NATION

PASSWORD

Welcome to @@NAME@@.

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Welcome to @@NAME@@.

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 23, 2018 4:12 am

So, 1000 issues. An appropriate milestone to publish some little project of my own.

Writers and editors like to reveal as little as possible about the nation of @@NAME@@, however at 1000 issues it's fair to say quite a lot has slipped through. Since I am fond of geography, I decided to look into them and pull the strands together. Unsurprisingly this is a long and sometimes contradictory process, not to mention all the NPCs. They will get their own post but first.

Welcome, to @@NAME@@

@@NAME@@ is vast, really vast as a country. This country spans an entire continent from North to the equator (sorry Austalian Republic, the older issues clearly imply northern hemisphere). This is supported by the fact that it has a coast up in north, one cold enough to freeze over in winter. The land area covers everything from scorching deserts, frozen polar icecaps to tropical rainforests. That said, the most commonly refered to biome is forests, which while a loose term as to what type of trees we are exactly talking about, does at the bare minimum imply trees. And a lot of them.

As a continent in and of itself, the country clearly has a coastline, likely miles upon miles of coastline. Going by the dozens upon dozens of issues that reference things at sea. This is further supported by the fact that name has dozens of islands ranging from prospering barrier islands close to the coast to barren rocks in the arctic. For various reasons, I think this is an eastern coast, and quite possibly a densely populated one too.

Densely populated eastern coast you say, how do you know? Because the people of western, northwestern, southern and southwestern name are explicitely and clearly isolated, rural populations. These are people so wildly disconnected that many believe in witchcraft, tribal traditions and don't speak the language of the @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ at all. That's right, @@NAME@@ is very sparsely populated on average, I'm talking US interior or even siberia sparse. By contrast, cities like @@CAPITAL@@ are worried about the effects of overpopulation. Few like living in terrifyingly huge swathes of deadly nature, after all.

So what of the @@DENONYMPLURAL@@? I can't claim to say all that much about them racially or ethnically, but we have bits and pieces. They are an old civilisation with a history stretching back thousands of years. One of the reasons I think they live on the coast is because these interior peoples must have been only relatively recently conquered (last 500 years I would wager) considering the sheer volume of issues discussing minority and tribal rights, including options that condemn the @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ as being imperialist invaders and colonialists. This is further backed by the many references to past martial prowess.

Of course, the @@DENONYMPLURAL@@ are not just warriors. They are farmers, artists, merchants, statesmen, campaigners, intellectuals and everything else under the sun throughout their history. They are a culture who has been in existence for millenia in some form or another, and so there is plenty of space to celebrate all of them.

Ok, and what about @@CAPITAL@@

Ah, yes. I can actually be very precise about this place actually, with it's many references.

The city is huge and is coastal. In fact, I can do one better: it is on the estuary of the river Orilenyo Flow.

We also know that this is a place that probably has a Mediterranean climate. This is due to there being issues about the city being hot and having nice beaches, but none about the city itself being cold- those are reserved for those northern polar regions.

However the key clincher on that one is issue 628. In this issue we discover that the city can and has been directly threatened with forest fire- a phenomenon that actually only happens in a fairly narrow band of climate. Try starting a forest fire in Scotland, Brazil or in the Sahara Desert.

The complete compilation of what the issues tell us about the neighbours, and the evidence lists that back up what I say, are in the pipeline. Stay tuned, and watch this space! ... for after i get off public transport.
Last edited by Chan Island on Sun May 27, 2018 11:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 23, 2018 4:21 am

Just because the north is cold, doesn't mean it's not mountainous. Or Antarctic
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed May 23, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 23, 2018 4:28 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Just because the north is cold, doesn't mean it's not mountainous. Or Antarctic

But unfortunately it does: because the North has a coast too. And a coast cold enough to freeze over every winter, hard enough to stop regular ships from supplying the town's up there. It was that which forced me to conclude arctic. Editing the original post to make it clear.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed May 23, 2018 4:34 am

Don't forget @@CAPITAL@@'s rival city, @@ANIMAL@@ City. :)
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 23, 2018 4:35 am

Chan Island wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Just because the north is cold, doesn't mean it's not mountainous. Or Antarctic

But unfortunately it does: because the North has a coast too. And a coast cold enough to freeze over every winter, hard enough to stop regular ships from supplying the town's up there. It was that which forced me to conclude arctic. Editing the original post to make it clear.

Dam, that issue bit my cause in th ef arse. I was against "north"from the begining
If you're located entietly within Antarctica, ALL the ports are up north
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Wed May 23, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 23, 2018 4:39 am

Australian rePublic wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

Dam, that issue bit my cause in th ef arse. I was against "north"from the begining
If you're located entietly within Antarctica, ALL the ports are up north

I know, I wasn't too happy about it either. (Southern hemisphere would have been more fun :p ) But there we go.

And I highly doubt there are forest fires in Antarctica :lol2:

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Don't forget @@CAPITAL@@'s rival city, @@ANIMAL@@ City. :)

Of course!

It's another eastern coast city, that's about all I can say. There is surprisingly little that describes where this clearly major metropolis is.
Last edited by Chan Island on Wed May 23, 2018 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sun May 27, 2018 4:22 am

Chan Island wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:And I highly doubt there are forest fires in Antarctica :lol2

There probably are in Antarctic Oasis...
;)
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun May 27, 2018 11:33 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

There probably are in Antarctic Oasis...
;)

I'd argue against that... :lol:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sun May 27, 2018 1:39 pm

Chan Island wrote:And I highly doubt there are forest fires in Antarctica :lol2:
There were forests at the south pole as recently as the Eocene.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon May 28, 2018 9:54 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Chan Island wrote:And I highly doubt there are forest fires in Antarctica :lol2:
There were forests at the south pole as recently as the Eocene.

OK, I highly doubt there are forest fires in Antartica nowadays.

Nornavidr
Civil Servant

Founded: May 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Nornavidr » Tue May 29, 2018 3:53 am

Sounds a bit like China, geographically, if we add Mongolia and Siberia. Size, coasts, climate range, population density distribution, location of ethnic minorities, and historical age all seem to match. Beijing also has about the right climate for the description given, but Tianjin seems a better fit for @@CAPITAL@@ if it must be coastal, which also makes the climate a slightly better match. That would make the Orilenyo Flow the Haihe ("sea river". Don't you love how descriptive Chinese names are?).

The only real problem I see is that China is apparently somewhat poor in forests. It does get forest fires quite near Tianjin though. Did I miss anything else?
Last edited by Nornavidr on Tue May 29, 2018 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wine-loving Chimps
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Wine-loving Chimps » Tue May 29, 2018 4:51 am

Nornavidr wrote:Sounds a bit like China, geographically, if we add Mongolia and Siberia. Size, coasts, climate range, population density distribution, location of ethnic minorities, and historical age all seem to match. Beijing also has about the right climate for the description given, but Tianjin seems a better fit for @@CAPITAL@@ if it must be coastal, which also makes the climate a slightly better match. That would make the Orilenyo Flow the Haihe ("sea river". Don't you love how descriptive Chinese names are?).

The only real problem I see is that China is apparently somewhat poor in forests. It does get forest fires quite near Tianjin though. Did I miss anything else?

China did appear as one of the countries in my head that was the closest to @@NAME@@, except when it comes to population, @@NAME@@ actually not the most populated in country @@REGION@@ (that thread is in the pipeline). And funnily enough, Mongolia and Siberia being added did come to mind too. Also, it's quite funny how you didn't mention Korea, because one of the NPC nations might be a bit like a Qatar or Korea in this scenario.

In truth though, the issues do reflect the fact that this is an international group of people writing them. Fjords for example exist in @@NAME@@, which is very specific to a small part of the real world.
"At the point in time when bullets can pass through the interdimensional walls, when firepower takes up the entirety and eternity of space and time, all being stuck in a neverending life and death cycle as bullets recover and destroy their bodies in quick succession, no one able to think about anything but the sheer force of the bullets rapidly flying literally everywhere in the Materium, turning the Warp itself into nothing but a sea of semi-automatic weaponry, then there will be enough Dakka. Or atleast almost." - The Emperor.
Proud user of NS stats. If you are bad at running your country, maybe take a look at yourself and ask yourself why.
Slava Ukraini

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?