NATION

PASSWORD

Pro-US Infantino (FIFA's President) Accused of Corruption

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Pro-US Infantino (FIFA's President) Accused of Corruption

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Ahh, FIFA, awarding hosting rights - how can there not be any corruption? As a result of a massive investigation, launched by the US, FIFA will now vote for hosts by country associations, rather than by committee. Democracy. Hell yeah! And with the US, and America's bitch, the UK, controlling quite a few votes, (the UK has Wales, Scotland, England, Gibraltar, Northern Ireland, Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Caymans, Montserrat, Turks and Caicos, and the US has Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa) and hey, that's a hefty start, what could possibly go wrong?

The first country to 104 votes wins, and the US bid starts out with all those votes mentioned above. And then reality hits. Just as when American Democracy introduced to the Middle East turned out to be based on religion and local allegiances, so too does the FIFA bid. Turns out the the African Countries, the Asian Muslim Countries, and various countries pissed off by the US, are more than happy to vote for Morocco, giving Morocco a majority and the hosting rights, and the US the pleasure of introducing Democracy to FIFA. Whoops.

And then someone remembered that FIFA was... well... FIFA. Recently, Infantino, the president of FIFA who supports the US Bid, decided to unveil a new set of requirements that could disqualify Morocco on a technicality: http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2018 ... pulations/ in the most "fuck you Morocco" way imaginable, and at the very last minute. Article's titled: Morocco Suspicion FIFA Last Minute Bid Criteria Manipulations. Needless to say, the African countries did not appreciate it: https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2018/0 ... world-cup/

Bids can be blocked from the FIFA Congress vote on June 13 if they are scored lowly by a task force, which is packed with people appointed to jobs by Infantino,” ESPN reported on March 28, clearly suggesting the reason for CAF and Morocco’s concerns about the Task Force’s credibility and “impartiality.” Some furious members of CAF are even reported to have accused the 2026 Task Force of being composed of “Infantino’s boys,” implying a “secret plot” to rule out or “eliminate” Morocco’s bid before the June 13 election in Moscow.

Like Infantino himself, almost all the members that constitute the Task Force are known for being pro-United 2026, some CAF officials said, suggesting the prevailing belief in the Moroccan press that “none of the officials in the designated Task Force knows has a good knowledge of Morocco.” The Majority of CAF’s officials, including the organization’s president Ahmad Ahmad, think that although The Task Force can freely and rightfully appraise the technical merits of contenders, it should not have the right or power to eliminate a candidate.

And for those of you wondering, yes, Morocco has the votes:

Africa - at least 49 out of 54 votes
Europe - at least 12 out of 55 votes, due to Russia's & Co, as well as Associan Francophone and countries US bombed in Europe, and yes, France & Belgium are on Morocco's side
Asia - at least 36 out of 46 votes, the Islamic Countries & Chinese Influence
South America - at least 6 out of 10 votes, apparently they're not fans of Trump (this is the only actual Trump influence on the bid, and also Monsanto's not popular there; yep, the US could lose because of Monsanto, cue laugh track)
Caribbean - at least 8 votes out of 25, with Cuba, and a few others that US treated like shit
Total: 111 votes; needed: 104 votes

Even Reddit gets it: https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/8 ... _in_peril/

I really don't understand why everyone thought this was a lock to begin with, unless they don't understand the voting process. People are going to blame corruption, but the issue is more straightforward political. You need 104 votes from the FAs. TV deals, promises of organizing tomorrow, "Texas could host alone!", etc don't really mean shit when you're talking about convincing 104 individual voters.

Let's assume that the confederations vote in blocs, which generally makes sense, especially without a private ballot. (The Suriname FA head ain't gonna want to explain to the US why he voted for Morocco.) CAF has a 56–41 edge, and that 15-vote lead expands when you remove the bidders and Guatemala. So, assuming host confederation blocs, Morocco is up 18 votes before any lobbying is done. More importantly, they're only 49 votes away. Again, it's about votes.

Then you have 26 majority-Muslim nations in AFC, plus a handful more in UEFA. Now, the appeal of a Muslim World Cup loses a little luster since it wouldn't be a pioneering moment after Qatar 2022, and the Muslim nations aren't necessarily in a bloc – differing ethnicities, the US may have close ties to some (ie., I don't know that "Muslim" alone gets Malaysia's vote, and I think Bosnia votes for the US bid) but the cultural affinity – not even the current political scene or racism but just general cultural alliance, the way the US would have favored England/Australia over Russia/Qatar if we knew we were going to lose – might get them another 20 or so votes out of that bloc. (And it's probably closer to all of them given the political climate.) Let's say it's now 75–43.

Now you just have to convince 29 of the remaining 88 votes. Maybe Sunil pissed off the head of the Ecuador FA once. Maybe some European FAs would prefer it to be in Morocco, which is easy travel and perfect for their time zones. Maybe you then grease the palms of the Tongan FA president. It's only 29 votes. Here's the other thing that everyone is missing while masturbating to the potential ticket sales of a semifinal at Jerryworld: FIFA, and by extension its member states (so the $ that funnels down to the Cook Islands and Tajikistan FAs), makes most of its money off the broadcast rights and sponsorship. Ticket sales don't really matter much in the grand scheme. FIFA might be able to get more sponsorship money from a NA World Cup, but it's probably a marginal increase. And the US broadcast rights are already signed, sealed, and delivered for 2026, so the biggest potential increase is already fixed...and unsold rights might be worth more in, say, Europe and Africa, with the time zone differences. So the, say, India FA, even if perfectly honest and not on the take, might still see more $ from a Morroco WC than a North America one.

Thoughts - NSG?

I think that if Morocco is disqualified on a technicality, the 2026 FIFA World Cup might actually be boycotted by the African, South American, Asian, and maybe even some European countries. Sometimes it's better to lose fairly, than to win on a technicality.
Last edited by Shofercia on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Snazzy Blaat
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 30, 2015

Postby Snazzy Blaat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Hurray for boycots!

Finally. We might have a chance at the world title :blush:

Western-Ukraine
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western-Ukraine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:08 pm

If it's in the American interests, it is probably good. I don't care about FIFA to any extent, as long as it's not away from me.
Factbooks: National Politics
Region: U R N

Politics is a zero-sum game.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Snazzy Blaat wrote:Hurray for boycots!

But is it really a World title if you cannot pommel Brazil in the finals? :P
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Kramanica
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Literally no one in the US cares about soccer so if this is some way of sticking it to America you've fallen pretty short.
Running out of nation names faster than I can think of them
American National Syndicalist
"B-but gun control works in Australia..."

Snazzy Blaat
Spokesperson

Postby Snazzy Blaat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Snazzy Blaat wrote:Hurray for boycots!

But is it really a World title if you cannot pommel Brazil in the finals? :P

Spain did not pommel Brazil in the 2010 tournament. So that title goes to the Dutch then :)

Snazzy Blaat
Spokesperson

Postby Snazzy Blaat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Kramanica wrote:Literally no one in the US cares about soccer so if this is some way of sticking it to America you've fallen pretty short.

If the US didn't care, why are they trying to host it? :unsure:

New Edge Mustangs
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edge Mustangs » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Hell yeah brother!!!! Murica!!

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Literally no one in the US cares about soccer so if this is some way of sticking it to America you've fallen pretty short.

Erm, really? No one?

CBS: https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/u ... -responds/

ESPN: http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-c ... co-sources

SI: https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/03/07/20 ... -fifa-vote

NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/spor ... rning.html

Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveprice ... id-details

Business Insider: http://www.businessinsider.com/us-2026- ... ger-2018-2

Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soc ... opularity/

USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/s ... 109290258/

Over 26 million Americans watched the World Cup Final when America didn't even make it: https://thebiglead.com/2014/07/14/2014- ... hed-on-tv/

Yeah, and 103 million watched the super bowl. Most Americans literally dont give a shit about soccer.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Snazzy Blaat wrote:

US often invests hundreds of millions of dollars into things Americans don't care about, like the Iraqi Reconstruction :P

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Kramanica wrote:

Yeah, and 103 million watched the super bowl. Most Americans literally dont give a shit about soccer.

More Americans watch the Super Bowl than any other sport. The NBA Finals were watched by less than 21 million Americans, https://www.statista.com/statistics/240 ... ed-states/ - so does America not care about basketball?

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Yeah, and 103 million watched the super bowl. Most Americans literally dont give a shit about soccer.

More Americans watch the Super Bowl than any other sport. The NBA Finals were watched by less than 21 million Americans, https://www.statista.com/statistics/240 ... ed-states/ - so does America not care about basketball?

Not really, no.

Snazzy Blaat
Spokesperson

Postby Snazzy Blaat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Snazzy Blaat wrote:

US often invests hundreds of millions of dollars into things Americans don't care about, like the Iraqi Reconstruction :P

Americans, please stop caring about me. Just give me 100 million dollars. Thanks.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 pm

FIFA acting corrupt, the US throwing money around to get its way, and outrage?

So... uh... must be Tuesday or something.

Unfortunate, but hardly surprising. Then again, I care as little about football as I do any other sport.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:20 pm

iirc Morocco was promised the cup a bit ago but it went to Russia instead? Or one of the other countries, can't remember what year it was for. I would be perfectly happy with it in the US, since, you know, that's close to home.

the US has Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa

Why do these get votes?

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Not really, no.

https://healthfully.com/popular-youth-s ... 42225.html

Football is the most popular youth sport in America for boys. According to Pop Warner, more than 250,000 boys participate in their youth football program. Additionally, more than 1 million boys participate in high school football, according to TN Soccer...

Basketball is a popular sport for both girls and boys. According to the U.S. Census, more than 450,000 girls played school-sponsored basketball as of 2008, making it the most popular among girls. Basketball is the second most popular sport for boys with more than 500,000 participants as of 2008...

Soccer is another sport in which participation is high in both girls and boys. In school-led programs, more than 380,000 boys and 340,000 girls participate as of 2008, according to the U.S. Census...

So to summarize:
1 million teens play - POPULAR
950,000 teens play - Meh
720,000 teens play - so very unpopular

/Kramanica Logic

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:24 pm

MERIZoC wrote:iirc Morocco was promised the cup a bit ago but it went to Russia instead? Or one of the other countries, can't remember what year it was for. I would be perfectly happy with it in the US, since, you know, that's close to home.

Why do these get votes?

FIFA rules. If you have an independent association football association, and if you properly filed the paperwork, you get the vote.

Blaat's answer's better.
Last edited by Shofercia on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:24 pm

It's soccer.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Snazzy Blaat
Spokesperson

Postby Snazzy Blaat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:24 pm

MERIZoC wrote:iirc Morocco was promised the cup a bit ago but it went to Russia instead? Or one of the other countries, can't remember what year it was for. I would be perfectly happy with it in the US, since, you know, that's close to home.

Why do these get votes?

Because FIFA has strange notions of the term country.

Curacao and Aruba are, but Sint-Maarten isn't. Huh? What?

All three have the exact same status (seperate states inside the Kingdom of Netherlands).

But FIFA changed a rule regarding who gets to be in, and Aruba was grandfathered, Curacao inherited the now grandfathered spot of the now defunct Netherlands Antilles.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:26 pm

Snazzy Blaat wrote:

Why do these get votes?

Because FIFA has strange notions of the term country.

Curacao and Aruba are, but Sint-Maarten isn't. Huh? What?

All three have the exact same status (seperate states inside the Kingdom of Netherlands).

But FIFA changed a rule regarding who gets to be in, and Aruba was grandfathered, Curacao inherited the now grandfathered spot of the now defunct Netherlands Antilles.

Cool - I didn't know that. Thanks for the info Blaat!

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Not really, no.

Football is the most popular youth sport in America for boys. According to Pop Warner, more than 250,000 boys participate in their youth football program. Additionally, more than 1 million boys participate in high school football, according to TN Soccer...

Basketball is a popular sport for both girls and boys. According to the U.S. Census, more than 450,000 girls played school-sponsored basketball as of 2008, making it the most popular among girls. Basketball is the second most popular sport for boys with more than 500,000 participants as of 2008...

Soccer is another sport in which participation is high in both girls and boys. In school-led programs, more than 380,000 boys and 340,000 girls participate as of 2008, according to the U.S. Census...

So to summarize:
950,000 teens play - Meh

/Kramanica Logic

Dude, once you get out of school no one cares.

Football (actual football, not soccer) is the sport people will burn down cities over in this country.

Get back to me when over 100 million Americans tune in to watch FIFA.
Last edited by Kramanica on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Snazzy Blaat
Spokesperson

Postby Snazzy Blaat » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:29 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

So to summarize:
950,000 teens play - Meh

/Kramanica Logic

Football (actual football, not soccer) is the sport people will burn down cities over.

Apparently football (actual football, not that stuff where you hold the ball in your hands and run with it on the field) is so not cared about, that people who do not care about it, have to tell other people that they don't care about it :roll:

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Kramanica wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

So to summarize:
950,000 teens play - Meh

/Kramanica Logic

Football (actual football, not soccer) is the sport people will burn down cities over.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/04/13/n ... ght-season

The NBA set the all-time regular-season attendance record for a third consecutive season with 21,997,412 fans attending games during the 2016-17 regular season. The new record eclipses last year’s total of 21,972,129.

NFL: Attendance of 17,253,425 and here's your source: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ndance.htm

The people attendance said games aren't usually high school students. Dude, I live in California. People here are crazy for NBA, just as they are for NFL.

Kramanica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kramanica » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:31 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Kramanica wrote:Dude, once you get out of school no one cares.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/04/13/n ... ght-season

The NBA set the all-time regular-season attendance record for a third consecutive season with 21,997,412 fans attending games during the 2016-17 regular season. The new record eclipses last year’s total of 21,972,129.

NFL: Attendance of 17,253,425 and here's your source: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ndance.htm

The people attendance said games aren't usually high school students. Dude, I live in California. People here are crazy for NBA, just as they are for NFL.

Are you just going to keep carting out different links?

That pales in comparison to the 103 million who watched the superbowl.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General