NATION

PASSWORD

NS History: You've Got Questions, We've Got Answers!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:41 pm

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Yes; I'm not asking *what* happened (as you noted, that's written), but how it was perceived, and a bit about the context it was happening in. Most of our current members were between 2 and 10 years old when all this was happening, so it's distant history. Were they seen like we see noob startups today? Was there something seen as different about them from early on? When did it begin to become apparent that this was going to be a lasting player? The history we have recorded gives the impression that a lot of the other players in raiding were equally small, fragile, and short lived. Was that so? Where does this fall in relation to DEN? I'm looking to hear from old gameplayers who were there about the things *not* written in our history books, and about their own views/opinions and how they evolved.

I think there are a lot of reasons for it. Ultimately, I can only speculate based on my own research and conversations with people. TBH benefited early on from support and guidance from other major raiders at the time. There were also times when raiding orgs like Blades of Conquest and DEN did become inactive and players from there gravitated towards TBH, which helped the region continue. Having players like RB and Sor who were committed to TBH was huge. Usually organizations that are fairly new cannot not handle adversity and fall apart. They kept the region in tact and refounded once Halc left. In regards to Hac, I get the sense that some players respected his way of thinking and creativity, but several players (like EW) did not like him at all.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Blackbird » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:44 am

Ever-Wandering Souls wrote:Yes; I'm not asking *what* happened (as you noted, that's written), but how it was perceived, and a bit about the context it was happening in. Most of our current members were between 2 and 10 years old when all this was happening, so it's distant history. Were they seen like we see noob startups today? Was there something seen as different about them from early on? When did it begin to become apparent that this was going to be a lasting player? The history we have recorded gives the impression that a lot of the other players in raiding were equally small, fragile, and short lived. Was that so? Where does this fall in relation to DEN? I'm looking to hear from old gameplayers who were there about the things *not* written in our history books, and about their own views/opinions and how they evolved.

I agree with Jakker, but with a caveat.

My recollection of TBH's founding is that it filled two voids, not just the void of DEN's collapse, or other traditional invader groups like Invaders, but also from the decline of the very large defender organizations such as RLA and ADN that were able to field large intelligence operations that had successfully infiltrated small invader organizations like TBH. With the slow acceptance of invaders into feeder regions, which was quite unusual outside of the Pacific pre-2006, the meta-gameplay dynamic had significantly changed.

Of crazed
Envoy

Founded: Mar 13, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Of crazed » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:22 pm

My memory is getting kind of foggy, but if you want my honest attempt of recollection I'll give it a go. At the time, from a DEN perspective, I would say the biggest adjustment is we were adjusting to a post 'Invaders' world. As a region, we were really close with the region Invaders. We had a lot of cross membership and it was honestly a true friendship and a fun rivalry. When the region finally called it quits, I would say it marked a new era for DEN, and maybe for raiding in general.

There were a lot of new raiding organizations popping up, and it was really hard to tell who would make it, who was serious, and who wasn't but the DEN's policy was to work with raider regions until they gave us a reason not to. For awhile, the DEN's guide to raiding were the standard and basically given away.

My initial impressions of TBH was definitely not as a premier raider organization. Halc definitely rubbed me the wrong way right off the bat and I didn't want to work too much with him. For example, very early on in TBH history I remember claims of TBH was going to be the first region with 10,000 nations and just a lot of pie and the sky stuff that made it tough to take seriously.

I am looking on the old DEN forums a little bit, and a post from an experience freelancer, missing dog head posted this in his DEN application on why he left TBH in 2006:

"I left them ages ago. Like in October. Coz, they were throwing responsibilities on me all the time, coz I was one of the few people who bothered my ass with the place. Ad I got sick of Halconés telling us we'd have 200 people in a weeks time all the time."

I did get along well with the Blades of Conquest so I didn't mind working with them, and as the BoC merged into TBH and as Red Back took over that won a lot of my personal good will. I think the relationship grew closer from there. The one thing in raiding, is good results is what your reputation is built on so as the org matured, kept raiding, and built relationships it became one of the big boys until it was top dog.

And to leave you with a fun fact, shout out the CoE's attempt at starting a raiding organization in 2007 called "The Sons of Polyneices".

Of crazed
Envoy

Founded: Mar 13, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Of crazed » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:36 pm

And I would argue when TBH put its own stamp on the game and I am not sure when this change happened, but TBH became the best at update raiding (now just raiding) and really took it to the next level.

And on a personal level, when I came back to raiding for a spell, and really was outdated and rusty on my mechanics, the TBH generals were always incredible gracious, and generous at helping pull together raids. One example was the raid on Catholic in 2012, it was one of my favorites and not possible without TBH support.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:30 pm

Of crazed wrote:And I would argue when TBH put its own stamp on the game and I am not sure when this change happened, but TBH became the best at update raiding (now just raiding) and really took it to the next level.

And on a personal level, when I came back to raiding for a spell, and really was outdated and rusty on my mechanics, the TBH generals were always incredible gracious, and generous at helping pull together raids. One example was the raid on Catholic in 2012, it was one of my favorites and not possible without TBH support.

Ah Catholic was a fun one.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Sargon Reman
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sargon Reman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:29 am

How many Antiquity nation's were created and where could I find a list of them if one exists?
Author of SC Resolution #265, #281...and #288.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:37 am

Sargon Reman wrote:How many Antiquity nation's were created and where could I find a list of them if one exists?

Sort nations by population, a big chunk of them are up at the top there

Sargon Reman
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Sargon Reman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:57 am

Oh, duh :roll:
I can't believe I overlooked that one. Thank you
Author of SC Resolution #265, #281...and #288.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:59 am

Sargon Reman wrote:Oh, duh :roll:
I can't believe I overlooked that one. Thank you

Do note that it won't collect all of them, due to CTEs & refoundings
Last edited by Lord Dominator on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:26 am

Lord Dominator wrote:refoundings

Refoundings shouldn't change the fact that they're Antiquity. That's based on the original birthday, or rather the lack thereof. Refounds get a 'rebirthday', regardless of the presence or absence of a 'birthday'.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:33 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:refoundings

Refoundings shouldn't change the fact that they're Antiquity. That's based on the original birthday, or rather the lack thereof. Refounds get a 'rebirthday', regardless of the presence or absence of a 'birthday'.

They would however, have gained no population during that time, which is what I was referring to in regards to sorting nations by population looking for Antiquity nations.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:06 am

Lord Dominator wrote:They would however, have gained no population during that time, which is what I was referring to in regards to sorting nations by population looking for Antiquity nations.

D'oh. Yup, missed that.

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:15 am

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:They would however, have gained no population during that time, which is what I was referring to in regards to sorting nations by population looking for Antiquity nations.

D'oh. Yup, missed that.

Lol, happens to everyone :p

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:54 pm

You can also use this to get the ones that have forum accounts, regardless of whether they've CTE'd and refounded: memberlist.php
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:11 pm

USS Monitor wrote:You can also use this to get the ones that have forum accounts, regardless of whether they've CTE'd and refounded: memberlist.php

Huh, there's a membergroup called 'Got Issues Blocked' with no members
Granted, I can roughly remember for who, but didn't realize their bans were applied like that

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:12 pm

Lord Dominator wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:You can also use this to get the ones that have forum accounts, regardless of whether they've CTE'd and refounded: memberlist.php

Huh, there's a membergroup called 'Got Issues Blocked' with no members
Granted, I can roughly remember for who, but didn't realize their bans were applied like that

I forgot that "find a member" thing with the list of groups wasn't a mod tool.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Lord Dominator
Powerbroker

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Lord Dominator » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:59 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Lord Dominator wrote:Huh, there's a membergroup called 'Got Issues Blocked' with no members

I forgot that "find a member" thing with the list of groups wasn't a mod tool.

:lol2:

Kawaii Schoolgirl
Attaché

Founded: Oct 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kawaii Schoolgirl » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:21 pm

Nakarisaune wrote:
Bedetopia wrote:
I'm not sure Super Reich I was led by CAIN. I think it was the NPO who just asked them for more troops.

Super Reich I was led by Ruining Nazi Sandcastles, and Femdom Empire was led by TGW.

Sorry for the lateness, but I am very proud to say I was the one to kick that one off. I had been RO'd with border control (as Commander Nonna iirc) by Jadny, I didn't know much or really anything about her or her empire and so I didn't see anything wrong with helping her at the time with helping her password Super Reich I. Reading through the rmb watching the battle unfold though, I knew I wasn't fighting for the right side, but if my memory serves correctly, it was being defended from K-reich's invasion. After a short while, the region was passworded, and I was never un-RO'd. About a few months later, I realized that I could remove the password even if I wasn't in the region, so I did and was sure to let RNS know about it.
Last edited by Kawaii Schoolgirl on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
❚⠀⠀❚ ❚⠀⠀❚

181st Plushy Squadron Commander

All Wild Things
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017

Postby All Wild Things » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Some bedtime reading for the bored: A History of Boston
Browse The NewsStand
Watch the Wild Life

Cosmopolitan borovan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopolitan borovan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:04 am

Good stuff u got primary sources and everything
:clap:

Eglaecia
Diplomat

Founded: May 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eglaecia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:42 am

Why do RMBs only go back 7 years and 187~ days at the longest? (At least thats as far back as I have observed)
Catholique, Intégraliste, Distributiste | Catechism of Pope St. Pius X | Rerum Novarum | On Integralism
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church."
Great British Unionist and Celtic Cultural Revivalist
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be."

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:48 am

Eglaecia wrote:Why do RMBs only go back 7 years and 187~ days at the longest? (At least thats as far back as I have observed)

They used to just keep the latest ten posts, so you might find an occasional rarely-active region with posts from before the change to keeping all posts.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Eglaecia
Diplomat

Founded: May 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eglaecia » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:59 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Eglaecia wrote:Why do RMBs only go back 7 years and 187~ days at the longest? (At least thats as far back as I have observed)

They used to just keep the latest ten posts, so you might find an occasional rarely-active region with posts from before the change to keeping all posts.

ah I see. That explains why most of the early posts I saw looked like they were a conversation.
Catholique, Intégraliste, Distributiste | Catechism of Pope St. Pius X | Rerum Novarum | On Integralism
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church."
Great British Unionist and Celtic Cultural Revivalist
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be."

Kawaii Schoolgirl
Attaché

Founded: Oct 29, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kawaii Schoolgirl » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:42 am

Eglaecia wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:They used to just keep the latest ten posts, so you might find an occasional rarely-active region with posts from before the change to keeping all posts.

ah I see. That explains why most of the early posts I saw looked like they were a conversation.

Yep! And back then it was called the "Civil Headquarters" instead of Regional Message Board.
❚⠀⠀❚ ❚⠀⠀❚

181st Plushy Squadron Commander

Riemstagrad
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Riemstagrad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:43 pm

Kawaii Schoolgirl wrote:Yep! And back then it was called the "Civil Headquarters" instead of Regional Message Board.

Was it?

In my memory we always called it "RMB"...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay