NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED; #1078] - Down With That?

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:40 pm

Sacara wrote:I had questions about this, too. I'll just use 'them'. :p
Heathen.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:44 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Heathen.
We can't offend anyone, now can we? I'd rather use 'he', just a generic pronoun, but someone would probably get offended. :rofl:
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:01 pm

You could dodge the pronoun issue by tweaking the line to something like "the captain is never there when needed", or some more interesting variation.

You can also justify the use of "them" by just making "captains" plural as well, since the ruling is something that applies to all the captains in the nation rather than just to one particular ship (since @@LEADER@@ and the player-behind-the-screen aren't actually on any ship in particular that would make it more relevant than every other ship, so even the "the" is of questionable appropiateness).

Anyway, I do think the pronoun macro will work in effect lines, although it's debatable if that actually solves the offensiveness problem, because it just means that half the time the game will assume that all captains are male, and the other half the game will assume that all captains are female. Any given player will only see one pronoun at a time on answering the issue, regardless.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:24 pm

Removed option three, minor edits to description, and changed effect line for option two.
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:51 pm

So speaking of pronouns...
Sacara wrote:"They cannot help the relief effort if they aren't on the actual ship! The captain should always see to it that everyone on board gets off safely before they do, and if they don’t, we must punish the cowards to the fullest extent of the law!"
My personal policy for these kind of situations is to use the pronoun applying to whichever person sparked the discussion, even if the conclusions are more generally applicable to other people, though changing "the captain" to "captains" would also be an easy solution (and would fit better with the plural "cowards").

Sacara wrote:[Option 2] "Let's not be too hasty about who we assign the blame to here," defends the Captain of cruise ship
You're missing a "the" here.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:30 pm

Trotterdam wrote:So speaking of pronouns...
Sacara wrote:"They cannot help the relief effort if they aren't on the actual ship! The captain should always see to it that everyone on board gets off safely before they do, and if they don’t, we must punish the cowards to the fullest extent of the law!"
My personal policy for these kind of situations is to use the pronoun applying to whichever person sparked the discussion, even if the conclusions are more generally applicable to other people, though changing "the captain" to "captains" would also be an easy solution (and would fit better with the plural "cowards").

Sacara wrote:[Option 2] "Let's not be too hasty about who we assign the blame to here," defends the Captain of cruise ship
You're missing a "the" here.

I would hop on board right away with what you said if I were writing a formal paper, but this is dialouge. There is no need for perfect grammar in this sense. However, I have nothing against changing it. And thanks for spotting the error.

Anything else for feedback?
Commended by SC #382

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:23 pm

If you were making the sinking happen last week/earlier, I feel I should I should point out that your description still describes it happening as "earlier this morning".
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:25 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:If you were making the sinking happen last week/earlier, I feel I should I should point out that your description still describes it happening as "earlier this morning".

Oops. Fixed! How is this coming along?
Commended by SC #382

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:34 pm

Sacara wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:If you were making the sinking happen last week/earlier, I feel I should I should point out that your description still describes it happening as "earlier this morning".

Oops. Fixed! How is this coming along?

It's looking like a good, solid issue IMO.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:55 pm

Looking good I say. A genuinely difficult 2-way life and death style issue forming up.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:43 am

Agree, this issue is very good.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:57 pm

I'll leave this up for a couple of days to see if I can field more comments. Thanks for the compliments. :)
Commended by SC #382

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:01 pm

Tiny little thing, but I think 'coward' would be better than 'cowards' given that the speaker is talking about 'the captain' earlier on.

As others have said, this issue looks great. :clap:
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:14 pm

Hediacrana wrote:Tiny little thing, but I think 'coward' would be better than 'cowards' given that the speaker is talking about 'the captain' earlier on.

As others have said, this issue looks great. :clap:

Changed. And thanks for the compliment. :)
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:37 pm

40th comment. :p

Putting on last call.
Commended by SC #382

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Sacara wrote:surviving members of the ship

This wording sounds odd to me. Should be "surviving members of the ship's crew" or "surviving passengers of the ship."
Last edited by USS Monitor on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:16 pm

USS Monitor wrote:This wording sounds odd to me. Should be "surviving members of the ship's crew" or "surviving passengers of the ship."
Quick fix. :p

Notice anything else?
Commended by SC #382

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:19 pm

Sacara wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:This wording sounds odd to me. Should be "surviving members of the ship's crew" or "surviving passengers of the ship."
Quick fix. :p

Notice anything else?

Nah, I think it's ready to submit whenever you're ready.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Another tiny thing: "Captain" or "captain"? You're using both now.

Still wondering about a more explicit Titanic reference...

Nothing more substantial though, because as said, this one looks quite good to me.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
She/her.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:23 pm

Hediacrana wrote:Another tiny thing: "Captain" or "captain"? You're using both now.

Still wondering about a more explicit Titanic reference...

Nothing more substantial though, because as said, this one looks quite good to me.

Changed all to lowercase. I'll think of on the Titanic reference. Thanks again. :)
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:20 pm

And....

Submitted!
Commended by SC #382

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:26 pm

Sacara wrote:And....

Submitted!

Yay! Good luck!
She/her.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?