NATION

PASSWORD

The all-purpose NBA thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

The all-purpose NBA thread

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed May 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Seeing as football has a general thread, and the only basketball thread is a dead one from last year, I've decided to get proactive. Welcome to the all-purpose NBA thread.

Your talky place for all things basketball. Like how much no one wants to see another GS-Cleveland finals and such. Go nuts.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:02 pm, edited 16 times in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri May 11, 2018 9:30 am

The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 11, 2018 10:29 am

Creating it now when their down to the final four maybe isn't the best timing for longevity.

Then again, I feel like basketball season lasts sixteen months so it's already back.

I am a Sacramento Kings guy by virtue of proximity of my upbringing and Warriors by the transitive property of all my friends are Warriors fans and I lived in the Bay Area just about as long as Sacramento. But otherwise I honestly don't care. If I were to care about sportsball, basketball would be the sportsball I would most likely be into. I don't mind watching a basketball game even though I often have no idea what's going on and it baffles me that they call what the various people do different positions because they just seem to mash about all over the place. It's still entertaining, I just have expended no energy into caring.

But go Warriors. And Kings, enjoy your shorter work year.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Fri May 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Creating it now when their down to the final four maybe isn't the best timing for longevity.

Then again, I feel like basketball season lasts sixteen months so it's already back.

I am a Sacramento Kings guy by virtue of proximity of my upbringing and Warriors by the transitive property of all my friends are Warriors fans and I lived in the Bay Area just about as long as Sacramento. But otherwise I honestly don't care. If I were to care about sportsball, basketball would be the sportsball I would most likely be into. I don't mind watching a basketball game even though I often have no idea what's going on and it baffles me that they call what the various people do different positions because they just seem to mash about all over the place. It's still entertaining, I just have expended no energy into caring.

But go Warriors. And Kings, enjoy your shorter work year.

Yeah, thread timing has never been my strong suit. But hey, it'll be here for next season and on. And we still got some playoffs to yammer about.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Bendicion
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2012
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bendicion » Sat May 12, 2018 7:06 pm

The Kings still have fans??

Myghash, they've been like stuck rebuilding mode ever since.The front office is just stupid tbh, and their draft picks turn our to only be busts or mediocre players. Im pretty sure they're trash.

Like talking about history and dreaming of Rome. Join now our Discord server and enlist in the legions

Author of ‘Ben was here o/‘
Self Proclaimed Server Hamster
♖ Sic Parvis Magna ♖
From Small Beginnings, Great Things

>>> BENDICION | A STORY KEPT SAFE <<<

NS Issues Work Bench
I like quiet | I hate insensitivity | Perseverance is my drug
Chaotic Sparkles,c.2023 wrote:this was just one hamster that took on the world and that hamster has now been maintained as governor.
The Sapientia, c.2014 wrote:”You'll be back. Once you start , you can never stop”
LWU gtrf0129 c. 2022 wrote:This raid was so powerful that the power went out in my house lol

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat May 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Bendicion wrote:The Kings still have fans??

Myghash, they've been like stuck rebuilding mode ever since.The front office is just stupid tbh, and their draft picks turn our to only be busts or mediocre players. Im pretty sure they're trash.

You only see Kings fans when they threaten to move the team somewhere else.
Last edited by Ameriganastan on Sat May 12, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Sat May 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Of course. The LA Kings have plenty of fans :P
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Bendicion
Minister

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bendicion » Sun May 13, 2018 5:42 am

Ameriganastan wrote:

You only see Kings fans when they threaten to move the team somewhere else.

You got a point.

The Kings are just bad, maybe cause their front office is uncapable of handling basketball operations or that theyre bad at developing players.

In other discussions. Cavs win in 6 games.

Like talking about history and dreaming of Rome. Join now our Discord server and enlist in the legions

♖ Sic Parvis Magna ♖

NS Issues Work Bench
Chaotic Sparkles,c.2023 wrote:this was just one hamster that took on the world and that hamster has now been maintained as governor.
The Sapientia, c.2014 wrote:”You'll be back. Once you start , you can never stop”
LWU gtrf0129 c. 2022 wrote:This raid was so powerful that the power went out in my house lol

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sun May 13, 2018 5:53 am

That's not exactly great. I think that Casey moved the Raptors forward in more ways than one, and firing him might not have been the best strategy.
Bendicion wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:You only see Kings fans when they threaten to move the team somewhere else.

You got a point.

The Kings are just bad, maybe cause their front office is uncapable of handling basketball operations or that theyre bad at developing players.

It'll be Rockets on Cavs this time around.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Sun May 13, 2018 5:58 am

Just dropping in to say:

"WOO! GO THUNDER! WE SUCK AND WILL NEVER AMOUNT TO ANYTHING!"

That is all.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sun May 13, 2018 6:03 am

Idzequitch wrote:Just dropping in to say:

That is all.

The Thunder were once great. Now, they are cornhusks of their former selves. (Get it? Cornhusks? Oklahoma?) But anyway. ever since their players had been injured, their coaching stank worse than shit, and the fans went away, they're done.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun May 13, 2018 7:35 am

Idzequitch wrote:Just dropping in to say:

That is all.

That's what happens when you name your team after a loud but ultimately harmless noise.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Bendicion
Minister

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bendicion » Sun May 13, 2018 8:21 am

The South Falls wrote:

That's not exactly great. I think that Casey moved the Raptors forward in more ways than one, and firing him might not have been the best strategy.
Bendicion wrote:You got a point.

It'll be Rockets on Cavs this time around.

Nah, the Rockets will choke.They will lose to warriors in 5 games.

Cavs will prevail over celts in 6.

Warriors repeat as champions

♖ Sic Parvis Magna ♖

NS Issues Work Bench

95X
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: NSG NBA Thread

Postby 95X » Sun May 13, 2018 8:52 am

We've had NBA threads before in NSG, the last one ran for a while but seems to have fizzled out.

I grew up in Portland during the Clyde Drexler era of the Trail Blazers (yes, that long ago) and even though I still try to follow some of the teams despite no subscription video service, IMO there's a culmination of the factors "NBA on ABC/ESPN"/LaBron James/change in the style of sports reporting that just makes it not as good these days.
Ameriganastan wrote:Like how much no one wants to see another GS-Cleveland finals and such.
Again IMO, sums the current state of things up nicely.
Ameriganastan wrote:Dwane Casey's job is extinct.
Sigh. Toronto being my favorite Eastern Conference team there's not much denying he's helped the Raptors transition from being a "post-expansion also-ran" team to what they are now.
Ameriganastan wrote:You only see Kings fans when they threaten to move the team somewhere else.
Sacramento's best chance was back in 2002, and the Lakers/Kings Western Conference Finals is a prime example of "how not to officiate a sports game". I was pulling for Sacramento back then, too.
The South Falls wrote:The Thunder were once great.
More like the Seattle Sonics were great, instead of getting an expansion team populated with expansion draft players that flounders for years, Oklahoma City got an established franchise with decades of history and quality players. Again just strictly IMHO though.
Nation not my RL views, etc.
Poe's Law. Nonpartisan.
Is it sad that some I learned AO4LIFE from are no longer in Atlantian Oceania?
“An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.”—Niels Bohr
‘Everyone makes mistakes, that's why they put erasers at the end of pencils.’—Bob Monkhouse paraphrase
“If you want to read books, read books.”—Dennis James
AOCAF 22 & 47 Champions! • Volleyball World Expo 1, 2, 4, 7 & 9 Champions!

Partybus
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Partybus » Sun May 13, 2018 10:25 am

I did not expect Boston to go beyond Philly, even when they were up 3/0...and that is, as a Celtics fan... I actually met Robert Parrish, had a fantastic conversation... about basketball? No. About the Grateful Dead, he loved them! Parish, Bird, McHale, and good old Bill Walton, who brought them all to multiple shows... Jerry bless them :) ...so, short story long, I hope the Celtics surprise again...

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sun May 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Partybus wrote:I did not expect Boston to go beyond Philly, even when they were up 3/0...and that is, as a Celtics fan... I actually met Robert Parrish, had a fantastic conversation... about basketball? No. About the Grateful Dead, he loved them! Parish, Bird, McHale, and good old Bill Walton, who brought them all to multiple shows... Jerry bless them :) ...so, short story long, I hope the Celtics surprise again...

How does a 108-83 win rank on your surprise meter?
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun May 13, 2018 4:29 pm

1. When your next nearest team is a two hour drive and parking in Oakland away, that's your team.
2. If you're a Kings fan, no one thinks you're faking it. It takes nothing to be a fan of a good team. If you're a fan of only good teams, I have no time for you. You are stimulus response. "I like the team that wins all the time..." bah. Away with you. You want to be a fan, you want to be someone who roots for your team...be a fan of a team that sucks. Buy the jersey of the fourth round draft pick that didn't sign the short contract so he could leave in two years for a team with more money and a chance. Wear it while your team half asses the last couple games so they'll finish last and get a better draft pick. When someone goes "Why are you a fan of them?" you can stand proud and say, "Bitch, that's what being a real fan is about!"
3. Also, I don't care (you might have picked that up from the rest of the post). I don't follow basketball I just occasionally I like seeing my home area mentioned without it being followed by someone complaining about a new law.
4. Sac loves the Kings enough to elect a player mayor. They just hate the Real Housewives owners...previous? Pretty sure previous. Didn't Shaq buy part of the team at some point back when they were blackmailing the city into building them like a third or fourth arena...motherfuckers, what do you need out of a box to hold people, how many of these fucking things do we gotta build?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Partybus
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Partybus » Mon May 14, 2018 9:00 am

Ameriganastan wrote:
Partybus wrote:I did not expect Boston to go beyond Philly, even when they were up 3/0...and that is, as a Celtics fan... I actually met Robert Parrish, had a fantastic conversation... about basketball? No. About the Grateful Dead, he loved them! Parish, Bird, McHale, and good old Bill Walton, who brought them all to multiple shows... Jerry bless them :) ...so, short story long, I hope the Celtics surprise again...

How does a 108-83 win rank on your surprise meter?

With that one? I think my surprise meter went askew on treadle (nobody expects etc) quite honestly!

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon May 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Someone give Houston the Heimlich. Cause it looks like they're choking...
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue May 15, 2018 6:52 pm

Phoenix landed the #1 pick in the draft lottery. Their first ever.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Tue May 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:Phoenix landed the #1 pick in the draft lottery. Their first ever.

That's the problem with being good at basketball. When you're the #1 pick, you always go to the crappiest teams! The Suns are as bad as the 76ers use to be.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue May 15, 2018 6:58 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Ameriganastan wrote:Phoenix landed the #1 pick in the draft lottery. Their first ever.

That's the problem with being good at basketball. When you're the #1 pick, you always go to the crappiest teams! The Suns are as bad as the 76ers use to be.

Isn't that true of all sports? Worst teams get the best players in the draft.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Ameriganastan wrote:
The South Falls wrote:That's the problem with being good at basketball. When you're the #1 pick, you always go to the crappiest teams! The Suns are as bad as the 76ers use to be.

Isn't that true of all sports? Worst teams get the best players in the draft.

It's better to be mediocre than to be great, when it comes to drafting sports. Or, be mediocre at first, then become great.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Wed May 16, 2018 1:45 am

The South Falls wrote:

But the Sixers have shown that you can eventually claw your way out of the bottom. As long as you don't suck at drafting with your high picks like the Browns in the NFL.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Wed May 16, 2018 1:48 am

Can you please convince this British Rockets fan that his team has a chance of beating warriors?
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General