NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Command Responsibility

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thyerata
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyerata » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:36 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Thyerata wrote:OOC: I'm having trouble with Article II. Assuming you're following RL public international law in this resolution, the "I was following orders" defence either doesn't exist, or is severely restricted. If that were true - and I'd need to check my books when I go back to university next week - then Article II is redundant

OOC: you're not correct. The Nuremburg defense may fly in Nationstates because some nations will consider that acceptable as a defense. Certainly, there is nothing that bans it as a defense, currently. I've limited it. Similarly, I've bolstered it in a select few circumstances, so the opposite approach, that it is never a good defense, isn't always true.

Unlike Real World international law, we assume there is no common law or customary law when writing WA resolutions. If it isn't written into statute, then its the wild west.

OOC: Thyerata does follow RL public international law, meaning that the Nuremberg defence would not work. Consequently Article II is incompatible with domestic law.

IC: it is our view that the defence of "I was just following orders" does not exist in international law. In any event Thytian law does not recognise it. Consequently, as Article II seems to envisage such a defence, we are opposed to this proposal.
From the Desk of the Honourable Matthew Merriweather Ph.D. (Law, 2040) LLM Public and International Law, 2036) LLB Law (2035) (all from Thyerata State University)
Thytian Ambassador to the World Assembly and Security Council

I'm a gay man with an LLM, mild Asperger syndrome and only one functioning eye. My IC posts may reflect this, so please be aware

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:38 pm

Thyerata wrote:
OOC: Thyerata does follow RL public international law, meaning that the Nuremberg defence would not work. Consequently Article II is incompatible with domestic law.

OOC: National law is not a defense to not comply with international law, and it isn't a justification to prevent drafting on a topic. Vote against.
IC: it is our view that the defence of "I was just following orders" does not exist in international law. In any event Thytian law does not recognise it. Consequently, as Article II seems to envisage such a defence, we are opposed to this proposal.

"If you are unwilling to comply with WA law, you and I have little to discuss. Until then, your vote against is noted."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:00 pm

lolwut, GA 2.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:35 am

*<notes that the definition of "commander" used in Article 1.1 would cover not only officers in the standard line of command but also political commissars or religious inquisitors>*

"Good. We can, and will, support this."

Hwa Sue,
Legal Attaché,
Bears Armed Mission to the World Assembly
(and anthropomorphic male Giant Panda).
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:56 am

"All edits made to bring this up to date."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:46 pm

OOC: I know I'm good, but am I that good?

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:32 am

“Clause I-4 seems unusually harsh for a WA-mandated punishment, where said infraction could have happened years ago or was of a very trivial nature.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:45 am

Kenmoria wrote:“Clause I-4 seems unusually harsh for a WA-mandated punishment, where said infraction could have happened years ago or was of a very trivial nature.”

"Clause four is not punitive. Clause four is a disincentive so nations cant stack up the same trivial punishments on their one general who is happy to get his hands dirty. It prevents abuse, even if its harsh. Frankly, if you're found guilty of a war crime, you were unlikely to retain command anyway."

The Free Islands of Independence
Envoy

Founded: Oct 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Islands of Independence » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:16 pm

"The FII supports this proposal and will vote for this should it go to vote."
No NS stats please.
Embassy Program: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=425840
QNA: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=427001

Tuummaarraa
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 03, 2018
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Tuummaarraa » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:17 pm

I am going to say this diplomatically: I am against your proposal and will not support it in any way. Your suggestions will only lead to the eventual downfall of the affected nations. Try again.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Tuummaarraa wrote:I am going to say this diplomatically: I am against your proposal and will not support it in any way. Your suggestions will only lead to the eventual downfall of the affected nations. Try again.

"No. Your vote against is noted, though."

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:43 am

OOC: Bump

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:03 pm

I have no real objections.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:25 pm

I support

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Old Hope
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Old Hope » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:25 pm

"Well written, sensible legislation... we will vote for if this ever comes to vote in this version, and recommend the authoring nation to submit this version for consideration."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:The format wars are a waste of time.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:31 am

“I have no objections. Nothing in here looks as though it could pose any problems at vote, nor requires more rethinking.”
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:47 am

OOC
Just one suggestion.
Maybe this could be extended to cover responsibility not only for "armed forces" as such -- which some national governments might argue means only their own "regular" forces -- but also, explicitly, responsibility for all other military or paramilitary groups working for (or, at least, condoned by) those nations as well? Otherwise some member nations might "overlook" or even [however covertly] order atrocities carried out by -- for example -- armed 'police' units, privateers, 'private military contractors' (and other mercenaries not organised as an integral part of the nation's regular forces), non-governmental 'militias' or 'volunteer' groups of various kinds (as seen in RL, for example, in the atrocities that a gang organised from among a Serbian football team's supporters carried out in Bosnia), and so on...
If you decide not to make this change then I'll have to search my old notes: I started work on drafting for a proposal requiring member nations to hold any such groups working on their behalf to the same standards of operational behaviour as they do their own armed forces, with a named officer or official in that nation's employ legally responsible for this in each case, but suspect that that draft has long since been lost.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:32 am

Bears Armed wrote:OOC
Just one suggestion.
Maybe this could be extended to cover responsibility not only for "armed forces" as such -- which some national governments might argue means only their own "regular" forces -- but also, explicitly, responsibility for all other military or paramilitary groups working for (or, at least, condoned by) those nations as well? Otherwise some member nations might "overlook" or even [however covertly] order atrocities carried out by -- for example -- armed 'police' units, privateers, 'private military contractors' (and other mercenaries not organised as an integral part of the nation's regular forces), non-governmental 'militias' or 'volunteer' groups of various kinds (as seen in RL, for example, in the atrocities that a gang organised from among a Serbian football team's supporters carried out in Bosnia), and so on...
If you decide not to make this change then I'll have to search my old notes: I started work on drafting for a proposal requiring member nations to hold any such groups working on their behalf to the same standards of operational behaviour as they do their own armed forces, with a named officer or official in that nation's employ legally responsible for this in each case, but suspect that that draft has long since been lost.

"I clarified a bit to include irregular forces, but I drew the line at decentralized mobs. Where there isn't a command element, command responsibility isn't really applicable."

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:38 am

OOC
Okay, thanks.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:26 am

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:11 pm

IC: The young woman on the Araraukarian seat frowns as she tries to decipher some handwritten notes. "Um, the clause four says you need to sack commanders after a military court has decided they've done what the proposal says needs to be criminalized, but isn't that a loophole for nations that don't want to obey, as all they'd need to do was to not do the military court bit? Like, I get that you want to separate the whole "yes they did wrong" from "and this is their punishment for the wrongdoing" parts, but wouldn't the "yes they did wrong" work through any kind of court, not just military one? Especially if you've got no military and thus no military court, but you got these military-like forces, like private armies or something, that do the dirty work normally done by militaries."

OOC: In case the intern is being unclear, rather than specifically require a court martial to decide the commander has broken the proposal's commandments, couldn't you just require a legal procedure of any kind to determine it, separate from criminal punishment?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Visionary Union
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2018
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Visionary Union » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:54 pm

OOC: Despite reading previous replies, I'm yet to understand on who falls the responsibility in a case of a Prime Minister/President gives the order to commit war crimes. On the civilian politican, or on the Chief Commamder who relied it forward?

Also, if I may borrow from a real life case, here in the IDF we have a thing called "Completely illegal order", "ilegal order" and "order".

The first one is an order to which a soldier is expected to refuse to follow it and actively stop it, like shooting a baby or rape or anything similar, because any decent human being will never do those acts. While I'm aware that there is a clause which touches this exact issue, I'm afraid that trying to define when is it s completely ilegal order will only cause problems with either soldiers committing horrible crimes or just refusing non completely ilegal orders.

Karteria
Envoy

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:03 pm

"Full support."
World Assembly Delegate for the New West Indies region.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:47 pm

Visionary Union wrote:OOC: Despite reading previous replies, I'm yet to understand on who falls the responsibility in a case of a Prime Minister/President gives the order to commit war crimes. On the civilian politican, or on the Chief Commamder who relied it forward?

OOC: both. Though, the civilian commander doesn't have a real command to lose, so its theoretically possible such a leader could be permitted office after such a violation. However, I think it so unlikely that a nation would permit a convicted war criminal to hold office multiple times. Not much for it though.
Also, if I may borrow from a real life case, here in the IDF we have a thing called "Completely illegal order", "ilegal order" and "order".

That is silly. An order is legal or it is not.
The first one is an order to which a soldier is expected to refuse to follow it and actively stop it, like shooting a baby or rape or anything similar, because any decent human being will never do those acts. While I'm aware that there is a clause which touches this exact issue, I'm afraid that trying to define when is it s completely ilegal order will only cause problems with either soldiers committing horrible crimes or just refusing non completely ilegal orders.

OOC: Its quite simple. I've done it. If the order violates the law in it's necessary execution, it is not a legal order. If the order does not violate the law, it isn't an illegal order. An order that is ambiguously illegal is really only a problem if the illegal interpretation is executed. It is a very simple dichotomy.

Karteria wrote:"Full support."

"Your support is appreciated, ambassador."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives