NATION

PASSWORD

The Stars Fell To Thee (A Sci Fi/Space Opera RP. (IC)) OPEN

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
United Human Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

The Stars Fell To Thee (A Sci Fi/Space Opera RP. (IC)) OPEN

Postby United Human Planets » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:51 pm

OOC
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=440850&p=33824518#p33824518

Tiau System, Lia Lin City Space Port,
Isra Daoud, Ship captain and smuggler,
Valenten Petrov, Outcast lordling.

A young man and a young woman were waiting besides a small ship, scanning the crowds in front of them. They were an odd pair, and under any circumstances did not seem like they would be the types to ever interact. The young man was dark haired and pale skinned, and wore beautiful clothes and wore a pin the announced he was a member of a noble house in the Core Systems. He looked elegant and refined. His companion on the other hand, was not. She was wiry and wore a faded cloak and a garish shirt underneath. On her hip she wore a pistol, and she stared around smiling like an idiot, as if she was simply happy to be anywhere.

Of the two of them however, she was clearly the one who was more at home in their environment. She moved easily and with a certain grace, and clearly was used to the movement of a space port. Her companion watched her judgingly, and watched all of the people around him judgingly, and minced as he stepped as if he was trying to not taint himself with the masses of humanity around himself. He was named Valentin, and his companion was Isra. They were archaeologists. Or at least, that's what he was trying to one day be. Isra just owned the ship and he payed her.

As they waited, Isra had pulled a beach chair out of the ship and was lounging in it, and making silly faces at children who she made eye contact with. Half of them laughed happily, and the other half were pulled away by their parents, who gave Isra dirty looks. She didn't care. When there were no children to make faces at, she occasionally whistled, and occasionally tried to make conversation with Valentin. He was rarely very receptive, and most of his responses were in single syllable words. And so she simply shrugged and went back into her own little world. It didnt matter much to her, and underneath her carefree exterior she was constantly calculating. Howe much could she make off this pompous little lordling? How important was the expedition really to him? How pretentious was he, to think that Whisthall would ever fund an expedition for a student of Old Earth, and how desperate was he to truly make this expedition happen. All of it played into her mind, and every detail was turned over in her head.

Her thinking was interrupted when Valentin suddenly spoke, his voice coming as more of a snap, as if the situation at hand was somehow her fault. "What in the hell could be taking them so long?" he said, his voice tight with frustration.

Isra looked at him, and tried to make up her mind about how she should take this sudden outburst. "Its a half hour before we told them was the best time to be here Valentin," she said.

"Anyone who's anyone knows that when someone tells you to be somewhere at a certain time, what that really means is be there a half hour early, and yet none of them are here,a half hour early, as is proper," he responded.

Isra paused, and gave him a look of confused humor. "I dont think I follow," she said.

"Im simply speaking of proper etiquette," he said. "Though I dont know why Im trying to explain something like this to a spacer, why you would have any understanding is beyond me."

"Pfft," laughed Isra, "Did you just call me trashy in rich kid?"

"No, I simply stated that you have no understanding of etiquette, not that you are trashy," said Valentin, straightening his back as if he was preparing to accept a duel. "If I was calling you trashy, I would have said so to your face as is proper to do, not try and trick you into thinking otherwise."

"Hmmph," said Isra.

The conversation halted, and the two went back to staring at the crown. Isra started whistling, and Valentin stood brooding to himself. He didn't like the situation he was in, having to fund an expedition out of his own pocket, and having to rely on people who were dubiously professional. He was fairly certain that the woman he had hired to transport him was in fact a criminal, and there was no telling what sort of horror stories the other people he had been forced to hire might hide. As far as he was concerned, it was absurd that the University had not agreed to give him a grant for this expedition. Something like this, as mysterious and inexplicable as it was, coming from an ancient text from Old Earth, was more than worth sending a few archaeologists and body guards and a well equipped ship for. And yet, here he was, waiting for a group of unknowns, preparing to be flown around the galaxy in what was little more than a glorified freighter. He didn't even have his own room, having had to hang a hammock in a corner of the cargo bay. It felt shameful to him.

But, it was what it was. This expedition was likely to be a defining moment in Valentin's future if it was successful, and even if nothing came of it, it would prove that he had what it took to organize an expedition like it in the future. If he had to sleep in a hammock and cavort around with a group of undesirables, it was worth it. And so, he went into the cargo hold and brought out a box, and sat straight backed and proper, to wait for the members of the crew he had put together.
Last edited by United Human Planets on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brusia
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Brusia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:36 am

Dr. Theanor Jarak
Tiau System
Lia Lin City Spaceport

As he moved about through the crowded spaceport, Dr. Theanor Jarak peered over and around the meandering groups of people in an attempt to spot the berth where he had been instructed to meet with his new employers. Though he'd grown somewhat accustomed to these sorts of crowded, disorganized areas in his recent travels, the constant loud noises in such places still irritated him, and at this point the thought of taking a ship back out to the quiet vacuum of space was growing more and more appealing. It took abit more searching, but eventually he found the ship he was looking for and began to approach the two humans seated in front of it.

While he was still not terribly familiar with human naming conventions, it wasn't too difficult to guess which of the two was likely the ship's Captain and which was the expedition's financier; if the clothing wasn't enough to give it away, their respective attitudes certainly was. For his part, Theanor's elegant and durable Quihansu clothing more closely resembled the financier's outfit, while his more humble disposition looked closer to that of the Captain's. As he broke from the crowd and stood in front of the two, Theanor politely and gracefully bowed his head then gave a traditional Quihansu greeting: "Jolan'suila, I am Dr. Theanor Jarak; I believe I was hired to serve as the physician for this vessel." He shifted the duffel bag currently hanging from a strap on his shoulder a little before asking: "Are you Captain Daoud and Mr. Petrov?"

Northern Poland
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Poland » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:37 am

Nikolas Jepsen P.Eng
Tiau System
Lia Lin City Space Port
30 Minutes Prior
Nikolas stands on a Hovertrain, waiting for it to stop at the certain area that the ship would be near. The Automated Voice Says, "Eastern Docks, Opening." He gets out, and is approached by two Guards. They ask for I.D, and he shows it. They say, "Move along" and they hand it back. He walks to the main floor.

Nikolas walks through a large crowd in the space port, he bumps into someone and says "Sorry!" He is usual to crowded areas, but he has been in 3 spaceports today, because New Copenhagen is on a planet far away. He spent a good bit of money to get here, and he hopes he can get it back. He arrives at the docks, looking for the ship that the person said to go to. He looks around, seeing some larger ships, "Probably Cruise ships or something" he thinks.He had left his cat at home with his girlfriend, Not the one that had cheated on him though. He sees the ship, and 3 people standing around it. He begins to walk over, and he hears one of them talking. He waits until it finishes then says, "Hey, I volunteered to be the Engineer aboard the ship?"
Last edited by Northern Poland on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kawaii Seals wrote:SWEET NECTAR OF THE GODS

Zapatha
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Zapatha » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Well then, that ship seems a little old. Rudy thought as he approached the docking station where their ship awaited its incoming crew. He was about half an hour early, give or take and seemed that he had arrived at almost the same time as some of the other crewmates. All he carried were two duffle bags, his backpack and a special case for his shiny new prototype sniper rifle. Hopefully this expedition wouldn't require his usage of them however the space they were going through was known for its lawlessness and pirate activity.

The captain herself was of ambiguous background, as he could've sworn he recognized her face on wanted boards at the regular mercenary watering holes in the outer systems of the Confederacy and some Hegemony spots. The kid looked almost as if he hadn't seen mercenaries or smugglers before, and he had a hint of indignation on his face.

Maybe you should've considered what kind of people you were hiring little lord. he said to himself before walking up to the captain and the lord

"Reporting for duty." he said, before extending his hand to the captain. "I just want to let you know you're hiring the right merc for the job here, you can't really hire any better than me."

United Human Planets
Ambassador

Postby United Human Planets » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:34 pm

Brusia wrote:Dr. Theanor Jarak
Tiau System
Lia Lin City Spaceport

As he moved about through the crowded spaceport, Dr. Theanor Jarak peered over and around the meandering groups of people in an attempt to spot the berth where he had been instructed to meet with his new employers. Though he'd grown somewhat accustomed to these sorts of crowded, disorganized areas in his recent travels, the constant loud noises in such places still irritated him, and at this point the thought of taking a ship back out to the quiet vacuum of space was growing more and more appealing. It took abit more searching, but eventually he found the ship he was looking for and began to approach the two humans seated in front of it.

While he was still not terribly familiar with human naming conventions, it wasn't too difficult to guess which of the two was likely the ship's Captain and which was the expedition's financier; if the clothing wasn't enough to give it away, their respective attitudes certainly was. For his part, Theanor's elegant and durable Quihansu clothing more closely resembled the financier's outfit, while his more humble disposition looked closer to that of the Captain's. As he broke from the crowd and stood in front of the two, Theanor politely and gracefully bowed his head then gave a traditional Quihansu greeting: "Jolan'suila, I am Dr. Theanor Jarak; I believe I was hired to serve as the physician for this vessel." He shifted the duffel bag currently hanging from a strap on his shoulder a little before asking: "Are you Captain Daoud and Mr. Petrov?"

Isra Daoud,
Valentin Petrov,
Tiau System, Los Lin City Spaceport.

At the arrival of the Quihansu man, and following his greeting, Isra quickly jumped to her feet, and bowed awkwardly but in a way that was friendly, before saying, "yes, that would be us. I'm Captain Daoud, but please, you can call me Isra, my first name." She turned and looked at Valentin, smiling brightly, saying "see Valentin, we're not all a bunch of uncivilized slobs here in space. People know the right time to arrive at."

Valentin didn't say anything, just simply stood, and bowed gracefully in one smooth, practiced motion, and responded to Dr Jarak with a returned "Jolan'suila," before straightening out and extending his hand in the traditional human greeting. "It is wonderful that you have arrived on time, and safely," he said. Through it all, his face was impassive, before he looked over at Isra and said "as far as I am concerned, Captain, just because one man is able to conduct himself properly does not mean they all will be. I've seen the type of people you like to cavort around with, and I am far from approving." He turned back to Dr Jarak again and said, "You may call me either Valentin or Mr Petrov, which ever you may prefer. And how may we address you?"

Northern Poland wrote: Nickolas Whitt P.Eng
Tiau System
Lia Lin City Space Port
30 Minutes Prior
Nickolas stands on a Hovertrain, waiting for it to stop at the certain area that the ship would be near. The Automated Voice Says, "Eastern Docks, Opening." He gets out, and is approached by two Guards. They ask for I.D, and he shows it. They say, "Move along" and they hand it back. He walks to the main floor.

Nickolas walks through a large crowd in the space port, he bumps into someone and says "Sorry!" He is usual to crowded areas, but he has been in 3 spaceports today, because New Copenhagen is on a planet far away. He spent a good bit of money to get here, and he hopes he can get it back. He arrives at the docks, looking for the ship that the person said to go to. He looks around, seeing some larger ships, "Probably Cruise ships or something" he thinks.He had left his cat at home with his girlfriend, Not the one that had cheated on him though. He sees the ship, and 3 people standing around it. He begins to walk over, and he hears one of them talking. He waits until it finishes then says, "Hey, I volunteered to be the Engineer aboard the ship?"

As Valentin spoke with Dr Jarak, Isra watched as a second man approached, who seemed to be at once both exhausted and stressed out, and she could tell that he had been travelling for quite a while to get where he was now. He made his way over, and stated that he had volunteered as an engineer on the ship. Isra stuck her hand out to him, and said, "that you have. My name is Isra, I'm the captain of the Valen Sky, this beautiful ship we have behind us," she gestured at her old, beat up freighter. It was not beautiful. "And that dour man in the fancy clothes," she continued, pointing at Valentin, "is the one paying for all of this. Don't let him fool you, he wants you to think he's a pompous lords son, and he is, but he's not all bad."

Valentin grunted at Isra, and turned to briefly shake Nikolas's hand. "Good afternoon, pleased to make your acquaintance. . ."

He paused, and Isra said, "this is our engineer."

"Nikolas then," finished Valentin.

Zapatha wrote:Well then, that ship seems a little old. Rudy thought as he approached the docking station where their ship awaited its incoming crew. He was about half an hour early, give or take and seemed that he had arrived at almost the same time as some of the other crewmates. All he carried were two duffle bags, his backpack and a special case for his shiny new prototype sniper rifle. Hopefully this expedition wouldn't require his usage of them however the space they were going through was known for its lawlessness and pirate activity.

The captain herself was of ambiguous background, as he could've sworn he recognized her face on wanted boards at the regular mercenary watering holes in the outer systems of the Confederacy and some Hegemony spots. The kid looked almost as if he hadn't seen mercenaries or smugglers before, and he had a hint of indignation on his face.

Maybe you should've considered what kind of people you were hiring little lord. he said to himself before walking up to the captain and the lord

"Reporting for duty." he said, before extending his hand to the captain. "I just want to let you know you're hiring the right merc for the job here, you can't really hire any better than me."

Isra turned to the third man, grinned at him, then turned to Valentin and said, "see what I'm saying? Your getting all worked up over there because the crew i put together wasn't here exactly a half hour before you said they shod be here because it was 'proper,' and now look, their all here right on time."

Valentin didn't respond, and Isra turned back to Rudy. "Mr Williams, please excuse him, he doesn't thin he's better than you, he just thinks he know more than all of us combined. I'm Captain Daoud, but you can just call me Isra, please." She held out her hand to shake. "It's a pleasure to have you along for the ride with us."

Brusia
Senator

Postby Brusia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Dr. Theanor Jarak
Tiau System
Lia Lin City Spaceport

The good doctor grinned as the Captain rather awkwardly returned his bow and nodded when she instructed him to call her by her first name; though the old soldier in him knew that that was going to take some getting used to. Before he could respond to her, the financier greeted the doctor and extended his hand then stated he was glad that Theanor had arrived on time and safely before introducing himself and asking how they should address him. Fortunately, Theanor had learned of the human "handshake" custom some time ago and knew to shake the man's hand with a fairly firm grip in response before replying: "Thank you Mr. Petrov, you both are welcome to call me Theanor, though Dr. Jarak is fine as well if you prefer the formalities."

Not long after he'd finished speaking, Theanor noticed another crew member had arrived; a human by the name of Nikolas who would evidently be serving as their engineer. Another human arrived a short while later who introduced himself as a mercenary; Theanor figured the man was likely also former military if his manner of reporting in was anything to go by. The doctor overheard Isra refer to him as Mr. Williams, and after she finished speaking Theanor politely bowed his head to the two new arrivals and continued waiting for the rest of the crew...

Rhinocera
Minister

Founded: Apr 15, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Rhinocera » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Mako "Ace" Elikor

The crowd at the spaceport was dense, leaving little room to maneuver across the walkways for an individual of Mako's stature, at first. As he walked towards his destination, humans looked up with looks of fear, disgust, and disdain, sometimes all worn by the same face. For the most part, they scattered out of his way. Mammothok weren't known for their subtlety, nor for being fleet of foot. If they were walking towards something, they wouldn't be the ones to change their course. Mako was no different from other Mammothok in that regard. Frankly, at 13 feet tall and weighing in at a few tons, the parting of the crowd was as much in the name of self preservation for the humans that surrounded him as it was an act of disgust and unfamiliarity.

It took a good bit of walking, but Mako found his way to the freighter that would soon be his home for the immediate future. He didn't recognize the vessel, nor did he know its name, but he recognized the captain and the proprietor. The captain of the vessel was a young woman that he knew and had done business with in the past. Productive and profitable business that ended on positive terms for all parties involved, the ones that mattered at least. The proprietor was a man that he had met, once, and not in person. He had discussed the terms of his hire over holographic communication, and the man seemed to be a snide and condescending individual, dripping in "class" and "properness". In all honesty, a few years ago the only association that Mako would have had with Valenten Petrov would likely have involved a ransom being paid or valuables being "confiscated". Today, however, Mako found himself employed by the "lord". After all, who could pay better than a proper lord? Not many, as a matter of fact. This endeavor would fetch Mako a pretty penny indeed, enough that it almost made Mako forget about his utter distaste for the man, almost, but not quite.

As he reached the aforementioned individuals, he quickly noticed that he was not the amongst the early arrivals. A bit surprising, considering he had arrived precisely when they had asked, but not too unusual. Not being one for a subtle arrival, however, Mako deemed it unnecessary to wait for the conversations at hand to be finished. Mako walked directly behind the party as they spoke with Isra and proceeded to lean over them and speak directly to his former business partner. "I assume this is the rabble we'll be working with for the foreseeable future, an interesting bunch to say the least. Good to see you again." It was safe to assume that Isra would recognize Mako, after all, Mammothok weren't a common sight in these parts and were relatively difficult to mistake for something else. Even if there were others at the spaceport, they would likely be working for the port, and therefore would not likely be wearing a black jacket and light brown pants of an unspecified material while lugging a bag on each shoulder and one strapped to their back. Mako also sported several unmistakeable carvings on his tusks. On the right tusk, carvings of the playing cards representing the Ace of Spades and the Ace of Clubs were clearly visible. On the left tusk, carvings of the Ace of hearts and the ace of diamonds were visible. Tributes to his nickname, which was in turn a tribute to a prominent personality trait of Mako's, his insatiable drive to gamble. Some mistook the name as a less than clever play on his own skill, but the truth was much more straightforward. Big bets, small bets, safe bets, far-off bets, "Ace" made all of them.
Last edited by Rhinocera on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RED STAR HEAVY INDUSTRIES

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=243572

Signatory of The Amistad Declaration on Slavery and the Rights of Man

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98436#p4901606

United Human Planets
Ambassador

Postby United Human Planets » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:48 pm

Rhinocera wrote:Mako "Ace" Elikor

The crowd at the spaceport was dense, leaving little room to maneuver across the walkways for an individual of Mako's stature, at first. As he walked towards his destination, humans looked up with looks of fear, disgust, and disdain, sometimes all worn by the same face. For the most part, they scattered out of his way. Mammothok weren't known for their subtlety, nor for being fleet of foot. If they were walking towards something, they wouldn't be the ones to change their course. Mako was no different from other Mammothok in that regard. Frankly, at 13 feet tall and weighing in at a few tons, the parting of the crowd was as much in the name of self preservation for the humans that surrounded him as it was an act of disgust and unfamiliarity.

It took a good bit of walking, but Mako found his way to the freighter that would soon be his home for the immediate future. He didn't recognize the vessel, nor did he know its name, but he recognized the captain and the proprietor. The captain of the vessel was a young woman that he knew and had done business with in the past. Productive and profitable business that ended on positive terms for all parties involved, the ones that mattered at least. The proprietor was a man that he had met, once, and not in person. He had discussed the terms of his hire over holographic communication, and the man seemed to be a snide and condescending individual, dripping in "class" and "properness". In all honesty, a few years ago the only association that Mako would have had with Valenten Petrov would likely have involved a ransom being paid or valuables being "confiscated". Today, however, Mako found himself employed by the "lord". After all, who could pay better than a proper lord? Not many, as a matter of fact. This endeavor would fetch Mako a pretty penny indeed, enough that it almost made Mako forget about his utter distaste for the man, almost, but not quite.

As he reached the aforementioned individuals, he quickly noticed that he was not the amongst the early arrivals. A bit surprising, considering he had arrived precisely when they had asked, but not too unusual. Not being one for a subtle arrival, however, Mako deemed it unnecessary to wait for the conversations at hand to be finished. Mako walked directly behind the party as they spoke with Isra and proceeded to lean over them and speak directly to his former business partner. "I assume this is the rabble we'll be working with for the foreseeable future, an interesting bunch to say the least. Good to see you again." It was safe to assume that Isra would recognize Mako, after all, Mammothok weren't a common sight in these parts and were relatively difficult to mistake for something else. Even if there were others at the spaceport, they would likely be working for the port, and therefore would not likely be wearing a black jacket and light brown pants of an unspecified material while lugging a bag on each shoulder and one strapped to their back. Mako also sported several unmistakeable carvings on his tusks. On the right tusk, carvings of the playing cards representing the Ace of Spades and the Ace of Clubs were clearly visible. On the left tusk, carvings of the Ace of hearts and the ace of diamonds were visible. Tributes to his nickname, which was in turn a tribute to a prominent personality trait of Mako's, his insatiable drive to gamble. Some mistook the name as a less than clever play on his own skill, but the truth was much more straightforward. Big bets, small bets, safe bets, far-off bets, "Ace" made all of them.

Isra nearly jumped out of her skin when Mako spoke over her shoulder, letting out an undignified shout at being startled. She had not seen him coming, and was not prepared for him to seemingly materialize over her right shoulder like he had. She fell over on her knees after coming down from the air, and scrabble away from Mako before she recognised him. "Fuck me Mako," she said, "You scared the living shit out of me."

She began to pull herself up from the ground, waving away Valentins hand when he reached to help her up. "You could have made it more clear you were here instead of scarring me like that." Isra looked up at Mako, cleaning her neck to be able to look him in the eyes. He was taller than she remembered, and he had always been tall since she had met him. He towered over the rest of the group, and suddenly she found herself worried about him fitting into the ship.

"Anyways, yeah," she said, getting her wits about her again and brushing off hee pants. "These are some of the people I've hired for the expedition. We're still waiting on a couple of people, but we're just about all here." She quickly grabbed Valentin by the shoulder and brought him over before continuing. "Mako, this is Mr Petrov, of House Petrov. Valentin, this is my old business partner, Mako."

Valentin straightened his cufflinks, and stuck his hands in his pockets, before cleaning his neck to look at Mako as well and saying, "pleased to make you aquaintence." His face was impassive, as it always seemed to be. "You may call me either Valentin, or Mr Petrov, whichever you prefer."

Before Valentin could say anything condescending, Isra quickly shifted the conversation elsewhere. "Mako,"she said, turning to face the rest of the team, "this is everyone else who is here for the expedition. This is Theanor Jarak, our expeditions doctor." She had begun gesturing at each of the small group assembled before her, and grinning happily as she did so. "That is Nikolas Jepson, our engineer. And this is Ruby Williams, the other member of security who you will be working with."

Dragos Bee
Minister

Founded: Jul 17, 2017
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Dragos Bee » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:19 pm

Ascot Rider

The boy had arrived just in time, just as the other members of the crew were gathering. Walking towards Valentin and Isra, all the while noting the 'exotic' crew they had gathered; three aliens including a Mammothmok, Ascot Rider tried to hide his nervousness behind a mask of false bravado. He knew this; that being the youngest person in the bunch, he had more to prove to them the expedition founder and captain than the other members had. Which was all right; it was within his abilities.

Once in front of Valentin and Isra, as well as the Mammothmok, Ascot would clear his throat, before saying: "Greetings. My name is Ascot Rider, special Psionic Soldier currently...indentured by Myriad Star Corporation and sent in response to Valentin Petrov's request for security for his expedition. I am a qualified marksman, blade combat specialist, and a passable unarmed fighter in addition to being implanted with the implants that allow me to accomplish telekentic feats. Here is an example."

And with that, the boy would cause his meta-material blade to float out of its scabbard, and with an unecessary flourish, present the sword hilt-first to Valentin using only his telekenesis. "I am also trained in associating with both the mercenaries and smugglers and other folk of the underworld, as well as providing intellectual companionship to those of the upper class who I am supposed to be bodyguarding. Although," he chuckled for effect, "being sixteen, I have my limits, if I am permitted to say that, sir."

"Either way, Mr. Petrov," Ascot kept smiling, "My sword is yours for the duration of this expedition."

At least until I break my bonds to the Corporation...or die trying.
Sorry for my behavior, P2TM.

Rhinocera
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Rhinocera » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:47 pm

Mako had to make a concerted effort not to chuckle when Isra flipped out after being startled. Startling her had not at all been his intention, but her reaction was rather amusing, nonetheless. Fortunately, he managed to suppress the urge to laugh or chuckle since the last thing he needed was aggravate her further. He was, however, unable to refrain from the use of sarcasm. After she spoke as to how he should have made his presence known instead of just walking up behind her, Mako responded. "I'll keep that in mind next time, but its pretty clear I'm here now, ain't it" he said with a slight shrug as Isra continued.

As Isra brought Valentin Petrov over, Mako adjusted his posture, standing straight up instead of continuing to lean down. Looking down at the humans, Mako listened as Petrov introduced himself. Once the man finished speaking, Mako responded. "It's a pleasure to be working with you, Mr. Petrov. Call me Mako, I prefer to keep light on the formalities when appropriate . Also, I'd like to personally assure you that your expedition will be much safer as long as I'm on board, you hired the right man." Mako's tone and presentation had changed from relaxed and informal to serious and relatively professional. It didn't take a genius to derive the fact that Valentin conducted himself in a serious manner, and Mako figured it wouldn't hurt to present himself as a professional in their first face to face meeting.

After meeting Petrov, Mako listened as Isra introduced the rest of the group.Once Isra finished introducing Mako to the crew of the vessel, he introduced himself to the group, addressing everyone she had just introduced. "The names Mako Elikor, I'll be handling security for our little expedition. I'm looking forward to working with you fine fellows, hope y'all feel the same way."

United Human Planets
Ambassador

Postby United Human Planets » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 am

Dragos Bee wrote:Ascot Rider

The boy had arrived just in time, just as the other members of the crew were gathering. Walking towards Valentin and Isra, all the while noting the 'exotic' crew they had gathered; three aliens including a Mammothmok, Ascot Rider tried to hide his nervousness behind a mask of false bravado. He knew this; that being the youngest person in the bunch, he had more to prove to them the expedition founder and captain than the other members had. Which was all right; it was within his abilities.

Once in front of Valentin and Isra, as well as the Mammothmok, Ascot would clear his throat, before saying: "Greetings. My name is Ascot Rider, special Psionic Soldier currently...indentured by Myriad Star Corporation and sent in response to Valentin Petrov's request for security for his expedition. I am a qualified marksman, blade combat specialist, and a passable unarmed fighter in addition to being implanted with the implants that allow me to accomplish telekentic feats. Here is an example."

And with that, the boy would cause his meta-material blade to float out of its scabbard, and with an unecessary flourish, present the sword hilt-first to Valentin using only his telekenesis. "I am also trained in associating with both the mercenaries and smugglers and other folk of the underworld, as well as providing intellectual companionship to those of the upper class who I am supposed to be bodyguarding. Although," he chuckled for effect, "being sixteen, I have my limits, if I am permitted to say that, sir."

"Either way, Mr. Petrov," Ascot kept smiling, "My sword is yours for the duration of this expedition."

At least until I break my bonds to the Corporation...or die trying.

"It is good to have another member of the crew with a certain level of class with us," said Valentin, extending his hand for Ascot to shake. "I am Valentin Petrov, you may call me Valentin or Mr Petrov, whichever suits you."

Isra had listened to Ascot as he explained where he had come from with discomfort. She had heard of the Myriad Star Corporation. As if the idea of indenture wasn't already displeasing enough, especially to someone who had purposeful lived her life as free as possible, but far more concerning were the rumors of Myriad Star Corporation. As a joint human and shvii company, they were already controversial enough without the talk about kidnappings. Many, especially in the outer planets of the Confederacy, were far from comfortable with Myriad, as it was said they did such things as steal children. No one could ever prove it, but every once and a while bizarre young mercenary's would show up in the shadier areas of the colonies, and waste anyone who stood in the way of their goals, and typically those goals were intricately linked to human government adn business affairs.

Knowing that Valentin had hired a member of this corporation, not only helped Isra to realize exactly how much influence House Petrov actually had, but also made her rethink her opinions on the young lord. But, he was paying her, and so she figured it would be better to try and play it cool. She stepped forward and extended her hand as well, flashing her toothy grin and said, "Im pleased to meet you Ascot. Im Isra Daoud, captain of the Valen Sky. Its a pleasure to have you with us for the journey.

Valentin searched the surrounding area, looking for the final member of the crew. It had been to long, and he was becoming increasingly frustrated at what appeared to him to be a vital lack of punctuates. He sniffed, and scratched the back of his head as much as to give him something to do rather than for any real reason. Isra bounced back and forth on the balls of her feet, and twirled a lanyard that she kept around her finger. The keys on the end jangled as they spun, and the sharp tinkling was beginning to grate on his hearing.

"Well," he said, clapping his hands together. "It seems that our final member is taking longer than is acceptable, I say we take a tour of the ship."

Isra looked up at him and said, "You've already seen everything on the ship. I gave you the tour yesterday."

Valentin sighed, and said, "I mean, we should show the crew around the ship."

Isra looked at him dully, then glanced at the crew, before looking back to her key's. "Alright yeesh, no need to get pissy about it." She placed the lanyard around her neck, and stuck the keys down her shirt so they wouldn't get in her way, before stepping forward and saying to the group at large, "alrighty yall, rather than just standing around here waiting for our final crew member, lets take a tour of the ship here."

With that, she turned on her heel, and strode up to the open hanger bay door. "So," she said. "This here is the Valen Sky, my ship. The name means nothing, it just sounds pretty, so dont worry about trying to translate that. Anywho, she's a Stallion Co. medium class freighter. Not sure if that means anything to anyone, but I figured it might be useful information."

She stepped forward again, making her way through the open hanger doors, into what served as simultaneously the cargo bay, hanger, and Valentin's bedroom. "Heres where we keep shit, mostly freight, but also Valentin here." She pointed to a hammock and stack of suitcases in the far corner. "Right there in fact. So if any of you want to kill Mr Petrov as we sleep, now you know where to find him. Lord knows Ive thought about it a few times." Behind her Valentin stiffened with indignation, but chose to keep his mouth shut. Isra pointed to two speeders that sat prominently in the middle of the hold. They were both about as beat up and dingy looking as the ship they were on, and one of them had been spray painted purple. The other was an old hauling speeder, with a trailer nearby that could be attached to place equipment on. "Those are our speeders," continued Isra. "Right now only the purple on works, but Im working on the other. Who knows what kinda shit we're gonna have to be tugging around once we're at these star coordinates."

She started moving again, towards the back of the cargo bay where a door led into a separate room. She stopped in front of the door and pointed inside. "This here is the engine room. Admittedly, I dont know much about what goes on with that damn thing, but Im sure anyone with any kind of engineering skill could figure it out. So, I leave it up to you guys."

She turned again, and headed back into the cargo hold, where a whole in the floor revealed a ladder, going both up and down. She grabbed onto a rung and began to climb, stating, "If you go down this ladder, you get to the gun turret." As she climbed out the top, she lead the crew into a surprisingly cozy living room slash kitchen area. On one end there was two couches, a coffee table in between with data pads, a computer, and a box of shotgun shells on top. In front of them was a large television, and in front of the television on the ceiling was a holo projector. To the other side there was a little kitchenette. A four burner stove, oven, counter, refrigerator, and various cabinets. In the middle of the room there was a long Formica table, with a bowl in the middle of that and some plates on one end waiting to be cleaned. On one wall, there were multiple lockers, many with their doors hanging wide open revealing collections of random detritus from stacks of papers, cardboard boxes, cases of bullets and shells, an old samurai sword, and so on. All in all, anyone who knew Isra from business would have found this room to be particularly odd to be in. Isra made sure to project an air of confidence in her business ventures, and most who knew her considered her to be friendly enough, bu mischievous and with a rather grey moral compass. For them, being in the smugglers living room and seeing to human quality's of her life would have been strange.

The ladder however, continued on up through the ceiling. "If you keep going up that ladder," said Isra, "You can find the other gun turret. Hopefully we wont to need to use those on our journey, but you never know. Anyways, this is our living space. Its nice and comfy, you can sit on couches and shit. Good stuff I think. I dont have any schedule for when we will be eating, but you all can feel free to use anything in here whenever you please, and if you can find any room you can store stuff in those lockers over there, but Im afraid Ive pretty much filled them to the brim. If you want to store any trunks or suitcases in here as well, you can do that too. Anyhow, lets check out the lab."

Isra turned away from the living room, and pressed a button to open a sliding door. It was the first actual door on the ship other than the ones for the cargo bay, and they led into a narrow hall, likely about as wide as a twin size bed, where another sliding door waited at the end. "Mako, Im sorry if you dont fit down this hallway, but feel free to give it a go if you want." Once she reached the other end of the hall, she opened the second door, and entered what was both an infirmary and a small scientific lab, though it was all more geared towards medical needs. "Dr Theanor, I suspect this is the place you will be working most," said Isra. "Ive got a basic set of medical supply's on hand, but if you have anything of your own to supplement it, I think we would be much better off. All Ive really got is stuff you can buy in a pharmacy." She looked around the infirmary, and back around at her new crew. Technically they were under Valentin's employment, as was she, but he wasnt along for the tour having stationed himself back outside to wait for any other crew who may arrive, and after all, it was her ship. While on it, she was the one who was both most experienced and the ranking officer in charge.

Isra lead the crew back out to the living room, and opened another sliding door that lead into a second tight hallway. Halfway down it there was a small hatch in the floor, with the word word Captains Quarters stenciled over it. As she lead the group by it, Isra said, "Thats my room. Dont go in it, its where I keep my dirty dirty porn." At the end of the hall she opened a fourth door, leading into the cockpit. In the center there was a set of controls, and on the left and right there were two separate control sets. "So, this is the final room, the cockpit," said Isra. "The center controls are for flying the ship, the one on the left is Astrogation, the one on the right is coms."

Isra lead them all back out down the hall, closing doors as she went, until they were back in the living room. There, she took off her cloak and folded it, before plopping it on the coffee table. She kept her gun however, and rested her hand on its grip. "Ok," she said," so thats my ship. You can all set up shop wherever you please, I apologize that there aren't any rooms for crew but I wont mind if you set up hammocks or bedrolls in here or the cargo bay, or wherever. The infirmary would probably be pretty small to sleep in, but if your OK with noise there's plenty of room in the engine room as well. Anyone got any questions?"
Last edited by United Human Planets on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragos Bee
Minister

Postby Dragos Bee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Ascot Rider

Ascot smiled and shook Valentin's hand, saying, "Thank you, Valentin." He looked at the young lordling, amazed that he would just accept his presence like that, without prejudice, condescension, or even an attempt to assert superiority. Or maybe that would eventually come in time, and he had merely put Valentin in a good mood? "I am honored to serve and protect."

He would then shake Irsa's hand, saying, "I am glad to be under such a skilled captain as well." It was then that he returned his sword to his scabbard. "An expedition of this ambition...accomplishing this might be enough to earn my manumission."

The boy didn't actually believe it, but he wanted to give the impression that he'd serve the group as best as he could. His rough plan was to get away far enough from Myriad Star Corporation and sever ties with them. Finding Earth was merely a step to that plan. So he went along with Valentin and Isra as the latter began her tour of the ship, taking note of any weak spots in the structure, ways of escape, and of course, the speeders.

As for questions, Ascot had one: "I...uh...the company didn't give me anything decent to wear at night or asleep; I literally arrived here with only my weapons and armor and my current set of clothing. Normally, this isn't a problem as the company usually provides night clothes and private rooms, but..."

The boy turned his face away in embrassment, knowing he'd likely be told to just sleep in his armor.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:38 pm

Tiau System, Lia Lin City Space Port
MacDougalDougal, Dougal, and Dougal MacDougal's Tavern
Approximately that same time

It was so common as to be expected, that any space port with more than two humans near enough to use it would have an Irish pub, or something similar.

And it stood to reason, that with so many similarities in culture, there would be a lot of Giokeni in such facilities. This was true - in many cases, there were as many Giokeni as there were humans, and in some cases there were more Giokeni than humans.

MacDougalDougal, Dougal, and Dougal MacDougal's Tavern was not one such place, but it was an Irish pub, and that was good enough for Maira d'Ierunan of Clan u'Oriunn. Beer in hand, she joined humans, Giokeni, and other species in dancing upon the table in a drunken revelry. MacDougalDougal's son had just been declared free of cancer, and for that the taps were open all day, music would play all through the night, and any debts, tabs, bills and damages would be forgiven. Which was fair, as MacDougalDougal had already made four times his regular daily profits.

Hooves clicking against the pseudo-wood tables, Maira leapt from table to table like a deer. When she wasn't drinking, she was eating from a rather novel dish called a 'barbecue parfait' consisting of a layer of baked potato salad (with bits of cheese and bacon), a layer of pulled pork, a layer of baked beans, a layer of brisket, another layer of baked potato salad, and a layer of sour cream, with a fork stuck out of it at an odd angle, indicative of how she was trying (and succeeding for the most part) at holding three things with two hands. Far from an Irish dish, it was delicious, meaty, and had potatoes, and for most aliens that was close enough. MacDougalDougal, Dougal, and Dougal MacDougal's Tavern had more 'accurate' meals of course, but none were quite as popular with the omnivorous races.

After a complete round of The Rattlin' Bog (bless the First Smiths for making Giokeni with efficient lungs), the animatronics switched to a more rapid pace and started belting out another ancient Irish group of singers - the Dropkick Murphys. And the Giokeni, many of which were of the industrial classes, went wild as they played a particularly popular song. Maira in particular began dancing faster, more wildly, and actually juggling the three things in her hand, not spilling a drop despite the navy blue blush on her face indicating an advanced state of intoxication. She didn't miss a lyric, either.

"In the factories and mills, in the shipyards and mines,
We've often been told to keep up with the times -
For our skills are not needed, they've streamlined the job,
And with sliderule and stopwatch our pride they have robbed!"

"We're the first ones to starve, we're the first ones to die,
The first ones in line for that pie-in-the-sky;
And we're always the last when the cream is shared out -
For the worker is working when the fat cat's about!"

On it went. It wasn't a long song, but it sure as hell was energetic, and Maira loved it. So much so that she finished her drink in the process of singing. She turned to face the bar and the clock behind it, and frowned.

Gettin' close to time to go... wait.

"Oi, Murphy ya wanker, yer clock slow or summin?"

"'Bout by three minutes er so, why?"

Shite.

With perfect aim, she tossed her glass bottle into the rubbish bin, shoveled the last of her parfait into her mouth, then tossed that into the bin as well while swallowing. With another toss, she fished about twenty over her actual tab from her pocket and hurled it at the bar which Murphy Dougal easily caught. With a leap, she sprung from her perch to the door, grabbed her rolling luggage bag, and ran like a bandit for the hangars, while the bar's radio had shifted out to 'Come Out Ye Black and Tans'.

Still, she arrived at the appointed time she was told to. Exactly on time, and from the sounds of things, the financier was one of those types of foppish nobs that thought people should arrive thirty minutes early - they were already touring the ship and from the sounds of things, mostly done. That didn't stop Maira, quickly ducking into the cargo hold, slinging her luggage over her back, and climbing up the ladder. Her head at last revealed itself as soon as the captain, the human she assumed was Isra, asked if they had any questions. She politely waited for the too-young-to-be-here human boy to ask his.

"Aye, I go'a quession. I saw de ousside, but it ain't runnin' so I won' assume, but on a scale of one ta ten, exactly how likely are de engines to shit da bed in deir current state, should anytin' go wrong?"

She pondered for a moment.

"Accualy, I got two. You don' seem ta have room fer a shu'le craf, so d'you hae any external dockin' clamps? Shite, even a magnetized hull would do fer now if ye can spare a li'le scrapmetal."
Last edited by Rupudska on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

United Human Planets
Ambassador

Postby United Human Planets » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:35 pm

Dragos Bee wrote:Ascot Rider

Ascot smiled and shook Valentin's hand, saying, "Thank you, Valentin." He looked at the young lordling, amazed that he would just accept his presence like that, without prejudice, condescension, or even an attempt to assert superiority. Or maybe that would eventually come in time, and he had merely put Valentin in a good mood? "I am honored to serve and protect."

He would then shake Irsa's hand, saying, "I am glad to be under such a skilled captain as well." It was then that he returned his sword to his scabbard. "An expedition of this ambition...accomplishing this might be enough to earn my manumission."

The boy didn't actually believe it, but he wanted to give the impression that he'd serve the group as best as he could. His rough plan was to get away far enough from Myriad Star Corporation and sever ties with them. Finding Earth was merely a step to that plan. So he went along with Valentin and Isra as the latter began her tour of the ship, taking note of any weak spots in the structure, ways of escape, and of course, the speeders.

As for questions, Ascot had one: "I...uh...the company didn't give me anything decent to wear at night or asleep; I literally arrived here with only my weapons and armor and my current set of clothing. Normally, this isn't a problem as the company usually provides night clothes and private rooms, but..."

The boy turned his face away in embrassment, knowing he'd likely be told to just sleep in his armor.

Isra Daoud, Ship captain and smuggler.

Isra was a little unsure about how to answer the question, and looked around the room awkwardly, before bringing her eyes back to Ascot. Suddenly her opinions on the Myriad Star Corporation were even lower. Not only were they a morally ambiguous group with uncomfortable ties to difficult conflicts, but they also couldn't even adequately equip their own people? As far as she was concerned, it was unprofessional, and if Isra considered herself to be anything, it was a professional. And so to her, it was unbecoming to be so.

"Well, shit," she said at last. "I think I probably have some old clothes kicking around in those lockers. If you can find them, feel free to take em. I apologize for them being small if they are, Im not exactly the tallest person. And Valentin has told me that we all get advanced payments after our first week, so you could probably stop off at a station somewhere and get yourself some real clothes with that."

Rupudska wrote:Tiau System, Lia Lin City Space Port
MacDougalDougal, Dougal, and Dougal MacDougal's Tavern
Approximately that same time

It was so common as to be expected, that any space port with more than two humans near enough to use it would have an Irish pub, or something similar.

And it stood to reason, that with so many similarities in culture, there would be a lot of Giokeni in such facilities. This was true - in many cases, there were as many Giokeni as there were humans, and in some cases there were more Giokeni than humans.

MacDougalDougal, Dougal, and Dougal MacDougal's Tavern was not one such place, but it was an Irish pub, and that was good enough for Maira d'Ierunan of Clan u'Oriunn. Beer in hand, she joined humans, Giokeni, and other species in dancing upon the table in a drunken revelry. MacDougalDougal's son had just been declared free of cancer, and for that the taps were open all day, music would play all through the night, and any debts, tabs, bills and damages would be forgiven. Which was fair, as MacDougalDougal had already made four times his regular daily profits.

Hooves clicking against the pseudo-wood tables, Maira leapt from table to table like a deer. When she wasn't drinking, she was eating from a rather novel dish called a 'barbecue parfait' consisting of a layer of baked potato salad (with bits of cheese and bacon), a layer of pulled pork, a layer of baked beans, a layer of brisket, another layer of baked potato salad, and a layer of sour cream, with a fork stuck out of it at an odd angle, indicative of how she was trying (and succeeding for the most part) at holding three things with two hands. Far from an Irish dish, it was delicious, meaty, and had potatoes, and for most aliens that was close enough. MacDougalDougal, Dougal, and Dougal MacDougal's Tavern had more 'accurate' meals of course, but none were quite as popular with the omnivorous races.

After a complete round of The Rattlin' Bog (bless the First Smiths for making Giokeni with efficient lungs), the animatronics switched to a more rapid pace and started belting out another ancient Irish group of singers - the Dropkick Murphys. And the Giokeni, many of which were of the industrial classes, went wild as they played a particularly popular song. Maira in particular began dancing faster, more wildly, and actually juggling the three things in her hand, not spilling a drop despite the navy blue blush on her face indicating an advanced state of intoxication. She didn't miss a lyric, either.

"In the factories and mills, in the shipyards and mines,
We've often been told to keep up with the times -
For our skills are not needed, they've streamlined the job,
And with sliderule and stopwatch our pride they have robbed!"

"We're the first ones to starve, we're the first ones to die,
The first ones in line for that pie-in-the-sky;
And we're always the last when the cream is shared out -
For the worker is working when the fat cat's about!"

On it went. It wasn't a long song, but it sure as hell was energetic, and Maira loved it. So much so that she finished her drink in the process of singing. She turned to face the bar and the clock behind it, and frowned.

Gettin' close to time to go... wait.

"Oi, Murphy ya wanker, yer clock slow or summin?"

"'Bout by three minutes er so, why?"

Shite.

With perfect aim, she tossed her glass bottle into the rubbish bin, shoveled the last of her parfait into her mouth, then tossed that into the bin as well while swallowing. With another toss, she fished about twenty over her actual tab from her pocket and hurled it at the bar which Murphy Dougal easily caught. With a leap, she sprung from her perch to the door, grabbed her rolling luggage bag, and ran like a bandit for the hangars, while the bar's radio had shifted out to 'Come Out Ye Black and Tans'.

Still, she arrived at the appointed time she was told to. Exactly on time, and from the sounds of things, the financier was one of those types of foppish nobs that thought people should arrive thirty minutes early - they were already touring the ship and from the sounds of things, mostly done. That didn't stop Maira, quickly ducking into the cargo hold, slinging her luggage over her back, and climbing up the ladder. Her head at last revealed itself as soon as the captain, the human she assumed was Isra, asked if they had any questions. She politely waited for the too-young-to-be-here human boy to ask his.

"Aye, I go'a quession. I saw de ousside, but it ain't runnin' so I won' assume, but on a scale of one ta ten, exactly how likely are de engines to shit da bed in deir current state, should anytin' go wrong?"

She pondered for a moment.

"Accualy, I got two. You don' seem ta have room fer a shu'le craf, so d'you hae any external dockin' clamps? Shite, even a magnetized hull would do fer now if ye can spare a li'le scrapmetal."

Isra jumped a little in surprise when Maira spoke, having believed she had not shown up on time and would be subsequently left behind. "Shit, I thought you weren't going to show," said Isra, striding over to shake hands with the new arrival. "I hope Valentin didn't give you to much trouble on your way in, he's pretty persnickety about things being 'proper.'" She smiled happily, finding herself liking Maira. She was a little rough and tumble, but a rustic charm to her that Isra couldn't help but appreciate. "Anyways, yeah, the Starboard engine is pretty solid. Its a little shaky at times, but it will get you where your going. The Port engine is another story all together. It'll get you where your going, but don't expect it to be nice about it. The damn thing sputters out all the time. As for docking clamps, we got two of them. One is forward, the other is aft, and they are attached to the top of the ship. The hatches are in the halls to the cockpit and infirmary."

Dragos Bee
Minister

Postby Dragos Bee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:45 pm

United Human Planets wrote:Tiau System, Lia Lin City Space Port,

Isra was a little unsure about how to answer the question, and looked around the room awkwardly, before bringing her eyes back to Ascot. Suddenly her opinions on the Myriad Star Corporation were even lower. Not only were they a morally ambiguous group with uncomfortable ties to difficult conflicts, but they also couldn't even adequately equip their own people? As far as she was concerned, it was unprofessional, and if Isra considered herself to be anything, it was a professional. And so to her, it was unbecoming to be so.

"Well, shit," she said at last. "I think I probably have some old clothes kicking around in those lockers. If you can find them, feel free to take em. I apologize for them being small if they are, Im not exactly the tallest person. And Valentin has told me that we all get advanced payments after our first week, so you could probably stop off at a station somewhere and get yourself some real clothes with that."

Ascot's face turned red at that, beet red. Was he being offered girl's clothes? Well, the offer was generous, so he shouldn't just refuse. But at the same time...girl's clothes! Still highly embarrassed, he would say to Isra: "Ah...I'll try and find them, then. And thank you for telling me about the system of advance payments; that is very generous, Captain."

He gave a deep bow as he listened to Isra talk to the Giokeni engineer/mechanic, all the while recording in his head where the hatches were. Close to the cockpit and infirmary. If he still wanted to escape, that'd be good to know. And the sixteen-year-old knew he might still need to escape sometime, once he'd collected a few of his advance payments and the ship was far enough from the Shivii Hegemony.

Nevertheless, he felt he needed to be more open to Isra, as her 'maternal' generosity managed to strike a chord in his emotionally vulnerable heart. "I have to elaborate, the Myriad Star Corporation's policy towards their indentures is meant to foster a sense of...reliance on the Corporation itself. Sustenance, shelter, decent clothing, those are provided by the employer, with the threat that they can be withheld used as a means of discipline. This, in turn, is because the Myriad Star Corporation has invested an entire fortune in each indentured Psionic Soldier; the tech that gives Humans psionic gifts is immensely expensive." He smiled in a way that is meant to be self-effacing. "The fact that you and Valentin do not act in such a way gladdens my heart immensely."

He then looked at Maira the Giokeni, trying to parse her accent. Extending a hand to her, he would say, "Greetings, by the way, my name is Ascot Rider. I shouldn't hog the Captain's attention, although I have to admit, being treated so kindly is...shocking."

Looking at Isra again, Ascot suddenly grasped what the Captain's expressions of distaste were aimed at. With a chuckle, his face relaxed, and he said, "Oh! So you weren't expecting an indenture under your wing! That...that's a relief. And considering how Valentin was so willing to allow me the use of his first name, I don't think that owning someone was on his list of priorities, if, with all due respect, he did grasp that it was the implication of the word 'indenture'."

A sincere, shamefaced smile as Ascot chuckled again in relief, then began floating in the air six centimeters above the ground, circling Isra and Maira; another demonstration of his psionic abilities. "Thank you, thank you, thank you; I was so afraid! I thought you were going to be like everyone else; I was bracing myself for having to, well, do what indentures do when lent to private people by the Corporation! I was so stupid..."

He then set himself down once he was in front of Isra once more, breathing easily. "Back to the original subject; I think I'll sleep in my armor for a while. I'll go get something next week." A smirk. "But seriously, thank you."

Sterkistan
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 13, 2015

Postby Sterkistan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 am

Alistair Seravee

Alistair breathed heavily as his feet pounded the metal floor of the Spaceport maintenance hall, he ran along, picking up speed as he shoved people out of the road, his targets ahead of him trying to find a way out. These were the last two, his team was dead. Bunch of amateurs, Private Security isn't what it used to be. Unfortunately that meant he wasn't going to get paid, but that isn't why he took the job.

Luckily for him the noise in the Spaceport was so great, he could shoot to his heart's content in here and it'd be unlikely that even a wandering soul would hear him. The security cameras were a different story though. He'd have another 3 minutes max until the feds showed, and they could probably hold a firefight for lot longer than he could, and even if he wasn't killed, a prison didn't sound like a very nice place this time of year.

The thugs took cover behind a maintenance panel, firing at Alistair as he also leapt for cover. He peeked around, the cameras in his helmet letting him see around with little danger. And he waited until his target poked around for another shot, where he popped out and sprayed him down. And his friend cried out, rushing around the other side, before falling to the same fate.

The job was done, Alistair has seconds at most to go. He busted into the connecting hatch, crouching down and shuffling though to the mooring docks. Upon making it through, he pulled his hood up and the cloak over as he shifted toward the ships. Finding a Medium-class Freighter that looked promising, he watched the crew enter the ship. Alistair walked to the hatch, rapping on it with his knuckles and waiting. Turning away from the feds as they walked past. Looking back toward the hatch.
This Nation does not use NS Statistics. Perpetually WIP

Northern Poland
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 23, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Poland » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:28 am

Nikolas Jepsen P.eng
Tiau System
Lia Lin City Space Port

Nicholas walks with everyone else, listening to all the details. He thinks, "Engine room, definitely a pick." When they get to the end, he says to himself, "So this ship is built for no crew accommodations? Sounds like a great thing for a crew of what, Seven?"He shifts one of his duffels to the other side of his arm. He then pulls out his Holopad, then he looks up the Freighter class that it is. He checks for crew accommodations, and says, "Well, I'll be damned, It doesn't."

When they finish, he begins to walk to the Engine room to set up his Hammock and the hooks for his bags. He climbs down the ladder, arriving at the floor that the engine room is on. He walks inside, and instantly hears the noise. He moves over to a spacious corner, and grabs his bag on his right. He puts it down, opening it and pulling out the hammock fold. He grabs a futuristic nail gun that can punch through cabinets. he puts a large nail in one cabinet, then another in one a little bit away. He hooks one of the hammock's holes on one, then does the same thing on the other. he throws a pillow down there, as well as a blanket. He sees a crate over in a corner, he brings it over as a makeshift chair. He hears banging in the cargo room, so he walks inside. He hears it coming from the door, so he walks over and says, "Who is this, and why are you here?"
Kawaii Seals wrote:SWEET NECTAR OF THE GODS

United Human Planets
Ambassador

Postby United Human Planets » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:40 am

Dragos Bee wrote:-SNIP-

Isra grinned at him, though feeling a little unsure of what to do with Ascot. "Dont thank me yet," she said, "Im not the one who hired you, Im just the captain. If you really wanna thank someone for the pay, its Valentin you should talk to." She looked around the living room again, before continuing. "And if you have nothing to sleep on, you can crash on one of these couches if you want. If not, no big deal, theres plenty of space around the ship."

Sterkistan wrote:Alistair Seravee

Alistair breathed heavily as his feet pounded the metal floor of the Spaceport maintenance hall, he ran along, picking up speed as he shoved people out of the road, his targets ahead of him trying to find a way out. These were the last two, his team was dead. Bunch of amateurs, Private Security isn't what it used to be. Unfortunately that meant he wasn't going to get paid, but that isn't why he took the job.

Luckily for him the noise in the Spaceport was so great, he could shoot to his heart's content in here and it'd be unlikely that even a wandering soul would hear him. The security cameras were a different story though. He'd have another 3 minutes max until the feds showed, and they could probably hold a firefight for lot longer than he could, and even if he wasn't killed, a prison didn't sound like a very nice place this time of year.

The thugs took cover behind a maintenance panel, firing at Alistair as he also leapt for cover. He peeked around, the cameras in his helmet letting him see around with little danger. And he waited until his target poked around for another shot, where he popped out and sprayed him down. And his friend cried out, rushing around the other side, before falling to the same fate.

Northern Poland wrote:Nikolas Jepsen P.eng
Tiau System
Lia Lin City Space Port

Nicholas walks with everyone else, listening to all the details. He thinks, "Engine room, definitely a pick." When they get to the end, he says to himself, "So this ship is built for no crew accommodations? Sounds like a great thing for a crew of what, Seven?"He shifts one of his duffels to the other side of his arm. He then pulls out his Holopad, then he looks up the Freighter class that it is. He checks for crew accommodations, and says, "Well, I'll be damned, It doesn't."

When they finish, he begins to walk to the Engine room to set up his Hammock and the hooks for his bags. He climbs down the ladder, arriving at the floor that the engine room is on. He walks inside, and instantly hears the noise. He moves over to a spacious corner, and grabs his bag on his right. He puts it down, opening it and pulling out the hammock fold. He grabs a futuristic nail gun that can punch through cabinets. he puts a large nail in one cabinet, then another in one a little bit away. He hooks one of the hammock's holes on one, then does the same thing on the other. he throws a pillow down there, as well as a blanket. He sees a crate over in a corner, he brings it over as a makeshift chair. He hears banging in the cargo room, so he walks inside. He hears it coming from the door, so he walks over and says, "Who is this, and why are you here?"

Tiau SystemLia Lin City Space Port
Isra Daoud
Valentin Petrov

Valentin carried the box he had been sitting on back in the ship. He had seen Isra moving around inside the ship, strapping things down and preparing for them to leave. He wandered in to the hanger, carrying the box awkwardly, (it was just the right size where there was no way to get a good grip on it, so it was always off balance) and put it down next to the speeders where he had found it. He stood there and looked around at his surroundings. It was petty amazing to believe that he was leaving any minute now, for the expedition it felt like he had been planning for years. It had of course in actuality only been a month, but to him, having had to push his way through the Expeditionary Board, many other students and professors at Whisthall, his family, and the banks to make everything happen, it felt like it had been far longer.

As he stood contemplating, Isra wandered by, she still wore her pistol, but she had taken the ratty cloak she always seemed to be wearing off, and the lack of it surprised him. With it on she seemed much larger and more intimidating, but without it she suddenly seemed very small. As she made her way through the hanger, she looked over at him and said, "Whats good home slice?"

"I just dont think I've ever seen you without that cloak on in the few weeks Ive known you," he said. He straightened again. Even if his companions weren't going to conduct themselves properly, he would still do everything he could to appear a proper lord, as was his station in life.

"I dont really wear it on my own ship," she said. "I mean, thats kinda like wearing a jacket in my own house, you know?"

Valentin thought about it, and he figured that made sense. "I suppose," he said. "Your just a lot shorter than that cloak makes you appear."

Isra leaned down and started pushing a bunch of boxes up against the wall, where she could secure them so they wouldnt fly around as they took off. "Thats a big part of why I wear that. Most people like to think of star ship captains as kinda towering and larger than life figures, so that just gives me the right look I think. Plus, I can keep shit in it. The thing is full of pockets."

"I can only imagine what types of things you would keep hidden away in a cloak."

Isra laughed. "Yeah, you've figured me out pretty quick haven't you?"

"Well, Ive seen the various compartments around this ship," said Valentin. "If everything you did was strictly legal, I dont think you would need so many hidey holes to put things in."

Isra stood and crossed her arms. "You know, for someone who tends to be so pompous, your not so bad, anyone ever told you that?"

"I dont think anyone's ever called me pompous before," replied Valentin.

"Well," said Isra, "you are. But your not so bad I guess."

Before Valentin could reply there was a knock at a side hatch. Both Valentin and Isra looked at it, waiting for it to happen again. When it did, they watched as Nikolas emerged from the engine room and went to the hatch, and asked who it was. Isra stepped forward to join him, and Valentin followed a few steps behind. They both came up behind Nikolas, and Isra said, "Who the hell is that? If you want to talk just go around to the carg doors, their open."
Last edited by United Human Planets on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhinocera
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Rhinocera » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:12 pm

During the tour of the ship, Mako had returned to the cargo hold as Isra showed the crew the more confined sections of the vessel. There was no way in hell Mako was squeezing into that corridor unless he put some serious effort into it, and even then it was iffy. As he waited in the cargo room, Mako drifted to a corner that looked like it would make as good a place as any to use as his “quarters” for the duration of the expedition. Dropping his bags down, Mako laid claim to the spot. Given that each bag weighed several hundred pounds, at least, it was unlikely that the claim would be contested. Opening the largest of the bags, Mako removed a large roll, which he laid across the floor. Unrolled at his feet was a small “mattress” which was essentially a pad that you’d unroll on the ground so you didn’t have to sleep on the metal.

Once Mako had finished preparing his corner, Mako sealed his bag and made sure two of them were secured with a combination lock. As he picked up one of the bags and hoisted it over his left shoulder, Mako heard a commotion. Someone was banging on a hatch to the cargo hold. Past experiences made Mako skeptical when it came to unexpected guests knocking on a hatch to a ship full of mysterious individuals, so as Isra told them to go around to the cargo door, he casually walked up next to Isra, though his hand was resting on his weapon as to allow for a quick reaction should the situation necessitate.
Last edited by Rhinocera on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sterkistan
Ambassador

Postby Sterkistan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:44 pm

Northern Poland wrote:-SNIP-

United Human Planets wrote:-SNIP-

Rhinocera wrote:-SNIP-

Alistair Seravee
Alistair waited a few moments, until he heard half a dozen responses from inside the ship. The most notable being that the cargo doors were open, should he wish to speak. He traipsed around to the cargo doors and stepped up into the ship. As he looked around, steam wafted slowly from the vents in his mask, the cloak still pulled around him.
"I'm looking for a job... Anything's fine..."
He stated, his voice a mechanical monotone, with the slightest hint of humanity seeping through.
He also looked up and down the crew who were present; A younger man possibly a few years off Alistair himself, a short woman with darker skin and also looking around his age, a Mammothok that even surprised Alistair, and some pumped up rich boy, even though he looked around the same age as everyone else. He had experience with upper-class types that really don't put their mentality anywhere past children.

He put up his hands, seeing the Mammothok resting his hand on his weapon. More of a warning than anything, but he wanted to properly get a job here, not look like some petty ship-jacker.
"So... You got anything?"
Last edited by Sterkistan on Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brusia
Senator

Postby Brusia » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Dr. Theanor Jarak
Tiau System
Lia Lin City Spaceport

Theanor nodded to the latest arrivals after they introduced themselves, then followed behind Isra as she gave the assembled group a tour of the ship. When they reached the infirmary and Isra mentioned they'd be better off if he had anything to supplement the basic medical supplies on board, the Doctor tapped on his bag and stated: "Not to worry, I brought along some of my own equipment just in case. I can get it set up here as soon as we've finished the tour." As the tour continued, Theanor looked at the cockpit with particular interest as he didn't know how to fly but had wanted to learn since he'd started wandering about the Galaxy. As he looked at the myriad buttons and switches on the center control console, he thought perhaps he might ask the Captain or another pilot if they'd be willing to give him some flying lessons later on.

When they returned to the living room at the conclusion of the tour and the Captain stated the crew could set up shop wherever they pleased, but mentioned that the infirmary might be abit small to do so, Theanor replied: "I don't mind being a little cramped so I'll stay in the infirmary if there are no objections; besides, that'll save me the trouble of having to run there in the event of an emergency." Pulling his bag forward, he continued: "I'll go ahead and start getting my equipment set up there, thank you for the tour Captain." He again politely bowed his head towards Isra before walking towards the infirmary and finding spaces to put his equipment, while reorganizing some of the supplies which were currently there to maximize his efficiency when it came time to treat a patient...

United Human Planets
Ambassador

Postby United Human Planets » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:16 am

Sterkistan wrote:
Northern Poland wrote:-SNIP-

Rhinocera wrote:-SNIP-

Alistair Seravee
Alistair waited a few moments, until he heard half a dozen responses from inside the ship. The most notable being that the cargo doors were open, should he wish to speak. He traipsed around to the cargo doors and stepped up into the ship. As he looked around, steam wafted slowly from the vents in his mask, the cloak still pulled around him.
"I'm looking for a job... Anything's fine..."
He stated, his voice a mechanical monotone, with the slightest hint of humanity seeping through.
He also looked up and down the crew who were present; A younger man possibly a few years off Alistair himself, a short woman with darker skin and also looking around his age, a Mammothok that even surprised Alistair, and some pumped up rich boy, even though he looked around the same age as everyone else. He had experience with upper-class types that really don't put their mentality anywhere past children.

He put up his hands, seeing the Mammothok resting his hand on his weapon. More of a warning than anything, but he wanted to properly get a job here, not look like some petty ship-jacker.
"So... You got anything?"

"Yeah, I probably got some stuff," said Isra. She wasn't sure what to make of this sudden, unexpected new arrival. His cloak and armor gave him a shifty look, and his muffled voice only helped to further dehumanize him. "Though theres no need to wear all that, no ones gonna shoot you in here, unless of course you give us a good reason to."

Isra turned and looked at Valentin, giving him a 'you think its a good go?' expression. He nodded at her, and she turned back to the new arrival. "Im afraid that whatever we might have is mostly menial labor. I think you would be doing a lot of maintenance stuff." She stepped forward to shake his hand, and said, "Im Isra by the way. And everyone with me is Nikolas, our engineer, Mako, who is our security, and Valentin, our financier. Dont let Valentin or Mako scare you, their alright once you get to known them. And Im Isra, the captain of this ship. And you are?"

Dragos Bee
Minister

Postby Dragos Bee » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:24 am

United Human Planets wrote:

Isra grinned at him, though feeling a little unsure of what to do with Ascot. "Dont thank me yet," she said, "Im not the one who hired you, Im just the captain. If you really wanna thank someone for the pay, its Valentin you should talk to." She looked around the living room again, before continuing. "And if you have nothing to sleep on, you can crash on one of these couches if you want. If not, no big deal, theres plenty of space around the ship."

Ascot smiled once more and said, "All right, Captain. And the couches look good; I'll reserve one of them as my space." A frown as the boy was prevented from expressing further gratitude by Alistair's arrival. When the mysterious man in concealing robes and mask conversed with Isra and Valentin, asking for a job, Ascot began observing him and his body language, as well as the stains on his cloak. Concerned for the safety of the crew, the boy said, "Are you sure we should take him into our crew? I mean, we have one non-arrival, but someone who was just recently skirmishing against unknown enemies - his cloak shows signs of battle - might not be the best replacement for our missing crewmember."

But it seemed as though the Captain and the Expedition Leader had made their minds up; that showed a lack of concern for their own safety. A sigh from Ascot as he looked at Alistair and said, "On second thought, I withdraw my concerns; the Captain and Financier know what they are doing. That..." And Ascot used telekinesis to cause Alistair's cloak to flutter as if struck by a breeze, "And I'm confident in my own skills. Oh, by the way, my name is Ascot Rider; Psionic Soldier currently part of the expedition."

He extended his hand, "What's your name? Sorry for showing off, but I have to keep reconfirming my usefulness."

Sterkistan
Ambassador

Postby Sterkistan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:09 am

Alistair Seravee

Alistair gripped Isra's hand in a shake, a firm yet not uncomfortable grip. And when she let go, he pressed something on his collar that caused the cloak to wind up into the armour, leaving only some pieces still visible as the psionic caused it to whip around him.
"Alistair. Alistair Seravee." He responded, choosing to ignore the statement about the armour and answer both the Captain's and the Psionic's question at once. Making sure not act in a way that would warrant suspicion regarding his continued wearing of the armour. Such as not making any motion for the weapons strapped to his back.

He approached the distrusting boy, taking his hand and looking down at him. Shaking it the same way as before.
"It's an old cloak..." He answered, regarding the statement about the bullet holes he made earlier

He turned back to the Captain, watching soundlessly as she continued. A waft of steam emanating from under his helmet.
"Right... What needs fixing."
He was eager to leave, the longer he was here the more likely he'd get in another shootout. And frankly, that probably wasn't the best first impression.

Rhinocera
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Rhinocera » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:32 am

Mako stood silently, hand still resting on his weapon, as the hooded and armored man stood there and spoke with Isra and Ascot. A man wandering a spaceport looking for work was about as common an occurrence you could get. That man being armed and armored as if there was about to be a seige, well that was a bit less common. Most folks carried a pop gun or two for self defense, but this fella was packing some serious hardware and was walking around like robocop.

After Alistair asked what needed fixing, Mako decided to chime in. “First thing we gotta fix is we don’t know who you are. Why don’t you pop off the helmet and properly introduce yourself, so we can put a face to the metal?” This Alistair, if that really was his name, was gonna need to do a bit better than shake a few hands before Mako was ready to accept the new crewman.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse