NATION

PASSWORD

All men are created equal

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

All men are created equal

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue May 15, 2018 1:45 pm

John Adams wrote:The Declaration of Independence I always considered as a Theatrical Show. Jefferson ran away with all the stage effect of that; i.e. all the Glory of it.

Are all men created equal? And is consent the basis of society? What are your opinions on these, the two stilts of liberalism (Hobbes claims all men are by nature equal)?

As a conservative, I firmly reject them (Russell Kirk likewise thought the United States Declaration of Independence to contain much gibberish, even if the act of Independence itself was proper and called for; Friedrich von Gentz expressed the same position in The Origins and Principles of the American Revolution, compared with the Origin and Principles of the French Revolution, which was translated by John Quincy Adams) . Taking "All men are created equal" at face value, it is patently absurd. It would mean all men are fungible. No two persons are equal, neither are any two peoples--imagine if every Russian in Russia were replaced by an American: the country would be utterly transformed over night. And does anyone seriously believe that an infantry platoon composed entirely of men would perform the same as one composed entirely of women? No, human beings are not fungible.

Let us then take a more practical approach to this statement: it is paraphrase from the first draft of the Virginian Constitution, by George Mason: "That all men are born equally free and independent, and have certain inherent natural Rights, of which they cannot by any Compact, deprive or divest their Posterity; among which are the Enjoyment of Life and Liberty, with the Means of acquiring and possessing Property, and pursuing and obtaining Happiness and Safety."

Well this first part is obviously wrong of course. Men were not born "equally free" in Virginia at that time. Made it should have read, "Ought to be born equally free and independent". Of course, men obviously "ought" to be born with gumdrop trees and houses made of gingerbread as well.

Suffice it to say, this belief in the equality of man makes no sense. And "natural rights," i.e. rights "endowed by God", obviously don't mean a right to sin. That doesn't mean all forms of sin must be illegal, which would make us all convicts. But to say one has a "right to sin" is of course nonsense, at least within the framework of natural rights. If one throws out the very idea of natural rights, that's another story though.

Anyhow, moving on to the next topic, the idea of society being based on "consent", i.e. "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed". That consent plays a large role in society, and that it always accomplishes better than coercion, of that there can be no doubt. But that society is founded principally on consent, that idea is simply not true. As Orestes Brownson observed in The America Republic, the American Civil War decisively put that liberal misconception of the "social contract" to bed: states which did not want to be a part of the union were simply told they have no choice, and were forced to be a part. Without coercion, collective sufficient taxes would be impossible, as would having a national border. In fact, private property itself would be impossible. And the idea of sovereign borders and private property go hand-in-hand: the very legitimacy of one is the same as the legitimacy of the other. To have one but not the other would be wholly inconsistent.

One other fallacy I would like to note is "abstract nationalism". It's very popular in America, I don't know about elsewhere. This is the idea that a country or a nation is an "idea" or a "dream" rather than a distinct land and people. Imagine if you will a man who lives in Virginia in a town settled by his ancestors in the 17th Century. Imagine this man's greatest treasure is the land, his neighbors and his family. Now imagine this man is a communist. It would be absurd to call him "unamerican", by which standards a Swedish businessman who doesn't even live here is more "American". No, no, no. This very strange perspective leads some people who really don't value their land or neighbors to say they "love their country". They really don't, the land and your neighbors, those are your country--unless of course you are outside your country. This is like someone who claims to "love books" and yet detests reading.

So, again, are all men created equal? And is consent the basis of society? What are your opinions on these?
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

New Bradenia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bradenia » Tue May 15, 2018 1:47 pm

I guess :unsure:

Berhakonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Berhakonia » Tue May 15, 2018 1:49 pm

Why is this even a question?
A Confederation of Clans in Fealty to the Imperial Throne of Gobul
"There are foolish leaders who believe their subjects as lessers to be subjugated, and there are wise leaders who understand that they are their subjects are one in the same."
-Asrau Arslan XIV Jangpavalgan
Brotherhood, Tradition, Charity

Huntpublic
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Huntpublic » Tue May 15, 2018 1:52 pm

You're probably right, I believe all men are created in the eyes of God, so maybe not all men think the same(not equally) and cannot physically be the same. Maybe it is sort of a figure of speech or something like that?
HUNTPUBLIC TIMES: The Huntpublican Military has joined the NATO planned Trident Juncture 2018, it's Amphibious Assault Forces will be working closely with U.S. Marines in a simulated naval invasion of Norway, 
more photos and videos to come!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue May 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Sorry that you hate freedom.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Berhakonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Berhakonia » Tue May 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Sorry that you hate freedom.

Wew lad
"There are foolish leaders who believe their subjects as lessers to be subjugated, and there are wise leaders who understand that they are their subjects are one in the same."

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Tue May 15, 2018 1:55 pm

This quote is used to mean that every human deserves the same rights as others.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue May 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Huntpublic wrote:You're probably right, I believe all men are created in the eyes of God,

I don't know what you mean by that. You mean equally loved? If so, I would agree. If you mean God created John the Baptist and Thomas Jefferson equal, I wouldn't agree.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

New Bradenia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Bradenia » Tue May 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Berhakonia wrote:Why is this even a question?

Because he may have came up with it

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue May 15, 2018 1:57 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:This quote is used to mean that every human deserves the same rights as others.

By this logic every man in America deserves the right to polygamy because men in many Muslim countries have it.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Auze
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Auze » Tue May 15, 2018 1:57 pm

It means that all humans deserve the same rights.
Hello, I'm an Latter-day Saint kid from South Carolina!
In case you're wondering, it's pronounced ['ɑ.ziː].
My political views are best described as "incoherent"

Anyway, how about a game?
[spoiler=Views I guess]RIP LWDT & RWDT. Y'all did not go gentle into that good night.
In general I am a Centrist

I disown most of my previous posts (with a few exceptions)

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue May 15, 2018 1:57 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:This quote is used to mean that every human deserves the same rights as others.

Equity before the law, correct.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue May 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

Equity before the law, correct.

TIL illegal immigrants have the right to vote.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue May 15, 2018 1:59 pm

So is this another exercise in the slippery slope fallacy?
Last edited by Vassenor on Tue May 15, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue May 15, 2018 1:59 pm

Vassenor wrote:So is this another exercise in the slippery slop fallacy?

Not sure what you mean.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Pilarcraft
Senator

Founded: Dec 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Pilarcraft » Tue May 15, 2018 2:00 pm

I'm confused. Is this a blog post? or a rant? or a very long opening without any question to challenge the readers?
That aside, the only part I really agree with you is the fact that "Abstract nationalism" is bullshit.
The Confederal Alliance of Pilarcraft ✺ That world will cease to be
Led by The Triumvirate.
OOC | Military | History |Language | Overview | Parties | Q&A | Factbooks
Proud Civic Persian Nationalist
B.P.D.: Dossier on parallel home-worlds released, will be updated regularly to include more encountered in the Convergence.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

By this logic every man in America deserves the right to polygamy because men in many Muslim countries have it.

I said "rights" not "laws". As in the Bill of Rights, or the U.N. Human rights.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Corneliu Zelea Codreanu
Envoy

Founded: May 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Corneliu Zelea Codreanu » Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Equality is a fallacy.
I'm a Fascist influenced by Corneliu Zelea Codreanu, read For My Legionaries

The first and fiercest punishment ought to fall first on the traitor, second on the enemy. If I had but one bullet and I were faced by both an enemy and a traitor, I would let the traitor have it. -Corneliu Zelea Codreanu

Fascism means first of all defending your nation against the dangers that threaten it. It means the destruction of these dangers and the opening of a free way to life and glory for your nation. -Corneliu Zelea Codreanu

Legionary life is beautiful, not because of riches, partying or the acquisition of luxury, but because of the noble comradeship which binds all Legionaries in a sacred brotherhood of struggle. -Corneliu Zelea Codreanu

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 pm

It's another exercise in "I love tradition and America, except for the bit where I hate it and reject it on the most simple, basic levels imaginable"

A true traditionalist to the core. =^)
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Berhakonia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Berhakonia » Tue May 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:

It's another exercise in "I love tradition and America, except for the bit where I hate it and reject it on the most simple, basic levels imaginable"

A true traditionalist to the core. =^)

Okay strawman

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue May 15, 2018 2:03 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:By this logic every man in America deserves the right to polygamy because men in many Muslim countries have it.

I said "rights" not "laws". As in the Bill of Rights, or the U.N. Human rights.

The Bill of Rights is U.S. Law, I see no reason why it holds in every country. Furthermore it did not grant any rights against state governments until the 14th Amendment.

The U.N. declaration of human rights, which says that the family is the basis of society (the idea that the individual is the basis of society was vetoed as ridiculous)?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue May 15, 2018 2:03 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

Not sure what you mean.

The Parkus Empire wrote:

This would be a pretty good example.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Tue May 15, 2018 2:03 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:I said "rights" not "laws". As in the Bill of Rights, or the U.N. Human rights.

The Bill of Rights is U.S. Law, I see no reason why it holds in every country. Furthermore it did not grant any rights against state governments until the 14th Amendment.

The U.N. declaration of human rights, which says that the family is the basis of society (the idea that the individual is the basis of society was vetoed as ridiculous)?

Yes, those.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Tue May 15, 2018 2:04 pm

Vassenor wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Not sure what you mean.

The Parkus Empire wrote:By this logic every man in America deserves the right to polygamy because men in many Muslim countries have it.

This would be a pretty good example.

It's clearly not true and very laughable.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Tue May 15, 2018 2:04 pm

"All men are created equal" pretty much means that no one should be discriminated against.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General