NATION

PASSWORD

The Precedent of the United States: 2052 Election RP [IC]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Vienna Eliot
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 16, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The Precedent of the United States: 2052 Election RP [IC]

Postby Vienna Eliot » Fri May 11, 2018 11:58 pm

United States presidential election, 2052

United States presidential election, 2052
2048Image2056

538 members of the Electoral College
270 electoral votes needed to win

The electoral map for the 2052 election,
based on populations from the 2050 census

The United States presidential election of 2052, scheduled for Tuesday, November 5, 2016, will be the 67th quadrennial U.S. presidential election. Voters will select presidential electors who in turn will elect a new president and vice president through the Electoral College. The term limit established in the Twenty-second Amendment to the United States Constitution prevents the incumbent, President Richard Fischer, from running for a third term.

The series of presidential primary elections and caucuses are scheduled to take place between February and June 2052. This nominating process is also an indirect election, where voters cast ballots for a slate of delegates to a political party's nominating convention, who then in turn elect their party's presidential nominee. The first caucus will take place in Iowa on Thursday, February 1, 2052.

Last edited by Vienna Eliot on Sat May 12, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vienna Eliot
Diplomat

Postby Vienna Eliot » Fri May 11, 2018 11:59 pm

The doors to the House of Representatives swung open, and the Sergeant-at-Arms paraded in.

"Madam Speaker — the President of the United States!"

"And I will tell you this. We may not always agree with one another. Hell, I find myself disagreeing with the Speaker about as often as I disagree with the First Lady. But it is in this House — the House of the people — where we learn to disagree without being disagreeable. We will always find compromise, as long as we simply remember those values that must never be compromised. I trust in this Congress to take those necessary steps."

They weren't booing — no, it wasn't as bad as it had been earlier — but they were shaking their heads. And then it happened. First one Republican got up. Then another. And then a Democrat stood up as well, and they all headed for the door. One after another, it seemed like the President was going to conclude by speaking to an empty chamber.

"And for that reason, I am here to tell you, the state of the Union is strong! My fellow Americans, I— well, God bless you. And God bless the United States of America."

"How do you think it went, Jessman?"
"Excellently, Mr. President."
"Charles?"
"There were some places it could have been... better."
"Good."

The President looked down, then, slowly, stood up from behind his desk and began to pace gently around the Oval Office.

"Good. Hm. So we have a nice variety of opinions, here," said the President. You know, Charles, Jessman was there in person. He quite liked it. Right, Jessman?"
"Quite right, Sir."
"But you saw it on television. Can you tell me what seemed different about it, from the other ones, to you?"

Charles Kennedy was from, though perhaps nowadays it doesn't exist in quite the same way, high society. Real high society, of course, not that upper middle class dribble of the occasional dinner party that passes for it today. Those suburbanites had no manners, unlike Mr. Kennedy, a gentleman who knew etiquette like it was bred into him — and it was, really. Were he born into royalty he would have been indistinguishable from this. He was impeccably dressed. He chose his words carefully but swiftly. He was never short of a kind word.

He hated it. He wanted to say, Mr. President, it was utter fucking shit.

Instead, he said, "I might fear, Mr. President, that — of course, most Americans watch from home — that there may be some... discontent, if that makes sense? Or, that is, the spectacles and the charades of members opposite were perhaps a little... emphasized by the cameras."

"Hm," grunted the President. He slowly circled the room, looking down with his lower lip pouted, then back behind his desk. He inhaled, looking out the windows at the Rose Garden. "Hm!" he went again.

"Are you an ant or a grasshopper, Mr. Kennedy?"
"Apologies, Sir?"
"A grasshopper, Charles, write it down! A grasshopper's twenty times as big as an ant! Things can jump thirty feet! Raise a racket with their little banjos! Don't tell me an ant can do that. Flock of hoppers can strip a field bare in thirty seconds. Leave nothing but dirt. Seen it happen. Eat your hat. Chew the hair right off your head. Chirp you to deafness in the process. Ants? Pshaw."
"Mr. President, I—"
"I'm a grasshopper, Charles, plain and simple. Now our friends to the right of the Speaker might not like that, but they ought appreciate that I believe what I believe and I don't back down from it. That's what this White House is built on. Cold, hard sweat. We don't back down round here. You two are dismissed."

They left. The President paced around the Office, licking his lips, stuck in thought. Then he stopped in the middle of the room, and slowly sat himself down on one of the couches.

"An ant or a grasshopper... I need to write that one down..."

Last edited by Vienna Eliot on Sat May 12, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helowi
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sat May 12, 2018 6:55 am

Gareth B. Wright Speech after walking out of Congress. Broadcast in all states by CNN, MSNBC, C-SPAN & Fox News
“Good evening, people of America. Today, I was in Congress watch President Fischer’s SOTU. And while I do not completely disagree with his administration, I do believe that this speech was one of the worst State of the Unions I have ever heard. Fischer’s Administration has several weak spots, he failed to help the economy become more globalized in a time when needed, he failed to in some way replace Obamacare. So today, I have decided that I have had enough. So today I will start to campaign for POTUS. Later today, I will release an ad and go to a campaign rally in Cedar Rapids. Thank you everybody, and have an amazing rest of the day.
[Wright then goes down to greet the press, other members of Congress, and his family.]
Last edited by Helowi on Sat May 12, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95
ISideWith 2020 Election Results
https://www.isidewith.com/profile/34439 ... esidential

Urantia
Secretary

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Urantia » Sat May 12, 2018 9:27 am

Lisa-Marie Paige marched into Trump Tower in an exaggerated manner - not just because it was cold but mostly because she wanted to find her best friend.

As she entered the empty and cavernous lobby of the presidential library for Donald J. Trump she shuddered. This time it certainly wasn't from the cold. The lobby was hallow, totally absent activity, human or otherwise. She noticed an empty stool by the gilded elevator doors, now familiar fixtures in the American political memory. She wandered to the kiosk which usually housed an agent of the Secret Service. Cautiously she approaced the empty station - almost tip toeing as if she anticipated finding a poisonous snake inside. But there was no thing and no one inside. This worried Lisa-Marie.

She glanced up, almost to pray, when she caught the echoes of a din high up stairs, beyond the Starbucks and escalator then-candidate Trump infamously descended on that hot day back in July 2015 to announce his candidacy. 2015. She wasn't even born yet! Yet here she stood in the middle of quite the historical setting. Then out of the corner she notices flashing purple, pink and blue lights reflecting in the mirrored windows of a gift shop.

James Dykstra had yet to be born in 2015 either. He was born on December 10th 2018. Making him just 38 years old on that bitter January winter night in 2052 - the night of Pres. Fisher's final and disastrous State of the Union. As Lisa-Marie rushed into the small bar labelled simply "The Grille" she struggled to catch her breath after having run up inoperative escalators to the final mezzinine level of the lobby in Trump Tower. The scene she discovered was both mundane and drab, to her at least. She was familiar with this episode with it having occurred dozens of times over the last decade or so.

James Dykstra was strewn across a corner booth in typical fashion. His head was thrown back and his face wore a grimace. His blazer was on the floor while his oxford shirt was unbuttoned and asunder. His bow tie draped across his neck. The belt he had been wearing was gone now and his khakis were buttoned but not zipped up. Lisa-Marie noticed a highball was resting a top an old paper back copy of "The Art of the Deal".

There was a robot behind the bar staring off into space as it methodically sliced fruit for garnish.

She shouted "Music? mute!" and the vapor wave version of the old classic "Pumped Up Kicks" ceased blaring. "Lights? On! Now!" She lashed out a command in the direction of the robitic bar keep.

The lights returned to a normal, albeit after hours dim, setting.

It was only then she discovered the hulking Secret Service agent, high and tight buzzed hair cut revealed fully, slumped over the far end of the bar. His snoring was now the only noise in the room.

She walked over to James and stood over him for a moment thinking "not again"...to herself quietly. It was then that a crash resembling the clang of pots and pans came from the kitchen beyond the bar.

A tall boyish security guard stumbled through the back of the house swinging door. He was nervously tucking his starched uniform shirt in. His eyes unexpectedly met those of Lisa-Marie and he cleared his throat to say "Ma'am". He nodded and made great haste to exit the bar.

"Hey! Are you even old enough to...?"

Drink. She finished her sentence under her breath. "Drink?" She mumbled to her self once more.

Her gaze returned to James who was now holding his head - still cocked back. She let out a sigh. One of mixed consternation and relief.

The Secret Service continued snoring very loudly as she let "Scoot over Jim- " escape from her mouth and she slid into the booth with James.

James blerted out "Fun fact: there are only 3 humans who are allowed to call me that." James hated nick names and especially variations of his own. "One is actually dead. The other is dead to me. So that leaves but one singular question -" James had began to slur the end of his sentences. Gin did that to him. "How did you find me?"

She replied "When you weren't in the ballroom of the Plaza I had to take a wild guess where you would be. I knew you couldn't resist the history of a place like this. You should see the look on Suri Cruise's face, and she is even less cogent then usual."

They both let out a laugh. Hers was natural and came from the belly. His was manic but not forced.

"It's nice to see you smile, Jim." It had been a while since she had seen the veteran political operative smile.

Lisa-Marie's reference to the daughter of infamous actor and Scientologist Tom Cruise was regarding Suri's insurgent run for mayor of NYC. In a divided field she had pulled of a win with barely 32% of the vote. Chelsea Clinton had resigned from the office of mayor abruptly when she had her second miscarriage, this time the pain of all the media attention was too much to endure. There had been a special election called. It fell on that winter Tuesday night.

James had been brought on first as a consultant but he quickly charmed his way to the top of Suri's disorganized campaign. Being a Florida native and with a prep school pedigree to boot he quickly won the trust of the Scientologist's family and inner circle. Navigating social circles like that had become his specialty since he had met Lisa-Marie at Rollins College.

"What did you do to that Federal law enforcement officer?" She quipped about the snoozing Secret Service agent.

"Hey! I was a gentleman. I offered for him to join me in my little celebration. As it turns out, he likes to work hard and play hard too."

Panic struck her face.

"You didn't."

"I did." He responded.

Her look turned to a scowl and she shook her head in disappointment.

Defensively, James started to stammer "GHB is harmless and will not show up on his next random drug screen, don't worry kiddo. Plus by the looks of it our burly friend needed the nap."

"Are you aware of how many crimes you've committed tonight alone?"

James shook his head and slowly a cheshire cat-like smile emerged from his face.

"Speaking of being a gentleman - did you treat that night watchman like a true gentleman too?"

"His Connecticut state issued driver's license says he will be 20 next month..."

Her head slowly sank down and she began massaging her temples. Several seconds went by before she glanced at the muted TV. Flashes of President Fisher flickered across the screen as he indignantly waived a finger in the air from the lectern on Capitol Hill. The ticker below him proclaimed Suri Cruise as the city's next mayor-elect. She thought to herself that of course the Trump Tower bar was playing the local Fox News affiliate.

She opened her mouth to begin her next sentence when she noticed James had dozed off. She reached into her jacket pocket and slammed an envelope down on to the table.

James snapped back awake. Jarring he managed to ask "What was that for?"

She slid the packet of papers over to him, only narrowly avoiding puddles of what had to be a mix of gin, personal lubricant and bodily fluids on the mahogany colored wood panel table.

She started "Word of your recent victories has travelled westward and quickly. I managed to land you a job interview. But don't thank me just yet..."

James blinked rapidly and shot up in the booth.

"What are you talking about?"

She then quipped "You have the next flight which leaves JFK in a few hours to Cedar Rapids."

"Iowa?"

"Yes James the only Iowa in the republic."

She laughed out loud as he tore the package open and looked over the plane ticket. There was also a print out of an email Lisa-Marie had received only an hour before. Gareth B. Wright wanted to interview James coming off this win tonight. He was also impressed with how James pulled off a victory for a gubenatorial write in candidate up in Miane back during the 2050 mid term. Needless to say Gareth wanted to see what James was all about in a face to face meeting. Tomorrow.

"Come on we have to hose you off in a shower so you don't smell like gin at lunch tomorrow. Plus I wanna beat traffic out to Kennedy. It's a weekday after all."

James was beaming now. All smiles. He hugged and kissed his old friend.

"Ew!" She replied giggling "you truly do stink!"

As the two friends departed Trump Tower the nervous security guard nervously averted his eyes. The brisk night air hit Lisa-Marie hard as she propped up her drunk comrade. She couldn't tell if James' behavior that night was actually celebratory or self destructive. Could it be both? Were they mutually exclusive? She snapped out of that disturbing train of thought as there were more pressing matters at hand - crossing 5th Avenue to the Plaza hotel, showers, and lots of hot coffee. Her concerns would have to wait. The singular matter at hand now was ensuring James caught his flight departing soon. But it wasn't just a flight to Iowa. An uncertain trip into an unknown future was the most unsettling thing to come out of the night. Even more so then the fact that a Scientologist was now in charge of the nation's largest city....
Last edited by Urantia on Sat May 12, 2018 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Helowi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sat May 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Gareth B. Wright Campaign Rally at Cedar Rapids, IA
Senator Wright was backstage before the rally, trying to listen to his campaign advisors. He impatiently asks one of his aids. “He coming.” “Who?” Says the aid. “Oh you know who, James Dykstra!” The aid then raises an eyebrow. Wright sighs “Get the hell out of my way.” He brushes past and goes to ask his chief of communications. “Tell me now; is Dykstra coming or not!” He tells him. “We have intel that he is on his way.” “Thank god,” he sighs out of relief. He knew Dykstra could get him through this primary and into the general election. He then realized it was 15 minutes. He had just fired his other campaign manager after possible sexual assault allegations. If this guy didn’t work, he would be screwed.

Wright was waiting backstage, the guy speaking before him was a veteran and your usual American hero. Won a Purple Heart, served fifteen years, had fought on almost every continent, the usual. He was done speaking, his hair stylist was doing his last makeup check. The veteran was done speaking, there was a huge round of applause, before he went onstage, he did the usual, took a deep breath, brushed his shoulders, and walked on.

He walked on, a huge round of applause followed. He walked on, ready to speak. “Good Evening, my fellow Americans, I announced my candidacy fairly recently and already I have gained criticism, people say that I am “Too liberal for the Republican Party” and that I will never win. Well let me say this to you, that is exactly what the people in Minnesota said, and guess where I am now!” A huge round of applause happened, people chanted “I Vote Wright, I Vote Wright.” Over and over. Wright waited for the audience to settle.

“Thank you, thank you.” He continued. “Now people are also saying good ol’ Wright has no idea how to control this economy. Well let me tell you this, while I was CEO of Wright Electronics, I created thousands of Jobs for the people of Iowa with full health benifits. I also helped do this as a senator by aligning with businesses to create the AI Human Partnership Bill, which will have corporations be required to retain a quota of human employees. This bill, if passed, has been said by some economists to not hurt the economy and would create millions of jobs for American, including tons of Iowans. It is clear who can get stuff done when it comes to the economy. No, not Fischer, not Whitehouse, not even Caulfield, but Wright. Thank you.”

He walked offstage into the audience, he greeted certain members while they were cheering. He even gave a kid in the audience a mint in his pocket as he was feeling generous. After greeting for a while, he was advised to get on backstage and get ready for the interview. He then walked backstage and into his office, waiting for Dykstra to be interviewed.

Convallaria
Envoy

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Capitalizt

Postby Convallaria » Sat May 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Int. Ginger's Office. Day

An electric fan hums inside the study of a large, ranch style suburban home; the kind built in droves during the post ww2 boom. There is a immaculate, braided rug on the floor. Outside there is a long, wide corridor decorated with faded paintings of landscapes and shorelines. The wallpaper is sun-bleached and visibly dated, clean and bright. A large metal desk sits in the middle, anchored by a typewriter, and a crystal ashtray. A laptop rests open on the chair.

A five-foot tall, forty-year-old woman walks down the hallway, enters the office, and sits at the desk. She wears a short-sleeved shirtwaist dress with a blue neck scarf and white heels. Her hair is plain and bobbed. She is Ginger Caulfield.

She sits down and opens a newspaper on the laptop. There is a picture of her on the cover with an article addressing her several times. She lights a e-cigarette and continues to read. A seven-year-old girl in a cardigan sweater with knee-high socks and brightly polished, patent-leather shoes enters in a skip. She is Violet. She also carries a small doll which swings in the movement.

"Good morning momma" Her daughter said.

"Hello, sweetheart. What would like for breakfast?" Ginger asks with a smile.

Violet responds with "pancakes" while Ginger simultaneously mouths the word. The two giggle.

"Alright, go ahead and wait in the kitchen, I'll be there in a second," Ginger asks. Her daughter promptly nods and walks out of the room. Ginger lifts herself out of the chair and walks over to the door. She pushes it closed, but leaves it slightly ajar. She then walks across the rug to the window and pulls out her cellphone, to which she then dials a number. After ringing several times, a man with a high, energetic voice answers.

"Hello, Ginger. I trust your morning is more than splendid," the man begins.

"Cut the shit Robbie, did you see the paper or not?" she responds sarcastically.

"Yeah, yeah. Well, you're one step ahead now I suppose." He sighs. "The point is, what are we going to do about it? The Journal's a good start, but we need more leverage," he explains.

"I know; but we need the Journal if we're going to make it to the national ones...just see if you can put together a bigger campaign team. Check your references, maybe some more of your PR friends. Anything, it really doesn't matter. I just want to get to Santa Fe as soon as we can. I have to be ready for primaries."

"I'll see who I can find, I need a couple hours though," he says with agreeance.

"Okay then, I'll talk to you soon," she says.

"Hang on, I just wanted to ask something." He pauses momentarily, and continues. "Are you sure about this Ginger? Do you mean to tell me that you’re seriously thinking of doing this?” She responds quickly, almost insulted.

"I do." She shields the mic, and turns her attention as a small voice down the hall beckons her.

“That's fine pal, but who's going to side with you?” he asks, snapping her back.

“That’s not the point. The point is, who is going to stop me?” she answers before hanging up.

Last edited by Convallaria on Sun May 13, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Convallaria: A sprawling sun-soaked dreamscape silhouetted far beyond the ethereal horizons of austere morality and petty mediocrity. But behind the sterile flights of state-sanctioned-fancy lies a paradise lost...a land of milk, honey and sex turned rancid in the sun, as the harshly held colonial disciplines of a bygone era yield to the temptations of society's nighttime fragrances..."

Welcome to the smokey, monochromatic bacchanalia of deco noire and diesel-fueled death traps!

Daily-Trumpet: Circus elephant force-fed crate of tobacco - has escaped into Joaquin River Valley earlier today. | Avalonia suburbs in grip of worst dust storm ever recorded - schools closed - roads blocked - farms blown away. | Dowager actress found dead in Montecorvina

Vienna Eliot
Diplomat

Postby Vienna Eliot » Sat May 12, 2018 2:23 pm

News Updates — Wednesday, January 17th

"Americans are getting sick of RINOs," or Republicans in Name Only, said Daudt. As the senior Senator from Minnesota, Daudt has been known for almost two decades as one of the Midwest's most prominent conservatives, often putting him at odds with Wright, who belongs to a more liberal strand of the Republican Party.

Wright announced his candidacy shortly after President Fischer delivered his final State of the Union address to Congress, but Congressman Daniel DeHollander (D-MN), says Wright has had his eye on a candidacy for a while. "It's common courtesy to announce that you're exploring the possibility of running, but he never did that. But money doesn't come from nowhere. Senator Wright's been fundraising for months. I wonder how many votes he's missed in the Senate."

Enthusiasm over her chances is mixed, though. Former New Mexico governor and past presidential contender Gary Johnson said, "A woman will never win the GOP nomination. Caulfield is an admirable woman. But her party is not an admirable party." And Colorado's lieutenant governor, Dean Symmond, expressed doubts about her strategy. "The woman will be an underdog at best. So what if that translates to a win for her in terms of the nomination? The primary is supposed to select the candidate most likely to win in the General. Caulfield's my friend, but she's not that candidate."

Still, analysts say she has the fundraising capacity to run a major campaign. "Her networks are impeccable," said former mentor Deborah Feingold. "Campaigns are about money, not party. A Republican woman hasn't won, not yet, but it isn't because of the party. It isn't because of their politics. It's because of the money, and with the money she'll raise, in the circles she'll raise it, she will outperform in the Southwest and she will pose a serious challenge to the conservatives looking for votes here.

Cooper (host): But are you running? Are you going to run for President?

Washington (GA governor): I'm not running. I'm endorsing—

Cooper: Is it because America won't elect a black woman?

Washington: —well, I'll address that. America will elect a black woman, I have no doubt. It will happen in fifteen years, at most. But I do not want, I am not the person to be President of the United States. That person is Philip Blackburn.

Cooper: Who is that? Who is Philip Blackburn?

Washington: A gentleman from Texas, he sits on the DNC Executive Committee and he has singlehandedly turned Texas blue over the past twenty-five years.

Cooper: Is he going to run?

Washington: I told him he should run. I hope he runs.
Last edited by Vienna Eliot on Sat May 12, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helowi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sat May 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Gareth B. Wright Campaign Ad airing in New Hampshire and Iowa
[Senator Wright is playing basketball with his kids.]
“Hi I’m Gareth Wright. And you may of heard people calling me a Republican by Name Only, but that’s not true. I have an “A” rating from the NRA. I supported the privatization of Social Security threat was done by President Comey. I support the Private Schools as well as charter schools, and have gotten praise from the National Right to Life. So when people say that I am a conservative by name only, just look at my voting record.
Voice: Vote for the Wright guy. Vote Gareth B. Wright.
[He is shown with his kids and his wife, Danielle]
Wright: I’m Gareth Wright, and I approve of this message.

Urantia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Urantia » Sat May 12, 2018 3:59 pm

James had been ushered into the make shift office while Gareth was still on stage. He sat watching the brand new ad on his mobile device. The crowd was still raucous as the door behind him opened and Gareth walked in. It took James a moment to remember one must stand upon the entrance of a United States Senator into a room. He sprang up to his feet and gave Gareth the full "Bill Clinton treatment" handshake - firm clasp with a cupped hand on the arm.

"Senator, my name is James Dykstra. I'm happy we could meet and appreciate your time today."

Gareth returned the pleasantries.

"I have to say I'm already impressed that you're on the air with ads. That is a sure sign you're serious about winning this thing. I can appreciate that. Shows you mean business. And don't worry about these attacks on you already. Another good sign because they wouldn't attack you if they didn't think you were credible. Your candidacy worries some people and I like that about you. Look, the public is craving two things right now: one being pragmatism and the other being authenticity. I know you are both pragmatic and authentic. So am I. I run a numbers game. So do you. Your time in the private sector served you well as did mine. But running for Commander in Chief takes a special kind of crazy. Before we do this thing together you and the wife need a gut check because not only will this up end your family life, I will need to know you're entirely devoted to winning."

James had the attention of the Senator and it occurred to him that they had a lot more then just their age in common. He continued...

"I will not care about winning more then you do. We need to be on the same page. I've made the mistake of caring more then the candidate and..." James shrugged and grimaced. A flash of regret washed over him and he bacame flush in the face. He readjusted his coat. He had forgotten how biting the cold in Iowa could be.

He continued... "I refuse to make that mistake again. Regardless if we go through with this you need to know the rules. This is a trade. A transaction. You get me as your pit bull - your attack dog. But do not put a muzzle on me. As manager I answer to you. I have complete autonomy in regards to staff. No nepotism or cronyism. If there is a friend or relative that can't stomach me or handle getting let go then find them an office in DC or Minnesota to chill out at. So what do you say? Are you ready to win?"

James stuck out his hand again awaiting the response from Gareth...

Firaxin
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Firaxin » Sat May 12, 2018 4:00 pm

A Different Approach
January 19th, 2052
Representative Hasting's Residence
5:45 PM

Andrew walked into his living room, a somewhat messy place where he spent most of his off-time. In front of him was a large wall mounted screen, with several wires hanging from behind it. Multiple electronic devices were in the room, most of them humming and giving occasional soft blinks of light while in sleep mode. A modern mechanical chair lies in the middle of the room, looking towards the screen. He sits down in the chair presses a button on the armrest, causing a control console to rise out of the floor, and the screen to be filled with color. The console contains a detachable controller, keyboard, touchscreen, mouse, and joysticks. He begins typing on the keyboard bringing up a window with various programs listed in alphabetical order. Further typing singles out one program and a key plays indicating it's selection. The screen returns to black. The console then slides back down into the floor. The chair turns to the left automatically and a VR headset rises out of the floor. Andrew carefully places the headset on his head and relaxes.

It hums to life, preparing itself and it's user, performing an active scan on Andrew's brain. The advanced systems inside allowed for control of your abilities with one's mind, though many still preferred more tactile controls or feared the tech was telling all their info to the global conspiracy. Eventually, the signals emitted by the headset to his brain began to change his perception, leaving him in the game world. He quickly selected the Eastern Coastal server and loaded into his personal residence in game. He began to prepare himself for the AMA in the hub world his campaign had set up. Nothing like this had been done before in a presidential election, understandably so considering the expensive cost of VR just a decade ago. He made his avatar presentable, wearing a black suit and red tie, and used the in game internet browser to watch for any important info before 6:00 PM.

"'RINO Wright' a national embarrassment: Senior Minnesota Senator" was the first thing to come up. There wouldn't be any RINOs if we didn't have a two party system, he thought, slightly annoyed but rather uncaring about the rest of the article. Next was the main Time article of the month on Ms. Caulfield. An ignorant fool, or a sinful woman is she. I will be severely disappointed in the people of our nation if she gets even remotely close to victory, Andrew thought. Little else was important and it was time for the AMA.

Helowi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sat May 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Urantia wrote:James had been ushered into the make shift office while Gareth was still on stage. He sat watching the brand new ad on his mobile device. The crowd was still raucous as the door behind him opened and Gareth walked in. It took James a moment to remember one must stand upon the entrance of a United States Senator into a room. He sprang up to his feet and gave Gareth the full "Bill Clinton treatment" handshake - firm clasp with a cupped hand on the arm.

"Senator, my name is James Dykstra. I'm happy we could meet and appreciate your time today."

Gareth returned the pleasantries.

"I have to say I'm already impressed that you're on the air with ads. That is a sure sign you're serious about winning this thing. I can appreciate that. Shows you mean business. And don't worry about these attacks on you already. Another good sign because they wouldn't attack you if they didn't think you were credible. Your candidacy worries some people and I like that about you. Look, the public is craving two things right now: one being pragmatism and the other being authenticity. I know you are both pragmatic and authentic. So am I. I run a numbers game. So do you. Your time in the private sector served you well as did mine. But running for Commander in Chief takes a special kind of crazy. Before we do this thing together you and the wife need a gut check because not only will this up end your family life, I will need to know you're entirely devoted to winning."

James had the attention of the Senator and it occurred to him that they had a lot more then just their age in common. He continued...

"I will not care about winning more then you do. We need to be on the same page. I've made the mistake of caring more then the candidate and..." James shrugged and grimaced. A flash of regret washed over him and he bacame flush in the face. He readjusted his coat. He had forgotten how biting the cold in Iowa could be.

He continued... "I refuse to make that mistake again. Regardless if we go through with this you need to know the rules. This is a trade. A transaction. You get me as your pit bull - your attack dog. But do not put a muzzle on me. As manager I answer to you. I have complete autonomy in regards to staff. No nepotism or cronyism. If there is a friend or relative that can't stomach me or handle getting let go then find them an office in DC or Minnesota to chill out at. So what do you say? Are you ready to win?"

James stuck out his hand again awaiting the response from Gareth...

Gareth smiles. He stands up, he begins to speak. “I’m already impressed by your previous record, you got a write in Candidate to win a race in Maine, that is already a dream campaign manager. You have also compelled me with your recent speech to me. I already think you could help me win this, especially with the attacks from Senator Daught. I just ask you of two things, 1. You may not abandon ship unless I tell you can. And 2. You have to tell me if you had anything in your past that could result in a scandal. I already dealt with one scandal with a manager and I ain’t gonna deal with another.” He then waited patiently for a response.

Urantia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Urantia » Sat May 12, 2018 6:28 pm

James hated this parted. It always triggered a deep seated self loathing mechanism way down in his core. He drew a large sigh and looked straight down at his snow boots.

His first instinct was always to lie. A therapist once described it as being a trait of an Adult child of an Alcholic. In this case it was alcoholic and addict.

James feared being judged. He had never done anything inherently wrong or even all that illegal. So that wasn't even the problem. He glanced up at the Senator and started into his usual canned response to this question.

"I have made ton of enemies on the campaign trail, Senator. You don't make friends winning. I would be lying if I told you I had a bunch of friends in Washington. But I do have everyone's respect. I would be no good at my job if I was just another siccophantic yes man..."

The loud speakers outside played "Don't stop believing" as the crowd thinned out...

"I've also had a lot of losses in my life - on and off the campaign trail. People now a days will pounce on any sign of weakness they can detect. But to answer your question: no. I have lived nearly my whole adult life in the scrutiny of the public. There's nothing new to be said about me in the way of scandal. Anything you hear or will hear is old recycled garbage dug up to settle old spats. I have a crazy ex fiancee and I'm lucky I can't get pregnant..."

James smirked a side ways toothy grin. That line always disarmed powerful straight men. Made them laugh. The truth was in reality he could not get another man pregnant. Which of course was a distinction without a difference to many others but...

He noticed Gareth start to chuckle to himself...and relief washed over James.
Last edited by Urantia on Sat May 12, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helowi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sat May 12, 2018 6:33 pm

Urantia wrote:James hated this parted. It always triggered a deep seated self loathing mechanism way down in his core. He drew a large sigh and looked straight down at his snow boots.

His first instinct was always to lie. A therapist once described it as being a trait of an Adult child of an Alcholic. In this case it was alcoholic and addict.

James feared being judged. He had never done anything inherently wrong or even all that illegal. So that wasn't even the problem. He glanced up at the Senator and started into his usual canned response to this question.

"I have made ton of enemies on the campaign trail, Senator. You don't make friends winning. I would be lying if I told you I had a bunch of friends in Washington. But I do have everyone's respect. I would be no good at my job if I was just another siccophantic yes man..."

The loud speakers outside played "Don't stop believing" as the crowd thinned out...

"I've also had a lot of losses in my life - on and off the campaign trail. People now a days will pounce on any sign of weakness they can detect. But to answer your question: no. I have lived nearly my whole adult life in the scrutiny of the public. There's nothing new to be said about me in the way of scandal. Anything you hear or will hear is old recycled garbage dug up to settle old spats. I have a crazy ex fiancee and I'm lucky I can't pregnant..."

James smirked a side ways toothy grin. That line always disarmed powerful straight men. Made them laugh. The truth was in reality he could not get another man pregnant. Which of course was a distinction without a difference to many others but...

He noticed Gareth start to chuckle to himself...and relief washed over James.

He smiled and replied “Thank you for your time sir, when do you wanna start!” He was very excited, he knew that he had tons of enemies and you don’t make friends. And now, Gareth seemed like he could finally take out Hastings, Caulfield, and anyone who these people would throw at ‘em”

Urantia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Urantia » Sat May 12, 2018 6:46 pm

"I'm at your disposal until we get you the title president-elect. Your wife and my best friend are old sorority sisters from their undergrad years. We are a package deal. Lisa-Marie becomes your chief of staff now that I'm manager. Consider her our good luck charm. I wanna spend some time with you now for a few days. Get to hear your stump speech. Watch you work a crowd. Iron out some policy positions. I need to know what makes you who you are. After that then I will fly to St. Paul and set up shop. While I am putting HQ in place you should tie up any loose ends at home and on Capitol Hill. I'm sure you don't need to be reminded that as a sitting US Senator you have a target on your back. Above all else I want this to be a campaign of ideas. We will keep any policy wonks you have in the office - I can't tell you how fed up I am with presidential races being beauty peagants or popularity contests. We need to tell your story now. We have to let the American people know that the man you've been in private business and public service will be the same man as Commander in Chief of the armed forces..."

Helowi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sat May 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Urantia wrote:"I'm at your disposal until we get you the title president-elect. Your wife and my best friend are old sorority sisters from their undergrad years. We are a package deal. Lisa-Marie becomes your chief of staff now that I'm manager. Consider her our good luck charm. I wanna spend some time with you now for a few days. Get to hear your stump speech. Watch you work a crowd. Iron out some policy positions. I need to know what makes you who you are. After that then I will fly to St. Paul and set up shop. While I am putting HQ in place you should tie up any loose ends at home and on Capitol Hill. I'm sure you don't need to be reminded that as a sitting US Senator you have a target on your back. Above all else I want this to be a campaign of ideas. We will keep any policy wonks you have in the office - I can't tell you how fed up I am with presidential races being beauty peagants or popularity contests. We need to tell your story now. We have to let the American people know that the man you've been in private business and public service will be the same man as Commander in Chief of the armed forces..."

Thank you sir. We have a flight for you to St. Paul tomorrow morning. We have given the news to HQ and I am heading out. Now if you will excuse me, I need to get ready for tomorrow. You probably should too, we have a hotel ready for you for the night and a flight to St. Paul at 8am Tomorrow. Thank you and hopefully you can find your way.

Vienna Eliot
Diplomat

Postby Vienna Eliot » Sun May 13, 2018 12:12 am

White House Daily Press Briefing
James S. Brady Press Briefing Room | The West Wing

MOIRA STAMPER:  Good afternoon, everybody.  It’s Friday already.  That’s something the President will be celebrating.  Let me do a quick announcement that you may have already seen a little bit about, and then we’ll go to your questions.

On Wednesday, January 24th, nine years after he announced his candidacy for President, President Fischer will return to the place where his career began by traveling to Tallahassee, Florida. As a State Senator, Dick Fischer spent each day in the Florida State Capitol working in good faith with folks from all walks of life — Democrats and Republicans and Independents — representing good people of every ethnicity and faith, determined to do right by the people of the state where he made his home. And as Governor of Florida, Dick Fischer chose the steps of the old state capitol to ask Americans to join him in the unfinished business of perfecting our union.

Now, in the final year of his second term, President Fischer looks forward to addressing the Florida Legislature on January 24th about what we can do together as a country to build a better politics, and one that reflects our better selves.  So that should be an interesting event this coming Wednesday this week.

With that, Josh, let’s go to your questions.

Q:    Thanks, Moira.  I wanted to ask you about Iranian state media reporting that they had flown a surveillance drone over some type of U.S. ship to conduct some surveillance.  Do you have any evidence that backs that up? And does the U.S. consider that to be a provocative act?

STAMPER:  Josh, I’ve seen these reports, as well.  I’d refer you to the Department of Defense for any assessment of whether or not any significant risk was perceived in that action.  They can give you a better sense of sort of how worrisome something like this is.

Q: And on another concerning issue of North Korea, I wanted to see if you could give us an update on the latest U.S. thinking about what the best approach is to responding to that testing incident.  It seems that some of our partners in other countries that we’re trying to get to put pressure on North Korea are concerned that if we push too hard with sanctions, it could actually destabilize North Korea and lead to even worse situations.  So is there, would the goal of additional U.S. sanctions be to put more economic pressure on Pyongyang, or to actually try and see a new type of government there?

STAMPER:  Josh, we’ve talked about how the nuclear test that the North Koreans conducted earlier this month was inconsistent with their international obligations and prior promises.  And North Korea's pursuit of a larger nuclear weapons stockpile and a potentially more dangerous nuclear weapons stockpile only serves to destabilize the broader region.  And that’s why the broader region — all the large countries in the broader region have called on them to stop doing it.

Ann.

Q: Just briefly, you’ve said before that the President has hoped to meet face to face with the Speaker relatively soon.  And I know it’s just 10 days until the budget is released.  I’m wondering whether that meeting is going to happen soon, or do you have any news on that?

STAMPER:  I do.  It’s in the week ahead.  Next week — we’ll just jump ahead.  Let me make sure I get this part right.  This week, I believe, the President will meet with both the Senate Majority Leader and the Speaker to discuss legislative priorities for the coming year.  Building on the bipartisan budget agreement that the President signed into law last year, we certainly believe that there are areas of cooperation for the year ahead.  And we are going to have a discussion, and the President will have a discussion with the Majority Leader and the Speaker about opportunities to work together to deliver for the American people.

Q: Why has it taken so long to have the chance to meet with the Speaker?

STAMPER:  Well, we’ve obviously been in a discussion with him since the beginning of the year about setting up this meeting.  And it’s obviously been a busy couple of weeks; obviously the State of the Union address, and there have been some snow days.  There have been at least a couple weeks where Congress hasn’t been in session.  But this is the opportunity that we’ve had to meet, and the President is looking forward to the conversation. Again, based on the success that we had last year in finding some common ground to advance a whole range of shared priorities, there’s plenty to talk about this year, too.

Justin.

Q:    Does the President agree with the Vice President that the Republican presidential race is a “gift from the Lord”?  (laughter)

STAMPER:  The Vice President has a well-established reputation for his colorful expressions like the one that you just cited there.  The President has made clear that regardless of who Republicans nominate at this point, based on the rhetoric that we hear not just from the leading candidate, but from all of the leading candidates — to the extent that there are multiples of them — all are offering up the same kind of pessimism and doom and gloom that stands in stark contrast to the kind of optimism and energy and momentum that Democrats are running on, and that dynamic historically in politics plays pretty well for those who are running on optimism and the kind of can-do spirit that has infused American politics since the founding of our country.

Q: But does he think that the Republicans — or the state of the Republican race — is at all making things easier for progressives like himself?

STAMPER:  Well, I think, again, I didn't see the entirety of the Vice President’s remarks.  But I think his point is that the contrast offered up from the pessimism of the Republican candidates, again, creates a genuine opportunity for Democratic candidates that are interested in championing the interest of middle-class families and capitalizing on the momentum that our economy is showing, and building on what is best about America.  And the Vice President’s observation is that that's a winning message, particularly when it comes in contrast with the doom and gloom that's being spread by the Republican Party.

Michelle.

Q: Thanks, Moira.  I wanted to get your take on the Iowa caucus coming up in a few weeks.  Last opportunity to ask you about this before I head out to the Hawkeye state. You have some experience here helping the President, then Governor Fischer, win the Iowa caucus back in 2044.  I wanted to get your sense about how important it is for Democrats to win Iowa. Does it give you that momentum?  If the President, then Governor Fischer, had not won Iowa, would it have, in your opinion, hurt him in the process to winning the Democratic nomination?  Give me your take as someone who’s experienced this before.

STAMPER:  Well, look, each race is different, and the dynamics of the race and the calendar are different every year.  And I think in some ways that’s what makes the primary process and even the Iowa caucus process so interesting. I do think that it’s true, in 2044, if Dick Fischer had not won the Iowa caucuses, that he probably would not have won the nomination and therefore would not have become President.  At the time, in 2044, there was a lot of skepticism about a couple of different things. Remember that the President was and is an Independent, just running on the Democratic ticket. But regardless, look, I think what’s notable is it’s the first contest of the presidential cycle.  And I think that’s the other reason that it’s so interesting.  It’s the first time that all of our own personal assumptions and hypotheses about the candidates and their strategy can be put to the test.  And that’s what will make Thursday night a pretty interesting night of television.

Last question, Janine.

Q: Does the President have any comment on the criticism of his State of the Union address?

STAMPER: That's really, I mean, you know we've addressed this in press release form. But to answer your question, the President stands by what he said, because he knows what he's doing, as President, is what our first thought is. And we know that the President raised some issues that, because of the disrespect we faced from some more extremist members of Congress, he wasn't able to wrap up on them. The President doesn't feel the need to make any statements about the address, because the disrespect from members of the Republican caucus, and we acknowledge even some members of the Democratic caucus — that speaks for itself. But if the President does decide to make a statement, it will be from his desk, not from this podium.

Q: One more, if that's okay. Will you comment on the President's meeting schedule? We've all been speculating about some of the things on here. Is the President preparing to endorse?

STAMPER: As discussed just last Friday, the President will not be endorsing any candidates for the presidency, and that is a promise he intends to stick with. And the Times was incorrect, because he will not be attending the Democratic National Convention, because he is not a Democrat and he does not have a vote there. So I hope y'all correct that. That's all we have time for today.

Let me do the week ahead, and then we’ll let you guys get on with your work.
Today and early next week, the President will attend meetings at the White House.
On Wednesday, the President will deliver remarks to the Florida Legislature. This is something that the President has specifically requested the opportunity to do himself, so I know he’s looking forward to this event.
On Thursday, as I mentioned, the President will meet with the Senate Majority Leader and Speaker of the House.  They’ll discuss a range of legislative priorities for the upcoming year.  And the President is certainly hopeful that they’ll be able to build on the momentum of the bipartisan budget agreement that was reached at the end of last year and discuss areas of cooperation for the year ahead.
And on Friday, the President will be here at the White House.

So, lots to look forward to next week.  But until then, have a great day.

Tumbra
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 29, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tumbra » Sun May 13, 2018 2:38 am

Austin, Texas
Cable News Network
January 4, 2052

"And now the cameras are rolling as former Governor Brae waves from the door of his mansion...in that familiar pose...for the last time. Certainly a remarkable man who has left a deep imprint on Texan politics. First a Representative, then a Senator, then Governor...what a remarkable career. I'd be almost surprised if he didn't run for President this time around. After all, the timing of this announcement seems a bit too coincidental, Norman."

"I'd certainly say so, Helen. Leaving halfway through his fourth and final term means he stops short of former Secretary of Energy Rick Perry's record of 15 years. Between these two fine young men, Helen, those two have led Texas for over half this century. Both of them will definitely have their detractors and their supporters - more supporters in Brae's case, the charismatic old gent has certainly won many people over - and both of them will have left an indelible mark on Texan history."

"And there he goes, former Governor Brae, walking out of the mansion. Flanked by his wife, Catherine, his eldest son and oldest daughter, all dressed for the occasion - and right behind them, his youngest son, Timothy. Lt. Governor Santos, an ever-loyal Governor, will assume the position at midnight. A momentuous day for Texas indeed as it gets its first Hispanic governor in this state that is now a tossup."

"Kathy..."
"Tom, I know why you quit. You talked to Phil Blackburn, you talked to Kev. And ever since then you've been paying close attention to the state of the Democratic nomination and which states were tossups. I've been your wife for nearly thirty years now, and I know you want to become President. In fact, I'm shocked you didn't come to me earlier. But it's alright."
"And you'll be supporting me?"
"Of course I will, Tom. You know I will. I know William and Mary will too. But Timothy might have a problem. He's spent his entire known life in the Governor's mansion - he's grown up with cameras all around him, he hates it. He hates politics with a burning passion, and I'm afraid that if you do go for the Presidency, you might have more problems on your hands. He is eighteen, after all."
"He'll be entering college soon."
"And then he'll be followed all around by paparazzi. Tom, you know what Timothy's like. He wants to be a normal young man, going to college and getting a girlfriend like anyone else. He doesn't want to be known as the son of the President."
"Kathy, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. He's eighteen this year. If anything comes up, we'll talk through it like how responsible young adults should."

"If he does run for President, Norman - and the indicators are looking very likely that he might - what do you think are his chances? The field isn't very packed at the moment. Potential candidates are...the former Governor of Oregon, Senator Franklin Sobel... A very high-calibre team all around. Brae might be the most personally popular, but he's not a policy wonk."

"He's the furthest thing from a policy wonk. It's like Dewey in '48, except he's Southern and likes immigrants."

"Well, we'll leave our viewers to decide whether Brae would make a good President or not. Till next time, it's Helen Jones and Norman Lawrence on CNN. Over and out!"
THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF TUMBRA
Tumbra - a sprawling, modern federal democratic republic located in Esportiva. Strong economy, strong civil rights, strong freedoms.
Population: 121 million | TLA: TMB | Capital City: Straton | Largest City: Couno
Constitution | Domestic News | Domestic Football | Domestic Motorsports | Wiki Article
President: Edward Merryweather (United) | Prime Minister: Bertram Andrews (Labour)
U-18 World Cup 13, 21 Champions/Di Bradini Cup 51, 57 Champions

Urantia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Urantia » Sun May 13, 2018 5:25 am

James was dreaming. One of those dreams you don't know you're actually dreaming in until that last moment. Then you wake up. But this dream was a nightmarish trip down memory lane. He could feel the rain on his face prickly like pins and needles. Hot. Wet. Humid, muggy and sticky. Just the way Florida was in the summer. He remembers rushing around Key West. Trying to get every thing ready. Just right. Tonight was the night - he was going to ask his soulmate to marry him. Jeremy had slept in and he was planning on surprising him first thing that morning with breakfast in bed. But he had rushed out on the rental scooter to get the breakfast needed from Publix, a Florida grown supermarket chain.

He was on his way back to the condo they had gotten from James' mom. In this dream that was the dominate thing in his mind right before the crash. That and the rain. The pain of regret knowing mom wouldnt see him get married was a struggle to repress right as he noticed the car in front of him stop at a green light. A green light?

James bolted up from his airline passenger seat. Panting and in a panic. A quick glance around the plane cabin revealed maybe 10 or 11 people on the air craft with him. The mid size jet was on some economy style regional carrier. Most people were asleep. Those who weren't all had ear phones in - reading news papers or tablet devices. One heavyset man two aisles over was snoring obnoxiously. The same kind of snore that had haunted James at Trump Tower just 2 days prior.

James could hear is own ear phones playing "Somebody I Used to know" by Goyte. He tried to silence his ear phones with out outwardly displaying too much anger. He glanced at his watch - 17 missed calls. He inhaled and exhaled deeply as it occurred to himself that he isn't a very good friend during election years. Or ever really?

James brought himself to his feet and hid his trembling hands deep down in the pockets of his slacks.

He didnt know the cause of his involuntary shaking this time but he knew why his body was doing it right now.

As he meandered to the lavatory he thought about the sheer rush he had felt acquiring this new job with Wright. That was part of it. Excitement. Another part was the angry cold the mid west is always home to. The final part was James trying to shake off that nightmare he just had. But as he was alone in that cramped lavatory the gnawing reality set it.

If James was being honest with himself right now it was because he had not had a drink in a great many hours - or at least what his body thought was a long time.

He splashed hot water on his face and fixed his hair.

Returning to his seat he ordered a screw driver. Then another for good measure. And why not a third for the Heck of it? He earned it after landing this new job. By the time he landed in bleak St. Paul, James felt renewed. Confident. Steady. The nightmare had retreated to it's rightful place as a distant memory buried in the back of his mind.

To start his day right he sat for a moment at one of the numerous airport bars and ordered a red bull and vodka. James giggled at the fact that even after years of drinking he couldn't find a decent breakfast mixer with gin in it.

As he dialed Lisa-Marie his giggle evaporated. Years? Had it really been years? Years.

"Kiddo! I've got the best news. Pack your bag and come out to Minnesota. You're speaking with Senator Gareth Wright's newest campaign manager!

....yeah I'm sorry for not calling..." 

James was very sorry. Just not about that. Not at all.

As James stared out the car window at a city which was totally unfamiliar to him, his thoughts returned to Jeremy one last time as the rush of the red bull washed over him. Even in those dark days after the accident full of drugs, infidelity and physical therapy, James had decided to only remember Jeremy in one sole way: totally dedicated. That night after preliminary surgery as James rested in the delicious twilight of pain medications he had insisted Jeremy go back to the condo to shower, eat and sleep. But Jeremy refused. He would not leave James' side. James didn't want Jeremy to suffer or be uncomfortable but in that moment it occurred to him that despite the inhospitable environment most hospitals offer - Jeremy wouldn't want to be any where else but by his side.

There. That. This was what James struggled to cling to as the car pulled in front of a tall building all steel and glass. There was a war on inside the personhood of James Dykstra. He fought this particular battle trying to remember that brief and fleeting memory of Jeremy. That was the kind of person he was but it wasn't easy to remind himself of that. James snapped out of it and mumbled "it's go time" to himself exiting the car into the frigid air of St. Paul, Minnesota.

The building lobby echoed a faint tune in the background of the over head music system:

"...and that we were nothing...

...now you're just somebody that I..."
Last edited by Urantia on Sun May 13, 2018 8:18 am, edited 12 times in total.

Helowi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sun May 13, 2018 9:16 am

Gareth B. Wright Campaign Rally in Des Moines, Iowa.
Gareth was patiently waiting in his makeshift office, playing cards with a couple of buddies and waiting for his turn to speak. His wife entered the room and told him goodbye and told him she hopes that he makes it to dinner tonight, even though she knew he wouldn’t. He then turned on the tv to check out what the next scandal was, what political gaffe his opponent made, etc.

He turned on the tv and listened to the interview with Josh and Stamper. He saw how they were talking about how the Republican Primaries are hopeless and that the democrats will win. He then realized these were pretty much the same comments made during his senate campaign. He then had a slight laugh with his buddies.

He looked at the clock and saw that it was 20 minutes before he had to get onstage. He quickly went to makeup check and had a mike set up. He was waiting patiently backstage while the speaker was speaking. The speaker before him was the mayor of Des Moines. Your average liberal republican who was now running for U.S. Senate like me.

Once he was finished, there was a huge round of applause. Wright then entered onstage, he did his usual routine of brushing his shoulders off and taking a deep breath. He then entered onstage, he looked at the audience and waited for the applause to end. He then began his speech.

“Good evening, people of Des Moines. There is currently a lot of trouble going on in the Republican Party. We have been criticized by the president and the Vice President and they say that we cannot win. Well, guess who said almost the exact same thing. The people who were saying that I could not win U.S. Senate win i first ran. And guess what happened then.”

There was Roaring applause, people were cheering, the crowd was going wild. All Wright did was smile and waited for the applause to end. He continued

“And you know why I can win this race. I have hope for the future, my economic plans have been praised by senators and economists alike. And most importantly is the fact that I care. I care about Iowans, I care about people from all around the world, Europe, India, America, you name it. And the most important thing is I will never give up hope. Thank you Des Moines.”

The crow was so loud it was like they just caught on fire. Wright went into the audience and gave out handshakes for 15 minutes whilst cracking jokes. Wright needed to hurry though as I needed to get back to St. Paul. As tonight, Wright has an interview.

Urantia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Urantia » Sun May 13, 2018 10:39 am

James threw his glasses down on the mounting pile of papers growing on the desk. He was on the phone and trying to keep his cool.

"Summer? Listen to me. No, no. Listen Summer I'm not asking as the Senator's campaign mana-

Yes I'm aware no body thinks he can win. Tell Ronan we wanna prove everyone wrong. America loves the under dog..."

James, in exasperation, was dealing with the publicist and agent for Ronan Farrow. On occassion Ronan was known to dust off his Pulitzer prizes and grant an interview or run a special expose on some injustice somewhere - usually focused on LGBT issues.

James had been a generous donor to the Human Rights Commission and sat on the board of the Pulse Foundation, a charity Ronan founded back in 2022 to marry the pet issues of gay rights and gun control under one left wing organization.

James continued "...I'm calling in this favor Summer. Ronan owes me as a friend of his - and a contributor to his foundation..."

James let out a long sigh of relief.

"...ah thank you Summer! We will make it worth Ronan's time I promise....wait what? Why?..."

Summer reminded James that Ronan was in the same age group as out going President Fischer.

"...Fine! You win. The Senator will fly to New York and come to 30 Rock for the sit down. Let me email you the Senator's schedule for the week ahead and let us know what works for Ronan..."

James now dreaded his next call. He would have to tell the Senator about the change in plans. He put his glasses back on. He started rehearsing the lines over in his head:

...but think of the media exposure...free air time!...Ronan is the darling of LGBT activists....wins us major credibility...boosts awareness with social progressives the GOP desperately needs back...expands the donor base...photo op in NYC....

James wondered aloud to himself if the Senator would buy it. All he knew was this was no way to start off in this new working relationship.

His last excuse would be a policy study session or a debate prep exercise. The Senator had youth on his side but he needed to expand the scope of his policy knowledge...
Last edited by Urantia on Sun May 13, 2018 11:36 am, edited 5 times in total.

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Sun May 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Vienna Eliot wrote:The doors to the House of Representatives swung open, and the Sergeant-at-Arms paraded in.

"Madam Speaker — the President of the United States!"

"And I will tell you this. We may not always agree with one another. Hell, I find myself disagreeing with the Speaker about as often as I disagree with the First Lady. But it is in this House — the House of the people — where we learn to disagree without being disagreeable. We will always find compromise, as long as we simply remember those values that must never be compromised. I trust in this Congress to take those necessary steps."

They weren't booing — no, it wasn't as bad as it had been earlier — but they were shaking their heads. And then it happened. First one Republican got up. Then another. And then a Democrat stood up as well, and they all headed for the door. One after another, it seemed like the President was going to conclude by speaking to an empty chamber.

"And for that reason, I am here to tell you, the state of the Union is strong! My fellow Americans, I— well, God bless you. And God bless the United States of America."

January 30, 2052
Washington D.C. United States of America
United
Theodore had a seat near the front centre. Indeed he was in the centre of the second row from the bottom. This was the 12th state of the union he was able to see in person, and one of many he was able to watch online. They were fairly similar. What were the presidents goals? How stable was the country? What were the budget and finances like? Were their any social reforms that should be noted? How is the environment doing? How was the nations quality of life and infrastructure doing. Basically, what were the major issues today, and how would the president like to address them. Fairly standard issue, although his one was the final one of this presidents term in office, and Theodore was one of the last to leave the chamber. Only leaving shortly after the president, as he wanted to hear what he had to say and patiently waited.

Some things he nodded at, such as the Presidents disagreement with the speaker of the house as rumours had circulated about emails sent between the 2, and that congress should keep some principles in mind and take the necessary steps to keep those in mind and consider the effects of them on others as they enact legislation.

Shortly after the president departed, Theodore stood up and walked with the last few congressmen to the exits. A few reporters had stayed behind after most of the congressmen had departed.

(Reporter) Mr. Whitehorse what did you think of the State of the Union Address

(whitehorse) It was modest.

(Reporter) What are your thoughts on the Upcoming Presidential Campaign?

(Whitehorse) There should be some good candidates in the race. I am looking forward to it.

(Reporter) Do you know who will be in the race?

(Whitehorse) I have heard some rumours of potential candidates, but nothing official as of yet.

(Reporter) Are you running?

(Whitehorse) Yes

(Whitehorse) Thank you for your questions. Have a good day.
Last edited by Cainesland on Sun May 13, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ascysia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ascysia » Sun May 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Jackson County, Oregon | July 5th 2051

"Richard I'll be blunt with you. Winning the presidency will put you down in history, losing will fuck you right over in the long run. You're simultaneously the most conservative democrat, and the most moderate candidate. People look at you and say you can't decide what you are. Your free trade, pro-life and pro-gun beliefs put you along with the Republicans, then you go on your environmentalism, your fair labour regulations, and pragmatic yet somewhat liberal spending on infrastructure and education, and people put you in with the rest of the Democrats. Every prospective candidate is left of you. You have the record to run on a platform where you can say 'I'm Richard Faulkner. I'm a Democrat, but before that I'm an American.' I will help you with that."

Those were the words of one of Faulkner's good friends, an ex-Columbia professor and now researcher & spokesman for the Bipartisan Policy Center, Adam Cooke. He helped Faulkner a lot through the last decade or so. He was his gubernatorial campaign manager in 2042, and while he couldn't repeat that for 2046, he still advised him on a few things. This meeting between them, in the Faulkner family homes' sitting room, was going to be the start of Faulkners' campaign.

"Adam, my domestic policy is sound, I can win voters from both sides with it. Right now my foreign policy is the issue. I plan on giving a speech before the first debate, titled "Renewed American Global Leadership." However I do not know how it will sit?" Faulkner said.

"It could go either way." Cooke began. "It depends how you outline it my friend. Do you bluntly say you want to end our pseudo-isolationism and become the world's mediator again? Or do you say we need a pragmatic policy promoting the good old American values of free enterprise, civil liberties and democracy through any means necessary? I say you pick the second."

"Yeah. I would too. And if they ask what I mean by 'any means necessary' what do I say? You know my positions on NATO and intervention, so do the media. Do the rest of the population agree with me?"

"Doesn't matter if they agree with you. It's about language. Sell your policies, don't go into long rants outlining them. Say 'we will do this, and the result will be XYZ.' Fischer's foreign policy is a trump card for you. He's been complacent to North Korea. He's been complacent to China. He's been complacent to Iran. This is one issue you need to be blunt on. Tell the people that we have a strong military, we have strategic allies, and we need to send a message to the rest of the world, a message that 'America, is back.' Remember the cold war? The Russians couldn't do shit without us responding. Now even bloody Iran does what it wants in the Middle East." Cooke responded.

"Alright. Two days away until I announce my campaign. It will be a direct attack on Fischer, and will be a message of hope, and a promise to bring America back. And lastly Adam, I want you to be my campaign manager. My agents will outline a good contract for you, and you'd look good in the white house."

Cooke smiled and began to walk out. "I'll think about it, Mr. President." he said as he left.

Portland, Oregon | July 7th, 2051

"There's a good 2,000 people here, more still coming in. All of them think you're just speaking for Pearson. He's in on your announcement?" Cooke asked.
"Yup. It's gonna start off simple. He speaks for about 10 minutes, welcomes me on. I speak about him for about 5 minutes, then I mention leadership, and begin talking about Fischer. His average rally attendance is about 650, most of the people here are here because of me. Not being vain, it's a matter of fact, Pearson was the one who said it to me. I got my team to get people here as well, so a good number are here for me." Faulkner responded.

The speech began. State Senator Fred Pearson, a young and upcoming statewide Democrat and leader of the Democratic Party of Oregon began speaking. His main issues were transport in Portland, understandable since their quality had been dropping over the last few weeks. For a minute or so, he hyped up the crowd for Faulkner's appearance.

"...so ladies and gentleman, I am proud to welcome, a man I admire so much, the man who inspired me to get into politics, the man I would vote for the presidency in a heartbeat, my good friend, our good friend, former Governor Richard Faulkner!" Pearson began to walk to the side as Faulkner got on the stage, welcomed by a loud applause of supporters. He spoke for a few minutes about his relationship with Pearson, how he was very supportive of his transport policies, a key issue not just Portland, not just Oregon, but that all of America was facing. Then he began to drift away from that.

"... You know, Pearson's young, and many people have said: does he have the experience to be president pro-tempore of the upper house of a state legislature? He's only 34! You know what I say? We have people over double his age trying to run things and they fail miserably. Leadership is a very important attribute for any politician, maybe not so much for a normal state legislator, but Pearson is going to be president pro-tempore, and the reason the state Democratic Party backs him for this, is because he's a naturally gifted leader. He is coordinating the party well, and will help us retake the state from the Republicans. Portland has solid leadership in the form of my friend Mayor Carter over there, I'd like to think that I gave us good leadership as governor. I don't think this state has a problem with leadership though, it may not be something you like to hear, but we Democrats have no shortage of good leaders, and the Republicans here, they do a good job too, okay? The area we lack leadership in isn't city-wide, it isn't state-wide, its country-wide. And thanks to the lack of leadership in this country, the entire world is now lacking leadership. Over the last decade, China has risen in world politics and trade. Iran dominates the middle-east, and Korea is once again a worrying situation. I've been watching this country's influence and strength deteriorate for the last decade, and I predicted we'd be on that path for the last couple decades. Well, you know what, I'm sick of it. As Americans, we must promote the values we cherish so much: civil rights, free enterprise, equal opportunity, and liberal democracy. They're values that have helped so many in this nation, and they're values that could help so many across the world. They're values, that our president should be seeking to spread, not keep for ourselves. They're the values that I love as an American. And as an American who loves these values, I believe that they need to be promoted by the white house once more." Faulkner took a short breath, noting that many were now in full attention, and whispering among themselves. He took a deep breath, smiled and continued.

"They're the values I will fight for, for the rest of my life. Its these values, which I must reiterate are: civil rights, free enterprise, equal opportunity, and liberal democracy, which have inspired me over the last few months, to make a decision. I have decided to put forward my name, to seek the Democratic nomination for the Presidency of our once-glorious United States, and together, we can bring back the America, that made the modern world, while simultaneously, bringing that America forward." he paused to allow for the crowd to cheer him on. He took Cooke's advice. Sell polices, don't be specific, but make it sound good.

"Thank you, thank you... I have set my sights on the oval office, and I will do everything in my power, to sit down behind that desk, and begin working to improve this country. Tell your friends, tell your family, the Democratic Party of Kennedy, Clinton, Obama, O'Connor... the Democratic Party that promotes American global leadership abroad, and equal opportunity, liberty, and justice at home, is back in action, and ready for business. Let us come together as a country, and better ourselves, irrespective of party affiliation. Thank you everybody! I will Bring Back Leadership, and Bring Back America! God bless our United States!"
Neoconservative

Convallaria
Envoy

Founded: Aug 17, 2017
Capitalizt

Postby Convallaria » Sun May 13, 2018 5:50 pm

Int. Santa Fe International Airport Gate. Night

Light piano music resonates in the large American Airlines First-Class Lounge at the Airport Gate. Various travellers and suited business people quietly talk in a nearby bar. The sandy foot-hills of the Sandia Mountains are now almost completely silhouetted by the setting sun in the distance.

Ginger and her Campaign Manager, Robbie are each in chairs facing each other while holding paper cups of coffee overlooking the terminal below. Robbie is uninterested in the view, but rather in typing away on a laptop.

"You know, I really do appreciate this," ginger begins, promptly taking a sip of coffee after. She checks the color of her nails in the light. It is excellent. A perfect shade of blue. "I know that I don't always say that enough some times. I don't always listen."

Robbie, now interested, closes the laptop and shifts his attention. "Let's not get into that now, if I wasn't sure you appreciated me, I would have left you in Albuquerque," he responds with a chuckle. "What's important now is putting this together. After all, Iowa is a new State, different people. They're not going to be familiar with you or how you relate to them. You're gonna really need to sell it, you're gonna need to sell it everywhere. But you already know this. All of Iowa is going to be listening attentively, and if you don't even have the right spunk for them, well...you know how it ends," he explains.

Ginger nods soberly, but confidently. She is not intimidated by this idea.

"I can handle it, there's no doubt whatsoever in me," she notes while examining the noticeable white tan line on her ring finger. "It'll be over in the blink of an eye -- and, the next thing you know, we'll be in another state. Before hand, I wouldn't have been so optimistic, but you've really assembled a good team," she says with a smile. "How is the publicity working out?"

"I'm glad you asked, it's slow, but very encouraging," he starts. "We got you into TIME, and most newspapers in the midwest are writing smaller political articles in regards to you. The big part is acquiring air time for commercials, which is doable...yes...but will take time; maybe two weeks."

"Believe me, you're doing fine Robbie, just keep up the good work," Ginger says while motioning a clap.

"Right now, we should just let my guys focus on that, in the meantime, Des Moines is our goal, which provided you play your cards right, should go smoothly. Keep your structured, direct look going, it works well," Rob says to her while formulating a relaxed position in his chair to emphasize his point.

"Maybe when you're running for mayor; at least then, it’s all people you share a city with, who know the same streets, but president is a different game, you said this to me yourself Robbie, you can't deny it," ginger responds.

"I also know that you are committed to this, and that you don't scare easily. I've known you for twenty years, and I can see when you aren't going to abandon your principles," he sympathizes to her while taking off his glasses.

"I think you know me better than I know myself at this point..." she giggles.

"I do, which is why I'M your campaign manager..." he begins laughing too. A loud, audible chime sounds suddenly and a voice on the intercom starts.

"Good Evening, this is a pre-boarding call for flight 728 to Des Moines. Passengers on this flight should now proceed to Gate 13B for pre-boarding."

Ginger lifts herself from the seat and throws the coffee into a trash can. "Well, that's us...let's move."
"Convallaria: A sprawling sun-soaked dreamscape silhouetted far beyond the ethereal horizons of austere morality and petty mediocrity. But behind the sterile flights of state-sanctioned-fancy lies a paradise lost...a land of milk, honey and sex turned rancid in the sun, as the harshly held colonial disciplines of a bygone era yield to the temptations of society's nighttime fragrances..."

Welcome to the smokey, monochromatic bacchanalia of deco noire and diesel-fueled death traps!

Daily-Trumpet: Circus elephant force-fed crate of tobacco - has escaped into Joaquin River Valley earlier today. | Avalonia suburbs in grip of worst dust storm ever recorded - schools closed - roads blocked - farms blown away. | Dowager actress found dead in Montecorvina

Helowi
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Helowi » Sun May 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Gareth B. Wright at Interview with Ronan Farrow
Gareth B. Wright has just gotten off of the airport. He was tired, after he thought he was having an interview in St. Paul, it turned out to be an interview in the big apple. He was getting into a car at the airport, shaking hands with some press people and cracking some jokes. Once he was in the car, he took a nice swing of coffee. The jet lag had gotten to him and he needed all the energy he has for this interview/.

The car was driving down the road, Wright occasionally picked some conversation with the driver, but not that much. Then, he finally saw it. 30 Rockefeller Plaza, the place hat was going to make our break this campaign for him.

Wright entered the plaza and went up to the floor he was supposed to be. He got into a place where he was getting makeup ready and making sure he looked as spotty as possible. He asked an aid to get him coffee. He rushed wuickly to the coffee machine and was able to get some coffee in less than 15 minutes. He took his time with the coffee and before he knew it, he was ready to meat Farrow.

Wright jumped up and got to his office, he had a quick introduction and made some small talk. He talked about how much he honored his work with Weinstein and his honorable Pulitzer. Farrow then looked at the clock and said that it was about time to start the interview…

Cainesland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2014
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cainesland » Sun May 13, 2018 8:02 pm

After the State of the Union Address, Theodore approached his office. Inside, a bust of Cato the younger - known moral roman senator and thorn in the side of Julius Ceasar, and Cicero - known Roman Senator and lawyer, were also available inside his office. A grandfather clock on the side of the wall said 5:30 pm. He grabbed his bags and made his way to the elevator. Along the way he could see pictures of the former Republican leaders.

The elevator music playing would sound similar to hard days night from the Beatles. On his way out he would say goodbye to the security and hail a cab, taking the taxi cab to the airport. At the washington airfield, he had a small personal aircraft that he was licensed to fly, having gained his license in the US Airforce. That afternoon he would make his way to Des Moines, Iowa to participate in the first round of Candidate selection. Once this event takes place he would know who he was running against officially. That night he would retire to a hotel room.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse