NATION

PASSWORD

Regions should have flags

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Regions should have flags

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:58 pm

Why not?

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Regions should have flags

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Come to think of it, this is not a bad idea! Flags for regions!
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:46 pm

Take a look on the big list. Then take a look at who suggested it first.

I think we can say safely say that the odds of this happening aren't that bad. :p

Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcuslandia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:52 pm

The vast majority of flags are taken from actual existing flags. With there having been over 2.5 million nations already created, each with it's own flag, there is undoubtedly _already_ a LOT of duplication. Unless a player can Photoshop his own design -- and I'm inclined to think most can't/are not willing to go to the effort -- there is a high probability that the amount of duplication will skyrocket. Plus all of the entailed arguments of "You stole my/our flag!"

Plus, is the choice of flag going to be strictly a Founder/Delegate decision? Aren't all the other region members allowed input on flag selection?

I anticipate that like the default national flag, the vast majority of regions would all end up using the same default regional flag.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, your life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:35 pm

The vast majority of flags are taken from actual existing flags. With there having been over 2.5 million nations already created, each with it's own flag, there is undoubtedly _already_ a LOT of duplication. Unless a player can Photoshop his own design -- and I'm inclined to think most can't/are not willing to go to the effort -- there is a high probability that the amount of duplication will skyrocket. Plus all of the entailed arguments of "You stole my/our flag!"

Plus, is the choice of flag going to be strictly a Founder/Delegate decision? Aren't all the other region members allowed input on flag selection?

I anticipate that like the default national flag, the vast majority of regions would all end up using the same default regional flag.

A lot of regions already have emblems and flags, and obviously it would have to be optional.

Plus this could create an excellent avenue for raiders, to be honest. Tagging the Regional Emblem as well as the factbook...

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:17 am

That has to be a good idea! The rules should be the same for the flag in terms of file size and appropriateness.

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:41 am

I'd say file size should be a little larger for regions, given that there are fewer of them, and it couldn't really hurt. But the same appropriateness rules should definitely apply.
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:32 pm

Marcuslandia wrote:Plus, is the choice of flag going to be strictly a Founder/Delegate decision? Aren't all the other region members allowed input on flag selection?

Why should flags be any different from the World Factbook Entry? In regions where the Founder and/or Delegate choose to run things democratically, other region members will have a say. :)

In Equilism, we've been trying to invent a regional flag for years... we just haven't found the right design, something snazzy enough to get everybody excited about it. This would definitely increase the incentive to find a good one. :P

00000 A World Power has a fantastic flag, though (see Neasmyrna to take a look at it), and so do many of the other Gameplay regions. I doubt that any well-developed regional community will want to duplicate another community's flag.
Last edited by Naivetry on Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:01 am

By considering the statements by Naivetry I agree that it should be optional as Unibot suggests. I'm a bit concerned about the site's server space, though.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Havensky
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Havensky » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:24 pm

I like this idea - although I admit our region's flag is pretty much well known already. (The Lone Star Flag)
The Skybound Republic of Havensky
(Pronounced Haven-Sky)

Caprecia
Secretary

Founded: Jun 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Caprecia » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:14 am

I like this idea. Put an area next to the regional name where you can place a use created flag. Iv always felt this was needed... atleast to boost regional identity.
Founder of Caprecia

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:35 pm

Sounds good to me!
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

North Wiedna
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wiedna » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:22 pm

Me, being an avid vexillologist, would greatly appreciably this addition.
I am not at all interested in immortality, only in the taste of tea.

Shahinesian States
Envoy

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Shahinesian States » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm also a vexillologist. I think this is a good idea.
The Federation of Shahinesian States--United Under the Savior's Fists.

King Mikhaelas Schaven II, King of the Royal Federation as of September 24, 2009

King Eskender Schaven IV---1933-2009. Rest in Peace.

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:00 pm

I think it'd be cool to have the little region flag next to the delegate name on the Delegate Votes list in the WA... Then I could start recognizing the regions by their flag and not have to click to see which region each delegate is from...
Last edited by Topid on Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Weed

Swazderland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Swazderland » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:06 pm

good idea but how would the region choose the flag (each selects a flag they like and votes) something like that maybe?

Engul
Civil Servant

Founded: May 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Engul » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:05 pm

I like this idea. It would definitely add personality to the region's page.

Imperialist Reich
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperialist Reich » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:02 am

Hmm, yes. I like the idea. If your region was an organisation, then you could have a flag about that organisation. And as what the person above me says: It adds personality. I agree to that!
"Empires of the world have always risen and fallen through war and conquest, it seems that the Empire has risen without war but fall with conquest" - Emperor Sareth Aringarosa

Zimbellomons
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zimbellomons » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:15 pm

Its a wonderful idea and adds another dimension to the overall Awesomenessness of the region.
OOC: Economic Left/Right: 0.25 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.10
IC: Economic Left/Right: -7.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.54

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical