NATION

PASSWORD

Britain to cut off life support of infant Alfie Evans soon

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:10 pm

Nulla Bellum wrote:we've reached my limit for tolerance for dishonest debaters. You'd probably default to a claim of impoliteness if we turned the discussion towards why you'd inexplicably object to being considered ill-equipped for intellectual discussion, so maybe pipe up again when we need to know what windows taste like.

You are the one that has persistently lied on this thread, so that's rich coming from you...
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:11 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Auralia wrote:I'm not sure if they absolutely ruled out the possibility of a cure -- it sounded like they thought it was very unlikely, but wanted to keep an open mind..

Seriously Auralia, are you still beating that drum? I thought we'd already established that you cannot cure a brain that has turned to mush.

Our understanding of how the human brain works is profoundly limited. We cannot explain how a child who was born with only 2% of functioning brain tissue and was only expected to live for weeks somehow managed to pull through anyways and is now going to school.

Alfie himself was supposed to die once the UK doctors pulled him off life support. Yet he kept on breathing anyways, and the doctors were forced to give him some oxygen and hydration. You know, it's quite extraordinary how "mush" and "water" can apparently continue to operate and maintain Alfie's cardio-pulmonary system. It has been suggested that the drugs Alfie is on have "suppressed thalamic connections in the brain, thus giving the false impression that much of his brain is gone."

To claim that it is "impossible" for Alfie to recover is just arrogance. Relativity and quantum physics were "impossible" once, too.
Last edited by Auralia on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:11 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Nulla Bellum wrote:we've reached my limit for tolerance for dishonest debaters. You'd probably default to a claim of impoliteness if we turned the discussion towards why you'd inexplicably object to being considered ill-equipped for intellectual discussion, so maybe pipe up again when we need to know what windows taste like.

You are the one that has persistently lied on this thread, so that's rich coming from you...

Okay, that's enough.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:15 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Nulla Bellum wrote:
Yes, different countries work differently than the United States. That doesn't remove the judicial branch of the British government from the British government.

Should Alfie's parents defy courts orders, are we going to see judges with robes and wigs come after them with a gavel? Or will law enforcement and other sectors of the British government get involved?

After all of the flailing personal attacks, we've reached my limit for tolerance for dishonest debaters. You'd probably default to a claim of impoliteness if we turned the discussion towards why you'd inexplicably object to being considered ill-equipped for intellectual discussion, so maybe pipe up again when we need to know what windows taste like.

Have a nice day.

So it seems that asking for supporting evidence is dishonest debating.

Do we really need evidence that claiming the judiciary is not a branch of the British government is not blithering idiocy?
Replying to posts addressed to you is harrassment.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:15 pm

Auralia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Seriously Auralia, are you still beating that drum? I thought we'd already established that you cannot cure a brain that has turned to mush.

Our understanding of how the human brain works is profoundly limited. We cannot explain how a child who was born with only 2% of functioning brain tissue and was only expected to live for weeks somehow managed to pull through anyways and is now going to school.

Alfie himself was supposed to die once the UK doctors pulled him off life support. Yet he kept on breathing anyways, and the doctors were forced to give him some oxygen and hydration. You know, it's quite extraordinary how "mush" and "water" can apparently continue to operate and maintain Alfie's cardio-pulmonary system. It has been suggested that the drugs Alfie is on have "suppressed thalamic connections in the brain, thus giving the false impression that much of his brain is gone."

To claim that it is "impossible" for Alfie to recover is just arrogance. Relativity and quantum physics were "impossible" once, too.

Do you have anything that doesn't come from one Christian wingnut's blog? Or an explanation for how "suppressed thalamic connections" fools an MRI scan?
Last edited by Vassenor on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Vassenor wrote:Do you have anything that doesn't come from one Christian wingnut's blog? Or an explanation for how "suppressed thalamic connections" fools an MRI scan?

I think the fact that Alfie continued to breathe despite being taken off ventilation, to the shock of his presiding physicians, is itself sufficient evidence to demonstrate that perhaps they don't fully understand what's going on, and that maybe they should let the Italians take over.
Last edited by Auralia on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Auralia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:Do you have anything that doesn't come from one Christian wingnut's blog? Or an explanation for how "suppressed thalamic connections" fools an MRI scan?

I think the fact that Alfie continued to breathe despite being taken off ventilation, to the shock of his presiding physicians, is itself sufficient evidence to demonstrate that perhaps they don't fully understand what's going on, and that maybe they should let the Italians take over.

Even though the Italians have stated that they would only be offering the same level palliative care that he currently receives and that he would be unlikely to survive the trip.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Nulla Bellum
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nulla Bellum » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Auralia wrote:Our understanding of how the human brain works is profoundly limited. We cannot explain how a child who was born with only 2% of functioning brain tissue and was only expected to live for weeks somehow managed to pull through anyways and is now going to school.

Do you have anything that doesn't come from one Christian wingnut's blog? Or an explanation for how "suppressed thalamic connections" fools an MRI scan?

I was wondering when the close-minded "your source refutes muh argument so its biased!" dance would begin.

Does anyone know when Alfie's brain deterioration was first noticed while the doctors were stuck on "bronchitis" for months?
Replying to posts addressed to you is harrassment.

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:25 pm

Nulla Bellum wrote:
Ifreann wrote:The judiciary isn't a branch of the British government. There isn't even such a thing as the British judiciary, the UK has multiple legal systems, each with their own judiciary, in addition to courts with UK-wide jurisdiction.

Different countries work differently from the United States. You should already know this.

Yes, different countries work differently than the United States. That doesn't remove the judicial branch of the British government from the British government.

Should Alfie's parents defy courts orders, are we going to see judges with robes and wigs come after them with a gavel? Or will law enforcement and other sectors of the British government get involved?

After all of the flailing personal attacks, we've reached my limit for tolerance for dishonest debaters. You'd probably default to a claim of impoliteness if we turned the discussion towards why you'd inexplicably object to being considered ill-equipped for intellectual discussion, so maybe pipe up again when we need to know what windows taste like.

Have a nice day.

https://www.gov.uk/government/how-government-works

Would you like to point out where exactly the courts are run by the government?
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:27 pm

Okay, folks, I think we're done here. This is becoming a circular "You're wrong!" "No, you!" argument. Thread's locked and we'll not look kindly on a continuation.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General