NATION

PASSWORD

Advent of the New World (1500 CE RP OPEN TO ALL)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Sat May 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Nieblham wrote:
Danceria wrote:I know, but I was trying to figure out the religious/cultural situation of the world, start out as an NPC, become the ultimate colonizer.

Oh my bad then yes it’s fine. You can customize the NPC as much as you like so long it is reasonable

Hence my questions. Now I need to painstakingly count every province to see if I can max out my colonial splurging. Then I need to flip a coin and gauge France/Britain and their expansions.
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sat May 12, 2018 9:10 pm

I'll be postin' tomorrow. Can't wait to get this show on the road.

Nieblham
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nieblham » Sat May 12, 2018 9:22 pm

The V O I D wrote:I'll be postin' tomorrow. Can't wait to get this show on the road.

Long ago, the three nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed when the Weeaboos attacked

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Sun May 13, 2018 5:33 am

And posted.

Granluras
Minister

Founded: Feb 23, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Granluras » Mon May 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Is Muscovy claimed? If not reserve it

Edit: looks like it is. I’ll reserve Lithuania then.
Last edited by Granluras on Mon May 14, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Nieblham
Diplomat

Postby Nieblham » Mon May 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Granluras wrote:Is Muscovy claimed? If not reserve it

Edit: looks like it is. I’ll reserve Lithuania then.

There are no reservations unless you fill out an app.

Granluras
Minister

Postby Granluras » Mon May 14, 2018 2:51 pm

NationStates Name: Granluras
IC Nation Name: Grand Duchy of Poland-Lithuania
Ruler: Grand Duke Sigismund I
Flag:

Government Type: Hereditary semi-federal monarchy
Capital City (must label the IRL counterpart if you have a custom name or provide a map with their locations): Kraków
Other cities: Wilno, Warsaw, Gdánsk, Lwów, Dolny, etc.
Population: 6.5 million
Military: The Royal Legions of Poland-Lithuania are split into two branches, have a total of 736,000 men, and are very organized and strategic, being one of Europe/Central-Eastern Europe’s greatest militaries.
  • Army of Poland-Lithuania: The Army of Poland-Lithuania is a very large one, controlling 60% of the Grand Duchy’s total active servicemen (441,600). The tactics of Poland-Lithuania are unique and not borrowed. They often involve rapid, group-based, destructive movements and sparse but organized formations which ensure maximum damage and minimal losses. This has made the Grand Duchy a well-defended and stable nation in Europe, worthy of dabbling in colonialism.
  • Navy of Poland-Lithuania: The Navy of Poland-Lithuania is quite numerous, with nearly five dozen ships, all which are primarily used for admiralty law and trade route defense, the need for which is provided by Poland-Lithuania’s vast coastlines. A dozen Polish-Lithuanian ships are ships-of-the-line, large, powerful, and renowned; although the relatively calm waters of the Baltic Sea provide little frequent need for these ships.
History (Remember the POD is 500 CE so build history out from there): WIP, can I post this later plox?
Claim:
All of this plus Estonia and Crimea minus whatever is apart of already claimed territory (I know disputed/overlapping territories are allowed but I want to avoid that geopolitical/territorial headache)

Extra info (optional) (culture, language, etc): Idk
Summary of one Rule: New players can rename NPCs
Last edited by Granluras on Mon May 14, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Mon May 14, 2018 2:55 pm

Granluras wrote:
Flag:

Capital City (must label the IRL counterpart if you have a custom name or provide a map with their locations): Kraków
Military: The Royal Legions of Poland-Lithuania are split into two branches, have a total of 736,000 men, and are very organized and strategic, being one of Europe/Central-Eastern Europe’s greatest militaries.
  • Army of Poland-Lithuania: The Army of Poland-Lithuania is a very large one, controlling 60% of the Grand Duchy’s total active servicemen (441,600). The tactics of Poland-Lithuania are unique and not borrowed. They often involve rapid, group-based, destructive movements and sparse but organized formations which ensure maximum damage and minimal losses. This has made the Grand Duchy a well-defended and stable nation in Europe, worthy of dabbling in colonialism.
  • Navy of Poland-Lithuania: The Navy of Poland-Lithuania is quite numerous, with nearly five dozen ships, all which are primarily used for admiralty law and trade route defense, the need for which is provided by Poland-Lithuania’s vast coastlines. A dozen Polish-Lithuanian ships are ships-of-the-line, large, powerful, and renowned; although the relatively calm waters of the Baltic Sea provide little frequent need for these ships.
History (Remember the POD is 500 CE so build history out from there): WIP, can I post this later plox?
Claim:
(Image)
All of this plus Estonia and Crimea minus whatever is apart of already claimed territory (I know disputed/overlapping territories are allowed but I want to avoid that geopolitical/territorial headache)

I think you need to choose from one of these NPCs’s or occupy an open white space.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... PC_Map.png

Nieblham
Diplomat

Postby Nieblham » Mon May 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Cainesland wrote:
Granluras wrote:
Flag:

Claim:
(Image)

I think you need to choose from one of these NPCs’s or occupy an open white space.

While you are correct please leave this to the mods.
But yes Gran must claim either a white space on the map or one of the NPCs (NPCs outside of Europe may be given more claims, including other NPCs outside of Europe, so long as total claims is 50 or less)
Last edited by Nieblham on Mon May 14, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Granluras
Minister

Postby Granluras » Mon May 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Cainesland wrote:
Granluras wrote:
Flag:

History (Remember the POD is 500 CE so build history out from there): The History of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth remained the same until Casimir IV came to power. Born into the Age of Discovery, he sought to see Poland-Lithuania become a colonial empire too. Acquiring money and material through mercantilism, the Commonwealth established a mighty fleet for both defense and exploration. Throughout Casimir’s reign dozens of voyages were made, most of which were successful. A series of economic and political reforms also made Poland-Lithuania a very prosperous place, with unemployment and poverty decreasing during the final years of Casimir’s reign. The political forms increased the centralization of the Commonwealth and amplified the powers of the King.

King Casimir IV died in 1492 and was succeeded by Alexander I. Alexander I was also ambitious like his predecessor, and continued his policies and reforms which set a path for a colonial Poland-Lithuania. After years of policymaking and reformation, Alexander I established a 23-ship strong exploratory fleet which would chart and navigate the waters of the Atlantic that the marginal Baltic and North Seas that Poland-Lithuania bordered connected to. This large fleet would set the path for future Polish-Lithuanian colonization across waters that would be well understood even before they would be transversed.

Due to increasing centralization and monarchization of the Commonwealth, the King became a semi-absolute monarch with seemingly boundless power, and the Commonwealth was rename to the “Grand Duchy”. There was little resistance to this change and Alexander I gladly encase the first Grand Duke of Poland-Lithuania.

In 1499, Alexander I’s reign was cut short due to his abdication, although this was because of medical problems and wasn’t shrouded in scandal. Sigismund I came to power in 1500 and seeks to finally establish the colonial empire that his predecessors dreamed of, for the glory of the Grand Duchy.
Claim:
(Image)

I chose Lithuania, as I already said.
Last edited by Granluras on Wed May 16, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Nieblham
Diplomat

Postby Nieblham » Mon May 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Granluras wrote:
Cainesland wrote:

in that case you shouldn't have used that image but instead just put Lith. as claim

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Mon May 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Granluras wrote:
Cainesland wrote:

Fair enough. I was just mentioning that, as your claim in your app was not matching the borders of the NPC Lithuania, and wasn’t on the map.

Granluras
Minister

Postby Granluras » Mon May 14, 2018 3:20 pm

Cainesland wrote:
Granluras wrote:

Fair enough. I was just mentioning that, as your claim in your app was not matching the borders of the NPC Lithuania, and wasn’t on the map.

Well we are allowed to claim extra territory’s, up to 50 I think.
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Mon May 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Nieblham wrote:I will repeat myself one more time
NPCs IN EUROPE cannot have more claims added to them.

Granluras
Minister

Postby Granluras » Mon May 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Cainesland wrote:
Nieblham wrote:I will repeat myself one more time
NPCs IN EUROPE cannot have more claims added to them.

Well then just give me the land of the Lithuania OOC
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Mon May 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Nieblham wrote:While you are correct please leave this to the mods.

Ok. Can do.

Nieblham
Diplomat

Postby Nieblham » Mon May 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Granluras wrote:
Cainesland wrote:

Can do once you update your app and add a history (you can just copy important events of Lith. From Wikipedia if you want)

Granluras
Minister

Postby Granluras » Tue May 15, 2018 4:03 am

Nieblham wrote:
Granluras wrote:

Can do once you update your app and add a history (you can just copy important events of Lith. From Wikipedia if you want)

I have PARCC today, so I won’t be able to do it for a while. Is that okay?
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Nieblham
Diplomat

Postby Nieblham » Tue May 15, 2018 8:42 am

Granluras wrote:
Nieblham wrote:

I have PARCC today, so I won’t be able to do it for a while. Is that okay?

we are in no rush take your time.

Nieblham
Diplomat

Postby Nieblham » Tue May 15, 2018 3:44 pm

Hey if anyone has any ideas for events the mods would love to hear them!
We have some ideas but just want to get player feedback.

Granluras
Minister

Postby Granluras » Wed May 16, 2018 4:22 am

History is complete and in app
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Nieblham
Diplomat

Postby Nieblham » Wed May 16, 2018 9:07 am

Granluras wrote:
Cainesland wrote:

alright approved. The map will prolly be updated after this weeks claims are done so by Tuesday.

Vahn
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vahn » Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 am

Vahn wrote:
Application
NationStates Name: Vahn
IC Nation Name: The Republic of Genoa
Ruler: Doge Andrea Doria
Flag? Flag!
Government Type: Merchant Republic
Capitol City:
Genoa: Situated along the northern edge of the Ligurian Sea, the city of Genoa is the administrative and economic center of the eponymous Republic of Genoa. Governed by the Doge of Genoa - an elected position with a two year term - the city's craftsmen, merchants, bankers, and explorers are renowned across Europe. The largest bank in Genoa - the Bank of Saint George - is Genoa's chief financial institution, and services both the citizens of Genoa and the Republic itself: Due to the intertwining nature of the bank's ownership with the leaders of the Genoese Republic, it often becomes impossible to determine where the Bank's influence ends and the Republic's begins. The most notable industry in the city of Genoa itself is he Genoese Arsenal: A complex of shipyards and armories owned by the Republic. Based on the Venetian Arsenal, the Genoese Arsenal has surpassed Venice's complex to become one of the largest industrial enterprises in Europe.

Other Notable Cities and Settlements:
Ragusa: Situated on the East coast of the Adriatic Sea, the city of Ragusa (also known by the name Dubrovnik) is known as a center for skilled craftsmen and exotic goods. However, the most notable industry of the former city-state is the saltworks located at the nearby settlement of Ston: Producing nearly 5,000 tons of sea salt every year, the saltworks were - and continue to be - the greatest source of wealth for Ragusa. Following Ragusa's liberation from Venetian control, Ragusa's saltworks continue to bring wealth to the city and the Republic, with this treasured commodity finding markets across the Genoese trade network.

Caffa: Located on the southern edge of the Crimean Peninsula, the city of Caffa serves as the administrative center of Genoa's colonies on the Black Sea. Purchased from the Golden Horde in the late 13th century, the city would become the center of a virtual Genoese monopoly on trade in the Black Sea. During the waning of the Byzantine Empire and the fall of Constantinople itself, the security of Caffa and the Genoese Black Sea colonies was uncertain. However, the deal struck between the Ottoman Empire and the merchants of Genoa would lay these concerns to rest, as Genoa was granted special rights to trade through the Bosporus. With Genoa's monopoly on trade in the Black Sea reconfirmed, Caffa remains one of the greatest ports in the region.

Tana: First founded as a Greek settlement, later refounded by the Venetians and then acquired by Genoa, the settlement of Tana is located on the Don River delta in the Sea of Azov. Often eclipsed among the Black Sea ports by Caffa, Tana served as a link to trade with the Great Horde and later its successor states.

Famagusta: Located on the East coast of Cyprus, the port of Famagusta serves as Genoa's gateway to the Levant, including access to the vast Silk Road trade network. This commercial activity turned Famagusta into a place where merchants and ship owners lead lives luxury. The belief that people's wealth could be measured by the churches they built inspired these merchants to have churches built in varying styles. As such, Famagusta is often known as the "District of Churches". Genoa would come to dominance in the city and the rest of Cyprus during the mid 14th century.

Gibraltar: Acquired during the 13th century, Gibraltar has since served as a base of Genoese shipping and trade in Iberia, given its' proximity to major markets in Seville. Control of Gibraltar has also given Genoa easy access to the port of Tangiers, a vital center of trade situated across the straits. Following Christopher Columbus' expedition and discovery of the New World, many in Genoa have envisioned Gibraltar as a potential stepping stone for the Republic to expand its' trade influence into the New World.

Population: ~300,000
Military:
Built and maintained by Genoa's extensive shipyards, the Genoese merchant marine is one of the principal sources of Genoa's wealth and influence. Though composed mostly of smaller vessels, the Genoese fleet includes a respectable number of larger ships.
10 Carracks: Typically well-armed and well suited to oceanic navigation, yet enormously expensive and cumbersome, the carrack is less favored among merchants who ply the waters of the East Mediterranean. However, among those who trade outside the Mediterranean, the carrack is the vessel of choice. The Republic directly owns a small squadron of these well-armed merchant vessels for Atlantic trade.
90 Galleys: A favorite among Mediterranean sailors, these low-draft vessels excel in navigating the littorals of the Mediterranean, and can easily overwhelm larger vessels when working in numbers: Has been and remains the dominant vessel of Mediterranean fleets. The Republic maintains a fleet of these vessels - armed with cannon and maneuverability - for patrol of trade routes against pirates and other potential menaces to trade. Genoa also maintains a stockpile of completed galley hulls in the Genoese Arsenal, to be outfitted and launched in times of higher shipping demand or wartimes.
~ 12,000 Mercenaries: Lacking the population to sustain a significant standing army, Genoa relies on mercenaries and allies in times of war.

History:
Formed more than five centuries ago as an independent city state, the Republic of Genoa first rose to historical importance with initiation of the First Crusade, as Genoese vessels provided transportation and naval support to the crusaders throughout the conflict. Having been a poor fishing community in the decades prior, Genoa would turn into a center of trade during Christendom's campaigns in the Levant and North Africa, with Genoa building trade alliances with the crusader states and the existent Christian powers in the Levant. The dawn of the 12th century would see Genoa in control of much the trade between Europe and the Eastern Mediterranean, as well as it's dominance in the Western Mediterranean: Genoa would share this dominant position with the Republic of Venice, Genoa's principal rival.

(Image)
Siege of Antoich during the First Crusade

The 13th century would see Genoa further cement dominance in the West Mediterranean with Genoa's key role in helping to defend the islands of Corsica and Sardinia from Islamic invasion. This victory would see the islands of Corsica and Sardinia come under stable Genoese control. The merchant republic would also expand its' power along key trade routes with the purchase of way-stations and settlements in islands in the upper Aegean Sea, the expansion of Genoese power in Cyprus, Genoese conquest (alongside its' Christian allies in Iberia) of Gibraltar, and the conquest of settlements in the Crimea. This expansion further established Genoese control - alongside Venetia - of trade between the Levant and Europe: Furthermore, of the Italian merchant republics, Genoa held uncontested dominance of trade between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean. Genoese trade also expanded throughout the rest of the Mediterranean, with Genoese merchants and bankers maintaining stations along the entire Mediterranean, the great European port of Flanders, and along the North African coast as far as just beyond the mouth of the Mediterranean.

(Image)
Old Genoese fortifications in the Crimea

The late 14th century would see a growth in Genoa's power, following conflicts with its' sister republic, Venice. While two the merchant republics often found themselves allied in the preservation of Italian dominance over trade in the Mediterranean, the sister republics often battled with each other for supremacy on the seas. From the mid 13th century to the late 13th century, open war would break out a number of times, the battles being exclusively naval affairs and each side resorting to piracy in their adversaries waters. This rivalry would come to a conclusive head in the War of Chioggia (1378 - 1381): Initiated by Venetian encroachment on Genoese routes to the Black Sea. Following a series of naval engagements, the Venetians would find their hold of the Adriatic lost. The war would conclude with the Battle of Chioggia, as an invading Genoan force seized the fishing port of Chioggia, located in the Venetian Lagoon itself and threatening Venice on its very doorstep. Failing to retake the Genoese foothold in their home waters after more than a year of siege, the Venetians sued for peace: The following treaty would force the Venetians to relinquish their growing foothold at the Bosporus Straits, surrendering suzerainty of the Republic of Ragusa to the Genoese, surrendering Candia(Crete) to Genoa, and lastly to pay heavy reparations to Genoa. While this wouldn't be the end of Venice, it would firmly establish Genoa's supremacy among the Mediterranean merchant republics.

(Image)
The Battle of Chioggia

The late 14th century and most of the 15th century would see Genoa's position gradually become less stable, as its Christian trade partners in the Levant gradually lost power. While commerce continued without falter, as the invading Ottomans were willing to preserve Genoa's privileged access to the Busporus, the increasingly precarious political position of Genoese trade dominance remains. The end of the 15th century would also witness a discovery that promised to change the course of history: The discovery of the New World. With a native Genoese merchant and explorer - Christopher Columbus - having made the discovery, interest in this new continent was fierce among the merchant families of Genoa. The expansion of Genoese influence from Gibraltar to the important port of Tangiers would give the republic a potential point to expand Genoese into the New World, while Genoa's control of the Aegean Sea provides an opportunity to solidify Genoese power in the Black Sea and beyond. Holding dominance over trade in the Mediterranean and faced with untold opportunities in the New World, the Republic of Genoa stands poised to step into a new era of greatness.

OOC: The above is open to change as others fill out their application and write their history

Claim:
(Image)
Genoese Claims in Full

The Natural Territory of Genoa: Situated along the northern edge of the Ligurian Sea, the city of Genoa is the administrative and economic center of the eponymous Republic of Genoa. Along with much of the northern coast of the Ligurian Sea, the island of Corsica, and the northern half of Sardinia, these territories make up the nucleus of the Genoese republic.

Genoese Aegean Holdings: First established with Genoa's acquisition of ports and way-stations on the islands of Chios and Lesbos from the weak successor states of Byzantium, Genoa's hold on the Aegean would tighten as the remains of the Byzantine Empire crumbled. The Genoese grip on the region would only grow tighter with the defeat of Venice in the Chioggia War, with Genoa taking control of the former Venetian colonies of Candia and Negroponte. Serving as a stopping point for Genoese merchants on their way eastward and as a source of other income, the "Genoese Lake" is a vital part of the Genoese Republic.

Genoese Black Sea Colonies: Officially established when the port of Caffa was acquired from the Mongols in the mid 14th century, the Genoese Black Sea colonies (or, as they are known in Genoa, Gazaria) have expanded since to include the southern coast of the Crimean Peninsula and the territory around the Genoese trading settlement of Tana on the Don River delta. With Caffa as its' administrative capital, the Black Sea colonies serve to connect the trade routes of Central Asia to Genoa's network of trade in the Mediterranean.

Other Territories of the Republic; Gibraltar, Ragusa, and Cyprus: Acquired during the 13th century, Gibraltar has since served as a base of Genoese shipping and trade in Iberia, given its' proximity to major markets in Seville. Control of Gibraltar has also given Genoa easy access to the port of Tangiers, a vital center of trade situated across the straits. The Republic of Ragusa, once an independent merchant republic along the likes of Genoa, Pisa, or Venice, has since come under Venetian and now Genoese influence. While no longer strictly independent, the city of Ragusa/Dubrovnik remains one of the wealthiest Genoese colonies, rich in exotic goods. The island of Cyprus - once a possession of the first Crusaders - now exists as a colony of Genoa: The collapse of the Crusader kingdoms would see Genoa and Venice purchase portions of the island from the would-be Crusaders as their campaigns faltered. Cyprus would come under exclusive Genoese control with Genoa's victory over Venice in the Chioggia War, with Genoa taking control of the Venetian settlements on the island. Cyprus now serves as Genoa's link to the ports of Levant.

Extra info (culture, language, etc): Built on the strength of ships and commerce, the Republic Genoa has a strong maritime tradition and a society dominated by plutocrats. With the Republic's security staked on mercenary armies and strategic forts along trade routes, Genoa is known as a stable and reliable employer of soldiers-for-hire, as well as an employer of fortification engineers. While almost entirely Christian, the people of Genoa are generally more open to outsiders and those of different faiths than most, given Genoa's role as a center of trade and exchange.

OOC: As the name, history, and number of claims implies, Genoa would benefit from the Trade Empire bonus

Summary of one Rule: Those late to the RP must conform to the history set by prior RPing.

I've redone my application

Last tweak to my application before I get my first IC post out: Scaled the navy down by a factor of ten, added a few claims to brush up closer to my 19 province limit, and changed the leader.
Last edited by Vahn on Wed May 16, 2018 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
This is not a signature

Nieblham
Diplomat

Postby Nieblham » Wed May 16, 2018 9:14 am

Vahn wrote:
Vahn wrote:
Application
NationStates Name: Vahn
IC Nation Name: The Republic of Genoa
Ruler: Doge Andrea Doria
Flag? Flag!
Government Type: Merchant Republic
Capitol City:
Genoa: Situated along the northern edge of the Ligurian Sea, the city of Genoa is the administrative and economic center of the eponymous Republic of Genoa. Governed by the Doge of Genoa - an elected position with a two year term - the city's craftsmen, merchants, bankers, and explorers are renowned across Europe. The largest bank in Genoa - the Bank of Saint George - is Genoa's chief financial institution, and services both the citizens of Genoa and the Republic itself: Due to the intertwining nature of the bank's ownership with the leaders of the Genoese Republic, it often becomes impossible to determine where the Bank's influence ends and the Republic's begins. The most notable industry in the city of Genoa itself is he Genoese Arsenal: A complex of shipyards and armories owned by the Republic. Based on the Venetian Arsenal, the Genoese Arsenal has surpassed Venice's complex to become one of the largest industrial enterprises in Europe.

Other Notable Cities and Settlements:
Ragusa: Situated on the East coast of the Adriatic Sea, the city of Ragusa (also known by the name Dubrovnik) is known as a center for skilled craftsmen and exotic goods. However, the most notable industry of the former city-state is the saltworks located at the nearby settlement of Ston: Producing nearly 5,000 tons of sea salt every year, the saltworks were - and continue to be - the greatest source of wealth for Ragusa. Following Ragusa's liberation from Venetian control, Ragusa's saltworks continue to bring wealth to the city and the Republic, with this treasured commodity finding markets across the Genoese trade network.

Caffa: Located on the southern edge of the Crimean Peninsula, the city of Caffa serves as the administrative center of Genoa's colonies on the Black Sea. Purchased from the Golden Horde in the late 13th century, the city would become the center of a virtual Genoese monopoly on trade in the Black Sea. During the waning of the Byzantine Empire and the fall of Constantinople itself, the security of Caffa and the Genoese Black Sea colonies was uncertain. However, the deal struck between the Ottoman Empire and the merchants of Genoa would lay these concerns to rest, as Genoa was granted special rights to trade through the Bosporus. With Genoa's monopoly on trade in the Black Sea reconfirmed, Caffa remains one of the greatest ports in the region.

Tana: First founded as a Greek settlement, later refounded by the Venetians and then acquired by Genoa, the settlement of Tana is located on the Don River delta in the Sea of Azov. Often eclipsed among the Black Sea ports by Caffa, Tana served as a link to trade with the Great Horde and later its successor states.

Famagusta: Located on the East coast of Cyprus, the port of Famagusta serves as Genoa's gateway to the Levant, including access to the vast Silk Road trade network. This commercial activity turned Famagusta into a place where merchants and ship owners lead lives luxury. The belief that people's wealth could be measured by the churches they built inspired these merchants to have churches built in varying styles. As such, Famagusta is often known as the "District of Churches". Genoa would come to dominance in the city and the rest of Cyprus during the mid 14th century.

Gibraltar: Acquired during the 13th century, Gibraltar has since served as a base of Genoese shipping and trade in Iberia, given its' proximity to major markets in Seville. Control of Gibraltar has also given Genoa easy access to the port of Tangiers, a vital center of trade situated across the straits. Following Christopher Columbus' expedition and discovery of the New World, many in Genoa have envisioned Gibraltar as a potential stepping stone for the Republic to expand its' trade influence into the New World.

Population: ~300,000
Military:
~ 3,500 Merchant Vessels / Warships: Built and maintained by Genoa's extensive shipyards, the Genoese merchant marine is one of the principal sources of Genoa's wealth and influence. Though composed mostly of smaller vessels, the Genoese fleet includes a respectable number of larger ships.
10 Carracks: Typically well-armed and well suited to oceanic navigation, yet enormously expensive and cumbersome, the carrack is less favored among merchants who ply the waters of the East Mediterranean. However, among those who trade outside the Mediterranean, the carrack is the vessel of choice. The Republic directly owns a small squadron of these well-armed merchant vessels for Atlantic trade.
90 Galleys: A favorite among Mediterranean sailors, these low-draft vessels excel in navigating the littorals of the Mediterranean, and can easily overwhelm larger vessels when working in numbers: Has been and remains the dominant vessel of Mediterranean fleets. The Republic maintains a fleet of these vessels - armed with cannon and maneuverability - for patrol of trade routes against pirates and other potential menaces to trade.
~ 12,000 Mercenaries: Lacking the population to sustain a significant standing army, Genoa relies on mercenaries and allies in times of war.

History:
Formed more than five centuries ago as an independent city state, the Republic of Genoa first rose to historical importance with initiation of the First Crusade, as Genoese vessels provided transportation and naval support to the crusaders throughout the conflict. Having been a poor fishing community in the decades prior, Genoa would turn into a center of trade during Christendom's campaigns in the Levant and North Africa, with Genoa building trade alliances with the crusader states and the existent Christian powers in the Levant. The dawn of the 12th century would see Genoa in control of much the trade between Europe and the Eastern Mediterranean, as well as it's dominance in the Western Mediterranean: Genoa would share this dominant position with the Republic of Venice, Genoa's principal rival.

(Image)
Siege of Antoich during the First Crusade

The 13th century would see Genoa further cement dominance in the West Mediterranean with Genoa's key role in helping to defend the islands of Corsica and Sardinia from Islamic invasion. This victory would see the islands of Corsica and Sardinia come under stable Genoese control. The merchant republic would also expand its' power along key trade routes with the purchase of way-stations and settlements in islands in the upper Aegean Sea, the expansion of Genoese power in Cyprus, Genoese conquest (alongside its' Christian allies in Iberia) of Gibraltar, and the conquest of settlements in the Crimea. This expansion further established Genoese control - alongside Venetia - of trade between the Levant and Europe: Furthermore, of the Italian merchant republics, Genoa held uncontested dominance of trade between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean. Genoese trade also expanded throughout the rest of the Mediterranean, with Genoese merchants and bankers maintaining stations along the entire Mediterranean, the great European port of Flanders, and along the North African coast as far as just beyond the mouth of the Mediterranean.

(Image)
Old Genoese fortifications in the Crimea

The late 14th century would see a growth in Genoa's power, following conflicts with its' sister republic, Venice. While two the merchant republics often found themselves allied in the preservation of Italian dominance over trade in the Mediterranean, the sister republics often battled with each other for supremacy on the seas. From the mid 13th century to the late 13th century, open war would break out a number of times, the battles being exclusively naval affairs and each side resorting to piracy in their adversaries waters. This rivalry would come to a conclusive head in the War of Chioggia (1378 - 1381): Initiated by Venetian encroachment on Genoese routes to the Black Sea. Following a series of naval engagements, the Venetians would find their hold of the Adriatic lost. The war would conclude with the Battle of Chioggia, as an invading Genoan force seized the fishing port of Chioggia, located in the Venetian Lagoon itself and threatening Venice on its very doorstep. Failing to retake the Genoese foothold in their home waters after more than a year of siege, the Venetians sued for peace: The following treaty would force the Venetians to relinquish their growing foothold at the Bosporus Straits, surrendering suzerainty of the Republic of Ragusa to the Genoese, surrendering Candia(Crete) to Genoa, and lastly to pay heavy reparations to Genoa. While this wouldn't be the end of Venice, it would firmly establish Genoa's supremacy among the Mediterranean merchant republics.

(Image)
The Battle of Chioggia

The late 14th century and most of the 15th century would see Genoa's position gradually become less stable, as its Christian trade partners in the Levant gradually lost power. While commerce continued without falter, as the invading Ottomans were willing to preserve Genoa's privileged access to the Busporus, the increasingly precarious political position of Genoese trade dominance remains. The end of the 15th century would also witness a discovery that promised to change the course of history: The discovery of the New World. With a native Genoese merchant and explorer - Christopher Columbus - having made the discovery, interest in this new continent was fierce among the merchant families of Genoa. The expansion of Genoese influence from Gibraltar to the important port of Tangiers would give the republic a potential point to expand Genoese into the New World, while Genoa's control of the Aegean Sea provides an opportunity to solidify Genoese power in the Black Sea and beyond. Holding dominance over trade in the Mediterranean and faced with untold opportunities in the New World, the Republic of Genoa stands poised to step into a new era of greatness.

OOC: The above is open to change as others fill out their application and write their history

Claim:
(Image)
Genoese Claims in Full

The Natural Territory of Genoa: Situated along the northern edge of the Ligurian Sea, the city of Genoa is the administrative and economic center of the eponymous Republic of Genoa. Along with much of the northern coast of the Ligurian Sea, the island of Corsica, and the northern half of Sardinia, these territories make up the nucleus of the Genoese republic.

Genoese Aegean Holdings: First established with Genoa's acquisition of ports and way-stations on the islands of Chios and Lesbos from the weak successor states of Byzantium, Genoa's hold on the Aegean would tighten as the remains of the Byzantine Empire crumbled. The Genoese grip on the region would only grow tighter with the defeat of Venice in the Chioggia War, with Genoa taking control of the former Venetian colonies of Candia and Negroponte. Serving as a stopping point for Genoese merchants on their way eastward and as a source of other income, the "Genoese Lake" is a vital part of the Genoese Republic.

Genoese Black Sea Colonies: Officially established when the port of Caffa was acquired from the Mongols in the mid 14th century, the Genoese Black Sea colonies (or, as they are known in Genoa, Gazaria) have expanded since to include the southern coast of the Crimean Peninsula and the territory around the Genoese trading settlement of Tana on the Don River delta. With Caffa as its' administrative capital, the Black Sea colonies serve to connect the trade routes of Central Asia to Genoa's network of trade in the Mediterranean.

Other Territories of the Republic; Gibraltar, Ragusa, and Cyprus: Acquired during the 13th century, Gibraltar has since served as a base of Genoese shipping and trade in Iberia, given its' proximity to major markets in Seville. Control of Gibraltar has also given Genoa easy access to the port of Tangiers, a vital center of trade situated across the straits. The Republic of Ragusa, once an independent merchant republic along the likes of Genoa, Pisa, or Venice, has since come under Venetian and now Genoese influence. While no longer strictly independent, the city of Ragusa/Dubrovnik remains one of the wealthiest Genoese colonies, rich in exotic goods. The island of Cyprus - once a possession of the first Crusaders - now exists as a colony of Genoa: The collapse of the Crusader kingdoms would see Genoa and Venice purchase portions of the island from the would-be Crusaders as their campaigns faltered. Cyprus would come under exclusive Genoese control with Genoa's victory over Venice in the Chioggia War, with Genoa taking control of the Venetian settlements on the island. Cyprus now serves as Genoa's link to the ports of Levant.

Extra info (culture, language, etc): Built on the strength of ships and commerce, the Republic Genoa has a strong maritime tradition and a society dominated by plutocrats. With the Republic's security staked on mercenary armies and strategic forts along trade routes, Genoa is known as a stable and reliable employer of soldiers-for-hire, as well as an employer of fortification engineers. While almost entirely Christian, the people of Genoa are generally more open to outsiders and those of different faiths than most, given Genoa's role as a center of trade and exchange.

OOC: As the name, history, and number of claims implies, Genoa would benefit from the Trade Empire bonus

Summary of one Rule: Those late to the RP must conform to the history set by prior RPing.

I've redone my application

Last tweak to my application before I get my first IC post out: Scaled the navy down by a factor of ten, added a few claims to brush up closer to my 19 province limit, and changed the leader.

【ツ】

Vahn
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vahn » Wed May 16, 2018 9:24 am

Nieblham wrote:
Vahn wrote:Last tweak to my application before I get my first IC post out: Scaled the navy down by a factor of ten, added a few claims to brush up closer to my 19 province limit, and changed the leader.

【ツ】

The additional claims amount to a grand total of two provinces, and I do so at Cassinopa's verbal approval: He said he'd put it in the map.

Edit: Also forgot to take out the now incorrect total ship count, just fixed that now.
Last edited by Vahn on Wed May 16, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not a signature

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse