of these animals.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:57 am

Forsher wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

That's moronic. YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT THE VALUES ARE. It doesn't matter how easy the coins are to distinguish if they're not associated with any denomination. Go and pick up a worm, a cockroach and a mouse. You can tell the difference between these easily, right? Cool. Now tell me which one I don't like the most. A fool's errand, right? Because you have no idea what value is attached to each of these animals.

And we know that Shape X means Value Y.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:57 am

Forsher wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

That's moronic. YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT THE VALUES ARE. It doesn't matter how easy the coins are to distinguish if they're not associated with any denomination.

They are associated with a denomination, it is written on them for fuck's sake. :roll:

Last edited by The New California Republic on Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wave on, wave on

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:59 am

I didn't think the coins were that confusing when I visited the UK.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:01 am

USS Monitor wrote:I didn't think the coins were that confusing when I visited the UK.

To be honest it is a mountain out of a molehill. I have never heard any locals or any tourists complaining about it.

Wave on, wave on

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:02 am

Forsher wrote:
That's moronic. YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT THE VALUES ARE. It doesn't matter how easy the coins are to distinguish if they're not associated with any denomination.

They are associated with a denomination, it is written on them for fuck's sake. :roll:

Here is a standard UK ten pence coin, photographed at approximately two to two and a half feet away.

Notice how the TEN PENCE "tiny font" is still legible.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:04 am

I am actually scrutinizing your DVD collection rather than the coin. Perhaps a blank background would have been better? :p

Wave on, wave on

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:05 am

I am actually scrutinizing your DVD collection rather than the coin. Perhaps a blank background would have been better? :p

It's pretty good. Worth a little more than ten pence, but I'll take it.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:11 am

=3=
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:21 am

Vassenor wrote:
Forsher wrote:

You do.

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:49 am

Good, I wasn't the only one! :p

Anyway, the denomination looks like it's written in the same size as the "FIVE CENTS" text on the US nickel, and I can read that at an arm's length away, so I don't see what the issue is. Honestly, I think that coin series is a stupid design and the previous series was better (and a bit easier to read the denomination...), but it's not like you can't make out how much the coin is worth.

Now, if you really want confusing, nowhere on the US dime does it say that the coin is worth 10 cents...
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:03 am

Forsher wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

You do.

And so apparently do the tourists given what everyone else has said.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:17 am

Stiltball wrote:Apart from coins in collectors issues - have any of you had them in your change?

Aye.

/do people still use coins in this day and age? asks BN- Depends if I'm human- I use notes too(shock horror)/

I use plastic whenever possible, but sometimes I'm forced to use coins and notes.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:25 am

Vassenor wrote:
Forsher wrote:
You do.

And so apparently do the tourists given what everyone else has said.

Any time you travel to a new country, there's a bit of squinting at your change going, "Wait, what's this coin?" and looking at price tags going, "OK, but what does that number really mean?"

But there's nothing uniquely British about the issue. Soles, Euros, and RMB are just as confusing as pounds if you are fresh off the plane and don't know what the different denominations look like yet.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General