NATION

PASSWORD

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Yes
42%
No
43%
Do Not Care
14%

Total votes : 472

Loltacos
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

Postby Loltacos » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:49 pm

So, I want to know want you guys think.
Is a hot dog a sandwich?
I think it is, because according to the OED, a sandwich is, "An item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with a filling between them, eaten as a light meal." And dictionary.com says, "1.
two or more slices of bread or the like with a layer of meat, fish, cheese, etc., between each pair. 2.open sandwich.. And a hot dog has a sausage in between a bun. And if that is not a sandwich, then are Subway subs not sandwiches? And, California says "A hot dog is sandwich."

FACTS ABOUT SANDWICHES
According to a Massachusetts judge, "Wraps are not sandwiches. MMMMM."
Last edited by Loltacos on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:53 pm

No, it's a dog.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Loltacos wrote:So, I want to know want you guys think.
Is a hot dog a sandwich?
P.S. Dear Mods, if I posted it in the wrong spot, please tell me via forum post in this thread.

It's fine here but two sentences do not an OP make. You should provide you're opinion, your reasons, maybe some background on the sandwich as a thing. I believe there have been court cases about what constitutes a sandwich. Get hopping.

I personally do not think a hot dog is a sandwich. It is a sausage on a bun. Hamburgers, on the other hand, are.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Loltacos wrote:So, I want to know want you guys think.
Is a hot dog a sandwich?
P.S. Dear Mods, if I posted it in the wrong spot, please tell me via forum post in this thread.

It's fine here but two sentences do not an OP make. You should provide you're opinion, your reasons, maybe some background on the sandwich as a thing. I believe there have been court cases about what constitutes a sandwich. Get hopping.

I personally do not think a hot dog is a sandwich. It is a sausage on a bun. Hamburgers, on the other hand, are.

You're.. you're crazy.. you're crazy man..

A sandwich, in my humble opinion, is default served cold though it can be heated or toasted, at which point it becomes a toasted sandwich. A hamburger has no such default cold, nor does a hot dog, they need to be heated to be essentially edible. A sandwich does not.

There is of course no standard definition here, certainly not one that substantiates my claim I'm sure, but I'm as right as right can be given a modicum of thought.
Last edited by Bombadil on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Loltacos
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Edits

Postby Loltacos » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Did that.
Last edited by Loltacos on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 pm

No, beacuse buns are different from sliced bread or chocolate.
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Party
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Party » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Bombadil wrote:A sandwich, in my humble opinion, is default served cold though it can be heated or toasted, at which point it becomes a toasted sandwich.

If anyone is crazy, it's definitely you. a toasted sandwich, by default, becomes a "Warmy warm sandvich".
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.
Moderators Lie.
"Revolt Against the Mod World"

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:04 pm

Farnhamia wrote:I personally do not think a hot dog is a sandwich. It is a sausage on a bun. Hamburgers, on the other hand, are.[/color][/b]

What if you bisect a hot dog and put it on a hamburger bun?

I might have done that a time or two when i was out of hot dog buns.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Loltacos
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Chocolate

Postby Loltacos » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:05 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:No, beacuse buns are different from sliced bread or chocolate.

Chocolate sandwich? Never heard of that.
Last edited by Loltacos on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Loltacos wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:No, beacuse buns are different from sliced bread or chocolate.

Chocolate sandwich? Never heard of that.

I was talking about ice cream sandwiches.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2016

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:07 pm

To all you misguided souls who say that a hot dog cannot be a sandwich because it is only one slice of bread, I am going to have to disagree with you there. You see, the hot dog sausage rests between two seperate loaves attached to each other at their ends, not one continual piece of bread. There are two loaves, even if they form one piece of bread. To say this is to say that siamese twins aren't two separate people because they're attached to each other.
✦ ✦ ✦ The Free Domain of Hatterleigh ✦ ✦ ✦
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:07 pm

The Black Party wrote:
Bombadil wrote:A sandwich, in my humble opinion, is default served cold though it can be heated or toasted, at which point it becomes a toasted sandwich.

If anyone is crazy, it's definitely you. a toasted sandwich, by default, becomes a "Warmy warm sandvich".

Yet a sandwich all the same..

Galloism wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I personally do not think a hot dog is a sandwich. It is a sausage on a bun. Hamburgers, on the other hand, are.[/color][/b]

What if you bisect a hot dog and put it on a hamburger bun?

Well we can point to any odd yet forced exception.. but the standard is that a sandwich can default be eaten cold or you can heat or toast it. Neither a hamburger nor a hot dog, typically, are served default as cold but can be heated..

..it's as plain as day, I don't want to get into a flame war over this.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Is this a sandwich? I think that's the real question.

Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Dogmeat
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Albrenia wrote:No, it's a dog.

But, I've eaten hot dogs.

...oh god.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:09 pm

The dictionary defines it as two pieces of bread, not two slices of bread.
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Postby Hatterleigh » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Sandwiches are a social construct.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Galloism wrote:What if you bisect a hot dog and put it on a hamburger bun?

Well we can point to any odd yet forced exception.. but the standard is that a sandwich can default be eaten cold or you can heat or toast it. Neither a hamburger nor a hot dog, typically, are served default as cold but can be heated..

I mean, there's a lot of people that refer to "hamburger sandwiches", which is just another term for a burger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger

A hamburger, beefburger or burger is a sandwich consisting of one or more cooked patties of ground meat, usually beef, placed inside a sliced bread roll or bun. The patty may be pan fried, barbecued, or flame broiled. Hamburgers are often served with cheese, lettuce, tomato, bacon, onion, pickles, or chiles; condiments such as mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, or "special sauce"; and are frequently placed on sesame seed buns. A hamburger topped with cheese is called a cheeseburger.

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:10 pm

A bun is one piece of bread; it's just bent. Thus, a hot dog is not a sandwich.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Also, I project that this thread will contain more warnings for flaming than any politics-related thread ever has or will on NSG.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Cekoviu wrote:A bun is one piece of bread; it's just bent. Thus, a hot dog is not a sandwich.

Is this a sandwich?

Sadboiz
Secretary

Founded: Jan 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sadboiz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Not really discussion related but this thread is the most cursed thing I have ever seen.
<(°_°)/
made by anfem gang

Loltacos
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Ice cream sandwiches, and agreement, OH MY!

Postby Loltacos » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:13 pm

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Loltacos wrote:Chocolate sandwich? Never heard of that.

I was talking about ice cream sandwiches.

Oh.

I agree with Galloism. Hamburgers are sandwiches.
Last edited by Loltacos on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:14 pm

Galloism wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I mean, there's a lot of people that refer to "hamburger sandwiches", which is just another term for a burger.

A hamburger, beefburger or burger is a sandwich consisting of one or more cooked patties of ground meat, usually beef, placed inside a sliced bread roll or bun. The patty may be pan fried, barbecued, or flame broiled. Hamburgers are often served with cheese, lettuce, tomato, bacon, onion, pickles, or chiles; condiments such as mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, or "special sauce"; and are frequently placed on sesame seed buns. A hamburger topped with cheese is called a cheeseburger.

Wikipedia is not a source.

十年

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:14 pm

Sadboiz wrote:Not really discussion related but this thread is the most cursed thing I have ever seen.

Heh. Not by a long shot.

I myself am now post-sandwich. I just put the filling and the bread on a plate and tear them into small pieces. Finger food.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 pm

No, the hotdog bun is a singular piece of bread that happens to open up to put the hotdog in the middle.
Bombadil wrote:
Galloism wrote:I mean, there's a lot of people that refer to "hamburger sandwiches", which is just another term for a burger.

Wikipedia is not a source.

Off topic here, but my Social Studies teacher uses Wikipedia for our sources, and my tutor gets really annoyed at that. :p

That being said, with Wikipedia getting more creditable, it may as well be a source.
Last edited by Dytarma on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General