NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED] Ban on Capital Punishment

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:54 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
Bananaistan wrote:
"You wouldn't actually find any straw in a hay field. You'd want the corn field for that. Unless you were actually looking for the literal straw man, in which case I'd direct you to the vegetable fields.

"We'd question the need for the ridiculously long preamble here. And the operative clause could be significantly shortened too."

"Do I look like a farmer to you? Jeez, everybody is a critic..."

"No, you look like an agent of a left-wing hit-squad. We highly encourage you to try farming for a year or two. We hear it tends to increase civic virtue and adherence to republican values, but being the so-called liberal elite ourselves, we hypocritically have no experience therewith."

Iulia paused for a moment. "As for the resolution at hand, we are opposed in the strongest terms possible. While we agree that capital punishment ought not be lightly imposed, it is a necessary component of a just system of punishment and have nothing more to add beyond what others have already said on that topic."
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:53 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Because the punishment is inherently irreversible, and mortal criminal justice is not infallible. And because execution meets none of the components of an effective criminal justice punishment. It is purely retributive, which is a piss-poor theory upon which to run a justice system."

"It is not retributive when it is done to save resources and energy. I don't know about you, ambassador, but Araraukar shares its planet with dozens of other nations, and none of these nations, nor ours, can leave the planet to search for resources elsewhere. Resources thus being limited, individuals who have been shut out of the society already, should not have to be kept alive when all they do is use up resources and cause unnecessary expenditure of time, energy and money. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one, ambassador."

OOC: Sorry for the Spock quote, but I couldn't resist... :lol2:

"Pathos doesn't work on me, ambassador. You'd do well to find a different approach."

"Surely you understand the importance of definitions and examples, ambassador?"

"Separation from the public is a goal of criminal justice."

"Perhaps for separatists. For us the goal is to make sure the criminal cannot and will not break the law again. In the most severe cases this includes ending their life that they themselves have deemed worthless by choosing to throw away their rights of freedom."

OOC: Again, sorry, but this was too punny to not use...

"Society spends money on all of those within it's care, even those who are unsavory."

"Unsavory, I grant you, yes. Unredeemable, no."

"Imprisonment is not the same thing as isolation. This argument is intellectually dishonest."

"We were talking about the kind of inmates that cannot be let to interact with other inmates - or perhaps you consider mob justice a form of criminal justice? This, ambassador, is why I laid out the example earlier."

"If you're going to shove your things into my mouth, you gotta buy me dinner, first. Maybe just a couple drinks I dunno, its not like anybody else is offering these days."

Johan glanced at his wrist watch. "Dinner I can manage - would tonight at eight work for you? But drinks you'll have to get yourself, if you want alcoholic content; with Janis away, the anti-spendthrift committee is watching our expenses like a flock of dragons watching a dying mountain goat's last few breaths."

What does that really change but the words in the law book?

"More straw."

"So you are fine with that filling then? I guess that really solves the issue for the nations still wanting to be able to punish the most egregious offenses with death."

"Found the hay field."

"Watch out for the goats. I've been told they can be quite unwilling to give way."
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:21 pm

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:
"Do I look like a farmer to you? Jeez, everybody is a critic..."

"No, you look like an agent of a left-wing hit-squad.

"This is ironic on so very many levels."

We highly encourage you to try farming for a year or two. We hear it tends to increase civic virtue and adherence to republican values, but being the so-called liberal elite ourselves, we hypocritically have no experience therewith."

Bell coughs. "The C.D.S.P. is a centrist libertarian confederation of semi-autonomous territories, and I grew up on a goat farm. But we didn't buy straw. We bought hay and wood shavings for the barn. The perks of living near a sawmill."

Araraukar wrote:"It is not retributive when it is done to save resources and energy.

"Ah, so you euthanize your braindead and mentally ill, too. To save resources and energy."
I don't know about you, ambassador, but Araraukar shares its planet with dozens of other nations, and none of these nations, nor ours, can leave the planet to search for resources elsewhere. Resources thus being limited, individuals who have been shut out of the society already, should not have to be kept alive when all they do is use up resources and cause unnecessary expenditure of time, energy and money. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one, ambassador."

"Ambassador, if your argument is based on insufficent global resources, you have [i]so many worse problems, and capital punishment is likely a negligible solution. This is just...bad debate."

"Surely you understand the importance of definitions and examples, ambassador?"

"The severity of the crime is irrelevant. I wouldn't execute a jaywalker or a child molester for the same rationale."

"Separation from the public is a goal of criminal justice."

"Perhaps for separatists. For us the goal is to make sure the criminal cannot and will not break the law again. In the most severe cases this includes ending their life that they themselves have deemed worthless by choosing to throw away their rights of freedom."[/quote]

Bell clears his throat, "Preventing criminals from breaking the law, and thus harming society, falls under the classic example of separation from the public. You just made my point for me, ambassador. And I'd be willing to bet none of your criminals woke up the day before their crime and said 'Ya know, I think my life is worthless, so I'll throw away my freedom today.' This is an asinine and ignorant understanding of crime and it's motivations."

"Unsavory, I grant you, yes. Unredeemable, no."

"Incarceration is not solely about redemption. If you understood the classical considerations in criminal justice punishments, you know that the goals of criminal punishment has five recognized purposes: deterrence, incapacitation, rehabilitation, retribution, and restitution. Execution serves only retribution and ignores the others. The classic reply, of course, is that it also serves incapacitation (inability to harm society by being isolated from it), in which I note, as I have before, that incarceration does the same.
"We were talking about the kind of inmates that cannot be let to interact with other inmates - or perhaps you consider mob justice a form of criminal justice? This, ambassador, is why I laid out the example earlier.

"Ah, ok, so you don't have any semblance of order in your prisons? If you want, I can see about sending over some literature on prison management."

Johan glanced at his wrist watch. "Dinner I can manage - would tonight at eight work for you? But drinks you'll have to get yourself, if you want alcoholic content; with Janis away, the anti-spendthrift committee is watching our expenses like a flock of dragons watching a dying mountain goat's last few breaths."

Bell just stares.
"So you are fine with that filling then? I guess that really solves the issue for the nations still wanting to be able to punish the most egregious offenses with death."

"Your underlying premise was flawed, so the propositions that follow are, ipso facto, wrong."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:"And we still ban abortion because it is an act of genocide to people who have caused no harm.

"Lemme stop you right there. If you don't comply with other resolutions, why should any of us bother to consider your input here? Your nation has proved that it is willing to ignore WA law when it is inconvenient, and there is no reason to suspect you won't do so here. So, why should anybody consider your nation's input?"

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
"Lemme stop you right there. If you don't comply with other resolutions, why should any of us bother to consider your input here? Your nation has proved that it is willing to ignore WA law when it is inconvenient, and there is no reason to suspect you won't do so here. So, why should anybody consider your nation's input?"

" We won't allow genocide to happen in our country. You are hypocritical thus for allowing genocide."

"You didn't answer the question. If your nation refuses to abide by the laws of the General Assembly on other matters, you will as easily ignore this law. So, why should the members of the Assembly, who are compliant, consider the opposition of a member who does not? If we accommodate your nation, we cede something and you cede nothing. So, what incentive is there to engage with your delegation?"

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:" We won't allow genocide to happen in our country. You are hypocritical thus for allowing genocide."

"You didn't answer the question. If your nation refuses to abide by the laws of the General Assembly on other matters, you will as easily ignore this law. So, why should the members of the Assembly, who are compliant, consider the opposition of a member who does not? If we accommodate your nation, we cede something and you cede nothing. So, what incentive is there to engage with your delegation?"

"On the contrare, we intend to repeal this legislation as soon as possible. We are only asking for if capital punishment to be banned, then ban abortion which is essentially capital punishment or murder depending on how you look at it, for murdering an unconsenting class of organisms because they don't want a child or can't bear the responsibility. Though we should note, rapists are regularly punished according to deed, sometimes torture, sometimes punishment, sometimes execution, according to what will deter them personally. We should note that this is exclusive to rapists, and treasonists. If this is done then we'll be happy and feel it is acceptable to allow both, based on consistency and not hypocrisy, and attempt to enforce it ourselves, through diplomacy or force."

"You still didn't answer my question, ambassador. Do you need me to use smaller words?"

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:25 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:<snip>

OOC: Dude, what he's getting at IC is that the WA bans several things your ambassador is claiming your country does to its various criminals, and therefore is completely ignoring multiple resolutions. Why would anyone negotiate with such a country? You'd be barred from even speaking at any real organization if the people you represent are that cavalier about following its rules, so in character why would anyone care what you have to say?

(We really could use a guide to effective GA roleplay, I know it...)
Last edited by Sierra Lyricalia on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:33 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
OOC: Dude, what he's getting at IC is that the WA bans several things your ambassador is claiming your country does to its various criminals, and therefore is completely ignoring multiple resolutions. Why would anyone negotiate with such a country? You'd be barred from even speaking at any real organization if the people you represent are that cavalier about following its rules, so in character why would anyone care what you have to say?

(We really could use a guide to effective GA roleplay, I know it...)

OOC: No I know, I am fully aware. Don't worry, ICly I'm just being a prick trying to force the WA to agree to my stuff. But yeah, a rp guide would be great. I'm not taking it really seriously.

OOC: Thats a good way to get ignored on this forum. That approach *never* works.

Eternal Lotharia wrote:"My answer was such. Would you like me to reply in baby words?" The Ambassador replied condescendingly, her associates getting nervous about her aggressiveness visibly, fidgeting slightly.

"No, you didn't. You went on a rant about your personal politics. Why should we consider your input if you won't comply to begin with? If you have nothing to compromise on, why should we compromise with your nation?"
Last edited by Separatist Peoples on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranbowia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ranbowia » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Full support.

The United Orthodox States
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Orthodox States » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:21 pm

United Massachusetts wrote:
(Image)
Ban on Capital Punishment
Category: Human Rights | Strength: Significant | Proposed by: United Massachusetts

Having already presented its rationale in GA 4XX, The General Assembly bans member nations from employing a penalty of death for any crime, excluding war crimes or crimes against humanity.

Standing at 188 characters, I have fit an entire resolution into a tweet. I will be accepting further suggestions, especially those that decrease this abhorrently high character count.

"This resolutuon is absurd!' Shouts Ambassador Justin, while simultaniously slamming his hands on the table, making one of his aids jump with suprise.

"Not only is it a violation of nations' sovernty, it removes one of the most effective deturrents to crime, death! Fully against this law."

OOC: You probably should define crimes against humanity.
Last edited by The United Orthodox States on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:19 pm

UM, just say any crime.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

United Massachusetts
Minister

Founded: Jan 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:27 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:UM, just say any crime.

OK.

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:33 pm

I'll respond to comments later, but this is now at 139 characters--fitting even the old tweet limit :lol2:

The Aligned People
Secretary

Founded: May 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Aligned People » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

The Aligned People vehemently rejects this proposal. It is the right of every nation to choose how they conduct their courts. It is a blatant overreach of power for any nation to try and take and wield power in another nations court system.
The Aligned People
"We cannot be separated in interest or divided in purpose. We stand together until the end."

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:54 pm

The Aligned People wrote:The Aligned People vehemently rejects this proposal. It is the right of every nation to choose how they conduct their courts. It is a blatant overreach of power for any nation to try and take and wield power in another nations court system.

"I suggest you read up on other passed rresolutions if you feel this to be an overreach of power ambassador, this is hardly the most prying thing this Assembly has enacted.

Full support of course, love the brevity."

Jishwas Meme Republic
Civilian

Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

I object

Postby Jishwas Meme Republic » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:23 pm

Yes I understand people have the right to live but what about those who dedicate their lives to make other's lives hell such as serial kills, rapists, pedophiles, those with extreme mental disorders who pose a threat to society etc. I personally don't think capital punishment should be used extremely often but with cases like these I think it's necessary.

Bananaaaaa
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bananaaaaa » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:03 am

Greetings
Even though I agree with your proposal, however, the Death Penalty is imposed in the Principality only for those who had committed grievous crimes, like Child Marriages, Paedophiles, Rape, Serial Murder, and Drug Trafficking. I can not vote for it.

- The Principality
NEWS UPDATE The Principality
Law Writing equals headache, Flag has been changed, might change it in the foreseeable future. Factbook Category History updates

Real Life has been rearing again, so have been on and off again. W.A voting is really on a rare occasion, but endorsements are in full swing

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:21 am

"I ask those in favor of the law, suppose it were to be enacted?" The ambassador from Liberimery asks, calmly cleaning his glasses as he does, "And then the harshest punishment of any nation shall be life without possibility of parole, would it not? As my nation has temporarily suspended the practice under concerns of ethical review we have recently encountered a matter that has not afflicted the other member states so far as I am aware in this debate. Recently one inmate in our prison system, who is serving life without parole, allegedly killed a fellow inmate who was do for release in a few months time. Apparently, it was a gang related matter. Now, thus far the course of justice has not taken place and the matter of the question of this situation is internal to my people and our say in the matter has not concerned this body. But since you wish to tell us what is moral, I pose this question: What justice can there be for the family of the man who's life was stolen from him,if there is no punishment greater than that which he is already sentenced and can only ever serve once. I don't make this plea out of emotion. I will not insult this institution with a plea to humanity or such frivolities as has been requested. I wish to ask the question the opposition dare not ask. How do we punish those we have already said will live their natural lives in our prisons when they continue commit such terrible crimes? As heinous as it is for me to say of the deceased inmate... a criminal... he is still my fellow citizen... my fellow man... and under my government my fellow is entitled to the same justice under the law as a law abiding citizen. How do I uphold that most sacred of pledges?

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:29 am

Liberimery wrote:"I ask those in favor of the law, suppose it were to be enacted?" The ambassador from Liberimery asks, calmly cleaning his glasses as he does, "And then the harshest punishment of any nation shall be life without possibility of parole, would it not? As my nation has temporarily suspended the practice under concerns of ethical review we have recently encountered a matter that has not afflicted the other member states so far as I am aware in this debate. Recently one inmate in our prison system, who is serving life without parole, allegedly killed a fellow inmate who was do for release in a few months time. Apparently, it was a gang related matter. Now, thus far the course of justice has not taken place and the matter of the question of this situation is internal to my people and our say in the matter has not concerned this body. But since you wish to tell us what is moral, I pose this question: What justice can there be for the family of the man who's life was stolen from him,if there is no punishment greater than that which he is already sentenced and can only ever serve once. I don't make this plea out of emotion. I will not insult this institution with a plea to humanity or such frivolities as has been requested. I wish to ask the question the opposition dare not ask. How do we punish those we have already said will live their natural lives in our prisons when they continue commit such terrible crimes? As heinous as it is for me to say of the deceased inmate... a criminal... he is still my fellow citizen... my fellow man... and under my government my fellow is entitled to the same justice under the law as a law abiding citizen. How do I uphold that most sacred of pledges?

"What justice is there in such retribution? What amends does it make? I fail to consider a drawn-out and tiring legal process as providing any sort of closure or justice. Confusing rage with justice is a very dangerous path to walk down; if, indeed, every human is inherently valuable by sheer virtue of their humanity, then nothingcan take away that humanity. Killing those who kill only adds to the cycle of death."
Jishwas Meme Republic wrote:Yes I understand people have the right to live but what about those who dedicate their lives to make other's lives hell such as serial kills, rapists, pedophiles, those with extreme mental disorders who pose a threat to society etc. I personally don't think capital punishment should be used extremely often but with cases like these I think it's necessary.

"If people have the right to live, then why is capital punishment a good idea? Life without parole also prevents such people from continuing to do harm. My question then--why is the death penalty neccesary?"
The Aligned People wrote:The Aligned People vehemently rejects this proposal. It is the right of every nation to choose how they conduct their courts. It is a blatant overreach of power for any nation to try and take and wield power in another nations court system.

"In the name of fundamental human rights, it is not at all an overreach."
Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:OOC: Thats a good way to get ignored on this forum. That approach *never* works.

OOC: I'm being like the USSR or Trump Diplomats basically. Trying to be a bit unique. Though that wasn't my full intention, my apologies, it's more to set this up:

"No, you didn't. You went on a rant about your personal politics. Why should we consider your input if you won't comply to begin with? If you have nothing to compromise on, why should we compromise with your nation?"

"Why should we comply with hypocritical resolutions. We are willing to discuss compromises and even comply, but as it stands, it is unacceptable. We are willing to negotiate for all who have an issue with this and take all of their considerations on the table, and represent them. We will work to a compromise, in fact we declare ourselves committed to finding an agreeable middle ground and forcing all to comply." Her assistants look visibly slightly less worried but still are fidgeting a bit.
"If we can find a ground that all can agree upon, that enforced morality that is not objectionable to both sides, we can preserve national integrity, sovereignty, morality, and keep the organization unified and not divided by partisan politics. We are also open to negotiating proof of our willingness and compliance with this, and that this is not some cheap trick."

"There come times where compromise is undesirable. Compromising fundamental human rights is intolerable. If a right to life exists, as we and any decent human being does, there can be no cooperation on the matter. Rights deserve protecting."

United Massachusetts
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Massachusetts » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:30 am

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:" We won't allow genocide to happen in our country. You are hypocritical thus for allowing genocide."

"On the contrare, we intend to repeal this legislation as soon as possible. We are only asking for if capital punishment to be banned, then ban abortion which is essentially capital punishment or murder depending on how you look at it, for murdering an unconsenting class of organisms because they don't want a child or can't bear the responsibility. Though we should note, rapists are regularly punished according to deed, sometimes torture, sometimes punishment, sometimes execution, according to what will deter them personally. We should note that this is exclusive to rapists, and treasonists. If this is done then we'll be happy and feel it is acceptable to allow both, based on consistency and not hypocrisy, and attempt to enforce it ourselves, through diplomacy or force."

"I support a ban on abortion. It is, however, infeasible. Abortion is murder, but we shan't derail the conversation with such debate."

Liberimery
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberimery » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:50 am

Ambassador, what would you do to a prisoner in that situation? One who has committed such a crime that I describe? I'd prefer to hear how it works in your nation as you seem to have the situation solved, so that I may inform my government on the proper course that this matter should take.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Postby Separatist Peoples » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:58 am

Liberimery wrote:Ambassador, what would you do to a prisoner in that situation? One who has committed such a crime that I describe? I'd prefer to hear how it works in your nation as you seem to have the situation solved, so that I may inform my government on the proper course that this matter should take.

"Most correctional facilities would remove privilages, try the accused, and sentence them. Probably move them to a more secure block. Justice does not require constantly escalating punishments."

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:06 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Justice does not require constantly escalating punishments."

"I disagree, Ambassador." Blackbourne replies. "If punishments don't escalate, there is no disincentive to commit further crimes. The only reason criminals don't usually attempt to break out of Excidian prisons is that if they do, we will just kill them afterwards."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:21 am

Excidium Planetis wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Justice does not require constantly escalating punishments."

"I disagree, Ambassador." Blackbourne replies. "If punishments don't escalate, there is no disincentive to commit further crimes. The only reason criminals don't usually attempt to break out of Excidian prisons is that if they do, we will just kill them afterwards."
"There can be disincentives. if the prison system allows there to be. Loss of priveliges, longer times before release, solitary confinement and removal of visiting time can all function as good alternatives to the death penalty."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Excidium Planetis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Excidium Planetis » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:45 am

Kenmoria wrote:"There can be disincentives. if the prison system allows there to be. Loss of priveliges, longer times before release, solitary confinement and removal of visiting time can all function as good alternatives to the death penalty."

"Firstly, for individuals who have already had all those privileges removed, there are no further disincentives. All prison systems have a limit to the level of punishment an inmate can be given, after which point the only disincentive can be death.

"Secondly, the very presence of such amenities in prisons functions as an incentive to commit crimes. The only way prisons can deter the poor, and therefore most likely to turn to crime, from actually committing crimes is if prisons are worse than the impoverished situations would be criminals live in. When prisons are better than the surrounding society, criminals are not afraid to face the consequences."
Current Ambassador: Adelia Meritt
Ex-Ambassador: Cornelia Schultz, author of GA#355 and GA#368.
#MakeLegislationFunnyAgain
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:You didn't know about Excidium? The greatest space nomads in the NS multiverse with a healthy dose (read: over 9000 percent) of realism?
Saveyou Island wrote:"Warmest welcomes to the Assembly, ambassador. You'll soon learn to hate everyone here."
Imperium Anglorum wrote:Digital Network Defence is pretty meh
Tier 9 nation, according to my index.Made of nomadic fleets.

News: AI wins Dawn Fleet election for High Counselor.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives