NATION

PASSWORD

Star Wars: The Force Shall Free Us All

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Advertisement

Remove ads

If you could have a legacy upon the Star Wars galaxy, how would you want to be remembered?

As the fearless Jedi Knight, first into the fight against evil
4%
As the peacemaking Jedi Master
13%
As the shadow that lurks in the dark, influencing the galaxy with subtlety
11%
As the Sith Master that reveals themselves and dominates all opposition
21%
As the rogue who finds their fortune
2%
As the crime boss who lavishes in luxury
1%
As the bounty hunter that lives long enough to retire
8%
As the veteran soldier who fights for their cause for a lifetime
12%
As the daredevil explorer, placing their lives on the line to map the galaxy and reshape its very structure
12%
Dude, this galaxy's frickin' crazy, just let me be a normal civilian
15%

Total votes : 84

Bearon Uncensored
Envoy

Founded: Feb 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon Uncensored » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Jedi Council wrote:

Posting three videos that are each two hours long is not really an argument.

They debunk your claim within the first 10 minutes. That's 6 hours of legitimate criticisms for the movie. If you disagree with all of them feel free to comb through the videos and address the points they make one by one.

And remember, if you agree with a single point they make in those 6 hours you've admitted that your previous position is no longer valid.
Last edited by Bearon Uncensored on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Bearon Uncensored
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon Uncensored » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:53 pm

Hey, only one comment bad enough that I had to address it. You guys exceeded my expectations. Have a cookie.

( :: )
Last edited by Bearon Uncensored on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Bearon Uncensored wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:
Posting three videos that are each two hours long is not really an argument.

They debunk your claim within the first 10 minutes. That's 6 hours of legitimate criticisms for the movie. If you disagree with them feel free to comb through the videos and address their points.

Again, tossing out six hours of video which, seeing as though I am not a hermit, I do not have time to watch, is not my idea of an argument.

Nor really should you rely on someone else's ideas and critiques. If you want to discuss your issues with TLJ, feel free to offer some up and we can discuss them. But don't act like simply dropping a massive stack of videos and expecting other people to watch them counts as an effective rebuttal to anyone's claims, that is not how debate works.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Bearon Uncensored
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon Uncensored » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Bearon Uncensored wrote:
They debunk your claim within the first 10 minutes. That's 6 hours of legitimate criticisms for the movie. If you disagree with them feel free to comb through the videos and address their points.

Again, tossing out six hours of video which, seeing as though I am not a hermit, I do not have time to watch, is not my idea of an argument.

Nor really should you rely on someone else's ideas and critiques. If you want to discuss your issues with TLJ, feel free to offer some up and we can discuss them. But don't act like simply dropping a massive stack of videos and expecting other people to watch them counts as an effective rebuttal to anyone's claims, that is not how debate works.

Having watched the videos myself, I tend to agree with most of what he has to say. I don't see what the problem is with presenting evidence made by another person to debate a point, but out of interest of actually having a discussion, would you like me to post my own initial thoughts I had upon exiting the theaters?
Last edited by Bearon Uncensored on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Bearon Uncensored wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:Again, tossing out six hours of video which, seeing as though I am not a hermit, I do not have time to watch, is not my idea of an argument.

Having watched the videos myself, I tend to agree with most of what he has to say. I don't see what the problem with presenting evidence made by another person to debate a point is, but out of interest of actually having a discussion, would you like me to post my own initial thoughts I had upon exiting the theaters?

Quite so, I would be interested to hear what you think.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Bearon Uncensored
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon Uncensored » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:20 pm

1. Dialogue with actual substance substituted for oneliners in an attempt to get cheap laughs from the audience.

Seriously, there's a way to be funny without sacrificing substance. Take Luke and Han's conversation about the Falcon:

Luke: What a piece of junk!

Han: She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid.

The exchange is funny but it doesn't feel forced because you can easily imagine a real life scenario like the one the scene portrays where someone is hassling a guy about their old junker and the guy gets defensive about it because they've had it for a lot of years and put a lot of work into. Compare that to Rey's deadpan delivery of lines like:

"I've seen your schedule. You're not busy."

It's not natural. It's a comment made solely to evoke laughter from the audience and it stands out in comparison to the OT's more natural dialogue as a result.

2. Inconsistencies created simply to give the audience fanservice ( Yoda summoning lightning/SJW general destroying a fleet with a hyperdrive jump ).

3. The villains of the story completely neutered as valid threats or characters we can take seriously ( Snoke dressing down Kylo and Hux having "yo mama" jokes told to him and being thrown around by Kylo and Snoke ).

Compare Tarkin in ANH with Hux in TLJ. Tarkin is established as competent and in command with his first scene ending in the destruction of a planet and him being shown to possess authority over even the likes of Vader whereas Hux can't even deal with a single rebel fighter with a fleet of Star Destroyer's at his back.

4. Carrying out character assassination on one of the most beloved characters in the franchise.

The same guy who offered mercy to genocidal maniacs steeped in the Darkside considers killing his nephew who's safety his sister and best friend entrusted him with? That might've flown if they'd released literally any material to indicate such a drastic shift in mindset, as it is it's just jarring.

5. Throwing in useless animal sidekicks that are only there to make you laugh but fail at doing even that. At least the ewok's had a purpose.

6. Wasting the first half of the movie on watching Luke spearfish and aliens play the slots and then having a hundred major events occur one after in the latter half giving the audience little to no time to process what was happening and what these events meant for the story. In other words, god awful pacing.

7. Holdo being made to act like a vindictive/idiotic commander simply to allow for the Canto Bight plot line which ultimately ended up being utterly irrelevant to the plot.

8. Rose forcing Finn to kiss her and keeping him from sacrificing himself at the end of the movie because "he shouldn't fight out of hate" but rather "sacrifice for love" despite Holdo doing EXACTLY what Finn attempted to do 10 minutes earlier. Not only do her feelings for Finn come out of left field but she actively contradicts her former position and would have potentially caused the deaths of thousands simply because what Finn was going to do personally offended her/went against her morales.

9. Legitimately copied dialogue from ESB and RotJ line for line replacing the names of certain characters.
Last edited by Bearon Uncensored on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bearon Uncensored
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon Uncensored » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:21 pm

The above is what I posted on YouTube videos reviewing TLJ pretty much the day after it came out. I obviously have far more critiques of the movie NOW but these were my initial thoughts at the time.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:32 pm

To be honest, I've just chosen to enjoy the new movies. It's pointless to get bitter about the missteps or whatever, because we're not going to get another episode 7 or 8, it is what it is.

But the thing is, that's not limited to the Sequels. There are many things I dislike far more in the Prequels (midichlorians? Killing off Jango early? Wasting a Sith Lord Chistopher Lee? THAT ACTING?) and there are some things I think could have been better in the OT even (bloody Ewoks wrecking the 501st?). But, again, it's pointless to get your panties in a twist over it. We're not going to get rewrites or reshoots. We get what we get, so we might as well focus on the things we enjoy about these movies rather than what could have been.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Bearon Uncensored
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon Uncensored » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Honestly, the only material in new canon I truly enjoy is the stuff about the Empire and how it functions and is structured. I.E. Thrawn, Lost Stars, Catalyst ( the Rogue One prequel ).

Out of those, the Thrawn COMIC is the only work I can say I think is TRULY great.

It's just disappointing tbh. The worst part is when people try to say that the complaints people have aren't valid. That's the thing that truly gets on my nerves. You can like it if you want, but don't try to invalidate the opinions of those who disagree with you. We get enough of that from the people running Star Wars.
Last edited by Bearon Uncensored on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Bearon Uncensored wrote:1. Compare that to Rey's deadpan delivery of lines like:

It's not natural. It's a comment made solely to evoke laughter from the audience and it stands out in comparison to the OT's more natural dialogue as a result.

2. Carrying out character assassination on one of the most beloved characters in the franchise.

The same guy who offered mercy to genocidal maniacs steeped in the Darkside considers killing his nephew who's safety his sister and best friend entrusted him with? That might've flown if they'd released literally any material to indicate such a drastic shift in mindset, as it is it's just jarring.

3. Throwing in useless animal sidekicks that are only there to make you laugh but fail at doing even that. At least the ewok's had a purpose.

Here's the problem that people have with you, Bearon. You're not wrong that there are valid things to criticize in these movies (well, all of them), what's stupid is what you choose to criticize.

1. That's about the least problematic funny line in the movie. I don't even see how it's unnatural, I've seen plenty of people react that way to people who are hesitant to do things, like go out for instance. You might have had a point with the, say, line where Rey tells Luke she's from Jakku and Luke is like "Oh that IS a backwater". That doesn't make sense because Luke is ALSO from a huge backwater sandy planet. That scene could have been a place where Rey and Luke could have connected, both being backwater figures drawn to significance by the Force, but played off for laughs.

2. Also note that Luke, despite claiming to want to redeem Vader, almost kills him and chops off his hand in a dark rage before realizing his mistake and steps back into the light. Likewise, Luke, having a glimpse of the future of what Ben would do, has a momentary reaction of fear and anger before it passes over him and he realizes his mistake and steps back from the dark side. It's really not that bad, and I definitely believe people are blowing that up far more than it deserves.

3. The penguin guys BARELY have any scenes. They're not obtrusive at all, really, they're only in the periphery of Chewbacca's scenes. Ewoks, although apparently having a purpose according to you, take up a huge chunk of the movie and do many absurd things.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Platypus Bureaucracy
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Platypus Bureaucracy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:47 pm

That line about the Falcon is meant to be funny? Either I have no sense of humour, or you are easily amused.
Platypus of the non-venomous, egg-laying variety
Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:I will never stop being a gay platypus.

The Huskar Social Union wrote:You glorifted ducking wanabe sea pheasant

Platapusses are not rel

Ostroeuropa wrote:"Can we just eat SOME of the rich?"

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Bearon Uncensored wrote:Honestly, the only material in new canon I truly enjoy is the stuff about the Empire and how it functions and is structured. I.E. Thrawn, Lost Stars, Catalyst ( the Rogue One prequel ).

Out of those, the Thrawn COMIC is the only work I can say I think is TRULY great.

It's just disappointing tbh. The worst part is when people try to say that the complaints people have aren't valid. That's the thing that truly gets on my nerves. You can like it if you want, but don't try to invalidate the opinions of those who disagree with you. We get enough of that from the people running Star Wars.

Hah, try being part of the ST fandom.

You know nothing.
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Bearon Uncensored
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon Uncensored » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Bearon Uncensored wrote:1. Compare that to Rey's deadpan delivery of lines like:

2. Carrying out character assassination on one of the most beloved characters in the franchise.

3. Throwing in useless animal sidekicks that are only there to make you laugh but fail at doing even that. At least the ewok's had a purpose.

Here's the problem that people have with you, Bearon. You're not wrong that there are valid things to criticize in these movies (well, all of them), what's stupid is what you choose to criticize.

1. That's about the least problematic funny line in the movie. I don't even see how it's unnatural, I've seen plenty of people react that way to people who are hesitant to do things, like go out for instance. You might have had a point with the, say, line where Rey tells Luke she's from Jakku and Luke is like "Oh that IS a backwater". That doesn't make sense because Luke is ALSO from a huge backwater sandy planet. That scene could have been a place where Rey and Luke could have connected, both being backwater figures drawn to significance by the Force, but played off for laughs.

2. Also note that Luke, despite claiming to want to redeem Vader, almost kills him and chops off his hand in a dark rage before realizing his mistake and steps back into the light. Likewise, Luke, having a glimpse of the future of what Ben would do, has a momentary reaction of fear and anger before it passes over him and he realizes his mistake and steps back from the dark side. It's really not that bad, and I definitely believe people are blowing that up far more than it deserves.

3. The penguin guys BARELY have any scenes. They're not obtrusive at all, really, they're only in the periphery of Chewbacca's scenes. Ewoks, although apparently having a purpose according to you, take up a huge chunk of the movie and do many absurd things.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

1. There are more problematic lines, yes. It was an example I chose maybe a day after seeing the movie. As I mentioned to Jedi Council, the post I made was directly copy and pasted from comment I made on a video reviewing the movie pretty much the day after I saw it. I.E. I have numerous other criticisms I find to be far more relevant then the ones that were made in that post, but in an effort to be fair, I was trying to show JC my honest initial impression of the movie. You have no idea how much I'd appreciate it if you and the other users in this thread started actually fully reading the conversations you jump into.

2. Because he was goaded into it. There's a difference between flying off the handle when you're enraged and coldly calculating the murder of an innocent. He was intent on committing the act otherwise he wouldn't have stepped into Ben's tent.

3. They're pointless and are only there to sell toys, again though, it's not my main issue with the movie. Just one of the issues that I listed off the top of my head in a video from a few years ago. Something you'd know if you'd actually read the entire conversation before jumping into it. The ewoks honestly do very few things I find to be "ridiculous" for a primitive culture outside of looking cute and cuddly. And I hope the bit where you were attempting to sound skeptical about whether or not the ewok's had a purpose was some sort of sarcastic humor considering their involvement was what lead to the downfall of the Empire.
Last edited by Bearon Uncensored on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bearon Uncensored
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon Uncensored » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:58 pm

New haven america wrote:
Bearon Uncensored wrote:Honestly, the only material in new canon I truly enjoy is the stuff about the Empire and how it functions and is structured. I.E. Thrawn, Lost Stars, Catalyst ( the Rogue One prequel ).

Hah, try being part of the ST fandom.

You know nothing.

*Shrug*

I like a lot of stuff that's bad. The difference is I KNOW it's bad so I don't try to defend it or go down the throat's of people who don't like it.
Last edited by Bearon Uncensored on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herador
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Herador » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:That line about the Falcon is meant to be funny? Either I have no sense of humour, or you are easily amused.

It's setting up that the Falcon saves them later on in the movie by helping them get away from the Death Star the first time and saving the day at the end.

It wasn't a joke, it was lampshade hanging and not just for the ship but also for Han's character.
Vaguely a pessimist, certainly an absurdist, unironically an antinatalist.

Bearon Uncensored
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon Uncensored » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Platypus Bureaucracy wrote:That line about the Falcon is meant to be funny? Either I have no sense of humour, or you are easily amused.

Given your past comments I'm willing to bet that it's the former, though I never claimed it was meant to be funny. Just that I personally found it to be.
Last edited by Bearon Uncensored on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Are we still hiding behind the BUT THE SJWS horsecrap?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Kramanica
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Vassenor wrote:Are we still hiding behind the BUT THE SJWS horsecrap?

Did Solo not have a feminist robot?
Running out of nation names faster than I can think of them
American National Syndicalist
"B-but gun control works in Australia..."

Bearon Uncensored
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon Uncensored » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:16 pm

That's kinda outta left field.
Last edited by Bearon Uncensored on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Bearon Uncensored wrote:

That's kinda out left field.

When you're referring to Holdo almost exclusively as "SJW General", not really.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The first Galactic Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Anarchy

Postby The first Galactic Republic » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Kramanica wrote:

Did Solo not have a feminist robot?

What makes her a feminist robot? Her voice is female and she cares about something?

I did kind of get a rad fem feel from her, but only in how she voices her concerns. Otherwise she’s complaining about a fictional problem, and droids do have it pretty bad in Star Wars.
Last edited by The first Galactic Republic on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TG me about my avatars for useless trivia.

A very good link right here.

Bearon Uncensored
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon Uncensored » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:24 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Bearon Uncensored wrote:
That's kinda out left field.

When you're referring to Holdo almost exclusively as "SJW General", not really.

Don't think anyone's called her that for a while now. The post with that phrase is a copy/paste of a comment I made a few years back as I've stated numerous times now. Unfortunately, people on this thread don't bother to actually read a conversation fully and discover the context before jumping into it.
Last edited by Bearon Uncensored on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Kramanica
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:36 pm

The first Galactic Republic wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Did Solo not have a feminist robot?

What makes her a feminist robot? Her voice is female and she cares about something?

I did kind of get a rad fem feel from her, but only in how she voices her concerns. Otherwise she’s complaining about a fictional problem, and droids do have it pretty bad in Star Wars.

Otherwise she's complaining

There you go.

She's loud, abrasive, complaines about every-fucking-thing and assumes every man is sexually attracted to her and also bloviates about oppression and how her true calling is to liberate robots who didn't ask to be liberated.

Feminist robot.
Last edited by Kramanica on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Running out of nation names faster than I can think of them
American National Syndicalist
"B-but gun control works in Australia..."

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Salus Maior wrote:To be honest, I've just chosen to enjoy the new movies. It's pointless to get bitter about the missteps or whatever, because we're not going to get another episode 7 or 8, it is what it is.

But the thing is, that's not limited to the Sequels. There are many things I dislike far more in the Prequels (midichlorians? Killing off Jango early? Wasting a Sith Lord Chistopher Lee? THAT ACTING?) and there are some things I think could have been better in the OT even (bloody Ewoks wrecking the 501st?). But, again, it's pointless to get your panties in a twist over it. We're not going to get rewrites or reshoots. We get what we get, so we might as well focus on the things we enjoy about these movies rather than what could have been.

At the time of RoTJ's release, nobody knew those Stormtroopers were 501st. In the context of the film, they're just average soldiers.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Ism
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ism » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:41 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:To be honest, I've just chosen to enjoy the new movies. It's pointless to get bitter about the missteps or whatever, because we're not going to get another episode 7 or 8, it is what it is.

At the time of RoTJ's release, nobody knew those Stormtroopers were 501st. In the context of the film, they're just average soldiers.

Actually, the Emperor does refer to them as a legion of his best troops.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction