NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Repeal "National Economic Freedoms"

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Repeal "National Economic Freedoms"

Postby Cute Puppies » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Repeal "National Economic Freedoms"
Category: Repeal | Resolution: GA#68 | Proposed by: Cute Puppies

National Economic Freedoms (Category: Free Trade; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly,

Commending the noble efforts of GAR#68 for attempting to protect the integrity of member nations' economies;

However, appalled by the resolution's ambiguity and vague text which makes it exceptionally vulnerable to abuse and loopholes, flaws which essentially prevent the resolution from accomplishing its goal of protecting national economic freedoms;

Distressed by the resolution's mandate stating that "no commerce be generally restricted by the WA except in the instance where the enterprise causes an extreme hazard to national populations,";
  1. This clause imposes tremendous limits to the World Assembly's authority to regulate commerce, especially on issues such as the sale of illegal contraband and hazardous materials, workers' rights and discrimination, and on pollution from industrial waste disposal;
Perplexed by the department created by GAR#68, Impartial Mediation Foundation, and its equivocal and ill-defined goals to "investigate, mediate, and arbitrate any conflicts that arise,";
  1. The resolution fails to define how the organization, Impartial Mediation Foundation, functions, what it does, and what conflicts it deals with;
Desiring to make way for a resolution that more effectively deals with the issue of economic freedoms of member nations;

Hereby repeals GAR#68, "National Economic Freedoms"

Repeal "National Economic Freedoms"
Category: Repeal | Resolution: GA#68 | Proposed by: Cute Puppies

National Economic Freedoms (Category: Free Trade; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

The General Assembly,

Commending the noble efforts of GAR#68 for attempting to protect the integrity of member nations' economies;

However,

Appalled by the resolution's ambiguity and vague text which makes it exceptionally vulnerable to abuse and loopholes;

Convinced that most of the resolution's text holds little significance, value, or relevance to its mandates despite GAR#68 being classified as a "Strong" resolution on free trade;
  1. The "Noting" clause in the preamble fails to provide any context to the subject matter the resolution is based on;
  2. Its first mandate, "Allows national governments to regulate commerce within their jurisdiction," is nothing more than negligible rhetoric;
Distressed by the resolution's mandate stating that "no commerce be generally restricted by the WA except in the instance where the enterprise causes an extreme hazard to national populations,";
  1. In essence, this clause limits the World Assembly's authority to regulate commerce greatly, especially on issues such as workers' rights, pollution from the manufacturing sector, and welfare;
Perplexed by the department created by GAR#68, Impartial Mediation Foundation, and its equivocal and ill-defined goals to "investigate, mediate, and arbitrate any conflicts that arise,";
  1. The resolution fails to define what the Impartial Mediation Foundation does, and what conflicts it deals with;
Hereby repeals GAR#68, "National Economic Freedoms"

GAR#68, National Economic Freedoms
Last edited by Cute Puppies on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:05 am, edited 10 times in total.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:32 pm

I'd prefer use of alphabetical lists. Also, generally, preamble clauses end with commas rather than semicolons, with lists introduced with colons. I'm also unclear about the purpose of a 1-element list. And the last sentence needs to end with a full stop.
Last edited by Imperium Anglorum on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:I'd prefer use of alphabetical lists.

OOC: Noted. I'll revise that.
If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel about repealing GAR#68, and do you believe the reasoning I provided in my proposal effectively deals with why GAR#68 should be repealed?

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Cute Puppies wrote:If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel about repealing GAR#68, and do you believe the reasoning I provided in my proposal effectively deals with why GAR#68 should be repealed?

I support repeal of GA 68. I've written my own resolution to achieve that goal. If you are in earnest with this proposal, I will happily give you authorisation to incorporate portions of that proposal into this one.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:
Cute Puppies wrote:If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel about repealing GAR#68, and do you believe the reasoning I provided in my proposal effectively deals with why GAR#68 should be repealed?

I support repeal of GA 68. I've written my own resolution to achieve that goal. If you are in earnest with this proposal, I will happily give you authorisation to incorporate portions of that proposal into this one.

That's a very generous offer! Thank you so much! I would love to collaborate with you on this topic, and will credit you as co-author for your support if I incorporate portions of your proposal into my proposal. But, because you're undoubtedly a better writer and have far more experience in the WA, if you wish to submit your repeal first, I'll be happy to put my proposal aside.

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:11 am

OOC: I made some grammatical edits and minor reformatting.

Glory to the HYPNOTOAD
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Glory to the HYPNOTOAD » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 am

Virkanys psychotic dictatorship believes that this resolution should not be repealed. WA Delegate speaking on behalf of the region. Good day to you sir!
WA delegate of Cae,

Proud psychotic dictatorship

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:18 am

Glory to the HYPNOTOAD wrote:Virkanys psychotic dictatorship believes that this resolution should not be repealed. WA Delegate speaking on behalf of the region. Good day to you sir!

Why do you believe this resolution should stay on the General Assembly? Would you possibly reconsider supporting this repeal of there was chance of another proposal ammending National Economic Freedoms' problems while reestablishing some of its positive mandates?

Misthas
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Misthas » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:20 am

Personally, I'd support repealing any resolution that supports economic freedom. URA!
Востанирес из рун
From the ruins, we have risen

A level 16 civilization, according to you know what index
Economic: +0.87 | Social: -1.35

COMF NEWS: The 5th Armored Division, 76th Paratrooper Regiment "Henrich Weibel" and 4th Airborne Division are being transported to the southern Magyarijan border to combat the imperialist aggressors.

Glory to the HYPNOTOAD
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Glory to the HYPNOTOAD » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:54 am

Cute Puppies wrote:
Glory to the HYPNOTOAD wrote:Virkanys psychotic dictatorship believes that this resolution should not be repealed. WA Delegate speaking on behalf of the region. Good day to you sir!

Why do you believe this resolution should stay on the General Assembly? Would you possibly reconsider supporting this repeal of there was chance of another proposal ammending National Economic Freedoms' problems while reestablishing some of its positive mandates?

I believe that this would be a good arrangement for Virkanys phychotic dictatorship, we wish to have our own right on how we govern our economy, however at first it seemed that you were trying to take away that, our apologizes if we misunderstood. Good day to you sir!

EDIT due to grammer
Last edited by Glory to the HYPNOTOAD on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
WA delegate of Cae,

Proud psychotic dictatorship

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:54 am

Bump

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:55 am

This didn't really need a bump.

Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:59 am

OOC Draft 2 is up. I reformatted the proposal, elaborated on some of my clauses, and added a clause which brings attention to GAR#68's mandate, national governments to compensate any individual, group of individuals, or national governments for any physical property or money seized by that national government, excepting those assets used for criminal enterprise," a mandate that I feel to be completely irrelevant to national economic freedoms and free trade.

EDIT: I added a poll
Last edited by Cute Puppies on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Cute Puppies wrote:despite GAR#68 being classified as a "Strong" resolution on free trade

More of a question than a note: I am not sure in how far the strength classifications are in universe or rather meta-gaming/game mechanics.
Last edited by The New Nordic Union on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:33 pm

The New Nordic Union wrote:
Cute Puppies wrote:despite GAR#68 being classified as a "Strong" resolution on free trade

More of a question than a note: I am not sure in how far the strength classifications are in universe or rather meta-gaming/game mechanics.

OOC: A resolution can (in increasing order of strength) be considered mild, significant, or strong. According the the official guide, "General Assembly Rules for Proposals," a resolution's strength "determines the effect a proposal has on a nation's policy." The term, strong, refers to a resolution with "a very broad area of policy in a dramatic way" and is the greatest degree of strength a resolution can be.

The New Nordic Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The New Nordic Union » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Cute Puppies wrote:

OOC: A resolution can (in increasing order of strength) be considered mild, significant, or strong. According the the official guide, "General Assembly Rules for Proposals," a resolution's strength "determines the effect a proposal has on a nation's policy." The term, strong, refers to a resolution with "a very broad area of policy in a dramatic way" and is the greatest degree of strength a resolution can be.

Yes, that I know, of course. What I mean, however, is whether this is something we can adress in other resolutions, or not. Because when a proposal has incorrect strength, it is normally illegal, and if I recall correctly, illegality is not a reason for appeal.
Last edited by The New Nordic Union on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Permanent Representative of the Nordic Union to the World Assembly: Katrin við Keldu

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Cute Puppies wrote:

Yes, that I know, of course. What I mean, however, is whether this is something we can adress in other resolutions, or not. Because when a proposal has incorrect strength, it is normally illegal, and if I recall correctly, illegality is not a reason for appeal.

Apologies. My intention of bringing up its strength in my repeal is to point out how many of its clauses and mandates are very minimal and negligible - not to challenge the legality of the resolution - but to show how the resolution was poorly written.
Thank you for pointing out your concerns. I'll try to rewrite this clause in the next draft in order to get my point across better.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:27 pm

"Do you have a replacement being drafted?"
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:06 am

Kenmoria wrote:"Do you have a replacement being drafted?"

"It's currently being drafted. However, being that I have never made a proposal to the GA that has passed, I would prefer to work closely with an experienced writer and regional delegates to make an improved bill reaffirming nation's economic freedoms and rectifying what GAR68 failed to do."

Burninati0n
Envoy

Founded: Oct 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:15 am

Cute Puppies wrote:"It's currently being drafted. However, being that I have never made a proposal to the GA that has passed, I would prefer to work closely with an experienced writer and regional delegates to make an improved bill reaffirming nation's economic freedoms and rectifying what GAR68 failed to do."

IA is in favor of this because GAR#68 effectively blocks the GA from imposing certain kinds of free trade / free market policies, which I presume he wishes could be established. (Incidentally, it also effectively blocks the GA from imposing certain anti-trade/anti-market policies.)

However, given the current flavor of the WA, it's probably not wise to repeal GAR#68 unless you're immediately intending to block the imposition of certain free trade / free market policies, since the WA vote leans a bit in that direction. That said, there are huge issues with GAR#68, many of which you mention.

So in short, I would like to see GAR#68 repealed, but only with some assurance that its repeal won't be a door opening to the imposition of neoliberal policies on nations (such as my own) that have no interest in being ravaged by the disaster that is neoliberalism.

Cute Puppies
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Cute Puppies » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:26 am

Burninati0n wrote:
Cute Puppies wrote:"It's currently being drafted. However, being that I have never made a proposal to the GA that has passed, I would prefer to work closely with an experienced writer and regional delegates to make an improved bill reaffirming nation's economic freedoms and rectifying what GAR68 failed to do."

IA is in favor of this because GAR#68 effectively blocks the GA from imposing certain kinds of free trade / free market policies, which I presume he wishes could be established. (Incidentally, it also effectively blocks the GA from imposing certain anti-trade/anti-market policies.)

However, given the current flavor of the WA, it's probably not wise to repeal GAR#68 unless you're immediately intending to block the imposition of certain free trade / free market policies, since the WA vote leans a bit in that direction. That said, there are huge issues with GAR#68, many of which you mention.

So in short, I would like to see GAR#68 repealed, but only with some assurance that its repeal won't be a door opening to the imposition of neoliberal policies on nations (such as my own) that have no interest in being ravaged by the disaster that is neoliberalism.

What would you specifically like to see in the replacement proposal?

Burninati0n
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:39 am

Cute Puppies wrote:What would you specifically like to see in the replacement proposal?

Basically the remainder of the proposal after the excision of the clause about having to compensate private property owners. (That clause would essentially make it an international violation to have a communist revolution if people were reading it closely.) The blocker on the WA being used for arbitrary trade restrictions (or loosenings) serves to protect us from a neoliberal firestorm, and I appreciate that.

However, this is not at all an area in which I am familiar with writing, so good luck with that ;)

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:45 am

Burninati0n wrote:
Cute Puppies wrote:What would you specifically like to see in the replacement proposal?

Basically the remainder of the proposal after the excision of the clause about having to compensate private property owners. (That clause would essentially make it an international violation to have a communist revolution if people were reading it closely.) The blocker on the WA being used for arbitrary trade restrictions (or loosenings) serves to protect us from a neoliberal firestorm, and I appreciate that.

However, this is not at all an area in which I am familiar with writing, so good luck with that ;)

"That assumes that a revolution wouldn't operate as a de facto resignation. A transition from not-communist to communist over time wouldn't face significant cost issues, since nationalization could be done on schedule based on available funds. But a sudden revolution that effectively changes the government would bring up continuity issues. In effect, the old government is destroyed and the new government is installed, making many of the old laws defunct. That seems to me like a de facto repudiation of membership, since we can assume the new government would have to ratify the decision to join the World Assembly. There is no law that so specifies this, but based on the nature of sudden government changes, I don't see why this would be an unreasonable position to take on the matter."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Desmosthenes and Burke
GA Secretariat

Founded: Oct 07, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Desmosthenes and Burke » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:28 am

Burninati0n wrote:

In opposition, we would want to see the clause on compensating private property owners strengthened. We would only support a repeal and replacement that further strengthened a global system of capitalistic free trade. We see making it more difficult for nations to practice the great evils known as Socialism and Communism as a feature, not a bug and are only interested in a repeal to the extent it clears the way to relegating such evils to the dustbin of history where they belong.

OOC: Or, in plainer terms, I am not sure this should be repealed. I do not believe a replacement could be written without alienating either the left or right, while the status quo basically leaves neither of them with what they want.
Last edited by Desmosthenes and Burke on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
GA Links: Proposal Rules | GenSec Procedures | Questions and Answers | Passed Resolutions
Late 30s French Married in NYC
Mostly Catholic, Libertarian-ish supporter of Le Rassemblement Nationale and Republican Party
Current Ambassador: Iulia Larcensis Metili, Legatus Plenipotentis
WA Elite Oligarch since 2023
National Sovereigntist
Name: Demosthenes and Burke
Language: Latin + Numerous tribal languages
Majority Party and Ideology: Aurora Latine - Roman Nationalism, Liberal Conservatism

Hébreux 13:2 - N’oubliez pas l’hospitalité car, grâce à elle, certains, sans le savoir, ont accueilli des anges.

Burninati0n
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Burninati0n » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:34 am

Desmosthenes and Burke wrote:In opposition, we would want to see the clause on compensating private property owners strengthened. We would only support a repeal and replacement that further strengthened a global system of capitalistic free trade. We see making it more difficult for nations to practice the great evils known as Socialism and Communism as a feature, not a bug and are only interested in a repeal to the extent it clears the way to relegating such evils to the dustbin of history where they belong.

^ This position demonstrating the reason it might be prudent to leave even the flawed GAR68 in place!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly