NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Ban on Capital Punishment

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:"There can be disincentives. if the prison system allows there to be. Loss of priveliges, longer times before release, solitary confinement and removal of visiting time can all function as good alternatives to the death penalty."

"Firstly, for individuals who have already had all those privileges removed, there are no further disincentives. All prison systems have a limit to the level of punishment an inmate can be given, after which point the only disincentive can be death.

"Secondly, the very presence of such amenities in prisons functions as an incentive to commit crimes. The only way prisons can deter the poor, and therefore most likely to turn to crime, from actually committing crimes is if prisons are worse than the impoverished situations would be criminals live in. When prisons are better than the surrounding society, criminals are not afraid to face the consequences."

"It sounds to me that your problem is the way you treat your poor, not the way you treat your criminals"
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:04 pm

I must have missed the beat somewhere. How exactly is this legal, with #375 still in force?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:I must have missed the beat somewhere. How exactly is this legal, with #375 still in force?

It's a replacement for 375.

Northern Green land
Secretary

Founded: Jul 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Green land » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:07 pm

I don't want to sign this.
Last edited by Northern Green land on Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:20 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:
Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:I must have missed the beat somewhere. How exactly is this legal, with #375 still in force?

It's a replacement for 375.

Well, thank you for explaining that so clearly in the OP.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:It's a replacement for 375.

Well, thank you for explaining that so clearly in the OP.

I thought [REPLACEMENT] would do. My apologies.

Zone 71
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:17 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Well, thank you for explaining that so clearly in the OP.

I thought [REPLACEMENT] would do. My apologies.

OOC: Did you manage to repeal the existing legislation that permitted capital punishment?

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:23 pm

Zone 71 wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:I thought [REPLACEMENT] would do. My apologies.

OOC: Did you manage to repeal the existing legislation that permitted capital punishment?

This comes after the draft I posted for that (got dropped down a bit) passes. So, not yet. I'll bump that thread.

Zone 71
Envoy

Founded: Apr 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Zone 71 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:26 pm

Zone 71 wrote:OOC: Did you manage to repeal the existing legislation that permitted capital punishment?

This comes after the draft I posted for that (got dropped down a bit) passes. So, not yet. I'll bump that thread.

OOC: And this is a really real draft for what you hope to be really real GA legislation? Because, with all due respect, seems like a joke that will surely make it difficult to take your ideas on this subject seriously, and doesn't help garner support for this ban on capital punishment whatsoever.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:29 pm

Zone 71 wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:This comes after the draft I posted for that (got dropped down a bit) passes. So, not yet. I'll bump that thread.

OOC: And this is a really real draft for what you hope to be really real GA legislation? Because, with all due respect, seems like a joke that will surely make it difficult to take your ideas on this subject seriously, and doesn't help garner support for this ban on capital punishment whatsoever.

Why do resolutions have to be long? I laid out my reasoning (basically the preamble) in the repeal.
Last edited by United Massachusetts on Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:01 pm

Length isn't a real requirement. That something is short doesn't matter, unless there are harms from the text not covering something. That it is short, in of itself, is not a bad thing.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:40 am

Zone 71 wrote:OOC: And this is a really real draft for what you hope to be really real GA legislation? Because, with all due respect, seems like a joke that will surely make it difficult to take your ideas on this subject seriously, and doesn't help garner support for this ban on capital punishment whatsoever.

Why do resolutions have to be long? I laid out my reasoning (basically the preamble) in the repeal.

Ooc: short is good, to a point. You make it too short and people will think the length is a product of ineptitude rather than by design. The illusion of legal jargon does the same thing. Comes now the party of the first part, heretofore the petitioner, by and through their attorney...blegh.

To avoid this, I suggest a standard form preamble with more than one line and a single operative clause.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:42 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:Why do resolutions have to be long? I laid out my reasoning (basically the preamble) in the repeal.

Ooc: short is good, to a point. You make it too short and people will think the length is a product of ineptitude rather than by design. The illusion of legal jargon does the same thing. Comes now the party of the first part, heretofore the petitioner, by and through their attorney...blegh.

To avoid this, I suggest a standard form preamble with more than one line and a single operative clause.

Aw. Oh well, I'll put in a preamble.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:44 am

Aw. Oh well, I'll put in a preamble.

I share your disappointment, but there are certain customs to which we must adhere to ensure legitimacy in the eyes of voters.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:54 am

Lampshade it, put a clause in saying that justifying the choice of a short length.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:10 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:Lampshade it, put a clause in saying that justifying the choice of a short length.

"Believing this could have been done in a shorter form, but bowing to the will of the unwashed masses"
:lol:

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:31 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:Why do resolutions have to be long? I laid out my reasoning (basically the preamble) in the repeal.

OOC: As one of my teachers who was fond of crass humor would say, writing anything is like a girl's skirt: It should be long enough to cover everything but short enough to keep it interesting.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:50 pm

Liberimery wrote:

OOC: As one of my teachers who was fond of crass humor would say, writing anything is like a girl's skirt: It should be long enough to cover everything but short enough to keep it interesting.

OOC: Do note that 'interesting' (meaning how engaging the proposal is) isn't exactly a requirement for writing proposals/resolutions.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:14 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
Liberimery wrote:

OOC: Do note that 'interesting' (meaning how engaging the proposal is) isn't exactly a requirement for writing proposals/resolutions.

But it helps.

Anyway, I don't think anyone will think that UM's brevity is a product of ineptitude.
Last edited by Aclion on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:23 pm

Aclion wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:OOC: Do note that 'interesting' (meaning how engaging the proposal is) isn't exactly a requirement for writing proposals/resolutions.

But it helps.

Anyway, I don't think anyone will think that UM's brevity is a product of ineptitude.

A product of the secret Catholic agenda. UM doesn't want to present his reasoning because it will show his true motives.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:24 pm

Aclion wrote:But it helps.

A product of the secret Catholic agenda. UM doesn't want to present his reasoning because it will show his true motives.

He must be stopped.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:26 pm

Bruke wrote:
United Massachusetts wrote:A product of the secret Catholic agenda. UM doesn't want to present his reasoning because it will show his true motives.

He must be stopped.

First, it's the death penalty. Next, it's the global Inquisition.

No one expects it. His chief weapon is surprise.
Last edited by United Massachusetts on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 pm

Bruke wrote:
He must be stopped.

We will stop him by enacting ultra-luxurious capitalist anarcho-communism.

Antlionia
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Antlionia » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:42 pm

President Willis stood up, hands on the desk.

"These are wise words, enterprising men. But do you have the slightliest of ideas how much it would backlash in your face if it failed, or even if it was accepted? Mankind always seemed to prefer nonsense to rationality."

He sat back down, continuing to talk.

"The people of Antlionia will support you in your crusade against this inhumane way to treat men and women, But keep in mind that if it fails, you're on your own, Komaransky.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:38 am

Bruke wrote:
He must be stopped.

His chief weapon is surprise, fear and surprise; two chief weapons, fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency! Er, among UM’s chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and near fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Um, I'll come in again...”
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives