NATION

PASSWORD

[FAILED QUORUM] Ban On Cannibalism Attempt Two

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Libana
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Libana » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Imperial Polk County wrote:"A mite late for changes, seeing it's been submitted."

I did not want it myself, but there was way too much opposition. If you look at earlier posts, the biggest topic brought up was funererary cannibalism.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:07 am

Libana wrote:
Imperial Polk County wrote:"A mite late for changes, seeing it's been submitted."

I did not want it myself, but there was way too much opposition. If you look at earlier posts, the biggest topic brought up was funererary cannibalism.

Well, I guess the only thing to do now is to to watch and wait to see how much support this proposal will obtain. Personally, due to the controversy, I do not think this will pass, though it will almost certainly pass quorum.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:17 am

Kenmoria wrote:
Libana wrote:

Well, I guess the only thing to do now is to to watch and wait to see how much support this proposal will obtain. Personally, due to the controversy, I do not think this will pass, though it will almost certainly pass quorum.

OOC: Not really. It only has 1 hour and 6 hours left of voting yet it only received 26 approvals. Unless a miracle occurs, it would be almost impossible for the proposal to garner 79 approvals within the next 30 hours. Right now, it has to garner an average of 2-3 approvals per hour in order for it to reach quorum by (quite literally) the very last minute of voting.
Last edited by He Qixin on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacknjellify wrote:Watch Battle For Dream Island or be eliminated.

According to this index, this civilization is:
Tier: 8
Level: 5
Type: 6
A 9 civilization because I lean more towards it.

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:49 am

He Qixin wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:Well, I guess the only thing to do now is to to watch and wait to see how much support this proposal will obtain. Personally, due to the controversy, I do not think this will pass, though it will almost certainly pass quorum.

OOC: Not really. It only has 1 hour and 6 hours left of voting yet it only received 26 approvals. Unless a miracle occurs, it would be almost impossible for the proposal to garner 79 approvals within the next 30 hours. Right now, it has to garner an average of 2-3 approvals per hour in order for it to reach quorum by (quite literally) the very last minute of voting.

(OOC: I really should have checked the WA vote page before saying that; my prior comment was based solely on what I have seen in the drafting thread. In that case, this proposal isn't going very far at all.)
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Imperial Polk County
Envoy

Founded: Aug 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Polk County » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:17 am

Libana wrote:

"You are only an egg, so I don't think you grok the consequences of including that line. I would daresay that there are many more nations in the World Assembly that outlaw cannibalism than there are those who allow it. So what you're doing isn't at all a 'Ban on Cannibalism' and allowing nations to exempt, for example, followers of the Church of All Worlds. It's more 'Legalize Voluntary Cannibalism', since the net effect of your proposal would be to force a great many WA nations to change their laws to allow voluntary cannibalism. Are you grokking?"

Anyone who hasn't read Stranger in a Strange Land, what are you waiting for?
-- Herbert Jackson Drane IV, WA Ambassador of the newly independent Imperial Polk County, Population 665,000. That "xxx million" population stat? It's most certainly a typo.

Libana
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Libana » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:59 am

The draft failed to reach quorum. I guess there is really no need to comment anymore. That was pretty disappointing, but I'm fine. I guess I will stay of the forums for a while.

The Evermind
Secretary

Founded: Jun 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Evermind » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:06 am

This is clearly cultural imperialism in action. Or, perhaps, cultural cannibalism.
"Gods cannot be awakened or put to sleep by the unheard wailing of microbes, nor swayed in their thought by creatures beneath their notice."

"Come forth, and fear not. Why be a footstool to peasants in finery, when one could be an acolyte to emperors of the void?"

Proud participant of The Nth Crusade regional RP.

Does it look like I'm using NS stats? :D

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:42 am

Libana wrote:The draft failed to reach quorum. I guess there is really no need to comment anymore. That was pretty disappointing, but I'm fine. I guess I will stay of the forums for a while.

(OOC: Don't be disheartened if your first proposal doesn't make it. My first didn't even make it out of the drafting stage.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Ponaeamic
Secretary

Founded: Feb 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ponaeamic » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:21 pm

Libana wrote:The draft failed to reach quorum. I guess there is really no need to comment anymore. That was pretty disappointing, but I'm fine. I guess I will stay of the forums for a while.

Never give up. I would recommend that you find an experienced Legislator and work with them on a proposal that can borrow some aspects of this. But make sure you focus on wording. This cause, due to how it is worded, would never have made it through a vote. But had you began planning different clauses and exemptions, maybe even touched upon the topic of "Voluntary Cannibalism", then I thinkyour draft could have found a quorum. Just remember this for next time.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly