NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] The Universal Pet Protection Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
South St Maarten
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 16, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[DRAFT] The Universal Pet Protection Act

Postby South St Maarten » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:03 pm

The Universal Pet Protection Act
By Cypriot Island And South St Maarten

The World Assembly,

Acknowledging that there are thousands of cases of pet abuse worldwide,

Noting that pets are often subject to violent abuse,

Understanding that no pets should be subject to abuse and harm,

Acknowledging that pets are animals owned by families and are not farm animals,

Hereby,

1. Establishes the International Pet Protection Agency (IPPA), an organization that campaigns for pet rights while trying to bring pet abusers to justice.

2. Affirms that pet owners must:

A. provide the animal with food, care and housing appropriate to its species, its requirements and behaviour;

B. may not restrict the animal's possibility of species-specific freedom of movement to such an extent as to cause the animal pain or avoidable suffering or harm;

C. possess the knowledge and skills necessary for providing the animal with adequate food, care and housing in accordance with its behavioural requirements.

3. Prohibits the arbitrary unethical killing of pets, and any other unnatural violence against pets, which includes but is not limited to beating or abusing pets and chaining them to cages

4. Encourages member nations to promote non-WA nations to accept this resolution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former First & Second Deputy Commissioner Of Europe
European Undersecretary For Culture
European Ambassador To The Western Isles
Member Of The European Home & Foreign Offices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of character unless noted otherwise. Any Questions, Comments, or Concerns, feel free to telegram me! :D

The Riga-Tallin Commonwealth
Civilian

Founded: Nov 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Riga-Tallin Commonwealth » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:09 pm

I like the proposal. Looks good to me.

The Bavarian-Austrian Union
Civilian

Founded: Feb 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Bavarian-Austrian Union » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Seems fine. I would be against it had it not shown the distinction between farm animals and pets. I want to protect farmer's rights.

Corporal Newkirk
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Corporal Newkirk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:21 pm

I remember your other proposal which I was against because of the drafting. However, this seems like quite a good proposal. I would support it.

Masurbia
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:08 pm

I suggest looking at repealed resolution Prevention of Animal Abuse to see why it was repealed. I'm also going to ask the simple question of, what is a pet?
I see, therefore I am not blind.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Masurbia wrote:I'm also going to ask the simple question of, what is a pet?

OOC: Uh, it is already defined. It is literally right there in the draft:

South St Maarten wrote:Acknowledging that pets are animals owned by families and are not farm animals
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Masurbia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:56 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Masurbia wrote:I'm also going to ask the simple question of, what is a pet?

OOC: Uh, it is already defined. It is literally right there in the draft:

South St Maarten wrote:Acknowledging that pets are animals owned by families and are not farm animals

Yes I saw that but I see that as more of a preamble and not a definition. It's also so broad in terms that literally anything could be a "pet."

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:12 pm

Masurbia wrote:

Yes I saw that but I see that as more of a preamble and not a definition.

OOC: It can be both surely?

Masurbia wrote:It's also so broad in terms that literally anything could be a "pet."

OOC: And? "An animal owned by a family that is not a farm animal" is broad enough without being too limiting. I mean, who are we to say that the likes of a Golden Eagle cannot be a pet, etc? Are you proposing that we start policing which animals can be pets and which cannot?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Masurbia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Masurbia » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:17 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Masurbia wrote:Yes I saw that but I see that as more of a preamble and not a definition.

OOC: It can be both surely?

Yes, and I completely understand what you're saying, but usually a definition goes after the Hereby. :)
Masurbia wrote:It's also so broad in terms that literally anything could be a "pet."

OOC: And? "An animal owned by a family that is not a farm animal" is broad enough without being too limiting. I mean, who are we to say that the likes of a Golden Eagle cannot be a pet, etc? Are you proposing that we start policing which animals can be pets and which cannot?

Many people see pigs or goats or other farm animals as pets, so are they not protected? And I am not endorsing this proposal. An agency solely designed to do something that regular law enforcement agencies already do gets my disapproval, nevermind the terrible structure and wording.

Alpha Cassiopeiae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Alpha Cassiopeiae » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:07 pm

"I like it, but do we have to add another committee?"
Ambassador to the World Assembly: Albinus Krantz
General Ambassador to the World: Marian Novak

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:22 am

"Category? Strength?"
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Industrial West Virginia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial West Virginia » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:58 am

I was going to dissect this, then I realized that I could just sum it up without doing that. There are no grounds on which pets should be protected over other farm animals. Dogs taste like meat. Cats taste like meat. Dogs and cats in different cultures are used as food and as breeding fodder for sports or science. You can not ban cultures just because you don't like them. There are no grounds on which animals should be treated differently just because your society has different standards.
The absolute madman.

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:04 am

I'll support. Housecats must be protected!

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:58 am

"I would replace the acknowledging clause with a defining one, though the definition is a bit vague and probably needs to be changed."
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Norvert
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Norvert » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:45 am

You should probably define what a farm animal is as well because, as Masurbia pointed out, pigs are traditionally seen as farm animals but some people also use them as pets.

I do support the proposal in its current state, however.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:15 am

(OOC: I assume by who is on the forums, that Cypriot is the co-author and you are the author. I would clarify this somewhere in the opening post.)
My pronouns are he/him.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:52 am

OOC: So only animals owned by families can be pets? Not animals owned by single people?
Last edited by Araraukar on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:33 am

"Cats deserve special protections."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

The First German Order
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:40 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:"Cats deserve special protections."

“No, no, no. You’ve got it all wrong! Dachshunds, or really dogs in general, deserve special protections.”
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:45 am

The First German Order wrote:
Separatist Peoples wrote:"Cats deserve special protections."

“No, no, no. You’ve got it all wrong! Dachshunds, or really dogs in general, deserve special protections.”

Bell throws the First German Ambassador out the nearest window. He does not do so gracefully, and he does not wait for the splash.

He sits back down.

"Cats. Deserve. Special. Protections."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Imperial Polk County
Envoy

Founded: Aug 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Polk County » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:49 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
The First German Order wrote:“No, no, no. You’ve got it all wrong! Dachshunds, or really dogs in general, deserve special protections.”

Bell throws the First German Ambassador out the nearest window. He does not do so gracefully, and he does not wait for the splash.

He sits back down.

"Jesus, Bell, you don't have to-- ahhhh, I see what you did there."
-- Herbert Jackson Drane IV, WA Ambassador of the newly independent Imperial Polk County, Population 665,000. That "xxx million" population stat? It's most certainly a typo.

The First German Order
Envoy

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The First German Order » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:03 am

Separatist Peoples wrote:
The First German Order wrote:“No, no, no. You’ve got it all wrong! Dachshunds, or really dogs in general, deserve special protections.”

He sits back down.

*Faintly*
“I’m...not... okay...”
”Nuclear strikes do not damage the phone network. The atom respects your right to a final call.” - Dumb Ideologies

No Name Available
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby No Name Available » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Kenmoria wrote:"I would replace the acknowledging clause with a defining one, though the definition is a bit vague and probably needs to be changed."

"Definition of a pet should be clearly marked and labeled as such. I do think that the 'acknowledging' clause almost captures the concept perfectly as-is, but I would recommend not including other phrases; that just opens the door to unintended consequences. Maybe something along the lines of '...pets are animals, usually domesticated, owned by people primarily for the purpose of companionship or pleasure rather than for livestock, work, or research purposes.'

"We would still be FOR this Resolution as it is if the 'acknowledging' were merely changed to 'defining', however."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:04 am

No Name Available wrote:if the 'acknowledging' were merely changed to 'defining', however."

OOC: Better yet, it should be made an active clause with "defines".
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:16 am

"Put a full stop after the end of clause 3. Also, I notice your delagation has not yet edited the draft - is it still being worked on?"
My pronouns are he/him.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly