NATION

PASSWORD

NFL Thread v2: The 2020 NFL Season!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Super Bowl Championship: Who’s the winner?

Kansas City Chiefs and Patty freaking Mahomes
56%
Seattle Seahawks, Let Russ Cool!
44%

Total votes : 9

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:01 am

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ranoria wrote:In my opinion, not only that, but JJ Watt is due for a game against the Pats. I'm always hyped to see him go after Brady, because Brady, in my opinion, is fine until you move him from his spot (Goff's the same way, but Brady is certainly better under pressure), and Clowney is healthy.

Texans are 1-9 all time vs Pats with the lone win coming at Houston. I'd love to see the Pats lose their home opener, but with that said, i don't expect it.

Just got a feeling, ya know? Besides, Brady's due to drop off big.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Freezic Vast
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:05 am

Ranoria wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:
Texans are 1-9 all time vs Pats with the lone win coming at Houston. I'd love to see the Pats lose their home opener, but with that said, i don't expect it.

Just got a feeling, ya know? Besides, Brady's due to drop off big.

20 year old, male from Pennsylvania and proud of it. Love sports like football, baseball and hockey, enjoy video games and TV. Music is love, music is life. I'm bi and conservative.
Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Mark Ronson ft. Miley Cyrus
Tired, and bored, need sleep.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:08 am

Freezic Vast wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Just got a feeling, ya know? Besides, Brady's due to drop off big.

Hey, Peyton went from 4,700 yards, 39 TDs, and 15 INT to absolute garbage as a passer. Arm was just completely gone. Granted, he threw the ball over 1200 times in the two seasons prior as compared to Brady's just over 1,000, so who knows?
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:13 am

Jerzylvania wrote:
Ranoria wrote:In my opinion, not only that, but JJ Watt is due for a game against the Pats. I'm always hyped to see him go after Brady, because Brady, in my opinion, is fine until you move him from his spot (Goff's the same way, but Brady is certainly better under pressure), and Clowney is healthy.

I don't necessarily expect it either, but I do think it could happen. History favors the Pats, but I do think this Texans team is better than most of the 9 the Patriots have beaten in the past.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 10, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:00 am

Freezic Vast wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Just got a feeling, ya know? Besides, Brady's due to drop off big.

Donald Trump has no clue as to what "insuring the domestic tranquility" means

The Baltimore Orioles are shocking the baseball world!

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 am

Idzequitch wrote:
Jerzylvania wrote:

I don't necessarily expect it either, but I do think it could happen. History favors the Pats, but I do think this Texans team is better than most of the 9 the Patriots have beaten in the past.

I might as well take the plunge. Winning team is underlined.

Falcons - Eagles
Bengals - Colts
Ravens - Bills
Saints - Bucs
Pats - Texans
Niners - Vikings
Titans - Dolphins
Jaguars - Giants
Steelers - Browns
Chiefs - Chargers
Panthers - Cowboys
Redskins - Cardinals
Seahawks - Broncos
Packers -Bears
Lions - Jets
Rams - Raiders

First week, 11-4, not bad.
I threw the Steelers/Browns tie out. Should we all take a loss or just disregard ties?
Last edited by Jerzylvania on Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jerzylvania is the NFL Picks League Champion in 2018 and in 2020 as puppet Traffic Signal and AGAIN in 2023 as puppet Joe Munchkin !!!

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:38 am

Another tough year to be a raider fan.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Damukuni
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 31, 2014

Damukuni's Picks: An NS Sports-related Experiment

Postby Damukuni » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:06 pm

Damukuni's NFL Picks
An NS Sports-Related Experiment
2018-19 Week 1

NOTE: This is not an official NS Sports project!

Hi folks! Damukuni here. If you're part of NS Sports, you'll know me as the Chief Executive and WA Delegate of Esportiva.

Now that the regular NFL season is about to start, FiveThirtyEight has released their live Elo prediction grid. I mused over last year's project with a few people from the NS Sports community. Why not, I wondered aloud, take the Elo ratings from the 32 NFL teams, as told by 538, and plug them into one of the most used NS Sports score generators which we use in our sports roleplays? That being said, here's how my simulation will work:

xkoranate
xkoranate was developed by long-time NS Sporter Commerce Heights, currently the director of UICA, the overseer of the global domestic soccer team competition (t=3108) in NS Sports. Since its inception, it has been expanded to include nearly a hundred different sport-related disciplines. Many disciples have multiple formulas for calculating projected scores. The latest version, 0.3.3, can be downloaded here if you are interested in trying this program out for yourself (but it comes with no documentation or warranty, although the #nssport channel on EsperNet IRC or the NS Sport Discord might be able to help).

Schiavone-Qutari International Scorination (SQIS)
The SQIS formula, devised by former long-time NS Sporters Schiavonia (CTEd 2016) and Qutar (CTEd 2012), is a popular formula for scorinating (soccer) football games. The formula was expanded officially to American football sometime after the (soccer) football method was developed. An unofficial expansion to ice hockey was created by Free Republics.

For more information on programs and formulae used, see the List of Scorinators and Other Related Programs.

The "Scorination" Itself
538 uses 1500 as the centering point of its Elo rating system. 1500 therefore represents the most mediocre team in the NFL. You can see the whole Elo table on the aforementioned 538 site. These Elo ratings now translate to skill bonuses, commonly called roleplay (RP) bonus in the NS Sport community. The minimum possible skill is 0 (zero), and the maximum possible skill is 3000. No team will ever reach either rating extreme, but 0-3000 is a common range if the centering point is 1500.

The NFL schedule is then input into xkoranate as any number of single matches. Because modified "sudden-death" overtime is used in the NFL, the formula for sudden-death overtime is used.

Posting Schedule
With the exception of this week, postings will be made every Wednesday night at 9 PM US Eastern time.

And, of course, once again, these are just my predictions, not a formal measurement of actual NFL team performance.

With that, here's my predictions for Week 1!

NOTE: The home team is listed on the LEFT as per NS Sports conventions.
Eagles      3–10   Falcons                    Thursday Night Football (NBC) 6/9/18 20:20 ET
Ravens 9–35 Bills Sunday 9/9/18 13:00 ET (CBS)
Giants 3–17 Jaguars Sunday 9/9/18 13:00 ET (FOX)
Saints 3– 0 Buccaneers Sunday 9/9/18 13:00 ET (FOX)
Patriots 13– 3 Texans Sunday 9/9/18 13:00 ET (CBS)
Vikings 10–10 49ers (16–10 OT) Sunday 9/9/18 13:00 ET (FOX)
Dolphins 19– 7 Titans Sunday 9/9/18 13:00 ET (FOX)
Colts 16– 9 Bengals Sunday 9/9/18 13:00 ET (CBS)
Browns 13–29 Steelers Sunday 9/9/18 13:00 ET (CBS)
Chargers 23– 6 Chiefs Sunday 9/9/18 16:05 ET (CBS)
Broncos 27–10 Seahawks Sunday 9/9/18 16:25 ET (FOX)
Panthers 3–17 Cowboys Sunday 9/9/18 16:25 ET (FOX)
Cardinals 7– 3 Redskins Sunday 9/9/18 16:25 ET (FOX)
Packers 32–23 Bears Sunday Night Football (NBC) 9/9/18 20:20 ET
Lions 13–16 Jets Monday Night Football (ESPN) 10/9/18 19:10 ET
Raiders 26–27 Rams Monday Night Football (ESPN) 10/9/18 22:20 ET
Last edited by Damukuni on Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THE UNITED INTERPLANETARY STATES OF DAMUKUNI
Cap: Atarashii-Damushuto | Pop: 356,709,481 (2070) | Lang: English, Damukunian | Money: Damuokane (Ð)
Former Leader of Esportiva | Damukuni on NSSWiki
CoH 69 4th Place | CoH 75 Runners-up

Cleveland Burning
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cleveland Burning » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:28 pm

:roll: Garbage in, garbage out. Browns player turnover described over the past 18 seasons. That's in doubt this season. Yay! Not smelling so trashy now.

Is hope restored?
Browns 31 Steelers 30
Yep. :)

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:26 pm

Okay, I guess it's about time to make this public. Anyone who has posted their picks on this thread is included in my spreadsheet. If you don't want me to track your picks, just tell me and I'll remove you. Similarly, I'd be happy to add anyone who hasn't made picks yet, even if they don't post for week 1. Any suggestions for changes or new features are welcome!
Last edited by Kohr on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Kohr wrote:Okay, I guess it's about time to make this public. Anyone who has posted their picks on this thread is included in my spreadsheet. If you don't want me to track your picks, just tell me and I'll remove you. Similarly, I'd be happy to add anyone who hasn't made picks yet, even if they don't post for week 1. Any suggestions for changes or new features are welcome!

Very nicely done. :)

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:49 pm

What the Hell. I know more about football than Mel Kiper. I bet I nail this. I shall dominate the spreadsheet!
Eagles over Falcons.
Colts over Bengals
Bills over Ravens
Saints over Bucs
Patriots over Texans
Vikings over 49'ers
Titans over Dolphins
Jags over Giants
Steelers over Browns
Chiefs over Chargers
Panthers over Cowboys
Cardinals over Redskins
Seahawks over Denver
Packers over Bears
Jets over Lions
Rams over Raiders
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Kohr
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2015
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Kohr » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Kohr wrote:Okay, I guess it's about time to make this public. Anyone who has posted their picks on this thread is included in my spreadsheet. If you don't want me to track your picks, just tell me and I'll remove you. Similarly, I'd be happy to add anyone who hasn't made picks yet, even if they don't post for week 1. Any suggestions for changes or new features are welcome!

Very nicely done. :)

Hey, thanks!

Ameriganastan wrote:What the Hell. I know more about football than Mel Kiper. I bet I nail this. I shall dominate the spreadsheet!
Eagles over Falcons.
Colts over Bengals
Bills over Ravens
Saints over Bucs
Patriots over Texans
Vikings over 49'ers
Titans over Dolphins
Jags over Giants
Steelers over Browns
Chiefs over Chargers
Panthers over Cowboys
Cardinals over Redskins
Seahawks over Denver
Packers over Bears
Jets over Lions
Rams over Raiders

Picking against your own team, I see.
Last edited by Kohr on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Kohr wrote:Picking against your own team, I see.

I am under no delusions about Denver this year. I'll pick them 3, maybe 4 times.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:05 pm

I heard rumors that the game may be delayed until about 9 PM EST, so we have to wait for kickoff even longer... fuck.
20 year old, male from Pennsylvania and proud of it. Love sports like football, baseball and hockey, enjoy video games and TV. Music is love, music is life. I'm bi and conservative.

Damukuni
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 31, 2014

Postby Damukuni » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:What the Hell. I know more about football than Mel Kiper. I bet I nail this. I shall dominate the spreadsheet!

Oh hey, I know you from the LoL thread... I suppose all of us who cared about strong teams winning definitely picked TSM at the beginning of the LCS season to streamroll everyone right? :rofl:

Good luck 8)
THE UNITED INTERPLANETARY STATES OF DAMUKUNI
Cap: Atarashii-Damushuto | Pop: 356,709,481 (2070) | Lang: English, Damukunian | Money: Damuokane (Ð)
Former Leader of Esportiva | Damukuni on NSSWiki
CoH 69 4th Place | CoH 75 Runners-up

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Damukuni wrote:

Oh hey, I know you from the LoL thread... I suppose all of us who cared about strong teams winning definitely picked TSM at the beginning of the LCS season to streamroll everyone right? :rofl:

Good luck 8)

I don't really follow the LCS. I only paid attention last season cause they made a bracket game out of it.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Jerzylvania
Postmaster-General

Postby Jerzylvania » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Damukuni wrote:

Good luck 8)

You have the Bills scoring 35 points? With Nathan Peterman at QB? On the Ravens D in Baltimore? And winning 35-9? I think you fucked up here.

538 has the Ravens at 64% prob for the win, but hey, that's why they play the games.

BTW, I think it might rain Sunday.

Good luck.

Freezic Vast
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Freezic Vast » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Okay Boyz II Men singing the national anthem was a blessing, great to finally hear them and show support for Philly. 8)

Zurkerx
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Zurkerx » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:16 pm

And the Eagles defense holds, for now. Let's see what this offense does.
A Golden Civic: The New Pragmatic Libertarian
My Words: Indeed, Indubitably & Malarkey
Retired Admin in NSGS and NS Parliament

Accountant, Author, History Buff, Political Junkie
“Has ambition so eclipsed principle?” ~ Mitt Romney
"Try not to become a person of success, but rather try to become a person of value." ~ Albert Einstein
"Trust, but verify." ~ Ronald Reagan

United Kingdom of Poland
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby United Kingdom of Poland » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:18 pm

Jerzylvania wrote:
Damukuni wrote:Oh hey, I know you from the LoL thread... I suppose all of us who cared about strong teams winning definitely picked TSM at the beginning of the LCS season to streamroll everyone right? :rofl:

Good luck 8)

You have the Bills scoring 35 points? With Nathan Peterman at QB? On the Ravens D in Baltimore? And winning 35-9? I think you fucked up here.

538 has the Ravens at 64% prob for the win, but hey, that's why they play the games.

BTW, I think it might rain Sunday.

Good luck.

maybe its all off pick sixes

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:18 pm

First drive of the season Sarkisian the great butt fumble does it again!

AND AGAIN! Are we sure Sarkisian is sober?
Last edited by Impaled Nazarene on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:42 pm

I might as well get in on this.
Falcons over Eagles
Colts over Bengals
Ravens over Bills
Saints over Bucs
Patriots over Texans
49’ers over Vikings
Titans over Dolphins
Jags over Giants
Steelers over Browns
Chiefs over Chargers
Panthers over Cowboys
Cardinals over Redskins
Seahawks over Denver
Packers over Bears
Jets over Lions
Rams over Raiders
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:56 pm

So the NFL figures out what a catch is. But can’t call pass interference correctly?!
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:17 pm

I think Atlanta’s offense would be pretty easy to run. Have 9 guys pass block, keep Devonta Freeman off the field, since you’re passing every down, and throw it to Julio.
Lumi is my NS mom

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General