NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED; #1018] - Operation Failed

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:45 am

Aclion wrote:I don't understand the third effect. What does hospitals being cold have to do with AI performing surgery?

Computers run best when it is cold.

But yeah, not the strongest line there.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:12 pm

Changed option three's effect line. Still not sold on it, however.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:No, don't worry about copyright. You know Jennifer Government had Nike as one of the bad guys, right?

On the issue, I have to say, this is probably now the best unsubmitted draft on this forum. Looking very, very good.

When you submit it, would you mind dropping me a telegram so I can nab it before anyone else?

Thank you, CWA! I want to leave it out for a little bit longer to see if I can get more comments on how to improve it, but I will send a telegram once I submit it!
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Sacara wrote:[Option 3] “Why stop at just the hospital doors when there is so much more we can do!” rhetorically asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, leader of the @@CAPITAL@@ High Science Club. “Artificial intelligence has the capability to do so many more things than just perform a surgery. Can you think of how great @@NAME@@ would be if we allowed them to take over more difficult roles? A few jobs are nothing compared to how much better we would be compared to @@REGION@@!"
[Effect] robots are more common than people in the medical industry
1. Make that "humans", not "people". According to nations where AIs have citizenship, robots are people.
2. This is the option for using robots for purposes beyond just hospitals, so why does the effect line still emphasize the medical industry?
3. What roles does this speaker want to use robots for anyway? "Everything"? I think the option is just too vague and drifts away from the main topic.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:55 pm

Trotterdam wrote:1. Make that "humans", not "people". According to nations where AIs have citizenship, robots are people.
2. This is the option for using robots for purposes beyond just hospitals, so why does the effect line still emphasize the medical industry?
3. What roles does this speaker want to use robots for anyway? "Everything"? I think the option is just too vague and drifts away from the main topic.

Fair point indeed. I reworked option three in an attempt to narrow it. I'm wasn't convinced on the effect line, and I still am not. Any suggestions?
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Sacara wrote:"Can you think of how great @@NAME@@ would be if we allowed them to take over more difficult roles in the hospital, outside of preforming the surgery?"
What do you need to do at a hospital that's harder than surgery? I was under the impression that's the most technically-demanding medical activity. There's a reason "brain surgery" is used as a metaphor for anything really difficult, and I'm sure even the easier parts of the body to operate on are only so in a relative sense.

Some things are very emotionally difficult, like figuring out how to gently break to a patient that he has only a few weeks left to live, but that isn't what I would expect an AI to be good at.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:05 pm

Trotterdam wrote:What do you need to do at a hospital that's harder than surgery? I was under the impression that's the most technically-demanding medical activity. There's a reason "brain surgery" is used as a metaphor for anything really difficult, and I'm sure even the easier parts of the body to operate on are only so in a relative sense.

Some things are very emotionally difficult, like figuring out how to gently break to a patient that he has only a few weeks left to live, but that isn't what I would expect an AI to be good at.

Personally, I was going for the nurses/doctors/etc. Even though they're not harder, the whole point of the option is to remove the "people" part from the hospital and just have it be AI robots. I can change it, though, if need be.
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:06 pm

Personally, I like the way this draft has turned out over the past few edits. Without any major feedback in the next few days, I think I'll submit. I would still love to hear what people think, however!
Commended by SC #382

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Putting this one on the [LAST CALL] stage. Please, if you have any input, good or bad, let me know!
Commended by SC #382

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:49 pm

It seems to me that you’ve gotten all the feedback you need. I have no real qualms with this one.

Very good luck to you, Sacara. :D
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Thank you everyone for the support! When I first imagined this draft, it was much different than what it is now. This couldn't be made possible without all the feedback I received! Hopefully this will be my first accepted issue, fingers crossed!
Commended by SC #382

Federative Austrian Realms
Secretary

Founded: Jan 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Federative Austrian Realms » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:18 pm

Hi,

I just received this issue and was wondering if the surname of the doctor isn't a bit untasteful?
I mean, if you search it in Google there is literally no other result on the first few pages than the infamous Nazi doctor who performed deadly human experiments on concentration camp prisoners..

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Federative Austrian Realms wrote:Hi,

I just received this issue and was wondering if the surname of the doctor isn't a bit untasteful?
I mean, if you search it in Google there is literally no other result on the first few pages than the infamous Nazi doctor who performed deadly human experiments on concentration camp prisoners..

Howdy.

I think that's the point of the surname, to reference to Josef Menegele, the infamous Nazi doctor. I don't see a problem?
Commended by SC #382

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm sure that's intentional, using the name to lampoon that this doctor may not be so trustworthy.

That said, they are still very different characters. This issue portrays Thackery Mengele as possibly dangerously incompetent, but still well-intentioned (choosing his option even leads to an increase in your nation's Compassion). There is strong evidence that the real Josef Mengele was motivated purely by sadism and that even he himself did not truly believe his experiments to have any real scientific value. Even the other amoral Nazi scientists were creeped out by him.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:02 pm

Congrats!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:40 am

It's open to amendment if folk find it distasteful.

I personally think its fine, as we're not glorifying the monstrous man, rather we're just laughing at an unfortunate doctor who shares the same name as a mass murderer.

A less controversial alternative might be "Jenny Dahmler" or something.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:16 am

I personally would've named him something else, but I don't care strongly enough to whine about it.

Doesn't help that I don't get the reference with "Jenny Dahmler" at all...

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:34 am

Yeah, fair enough, not great as nothing medical about Jeffrey Dahmler.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:57 am

Yeay you!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?