NATION

PASSWORD

Storefront Formatting Guide/Templates [WIP/DO NOT POST]

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]
North Caucasian Emirates
Attaché

Founded: Apr 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Storefront Formatting Guide/Templates [WIP/DO NOT POST]

Postby North Caucasian Emirates » Wed May 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Hello—veterans, regulars and newcomers alike to GE&T—and welcome to my guide to formatting storefronts; with added templates of my own creation! I hope that my guide may be of service to you, and that—at the end of the day—you all have fun roleplaying your storefront.

Preface
In direct contrast to the IC political nature of NationStates and International Incidents, Global Economics and Trade is a place to create and roleplay aspects of your nation's economy, in the form of buying and selling goods and services. For the sake of standardisation and convenience, many of us use NationStates Dollars (NSD$) when listing the prices of our goods and services, but you are free to use whatever currency you'd like. Every storefront is unique—with different formatting types (or none whatsoever)—and it often takes some time (in months, if not years) for a personal style to be perfected as one of many "signatures" of a given player's style.

For now, however, the intent of this guide is to provide a starting point—a springboard, so to speak—for players to develop their own style, while still looking absolutely stunning. The formatting provided is usable in a pinch, but it is strongly encouraged that you design, make, innovate, and expand upon them; formatting is extremely versatile, and some formats are able to be used in conjunction with each other for maximum aesthetics.

There has been some debate over whether to write a guide on formatting a storefront, or to not write a guide on formatting a storefront; ultimately, I have opted—with Kyrusia giving the green light—to write a guide on formatting storefronts. This will be done for all the major storefront concepts: military hardware, airlines, banking, food and drink, shipping, hotels and resorts, communications technology and—just for fun—slaves.

Do note, however, that—as a newer player to GE&T—I may have missed a few spots, written completely erroneous content, or have background knowledge whatsoever on a given sub-type of storefronts. If I have done any of that—or you would like to write part of the guide where I am unfamiliar with—you may find me on the Future Tech, Modern Tech, and Roleplay Mentors' Discord Servers as Tchemerzine and Direct Message (DM) me from there; as a general rule, I do not save Telegrams (TGs) for very long after having replied to them, and my inbox may have overflowed if there ever comes a time where there are too many TGs. If you do not have Discord, you are welcome to send me a TG, though. For those who have contributed to part of this guide, their co-authorship will be listed as per crediting protocol.

With all that cleared up and out of the way, it's time to begin the first leg of formatting and customisation. It is assumed that one knows about bolding, italics, underlining, and strikethroughs; for the purpose of this guide to more advanced formatting—and templates—the more complex formatting will be outlined.

Getting Started
You may have noticed—having seen me around here and there—that the paragraphs in my forum posts have smoothed edges, though they may look stretched in places; this is due to typing "justify" after the "=" sign in the "align" formatting tag, and then typing in the space within the opening and closing tags. Also, at times, I use the "blocktext" format around my text—but within the "align=justify" tag, in order to maintain the smoothed edges—in order to indent both sides of the text, as seen in the section above. Thus the below code block...

Code: Select all
[align=justify][Blocktext]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor. Aenean massa. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Donec quam felis, ultricies nec, pellentesque eu, pretium quis, sem. Nulla consequat massa quis enim. Donec pede justo, fringilla vel, aliquet nec, vulputate eget, arcu. In enim justo, rhoncus ut, imperdiet a, venenatis vitae, justo. Nullam dictum felis eu pede mollis pretium. Integer tincidunt. Cras dapibus. Vivamus elementum semper nisi. Aenean vulputate eleifend tellus. Aenean leo ligula, porttitor eu, consequat vitae, eleifend ac, enim.[/Blocktext][/align]

...becomes this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor. Aenean massa. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Donec quam felis, ultricies nec, pellentesque eu, pretium quis, sem. Nulla consequat massa quis enim. Donec pede justo, fringilla vel, aliquet nec, vulputate eget, arcu. In enim justo, rhoncus ut, imperdiet a, venenatis vitae, justo. Nullam dictum felis eu pede mollis pretium. Integer tincidunt. Cras dapibus. Vivamus elementum semper nisi. Aenean vulputate eleifend tellus. Aenean leo ligula, porttitor eu, consequat vitae, eleifend ac, enim.

See? That wasn't so hard, after all. Coding is a matter of enclosing your text in tags, both opening and closing. Now to the next lesson: boxes. You may have seen my own embassy storefront—which out of respect, and because my name's not Evony, I'll refrain from plugging either—with its text-filled boxes, nestled snugly under large, bolded sub-headers. Boxes are very versatile, and serve to add emphasis—just as "blocktext" does—to a larger block of text. You can also "blocktext" a box, but make sure that the "blocktext" tag is on the outside of the "box" tags—unless you prefer it as such—otherwise there will be a box, then large spaces within the box as the margins, then the text. I will show you both of them, and how they look.

First, this is how it looks with the "blocktext" on the outside of the box, and I've added justify alignment, as I am wont to do. This code...

[blocktext][box][align=justify]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor. Aenean massa. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Donec quam felis, ultricies nec, pellentesque eu, pretium quis, sem. Nulla consequat massa quis enim. Donec pede justo, fringilla vel, aliquet nec, vulputate eget, arcu. In enim justo, rhoncus ut, imperdiet a, venenatis vitae, justo. Nullam dictum felis eu pede mollis pretium. Integer tincidunt. Cras dapibus. Vivamus elementum semper nisi. Aenean vulputate eleifend tellus. Aenean leo ligula, porttitor eu, consequat vitae, eleifend ac, enim.[/align][/box][/blocktext]

...becomes this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor. Aenean massa. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Donec quam felis, ultricies nec, pellentesque eu, pretium quis, sem. Nulla consequat massa quis enim. Donec pede justo, fringilla vel, aliquet nec, vulputate eget, arcu. In enim justo, rhoncus ut, imperdiet a, venenatis vitae, justo. Nullam dictum felis eu pede mollis pretium. Integer tincidunt. Cras dapibus. Vivamus elementum semper nisi. Aenean vulputate eleifend tellus. Aenean leo ligula, porttitor eu, consequat vitae, eleifend ac, enim.

Now I will show you what it looks like when the "blocktext" is on the inside of the box. This code...

[box][Blocktext][align=justify]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor. Aenean massa. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Donec quam felis, ultricies nec, pellentesque eu, pretium quis, sem. Nulla consequat massa quis enim. Donec pede justo, fringilla vel, aliquet nec, vulputate eget, arcu. In enim justo, rhoncus ut, imperdiet a, venenatis vitae, justo. Nullam dictum felis eu pede mollis pretium. Integer tincidunt. Cras dapibus. Vivamus elementum semper nisi. Aenean vulputate eleifend tellus. Aenean leo ligula, porttitor eu, consequat vitae, eleifend ac, enim.[/align][/Blocktext][/box]

...becomes this:

You may have been wondering how people have gotten all their ducks spoilers in a neat row. You may have also been wondering why you might have been unable to replicate that with aligning your text and spoilers to the left or the right, while also being stuck with a default alignment and a long row of spoilers running vertically, instead of horizontally. Therein lies the "floatleft" and "floatright" tags, which have the added bonus of you being able to align the spoiler's content however you like—right, left, center*, justify—you name it! To do this, you put as many spoilers as you can fit on one line, and then you put alternating "floatright" and "floatleft" tags around them. This below code format...

*denotes that—for those who use the British spelling of "centre"—the forums only take the American spelling of "center" or else it won't work.

[floatleft][spoiler]Lorem.[/spoiler][/floatleft][floatright][spoiler]Ipsum.[/spoiler][/floatright][floatleft][spoiler]Dolor.[/spoiler][/floatleft][floatright][spoiler]Sit.[/spoiler][/floatright][floatleft][spoiler]Amet.[/spoiler][/floatleft][floatright][spoiler]Consecteteur.[/spoiler][/floatright][floatleft][spoiler]Adipiscing.[/spoiler][/floatleft][floatright][spoiler]Elit.[/spoiler][/floatright]

...becomes this:

Lorem.
Ipsum.
Dolor.
Sit.
Amet.
Consecteteur.
Adipiscing.
Elit.

NOTE: This part of the guide will be put on hold—for the time being—while subsequent sections are worked on; this is in the interest of being time-efficient. I will get back to this section later. Apologies for the inconvenience, folks!
Last edited by North Caucasian Emirates on Thu May 17, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 24 times in total.

North Caucasian Emirates
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby North Caucasian Emirates » Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Military Hardware
Reserved for future expansion.

Airlines

Banking

Food & Drink

Shipping

Hotels & Resorts

Communications Technology

Slaves
Although this is far from a "common"—let alone mainstream—type of storefront, there is at least one of them each year. With varying levels of work put into them—and varying levels of business, condemnation, embargoes, blockades, and even declarations of war done by other nations in the international community—these can be thought of as either a radical innovation, a sign of a nation's primitiveness, or even among the worst of crimes against humanity.

Due to how slavery-related storefronts have turned out in the past—with spam-fests, mass-condemnations that should be remembered as IC only at the end of the day, IC consequences for purchasers or sponsors of slaves such as being denied as customers in other storefronts, and even moderation action being taken on threads themselves that have devolved into becoming virtually unable to be salvaged—considerably more care than is usual with other types of storefronts should be taken when dealing with slavery-related storefronts.

There is also the additional caveat—in OOC terms—of slavery and indentured servitude being pervasive throughout many corners of the real world; thus, anyone hoping to create a successful and long-lasting slavery-related storefront should be cognisant of how other players—behind their nations—may feel, and thus be sensitive on the topic of slavery, even if it is in terms of one's IC nation and its themes.

Due to the fact that slaves—unlike manufactured goods—are living, and thus vary widely in their attributes, it is a good idea to describe the standard slave and their attributes. For example—and no, my nation does not condone slavery, just using this as an example—the "standard" North Caucasian Emirati slave has: brown eyes; black hair; a pale-to-olive complexion; is aged between sixteen (16) and twenty-five (25) years; speaks Russian and Arabic; is literate in Russian and Arabic; between 5' and 6' tall; with shoulder-length hair; and can do manual, unskilled labour. Thus, the standard price for such a slave would be NSD$40,000.

Then there are other factors that either add or reduce the base value of your slaves: each additional native language—Northwest Caucasian, Northeast Caucasian, Ossetian, Turkic, Judeo-Tat, Lezgic, and more; all of which can be Googled for more details than can be outlined—alongside the default Russian and Arabic; each additional foreign language not native to the North Caucasian Emirates such as English, German, French, Swedish, and so on; proficiency in a given musical art form (instrument or singing); proficiency in a given field of skilled labour; longer or shorter hair; blonde, brown, red, or silver hair; blue, black, green, hazel, violet, or grey eyes; complexion; child, adolescent, mature adult, middle-aged, or elderly age groups; fertility, or lack thereof; technological literacy; etiquette training; attractiveness; body shape; the list—which would be the best format to put it in—goes on!

Which brings me to the formatting. With all that in mind, I will provide a blank template for you to plug-n-play into your slavery-related storefront! Below is the coding for the introduction to the storefront:
Last edited by North Caucasian Emirates on Sun May 20, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 13 times in total.

North Caucasian Emirates
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby North Caucasian Emirates » Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Return to Global Economics and Trade