NATION

PASSWORD

Holy High: For Once, Then, Something [OOC - Open!]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

When Do We Want To Move to Arc 1?

Tuesday
15%
Wednesday
No votes
Thursday
23%
Friday
31%
Saturday
31%

Total votes : 13

Arventum
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Arventum » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:31 pm

Rostavykhan wrote:
The App

Name: Hecate/Trivia

Mythos: Witchcraft, Wicca, Olympianism, Modern Occultism

Powers / Abilities / Domains / Gear: Hecate's domain is witchcraft and the night; she holds sway over magick and spirits, and powers related to the moon. While weakened during the daytime, Hekate's power is great when the moon is overhead, and her abilities much more effective and varied.

Her powers themselves come in a variety of forms, including illusion magic, levitation and flying, and in harnessing lunar light as an offensive or supportive aid, blasting bolts of moonbeams, or conjuring bridges and helpful lights to guide ones' way. Her lunar abilities overall include conjuring lights and wards, healing, amplifying elemental magics, and destructive magic in the form of beams or bolts. During the Waxing phases of the lunar cycle, Hecate's supportive magics and healing spells are stronger, while during the waning phases, her destructive abilities are more prominent. While Hecate is well-rounded in her abilities, they are not the strongest when compared to others, with the exception of maybe her healing and supportive spells.

She has an affinity for plants and wildlife, pacifying and befriending some otherwise dangerous species (particularly wolves and dogs), and being adept at alchemy to create poisons and potions. If not using her lunar magick or potions, Hecate is learned in conducting rituals and rites to bless - or curse - other people. Other abilities not related to her magick include her strong emphatic senses, being able to piece together stories and mysteries and "read" others to a small degree, and her cooking skills - benefits of being a trained alchemist. She's able to memorize many details and events of many things, and can often spout trivial or otherwise overlooked facts and observations when needed.

Her "gear" is quite simple for the most part. She enjoys donning the stereotypical robes and hat of a witch, concealing herself and blending into the night. She wears some pouches and packs on her, carrying various alchemical ingredients and important personal effects, including food and a small knife, if she requires such provisions.

Mythical Origin: According to many accounts, Hecate (or Hekate), known as Trivia to the Romans, was one of the oldest Goddesses of Greece, patron of witchcraft and a gatekeeper who protected mortals from the spirits and other dangers. While overall a minor deity, she was worshipped in several city-states, and was immortalized in several popular legends. After the fall of Rome and the spread of Christianity across Europe, she was associated with Witches, referenced in a number of plays and tragedies, but was mostly forgotten or shunned, falling into obscurity. It wasn't until the rise of "pagan" revivals and controversial "occult" movements in the 19th and 20th century that Hecate gained more popularity, and was associated with the Wiccan faith, and modern Witchcraft.

Personality: Hecate is an introverted and somewhat lethargic person, who is usually at the peak of her activity during the night. As a night owl, she is a slightly eccentric person, somewhat manic and more open in her odd mannerism and habits due to not regularly interacting with large groups. When she does go out of her way to be in a group, it's usually with others like herself, or the odd acquaintances who have managed in some way to catch her interest.

Hecate's general attitude seems to sway from indifferent and antisocial, to whiny and snarky, to relaxed and welcoming, with no real rhyme or reason to it. While she can be antagonistic or apathetic, however, she isn't outright malicious to others, and her less-than-friendly phases can be summed up to her being a loner, or being often fatigued during daylight hours. As crabby as she can be, Hecate generally has a gentle heart, and is still capable of helping others who ask her, or tending to those in need when she sees them.

Appearance: Hecate is a seemingly normal girl of European descent, reminiscent of a citizen of the British Isles or Northern Europe. She has a soft, feminine appearance, but isn't strikingly attractive or ugly, with messy red hair and pale skin.ref1 She often dresses plainly, or plainly for her, in old-fashioned house robes or more professional outfits worn in older universities, resembling robes or cloaks. When on an outing, she prefers darker, plain witches robes.

Favorite Subject: Literature, Study Hall

Likes: Hecate has a soft spot for animals, especially dogs, certain breeds of cats, and some birds, such as crows or ravens; She enjoys interacting with and caring for them, and tends to be more energetic and happy when playing with them. When not around animals, Hecate relaxes by gardening and cultivating plants, though she prefers vegetable and alchemical gardens to flower gardens, growing potatoes and carrots to cook, or ivies and roots to grind into poisons and medicines for everyday use.

Not being totally unaware of the modern world and the interests of mortals, Hecate is a fan of the arts, enjoying modern music and literature. Literature, including young adult and fantasy books, are her favorites, while folk music (among other genres) is her tune of choice. Internet browsing and gaming, both electronic and board games, are favorite passtimes, mostly because they require little physical input and allow her to stick to herself.

Nights are her favorite, being when she is most active. Hecate is at her best in the dark, and most active past midnight, where she does most of her studying and business.

Dislikes: Hecate generally dislikes sterile or stuffy areas, enjoying the outdoors or home more, or her favorite bookstores and coffee shops. She also dislikes sports, athletics in general, or anything requiring a great deal of physical stress or loud noises beyond what she may do in the woods or at home. Parties, rallies, and rush hour are her nightmares. The day time is to her what an all-nighter is to most normal people, as it is during the day when Hecate is at her weakest, and often overcome with fatigue or feeling crabby.

Though not brought up often, Hecate has a poor opinion of Abrahamic religions, particularly Judaism & Christianity, and its representatives and deities. She is critical of their actions and rhetoric, and doesn't trust them a great deal at all. To a lesser degree, Hecate is even wary of her more established and traditional peers, who she tries to emulate with mixed results.

Theme Song: Moonsong

New/redone Hecate. Sort of felt like doing it instead of just carrying over the old one. Maybe They could be separate characters down the line? Or something. That would take some nifty justification. Anyways, was going for "that one Wiccan kid" thing, I dunno.

Also, went with a reference image of Lotte because, well, have you tried looking for a decent image or piece of media related to a traditional witch in an anime or comic style, that isn't an older woman? Shit's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Google is not my friend, nor are any other sites I know to look. I digress, anyways.

Oh! Oh shit! Also, I can edit, remove, add to, or do whatever you need with this. It's more of a rough app IMO anyways, but if it works, I works. I was wanting to just have something finished and put out by tonight, since I'm impatient and whatnot. I think I could maybe specify and rework her abilities if need be, remove or go into detail with bits and pieces if you think something might need it. I think something might be a bit off with her, so if I have to tone down or rework abilities, I'll take supportive powers over offensive.

I tend to overthink and then do too much sometimes, when it comes to apps. At least I have something to work with now. Anyways, I'll wait for your reply. Gotta clean up and do other RL stuff in the meantime.

Luminesa wrote:
Arventum wrote:Oh, someone seems to have corrupted Hekate beyond recognition, and turned her into a weird Wiccan teenager...

How unfortunate, and quite offensive to, you know, actual Wiccans and other witches who aren't into being portrayed stereotypically.

1.) Are you an actual Wiccan?

2.) Being a “weird Wiccan teenager” is offense to actual Wiccan teenagers? :eyebrow:

3.) How is Hecate being portrayed stereotypically?

4.) Instead of being passive-aggressive, why don’t you discuss with Tori what bugs you about the character? That way we can have a healthy resolution.

1.) I'm an actual witch, yes. Wiccans aren't the only witches, and just portraying Hecate in any manner that even implies she is only for Wiccans is offensive.
2.) Uhm, yeah. Hekate is the most respected Pagan Goddess on the planet, equal to Isis in how beloved she is.
3.) Firstly, she is the Mother of Angels. She isn't the Goddess of "Wicca"... th-that, no. Tori left out the Triple Goddess aspect, something more modern but very necessary. Hekate doesn't have any clear goals, like she did in the mythos. The weird, eccentric, manic, moon-focused character that is kind of basically all over the place is blatantly stereotypical. It's just... we're not unstable, and we don't like the foundation of modern paganism being displayed in a way other than what she is deserving of.
4.) Firstly, Tori turned Hecate into a maniac, bipolar character that, instead of actually having a personality, seems to be just what is wanted to be RPed at the moment.

Then there's the fact that Hekate doesn't even have most of her spheres of control or dominions. She has more than half a dozen spheres of control, and is a consort of the Underworld and Rustic Gods, especially Demeter and Persephone, and is a consort of Hermes - who is just outright her counterpart in several areas - as well.

She is the daughter of Perses and Asteria, making her born of starlight and destruction. She possesses the right to the mandate of heaven, and could very well sit on the throne if she wished to unseat Zeus. She's /stronger/ than Zeus, than Hades, than Poseidon, combined. She is exceedingly wondrous. The 'night owl' - Hekate shouldn't be portrated as a night owl. That's just taking the "moon stuff" too far. Greek deities like her, who are elusive and incapable of being properly defined as the usual deity, don't yield to simple things below them such as day and night.

Hekate isn't antisocial, and never is timid. She is confident, has control over herself, and is one of the most outgoing deities in the mythos. She is quite mighty in that manner, and has a distinct personality, is somewhat motherly, and this is displayed in everything from her seeking revenge, to siding with the Olympians, to bickering/having a hate on for Zeus after he... uh did stuff to one of her friends, to, without even a moment of doubt or hesitance, using her mystic torches to light the path for Demeter as they sought out Persephone. She is not a Goddess that can be portrayed as having no direction, as having no substance - having all of these random personality traits crammed into her is, frankly, disturbing, and very few of them are recognized as canonical by any branch of witches whom believes in Hekate.
Last edited by Arventum on Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firstly: Don't use me as a weapon. Secondly: Be careful, or I'll give ya a hug. Also, I'm, like, really bored. If you have an RP you might think I'd be even remotely interested in, please send me a PM so I can write posts instead of stalking threads! It'd be much appreciated.

Arventum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arventum » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:33 pm

Urgh, I still keep switching my spellings of her name. I'll have to make sure not to do that too often. I tend to do that when I come into contact with other spellings, but the two main spellings - Hecate and Hekate - are considered canonical, so that's fine.
Firstly: Don't use me as a weapon. Secondly: Be careful, or I'll give ya a hug. Also, I'm, like, really bored. If you have an RP you might think I'd be even remotely interested in, please send me a PM so I can write posts instead of stalking threads! It'd be much appreciated.

Auphelia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:36 pm

Arventum wrote:
1.) I'm an actual witch, yes. Wiccans aren't the only witches, and just portraying Hecate in any manner that even implies she is only for Wiccans is offensive.
2.) Uhm, yeah. Hekate is the most respected Pagan Goddess on the planet, equal to Isis in how beloved she is.
3.) Firstly, she is the Mother of Angels. She isn't the Goddess of "Wicca"... th-that, no. Tori left out the Triple Goddess aspect, something more modern but very necessary. Hekate doesn't have any clear goals, like she did in the mythos. The weird, eccentric, manic, moon-focused character that is kind of basically all over the place is blatantly stereotypical. It's just... we're not unstable, and we don't like the foundation of modern paganism being displayed in a way other than what she is deserving of.
4.) Firstly, Tori turned Hecate into a maniac, bipolar character that, instead of actually having a personality, seems to be just what is wanted to be RPed at the moment.

There are Angels of Judeo-Christian origin being played in here as well, and certainly gods/creatures of other religions as well. We could never this if we had to worry about never offending or potentially offending anyone. Sometimes you just have to deal with it.
6 Term Local Councillor of the South Pacific
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

Condemned for Being the Baddest Old Biddy
SC #307

Kyrusia wrote:...This one. This one is clever. I like this one.

Charlia wrote:You, I like.

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

Arventum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arventum » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:38 pm

Auphelia wrote:
Arventum wrote:

There are Angels of Judeo-Christian origin being played in here as well, and certainly gods/creatures of other religions as well. We could never this if we had to worry about never offending or potentially offending anyone. Sometimes you just have to deal with it.

Those are all fine, but there's a difference between playing a beloved deity in a respectful manner and turning them into what is essentially an Original Character with no consideration whatsoever with who Hekate was displayed as in the foundations of my religion. "Just deal with it" is not what is going to happen here. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Rostavykhan
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Rostavykhan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:39 pm

Eh, like I said, I'm open to making a compromise and playing her as a more modern/imposter-y kiddo anyways. I'm not opposed to letting someone who really wants to portray a more respectful God or Goddess do so if they know their stuff. I like the idea of being the younger/impressionable person anyways, or playing a character that wants to be like the other, but messes it up. Maybe like "X character wants to be like Y character, but has a habit of half-assing it or getting the wrong ideas." or something, if that makes sense.

That, or maybe redacting/revising this in another way, like a younger deity or wannabe, depending on what we can work out. I'm not too picky.
Last edited by Rostavykhan on Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEARN TO HATE ; TOTAL HATRED FOR TOTAL WAR
LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE | FEED, SEED, SNEED

Arventum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arventum » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:40 pm

Rostavykhan wrote:Eh, like I said, I'm open to making a compromise and playing her as a more modern/imposter-y kiddo anyways. I'm not opposed to letting someone who really wants to portray a more respectful God or Goddess if they know their stuff. I like the idea of being the younger/impressionable person anyways, or playing a character that wants to be like the other, but messes it up.

That, or maybe redacting/revising this in another way, depending on what we can work out. I'm not too picky.

I can suggest numerous deities who would fit with what you want. For example, the nine muses? Sometimes they are instead portrayed as being different aspects of the same entity, and this is adhered to by a number of practitioners that I know, as well as some non-witch pagans... but, uh, that might be a bit OP. You'd basically be manipulating reality, but it would be limited to art, unless you can find a way to balance it (I'm sure you can. Your Hekate is quite balanced - I was surprised with that, really. Normally people make her so insanely powerful that she could strike down Nyx with ease which, uhm, she can't).
Last edited by Arventum on Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:51 pm

Arventum wrote:
Auphelia wrote:

Those are all fine, but there's a difference between playing a beloved deity in a respectful manner and turning them into what is essentially an Original Character with no consideration whatsoever with who Hekate was displayed as in the foundations of my religion. "Just deal with it" is not what is going to happen here. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Honestly? I’m a Catholic playing a Throne who likes Rock n’ Roll and an Angel (Uriel/Lux) who is not accepted as part of the Christian canon. While I myself get really frustrated when Angels aren’t portrayed in a semi-orthodox manner (looking at you Supernatural), I think the matter is more of is your intent to portray an orthodox angel or not? For both of my characters, I hold to some of their traditional roles while adding new things, staying in the middle ground. Tori merely wants to create a character that is somewhat like the goddess. Free is playing Raphael in a bit of a laidback light (though in the past he has always done a good job). Heck, Zeus is being played as more of a semi-parody than anything on my part.

There are a lot of examples of characters just being kinda thrown around and being played however. Given, I would not want, say, for God to be portrayed as a woman if I was in an RP. However in this case, Tori has merely made a character that is intentionally spoofy/more accessible. And I’m not going to make Tori change his character unless said character is OP, amortal, badly-written, or so utterly disgusting that they have no place in the RP. None of these things he has done.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Arventum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arventum » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:52 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Arventum wrote:

Honestly? I’m a Catholic playing a Throne who likes Rock n’ Roll and an Angel (Uriel/Lux) who is not accepted as part of the Christian canon. While I myself get really frustrated when Angels aren’t portrayed in a semi-orthodox manner (looking at you Supernatural), I think the matter is more of is your intent to portray an orthodox angel or not? For both of my characters, I hold to some of their traditional roles while adding new things, staying in the middle ground. Tori merely wants to create a character that is somewhat like the goddess. Free is playing Raphael in a bit of a laidback light (though in the past he has always done a good job). Heck, Zeus is being played as more of a semi-parody than anything on my part.

There are a lot of examples of characters just being kinda thrown around and being played however. Given, I would not want, say, for God to be portrayed as a woman if I was in an RP. However in this case, Tori has merely made a character that is intentionally spoofy/more accessible. And I’m not going to make Tori change his character unless said character is OP, amortal, badly-written, or so utterly disgusting that they have no place in the RP. None of these things he has done.

I don't really know any pagans who like Zeus, cause, frankly, he is an arse, but that's not my point.

And, uhm, portraying Hekate who is only like the Goddess in name and some linked abilities is as bad as God being played as a woman for me, tbh.

Charlia
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:56 pm

Auphelia wrote:
Arventum wrote:

I mean.

I'm a Christian.

*laughs awkwardly*

And I have not been nice to canon.
Luminesa wrote:or so utterly disgusting that they have no place in the RP
Now I'm wondering what that means. *tilts head*
Arventum wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Honestly? I’m a Catholic playing a Throne who likes Rock n’ Roll and an Angel (Uriel/Lux) who is not accepted as part of the Christian canon. While I myself get really frustrated when Angels aren’t portrayed in a semi-orthodox manner (looking at you Supernatural), I think the matter is more of is your intent to portray an orthodox angel or not? For both of my characters, I hold to some of their traditional roles while adding new things, staying in the middle ground. Tori merely wants to create a character that is somewhat like the goddess. Free is playing Raphael in a bit of a laidback light (though in the past he has always done a good job). Heck, Zeus is being played as more of a semi-parody than anything on my part.

I don't really know any pagans who like Zeus, cause, frankly, he is an arse, but that's not my point.

And, uhm, portraying Hekate who is only like the Goddess in name and some linked abilities is as bad as God being played as a woman for me, tbh.
*hides Touhou games* You saw nothing.

Arventum
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arventum » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:01 pm

Charlia wrote:
Auphelia wrote:
I mean.

I'm a Christian.

*laughs awkwardly*

And I have not been nice to canon.
Luminesa wrote:or so utterly disgusting that they have no place in the RP
Now I'm wondering what that means. *tilts head*
Arventum wrote:

*hides Touhou games* You saw nothing.

I used to be a Christian. My mother is a Southern democrat in Oklahoma, and highly conservative. I'm gay - flamboyantly so - and constantly questioned the Bible even as a child. One of my first conclusions when I was around 8 was that God was manipulative, abusive, and told a half-truth to get his own children - whom he threatened to kill - to do what he wanted. My mother was mortified. Not only was it a bit heavy for an 8 year old, but it went against everything she had taught me.

I explained how religion in science went hand-in-hand, and was frequently told "I don't know" as an answer because I am incredibly persistent, and eventually went on to publish a few hard-hitting essays and pamphlets. My point is that I understand being a bit wild. I was, even though I was incredibly devout up until I was around 15 or 16, but there is a difference between portraying things in a certain way that are a little different, and doing whatever you want with something.

A more laid back Raphael is possible. The Bible was written centuries ago. We have no idea what Raphael is up to.,

And Uriel? You realize that the scrolls he was in were almost included in the Bible, right? For all the "no editing" talked about in the Bible, as far as I know on Earth mass produces a pure, but modernized translation of the original Bible. Even the Catholic church added things, and recognizes things that aren't necessarily in the Bible. There are manipulated translations that portray what is wanted, additions of mythical creatures that the Israelites never even believed in, and more in various versions of the Bible. Some are more open-minded to things excluded from the Bible since they technically should be a part of it if you believe the Bible should contain, well, all things could are legitimately Biblical and somehow linked to Christ.
Last edited by Arventum on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:04 pm

Arventum wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Honestly? I’m a Catholic playing a Throne who likes Rock n’ Roll and an Angel (Uriel/Lux) who is not accepted as part of the Christian canon. While I myself get really frustrated when Angels aren’t portrayed in a semi-orthodox manner (looking at you Supernatural), I think the matter is more of is your intent to portray an orthodox angel or not? For both of my characters, I hold to some of their traditional roles while adding new things, staying in the middle ground. Tori merely wants to create a character that is somewhat like the goddess. Free is playing Raphael in a bit of a laidback light (though in the past he has always done a good job). Heck, Zeus is being played as more of a semi-parody than anything on my part.

I know someone who practices Greek mythology. Would have to ask them how they feel about Zeus.

Furthermore, Hecate is oftentimes prostrated as a goddess of Wicca. A Triple Goddess, in fact:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_ ... eopaganism)
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Charlia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:09 pm

Arventum wrote:
Charlia wrote:I mean.

I'm a Christian.

*laughs awkwardly*

And I have not been nice to canon.Now I'm wondering what that means. *tilts head**hides Touhou games* You saw nothing.

I used to be a Christian. My mother is a Southern democrat in Oklahoma, and highly conservative. I'm gay - flamboyantly so - and constantly questioned the Bible even as a child. One of my first conclusions when I was around 8 was that God was manipulative, abusive, and told a half-truth to get his own children - whom he threatened to kill - to do what he wanted. My mother was mortified. Not only was it a bit heavy for an 8 year old, but it went against everything she had taught me.
That sounds... a lot like something I would've done. Or, something I would've done had I been the way I am today as a child. (I was once young, innocent, naive... honestly, I scarce believe it myself.)

I can sort of understand the gay bit though. I'm asexual, and even though there's actually support for that in the Bible, my mother doesn't like me talking about it because 'people will take it the wrong way'. (Yet, I'm pretty sure that's a them problem, not a me problem.) I can't imagine what her reaction would be if I were actually gay... I hope things aren't too bad for you. :(

Rostavykhan
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Rostavykhan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:11 pm

Still willing to play it so that my character may not be the Hecate, maybe go with an alternate name, maybe an impostor or kid-with-the-same-name situation, I dunno.

But that's up to OP and/or assuming that Arv is interested in portraying a more serious deity.

Not really because I don't want to offend, because I hardly care - I'm a religion-bashing Neo-Confederate Socialist, so my apathy levels on that end are pretty high. I just suggested it just because it might be more convenient in sorting things out for the RP. What works for the thread, other players and whatnot. I dunno. It could let someone play a more serious deity while I carry on with my own thing.
Last edited by Rostavykhan on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:13 pm

Arventum wrote:
Rostavykhan wrote:
The App

Name: Hecate/Trivia

Mythos: Witchcraft, Wicca, Olympianism, Modern Occultism

Powers / Abilities / Domains / Gear: Hecate's domain is witchcraft and the night; she holds sway over magick and spirits, and powers related to the moon. While weakened during the daytime, Hekate's power is great when the moon is overhead, and her abilities much more effective and varied.

Her powers themselves come in a variety of forms, including illusion magic, levitation and flying, and in harnessing lunar light as an offensive or supportive aid, blasting bolts of moonbeams, or conjuring bridges and helpful lights to guide ones' way. Her lunar abilities overall include conjuring lights and wards, healing, amplifying elemental magics, and destructive magic in the form of beams or bolts. During the Waxing phases of the lunar cycle, Hecate's supportive magics and healing spells are stronger, while during the waning phases, her destructive abilities are more prominent. While Hecate is well-rounded in her abilities, they are not the strongest when compared to others, with the exception of maybe her healing and supportive spells.

She has an affinity for plants and wildlife, pacifying and befriending some otherwise dangerous species (particularly wolves and dogs), and being adept at alchemy to create poisons and potions. If not using her lunar magick or potions, Hecate is learned in conducting rituals and rites to bless - or curse - other people. Other abilities not related to her magick include her strong emphatic senses, being able to piece together stories and mysteries and "read" others to a small degree, and her cooking skills - benefits of being a trained alchemist. She's able to memorize many details and events of many things, and can often spout trivial or otherwise overlooked facts and observations when needed.

Her "gear" is quite simple for the most part. She enjoys donning the stereotypical robes and hat of a witch, concealing herself and blending into the night. She wears some pouches and packs on her, carrying various alchemical ingredients and important personal effects, including food and a small knife, if she requires such provisions.

Mythical Origin: According to many accounts, Hecate (or Hekate), known as Trivia to the Romans, was one of the oldest Goddesses of Greece, patron of witchcraft and a gatekeeper who protected mortals from the spirits and other dangers. While overall a minor deity, she was worshipped in several city-states, and was immortalized in several popular legends. After the fall of Rome and the spread of Christianity across Europe, she was associated with Witches, referenced in a number of plays and tragedies, but was mostly forgotten or shunned, falling into obscurity. It wasn't until the rise of "pagan" revivals and controversial "occult" movements in the 19th and 20th century that Hecate gained more popularity, and was associated with the Wiccan faith, and modern Witchcraft.

Personality: Hecate is an introverted and somewhat lethargic person, who is usually at the peak of her activity during the night. As a night owl, she is a slightly eccentric person, somewhat manic and more open in her odd mannerism and habits due to not regularly interacting with large groups. When she does go out of her way to be in a group, it's usually with others like herself, or the odd acquaintances who have managed in some way to catch her interest.

Hecate's general attitude seems to sway from indifferent and antisocial, to whiny and snarky, to relaxed and welcoming, with no real rhyme or reason to it. While she can be antagonistic or apathetic, however, she isn't outright malicious to others, and her less-than-friendly phases can be summed up to her being a loner, or being often fatigued during daylight hours. As crabby as she can be, Hecate generally has a gentle heart, and is still capable of helping others who ask her, or tending to those in need when she sees them.

Appearance: Hecate is a seemingly normal girl of European descent, reminiscent of a citizen of the British Isles or Northern Europe. She has a soft, feminine appearance, but isn't strikingly attractive or ugly, with messy red hair and pale skin.ref1 She often dresses plainly, or plainly for her, in old-fashioned house robes or more professional outfits worn in older universities, resembling robes or cloaks. When on an outing, she prefers darker, plain witches robes.

Favorite Subject: Literature, Study Hall

Likes: Hecate has a soft spot for animals, especially dogs, certain breeds of cats, and some birds, such as crows or ravens; She enjoys interacting with and caring for them, and tends to be more energetic and happy when playing with them. When not around animals, Hecate relaxes by gardening and cultivating plants, though she prefers vegetable and alchemical gardens to flower gardens, growing potatoes and carrots to cook, or ivies and roots to grind into poisons and medicines for everyday use.

Not being totally unaware of the modern world and the interests of mortals, Hecate is a fan of the arts, enjoying modern music and literature. Literature, including young adult and fantasy books, are her favorites, while folk music (among other genres) is her tune of choice. Internet browsing and gaming, both electronic and board games, are favorite passtimes, mostly because they require little physical input and allow her to stick to herself.

Nights are her favorite, being when she is most active. Hecate is at her best in the dark, and most active past midnight, where she does most of her studying and business.

Dislikes: Hecate generally dislikes sterile or stuffy areas, enjoying the outdoors or home more, or her favorite bookstores and coffee shops. She also dislikes sports, athletics in general, or anything requiring a great deal of physical stress or loud noises beyond what she may do in the woods or at home. Parties, rallies, and rush hour are her nightmares. The day time is to her what an all-nighter is to most normal people, as it is during the day when Hecate is at her weakest, and often overcome with fatigue or feeling crabby.

Though not brought up often, Hecate has a poor opinion of Abrahamic religions, particularly Judaism & Christianity, and its representatives and deities. She is critical of their actions and rhetoric, and doesn't trust them a great deal at all. To a lesser degree, Hecate is even wary of her more established and traditional peers, who she tries to emulate with mixed results.

Theme Song: Moonsong

New/redone Hecate. Sort of felt like doing it instead of just carrying over the old one. Maybe They could be separate characters down the line? Or something. That would take some nifty justification. Anyways, was going for "that one Wiccan kid" thing, I dunno.

Also, went with a reference image of Lotte because, well, have you tried looking for a decent image or piece of media related to a traditional witch in an anime or comic style, that isn't an older woman? Shit's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Google is not my friend, nor are any other sites I know to look. I digress, anyways.

Oh! Oh shit! Also, I can edit, remove, add to, or do whatever you need with this. It's more of a rough app IMO anyways, but if it works, I works. I was wanting to just have something finished and put out by tonight, since I'm impatient and whatnot. I think I could maybe specify and rework her abilities if need be, remove or go into detail with bits and pieces if you think something might need it. I think something might be a bit off with her, so if I have to tone down or rework abilities, I'll take supportive powers over offensive.

I tend to overthink and then do too much sometimes, when it comes to apps. At least I have something to work with now. Anyways, I'll wait for your reply. Gotta clean up and do other RL stuff in the meantime.

Luminesa wrote:1.) Are you an actual Wiccan?

2.) Being a “weird Wiccan teenager” is offense to actual Wiccan teenagers? :eyebrow:

3.) How is Hecate being portrayed stereotypically?

4.) Instead of being passive-aggressive, why don’t you discuss with Tori what bugs you about the character? That way we can have a healthy resolution.

Then there's the fact that Hekate doesn't even have most of her spheres of control or dominions. She has more than half a dozen spheres of control, and is a consort of the Underworld and Rustic Gods, especially Demeter and Persephone, and is a consort of Hermes - who is just outright her counterpart in several areas - as well.

She is the daughter of Perses and Asteria, making her born of starlight and destruction. She possesses the right to the mandate of heaven, and could very well sit on the throne if she wished to unseat Zeus. She's /stronger/ than Zeus, than Hades, than Poseidon, combined. She is exceedingly wondrous. The 'night owl' - Hekate shouldn't be portrated as a night owl. That's just taking the "moon stuff" too far. Greek deities like her, who are elusive and incapable of being properly defined as the usual deity, don't yield to simple things below them such as day and night.

Hekate isn't antisocial, and never is timid. She is confident, has control over herself, and is one of the most outgoing deities in the mythos. She is quite mighty in that manner, and has a distinct personality, is somewhat motherly, and this is displayed in everything from her seeking revenge, to siding with the Olympians, to bickering/having a hate on for Zeus after he... uh did stuff to one of her friends, to, without even a moment of doubt or hesitance, using her mystic torches to light the path for Demeter as they sought out Persephone. She is not a Goddess that can be portrayed as having no direction, as having no substance - having all of these random personality traits crammed into her is, frankly, disturbing, and very few of them are recognized as canonical by any branch of witches whom believes in Hekate.

1: You're looking for a reason to be offended. S/he is portraying Hecate as a wiccan, that doesn't mean she is only for Wiccans by any stretch of the imagination. .
2: Good for you. This is an RP, it doesn't need to be completely accurate
3: Again, doesn't need to be completely accurate. Every character here is in some way a corruption of the actual god/goddess/deity, otherwise, news flash, they wouldn't be in high school.
4: Again. Doesn't need to be completely accurate. This is an RP. Tori can portray Hecate however the hell she wants. You being offended is your own decision. If she wants her to be timid, then she can make her timid. If you care so much about someone not portraying the goddess in the exact way that you are familiar, perhaps you should have apped for her yourself. If you can't deal with that, then too bad. You aren't the only person here. God isn't the exactly like the idea of the Christian God, obviously, here. Do you see me going off about how I'm offended for my well established and acknowledged religion? No. Same with any angel. Yet you, since you claim to be a so called witch, feel that an online RP portrayal of a goddess that you happen to respect and/or worship is an insult to your very self. Do you not see how absurdly thin-skinned this looks? It's obnoxious and pointless. Perhaps a better thing to do would be to simply say "I happen to worship this goddess, and that's not exactly how she is portrayed in my religion, this is how we see it, but cool."

Instead, you decide that it is your solemn duty to make sure Hecate is exactly as you see her. Not your character, you have absolutely zero say in the matter.

Besides that 'beloved deity' is a massive stretch, as whatever you want to call your fringe religion is made up of a ridiculously small portion of the population.

Literally no one else here is complaining about an incorrect portrayal of their religion, so stop. Seriously. I don't try to be offensive, but you are acting like what I would call a snowflake. I don't care that you claim to be gay. I don't care that you claim to be a witch. I care that you are unnecessarily acting offended.

Rostavykhan wrote:Still willing to play it so that my character may not be the Hecate, maybe go with an alternate name, maybe an impostor or kid-with-the-same-name situation, I dunno.

But that's up to OP and/or assuming that Arv is interested in portraying a more serious deity.

Not really because I don't want to offend, because I hardly care - I'm a religion-bashing Neo-Confederate Socialist, so my apathy levels on that end are pretty high. I just suggested it just because it might be more convenient in sorting things out for the RP. What works for the thread, other players and whatnot. I dunno. It could let someone play a more serious deity while I carry on with my own thing.

Do whatever you want, portray your characters however you want. He has no say over your character whatsoever. You did absolutely nothing wrong, and personally I'm annoyed that he made this into an issue in the first place.

Yeah, there's nothing in that app that should be offending anyone. You never stated that she was 'just for Wiccans,' even citing other religious sects that worshiped her and simply saying she was associated with them.
Last edited by Ranoria on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom
Champions: NSCF 20, 22, 27, 29, 30. World Bowl 42, 43, 46, WBC 57

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:14 pm

Arventum wrote:
Charlia wrote:I mean.

I'm a Christian.

*laughs awkwardly*

And I have not been nice to canon.Now I'm wondering what that means. *tilts head**hides Touhou games* You saw nothing.

I explained how religion in science went hand-in-hand, and was frequently told "I don't know" as an answer because I am incredibly persistent, and eventually went on to publish a few hard-hitting essays and pamphlets. My point is that I understand being a bit wild. I was, even though I was incredibly devout up until I was around 15 or 16, but there is a difference between portraying things in a certain way that are a little different, and doing whatever you want with something.

A more laid back Raphael is possible. The Bible was written centuries ago. We have no idea what Raphael is up to.,

And Uriel? You realize that the scrolls he was in were almost included in the Bible, right? For all the "no editing" talked about in the Bible, as far as I know on Earth mass produces a pure, but modernized translation of the original Bible. Even the Catholic church added things, and recognizes things that aren't necessarily in the Bible. There are manipulated translations that portray what is wanted, additions of mythical creatures that the Israelites never even believed in, and more in various versions of the Bible. Some are more open-minded to things excluded from the Bible since they technically should be a part of it if you believe the Bible should contain, well, all things could are legitimately Biblical and somehow linked to Christ.

> The Bible was written centuries ago.
Wrong, the Bible was written from the time of Moses to about 94 to 100 AD, if we go from the origins of Genesis to the origins of Revelation. The Bible was then compiled around 325 AD. The Catholic Bible uses all the books that were compiled at that time. Uriel was not recognized because he is not explicitly mentioned among the Archangels in the Bible. Why he is accepted by the Orthodox I am not certain.

> No editing talk.
Are we having the same conversation or are you shadowboxing? Seriously. It’s a habit I myself have trouble with. But I never said the Bible was NOT edited. There were several books that were deemed apocryphal when the Bible was compiled. Nevertheless this really isn’t the thread to discuss Christian theology and the Bible, though you are welcome to join the CDT.

> We have no idea what Raphael was up to, so write him how you want, but don’t write Hecate however you want.
This is the problem. Either I allow people to play (most) of the characters how they so choose within acceptable limits, or I force everyone to play them completely orthodox. I have to be fair to everyone. I can’t say, “Raphael could have had sex with groupies for all we know,” but then suddenly switch gears when Hecate is not written entirely as the goddess you worship. I will enforce when things are taken a little too far out of line, but Tori has already explained his character is not meant to be precisely Hecate.

Besides! This RP is about having fun and exploring gods, goddesses, and mythology in an odd new light. Of course people are going to play their characters a little different than usual, and that’s okay.
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:15 pm

Ran, I got this. No need to add on. Thank you!
-Alan Jackson

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:18 pm

Luminesa wrote:Ran, I got this. No need to add on. Thank you!

Can't solve everything with hugs n kisses ma...

Sometimes ya need a pupper!
Last edited by Ranoria on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan of football, the Murican kind. But soccer is cool too! Just not really my thing. C(:^D/-<
I go by Ran. Unless, of course, you want to type out Ranoria. That's your decision.
Lumi is my NS mom

Hosting: Co-Host WB 44, 47, Host WB 46, plus some NSCAA/NSCF conferences here and there

Syrixces
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Syrixces » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:19 pm

I'm busy, I won't lie. Too busy to OP, to maintain a rigged posting schedule.

But on the other hand, I can't help but love this.

Maybe when my schedule cools down, I'd like to be a part of this, as an rper, to get the other side of it.

So yeah, Tag from the dead.

Charlia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Charlia » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:19 pm

Meanwhile, I could've missed something, but I'm pretty sure Free's apps never got reviewed.

S i t k a
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:23 pm

Hmm... anyone who knows me knows that I have trouble keeping up with roleplays, but if I end up having time for this one I think I have an idea. Why not a rebellious student that doesn't want anything to do with being a god or goddess? That could make things interesting.
The United Settlements of Sitka - the land of friendly vampires, camaraderie, and cloudberry pie
A small corner of the world in 1872. Set in the world of the video game 80 Days, with supernatural beings mixed in. Several factbooks need to be redone.
I'm socially awkward sometimes, and bad at keeping up with things due to life's hecticness, so I might not always be the best at roleplays etc.
The Times: Englishman Phileas Fogg departs London, having bet £20,000 that he can circumnavigate the globe in 80 days.
Local News: Karl Marx visits Sitka, is "impressed".

Ask questions about this strange place! ---- Make the Ram's Head Saloon great again!

Rostavykhan
Minister

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Rostavykhan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:24 pm

S i t k a wrote:Hmm... anyone who knows me knows that I have trouble keeping up with roleplays, but if I end up having time for this one I think I have an idea. Why not a rebellious student that doesn't want anything to do with being a god or goddess? That could make things interesting.

I could get behind this.

Rebels are cool. So are outcasts.

Auphelia
Minister

Founded: Jan 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Auphelia » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:25 pm

Ranoria wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Ran, I got this. No need to add on. Thank you!

Can't solve everything with hugs n kisses ma...

I HAVE HAD THIS GIF IN A PINNED TAB ON MY COMPUTER FOR SEVERAL MONTHS!!!! I LOVE THE BABY PUPPY!!!
6 Term Local Councillor of the South Pacific
The Grand Dame of Deliciously, Despicably Dastardly Deeds and Devilishly Deranged Doings

Condemned for Being the Baddest Old Biddy
SC #307

Kyrusia wrote:...This one. This one is clever. I like this one.

Charlia wrote:You, I like.

You're entertaining. And your signature makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insiiii--

Ranoria
Post Marshal

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ranoria » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:26 pm

Auphelia wrote:
Ranoria wrote:Can't solve everything with hugs n kisses ma...

I HAVE HAD THIS GIF IN A PINNED TAB ON MY COMPUTER FOR SEVERAL MONTHS!!!! I LOVE THE BABY PUPPY!!!

I'm so happy you know of this. XD I just saw it and my heart melted a little bit.
Lumi is my NS mom

S i t k a
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:27 pm

Rostavykhan wrote:
S i t k a wrote:Hmm... anyone who knows me knows that I have trouble keeping up with roleplays, but if I end up having time for this one I think I have an idea. Why not a rebellious student that doesn't want anything to do with being a god or goddess? That could make things interesting.

I could get behind this.

Rebels are cool. So are outcasts.

Assuming characters don't necessarily have to be 'good' deities, perhaps he/she is supposed to be some evil deity of destruction or whatever. Despite their nature they don't want anything to do with that, but they aren't given a choice because... I don't know. Laws of the cosmos or whatever. I'll have to think of a better way to put it.
The United Settlements of Sitka - the land of friendly vampires, camaraderie, and cloudberry pie
A small corner of the world in 1872. Set in the world of the video game 80 Days, with supernatural beings mixed in. Several factbooks need to be redone.
I'm socially awkward sometimes, and bad at keeping up with things due to life's hecticness, so I might not always be the best at roleplays etc.
The Times: Englishman Phileas Fogg departs London, having bet £20,000 that he can circumnavigate the globe in 80 days.
Local News: Karl Marx visits Sitka, is "impressed".

Ask questions about this strange place! ---- Make the Ram's Head Saloon great again!

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:32 pm

Charlia wrote:Meanwhile, I could've missed something, but I'm pretty sure Free's apps never got reviewed.

No I gave them a look. They seem fine to me.
-Alan Jackson

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse