NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

[SUBMITTED] Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting!

Postby Bears Armed » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:07 am

And here’s another song-inspired idea…

Third Draft: 3.1
(options cut back to three, from the third draft's original four)

Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting!

[validity]Martial Arts have not been banned (issue #109, option 3, does so…): could chain specifically from pro-Martial Arts options in earlier issues (#20, option3; #109, option 1 & maybe option 2... any others?)
[issue]A report in today’s news suggests that the recent Martial Arts craze may be getting out of hand after the latest in a series of incidents left over a dozen people in @@CAPITAL@@ needing hospital treatment.

[option]″One moment, it was just two teenagers arguing over which had shoved the other in the cinema queue to see 'Knuck Chorris meets Big Dragon', then -- as fast as lightning -- just about everybody in sight was fighting!″ exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a bruised and shaken businessman who’s being interviewed at the scene. ″Not just kids, but shoppers and commuters too, kicking and punching each other, and doing poses like ′Drunken @@ANIMAL@@′ right there in public! It was a little bit frightening.The government ought to ban teaching that sort of thing, and shut down all the Bojos or Hojos or whatever they’re called…″
[validity]Unrestricted
[effect]standing on one leg in public is a criminal offence

[option]″Ahh, so a few o’ the chop-socky jockeys got a bit too lively, did they?″ @@CAPITAL@@’s police chief, O’Hara, comments. ″What’s needed isn’t trying to stop folks from learning how to fight, because they’ll always be doing that whether they call it Kung-Fu or Kung Pao or just plain old brawling, for sure, it’s more police on the beat — with better funding for our own training and gear, of course — to keep the peace.″
[validity]Nation must have police
[effect]the standard police uniform now comes with several colours of belt

[option]″If this humble one, whose name is Master Po, might be heard?″ a passer-by at the site of the fight asks a broadcasting reporter. ″The true problem is not that so many people are learning these Arts, grasshopper, it is that unfortunately too many of their teachers have been focusing solely on the Arts’ physical aspects without also instructing their pupils in the underlying philosophical principles that would lead those people away from welcoming violent confrontation. I suggest that making the teachings of the ′Seven Sages of Old′ a core part of this country’s educational systems, not just for those who would then learn to fight but for everybody who would learn anything, is the wisest answer available.″
[validity]Unrestricted
[effect]the ′three Rs′ have become the ′four Rs’ with the addition of Rightful Thought

Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting!

[validity]Martial Arts have not been banned (issue #109, option 3, does so…)
[issue]A report in today’s news suggests that the recent Martial Arts craze may be getting out of hand after the latest in a series of incidents left over a dozen people in @@CAPITAL@@ needing hospital treatment.

[option]″One moment, it was just two teenagers arguing over which had shoved the other, then -- as fast as lightning -- just about everybody in sight was fighting!″ exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a bruised and shaken businessman who’s being interviewed at the scene. ″Not just kids, but shoppers and commuters too, kicking and punching each other, and doing poses like ′Drunken @@ANIMAL@@′ right there in public! It was a little bit frightening.The government ought to ban teaching that sort of thing, and shut down all the Bojos or Hojos or whatever they’re called…″
[validity]Unrestricted
[effect]crimes carry sterner sentences if martial arts were involved

[option]″Ahh, so a few o’ the chop-socky jockeys got a bit too lively, did they?″ @@CAPITAL@@’s police chief, O’Hara, comments. ″What’s needed isn’t trying to stop folks from learning how to fight, because they’ll always be doing that whether they call it Kung-Fu or Kung Pao or just plain old brawling, for sure, it’s more police on the beat — with better funding for our own training and gear, of course — to keep the peace.″
[validity]Unrestricted? Nation must have police? (Unless & until officially told otherwise, I’ll presume that even a nation which has abolished its police forces might have a leftover ‘police chief’ to raise the point so that this option would be still there… and then choosing it would be one way of reversing that abolition, of course. Also, this means that I wouldn’t have to think of an extra option to ensure that even any nation which has both banned the martial arts already and abolished its police would still have at least two to choose between.)

[option]″If this humble one, whose name is Master Po, might be heard?″ a passer-by at the site of the fight asks a broadcasting reporter. ″The true problem is not that so many people are learning these Arts, grasshopper, it is that unfortunately too many of their teachers have been focussing solely on the Arts’ physical aspects without also instructing their pupils in the underlying philosophical principles that would lead those people away from welcoming violent confrontation. I suggest that making the teachings of the ′Seven Sages of Old′ a core part of this country’s educational systems, not just for those who would then learn to fight but for everybody who would learn anything, is the wisest answer available.″
[validity]Unrestricted
[effect]the ′three Rs′ have become the ′four Rs’ with the addition of Rightful Thought

Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting!

[issue]A report in today’s news suggests that the recent Martial Arts craze might may be getting out of hand after an incident the latest of a series of incidents in @@CAPITAL@@ resulted in left over a dozen people in @@CAPITAL@@ requiring hospitalisation treatment.

[option]″It was a little bit frightening!″ exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a bruised and shaken businessman who’s being interviewed at the scene. ″One minute, two teenagers were arguing over which had shoved the other, then as fast as lightning just about everybody in sight was fighting: Not just kids, but shoppers and commuters too, kicking and punching each other, and doing poses like ′Drunken @@ANIMAL@@′ right there in public! The government ought to ban teaching that sort of thing, and shut down all the Bojos or Hojos or whatever they’re called…″
[validity]Unrestricted

[validity]Unrestricted? Nation must have police? (Unless & until officially told otherwise, I’ll presume that even a nation which has abolished its police forces might have a leftover ‘police chief’ to raise the point so that this option would be still there… and then choosing it would be one way of reversing that abolition, of course. Also, this means that I wouldn’t have to think of an extra option to ensure that even any nation which has both banned the martial arts already and abolished its police would still have at least two to choose between.)

[option]″If this humble one, whose name is Master Po, might be heard?″ a passer-by at the site of the fight asks a broadcasting reporter. ″The true problem is not that so many people are learning these Arts, grasshopper, it is that unfortunately too many of their teachers have been focussing solely on the Arts’ physical aspects without also instructing their pupils in the underlying philosophical principles that would lead those people away from welcoming violent confrontation. I suggest that making the teachings of the ′Seven Sages of Old′ a core part of this country’s educational systems, not just for those who would then learn to fight but for everybody who would learn anything, is the wisest answer available.″
[validity]Unrestricted

How many of the deliberate references did you identify?

[alignright](SimreeveIssues)[/align]
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:40 am, edited 13 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Is this an isolated incident
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Australian Republic wrote:Is this an isolated incident

Hm, given the validity, I'd expect something like this to happen at least once. So possibly? But otherwise I'd say they would likely happen with some regularity.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:41 pm

May is better in the description, as opposed to might
Last edited by Fauxia on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:14 am

Chan Island wrote:
Australian Republic wrote:Is this an isolated incident

Hm, given the validity, I'd expect something like this to happen at least once. So possibly? But otherwise I'd say they would likely happen with some regularity.

Fair point. Changed to "the latest in a series of incidents".

Fauxia wrote:May is better in the description, as opposed to might

Agreed: Changed.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:37 am

New draft fully incorporates those changes, and makes some other alterations to the first option.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:52 am

Nice!

Note that even in title case, "Was" should still be capitalised.

We don't track that yet. Still, might be best to chain this directly off the issues that encourage teaching martial arts to everyone. 20.3 and 109.1 could work.

[issue]A report in today’s

You'll need to straighten all the apostrophes and quote marks prior to submission, of course.

news suggests that the recent Martial Arts craze may be getting out of hand after the latest in a series of incidents left over a dozen people in @@CAPITAL@@ needing hospital treatment.

[option]″One moment, it was just two teenagers arguing over which had shoved the other, then -- as fast as lightning -- just about everybody in sight was fighting!″ exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, a bruised and shaken businessman who’s being interviewed at the scene. ″Not just kids, but shoppers and commuters too, kicking and punching each other, and doing poses like ′Drunken @@ANIMAL@@′ right there in public! It was a little bit frightening.The government ought to ban teaching that sort of thing, and shut down all the Bojos or Hojos or whatever they’re called…″
[validity]Unrestricted

Nice set up, but the effect line fails to pay off. Maybe something more humorous, exaggerating the intent of the law.

[effect]dogs that answer the call of nature are arrested for "illegal kung fu poses"
[effect]drunk and disorderly citizens are carefully observed to make sure they are not practising Zui Quan wushu

Sure, assume there's always a police chief, even in the absence of centralised state funding. You've read Jennifer Government, right? :)

Excellent!

[validity]Unrestricted

Also excellent!

*bow*
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:12 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

Nice!
Thank you!

Note that even in title case, "Was" should still be capitalised.
Fixed.

We don't track that yet. Still, might be best to chain this directly off the issues that encourage teaching martial arts to everyone. 20.3 and 109.1 could work.
That makes sense. Shall I add it in, or would you making a note for anybody who edits this enough?

[issue]A report in today’s

You'll need to straighten all the apostrophes and quote marks prior to submission, of course.
Of course.. but until then, while I'm still making other changes, leaving this on the system's default is easier.

news suggests that the recent Martial Arts craze may be getting out of hand after the latest in a series of incidents left over a dozen people in @@CAPITAL@@ needing hospital treatment.
[validity]Unrestricted

Nice set up, but the effect line fails to pay off. Maybe something more humorous, exaggerating the intent of the law.

[effect]dogs that answer the call of nature are arrested for "illegal kung fu poses"
[effect]drunk and disorderly citizens are carefully observed to make sure they are not practising Zui Quan wushu
Yeah, I wasn't thrilled by that effect line either: I'll change it to something else before submission.

Sure, assume there's always a police chief, even in the absence of centralised state funding. You've read Jennifer Government, right? :)
Years ago: it's in my "re-read sometime" stack, but...

Excellent!

[validity]Unrestricted

Also excellent!

*bow*

Excellent!
:)

*bows back*
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 am

Returning to work on this shortly...
Any more suggestions?

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Needs a Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee reference. I can't help not forget them when Kung-Fu is mentioned.
Last edited by Minoa on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Drayxaso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Drayxaso » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Bears Armed wrote:(Unless & until officially told otherwise, I’ll presume that even a nation which has abolished its police forces might have a leftover ‘police chief’ to raise the point so that this option would be still there… and then choosing it would be one way of reversing that abolition, of course. Also, this means that I wouldn’t have to think of an extra option to ensure that even any nation which has both banned the martial arts already and abolished its police would still have at least two to choose between.)

This seems like the perfect opportunity to turn a point of confusion into a joke. You could make two versions of option 2, one for nations with police and the other for nations without. The first version would remain as is, but the second version could, with some minor modifications, tell the tale of an overworked police chief who has to do an entire department's job alone. Instead of merely boosting police funding, some minor wording changes could make the second version instead advocate for reversing the abolition of the police, as you said.

If I were you, I would write this alternate option something like this (apologies in advance for butchering your writing style :p ):
″Ahh, so a few o’ the chop-socky jockeys got a bit too lively, did they?″ @@CAPITAL@@'s police chief, O’Hara, who has been forced to do a department's job alone by lack of state funding, comments. ″What’s needed isn’t trying to stop folks from learning how to fight, because they’ll always be doing that whether they call it Kung-Fu or Kung Pao or just plain old brawling, for sure, it’s a return to police — with better funding for our own training and gear, of course — to keep the peace.″
[validity]Nation must not have police
[effect]katana-wielding shinobi wannabees make up the newly re-formed police force
The Great Devourer of All wrote:"Bring the ship about, helmsman! The Klingons are firing on us!"
"I can't, sir! My knees hurt like hell and my back is cramped in a thousand places. The Klingons might as well put me out of my misery!"

Neanderthaland wrote:Looks like the DPRK is in need of a new buyer. Someone more aligned to their political philosophy.

Now if only there were someone out there who needed massive amounts of coal. Someone with a cult of personality and a keen interest in surveillance. Someone who sees you when your sleeping. Who knows when you're awake.
#679: Space Is Big Enough For The Both Of Us
(@.0) Put this in your sig if you support the Borg

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:42 am

Minoa wrote:Needs a Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee reference. I can't help not forget them when Kung-Fu is mentioned.

Maybe the fight started in the queue outside a cinema, among people waiting to see a film with a title like 'Big Dragon meets Knuck Chorris'?

^_^
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon May 07, 2018 8:09 am

Done.

I’ve gone with the first of those suggestions.

Drayxaso wrote:If I were you, I would write this alternate option something like this (apologies in advance for butchering your writing style :p ):
″Ahh, so a few o’ the chop-socky jockeys got a bit too lively, did they?″ @@CAPITAL@@'s police chief, O’Hara, who has been forced to do a department's job alone by lack of state funding, comments. ″What’s needed isn’t trying to stop folks from learning how to fight, because they’ll always be doing that whether they call it Kung-Fu or Kung Pao or just plain old brawling, for sure, it’s a return to police — with better funding for our own training and gear, of course — to keep the peace.″
[validity]Nation must not have police
[effect]katana-wielding shinobi wannabees make up the newly re-formed police force

No apologies needed: That's lovely!
Added.

Bears Armed wrote:
Minoa wrote:Needs a Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee reference. I can't help not forget them when Kung-Fu is mentioned.

Maybe the fight started in the queue outside a cinema, among people waiting to see a film with a title like 'Big Dragon meets Knuck Chorris'?

Added.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon May 07, 2018 8:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue May 08, 2018 1:45 am

Option 3 isn't needed. Historically we've always been happy to assume a police force always exists for issues, even if the department has no funding. Either there'll be some privately funded force, or a public force relying on indirect funding.

Mostly this is for practical reasons, to ensure that even if you have zero law and order spending you can still get the options where a police officer is speaking, and to make it possible to reverse a zero spending situation by spending.

Otherwise this issue is looking really good, pretty much ready to go.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue May 08, 2018 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue May 08, 2018 10:26 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Option 3 isn't needed. Historically we've always been happy to assume a police force always exists for issues, even if the department has no funding. Either there'll be some privately funded force, or a public force relying on indirect funding.

Mostly this is for practical reasons, to ensure that even if you have zero law and order spending you can still get the options where a police officer is speaking, and to make it possible to reverse a zero spending situation by spending.

Otherwise this issue is looking really good, pretty much ready to go.

Okay, thank you. I'll take that option out again, and will probably submit it on Thursday or Friday.

Frieden-und Freudenland
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Frieden-und Freudenland » Thu May 10, 2018 6:10 am

I am craving for a Kung-Fu Panda reference in Option 3... I know that it is possible that Master Po already refers to Po the Panda, but would it be possible to add a little thing that makes this reference just a tiny bit more recognizable? Like, saying that Po says these things while munching a dumpling or something like that? :p That's just me, of course.

Brilliant issue!
When I write, I don't have an accent.

My issues

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
~Walt Whitman

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu May 10, 2018 10:13 am

Frieden-und Freudenland wrote:I am craving for a Kung-Fu Panda reference in Option 3... I know that it is possible that Master Po already refers to Po the Panda, but would it be possible to add a little thing that makes this reference just a tiny bit more recognizable? Like, saying that Po says these things while munching a dumpling or something like that? :p That's just me, of course.

This is the Master Po from the 1970s television series 'Kung-Fu' (roughly the same vintage as the song that inspired this issue as a whole), hence the bit where he addresses somebody as "grasshopper".

This issue has now been submitted.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu May 10, 2018 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:44 am

Accepted!

#1152: 'Everybody Was Kung-Fu Fighting!' [author = Bears Armed; editor = Nation of Quebec]

^_^

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?