NATION

PASSWORD

[submitted] A Slice of the Pi

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[submitted] A Slice of the Pi

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:12 am

SUBMITTED 4/4/18

Inspired by a conversation with my 5 year old son about what pi is.

DRAFT 2πr:
TITLE:

A Slice of the Pi

VALIDITY:

Must have computers

DESCRIPTION:

Recently a tech firm from the United Federation used a network of computers and the latest algorithms to calculate Pi to an incredible number of decimal places, smashing the previous world record by several orders of magnitude.

OPTION ONE

"We can break that United Federation record right here in @@NAME@@, I know it!" exclaims excitable mathematician @@randomname@@, dancing around you with a manic look on @@HIS@@ face. "All we need is a great big network of super-computers, with customised software, and a year or two of dedicated runtime. I've some ideas for some exciting new formulae that will make Chudnovsky look like a chump. I mean, what could be cooler than mathematics and computer programming?" @@HE@@ pushes @@HIS@@ spectacles up his nose and strikes a geeky superhero pose.

Outcome: pareidolic SETI scientists swear there's a message from aliens hidden within Pi

OPTION TWO

"Look, the pursuit of a list of numbers is just academic frippery and posturing," moans knitwear-clad structural engineer @@randomname@@. "Even physicists don't bother using values of pi to more than 160 decimal places, so there's no practical purpose here. Government research and academic subsidies should be focused purely on subjects which have real world applications and a sound case for projected economic or societal benefit. You know, like my underfunded research on drainage applications of composite 3D-printed concrete micro-structures with resin polymer interior scaffolding. It's really fascinating stuff. Here, I wrote a paper on it..."

Outcome: blue sky thinkers are reminded that the firmament is actually more of a grey-ish colour

OPTION THREE
OPTION VALIDITY: sports not banned

"Nerd alert!" yells former high-school quarterback turned fry chef @@randomname@@, shoulder barging between the two previous speakers, and knocking them to the ground. "Yeah! Feel that impact! Freight train comin' through! Y'know, the best thing to do here is not to spend money on all this geek stuff at all. School of hard knocks, that's the lesson plan these weaklings need!" @@HE@@ demonstrates with @@HIS@@ fists.

Outcome: brain injury is seen as a desirable outcome rather than a side effect of contact sports

OPTION FOUR

"Honestly, I've never liked pi. It's just so... irrational," says Minister of Mathematical Certainty Eddie Goodwin. "Can't we just legislate so that everybody in @@NAME@@ uses a @@DEMONYM@@ definition of pi? Let's just say pi is 3.2. I mean, that's true anyway for a given curvature of space time. Just say 3.2, and leave it at that, eh?"

Outcome: engineers are reinventing the wheel

DRAFT 1:
TITLE:

A Slice of the Pi

VALIDITY:

Must have computers

DESCRIPTION:

Recently a tech firm from the United Federation used a network of computers and the latest algorithms to calculate Pi to an incredible number of decimal places, smashing the previous world record by several orders of magnitude.

OPTION ONE

"We can break that United Federation record right here in @@NAME@@, I know it!" exclaims excitable mathematician @@randomname@@, dancing around you with a manic look on @@HIS@@ face. "All we need is a great big network of super-computers, with customised software, and a year or two of dedicated runtime. I've some ideas for some exciting new formulae that will make Chudnovsky look like a chump. I mean, what could be cooler than mathematics and computer programming?" @@HE@@ pushes @@HIS@@ spectacles up his nose and strikes a geeky superhero pose.

Outcome: pareidolic SETI scientists swear there's a message from aliens hidden within Pi

OPTION TWO

"Look, the pursuit of a list of numbers is just academic frippery and posturing," moans knitwear-clad structural engineer @@randomname@@. "Even physicists don't bother using values of pi to more than 160 decimal places, so there's no practical purpose here. Government research and academic subsidies should be focused purely on subjects which have real world applications and a sound case for projected economic or societal benefit. You know, like my underfunded research on drainage applications of composite 3D-printed concrete micro-structures with resin polymer interior scaffolding. It's really fascinating stuff. Here, I wrote a paper on it..."

Outcome: blue sky thinkers are reminded that the firmament is actually more of a grey-ish colour

OPTION THREE
OPTION VALIDITY: sports not banned

"Nerd alert!" yells former high-school quarterback turned fry chef @@randomname@@, shoulder barging between the two previous speakers, and knocking them to the ground. "Yeah! Feel that impact! Freight train comin' through! Y'know, the best thing to do here is not to spend money on all this geek stuff at all. School of hard knocks, that's the lesson plan these weaklings need!" @@HE@@ demonstrates with @@HIS@@ fists.

Outcome: brain injury is seen as a desirable outcome rather than a side effect of contact sports
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:23 am, edited 11 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 am

I'd tune it down to "head injury", but that aside, I think this is a wonderful draft. :lol:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:24 am

Jutsa wrote:I'd tune it down to "head injury", but that aside, I think this is a wonderful draft. :lol:

Thanks!

The joke though is that it's actually desirable that brain damage occurs, because intelligence is being seen as unwanted. Doesn't work if I change it to "head injury".

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:33 am

Oooh ok. Then this draft's good as-is imo. :lol:
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:11 am

This feels similar to "The Devil and the Deep Blue Funding Gap"
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:40 am

Yeah, you're right! I think the first two options are very similar. However the actual premise is sufficiently distinct, and a lot of issues have options that are similar in thrust.

I think it's okay to proceed, I'm sure my editor colleagues will tell me if they feel the overlap is too strong.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:26 am

CWA, I don't know if you're aware of this but I read about it yesterday. The state of Indiana attempted to pass a law defining Pi. Thought that you could scavenge and use in this issue for added humour:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:39 am

Hi Candle, as a fellow Brit, why did you use 'quarterback', why not a rugby fly-half? Those rugby club boys can be just as raucous?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:11 am

Caracasus wrote:CWA, I don't know if you're aware of this but I read about it yesterday. The state of Indiana attempted to pass a law defining Pi. Thought that you could scavenge and use in this issue for added humour:

Ha! That's pretty funny. Will think on it, but not sure how I could use it at present. Maybe an additional crazy option legislating on what pi is... Hmm. Much as I like three option issues, that may be too good to pass up.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:13 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Caracasus wrote:CWA, I don't know if you're aware of this but I read about it yesterday. The state of Indiana attempted to pass a law defining Pi. Thought that you could scavenge and use in this issue for added humour:

Ha! That's pretty funny. Will think on it, but not sure how I could use it at present. Maybe an additional crazy option legislating on what pi is... Hmm. Much as I like three option issues, that may be too good to pass up.

Guess it could use an option .142?

Yeah, thought you might appreciate it.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:15 am

Baggieland wrote:Hi Candle, as a fellow Brit, why did you use 'quarterback', why not a rugby fly-half? Those rugby club boys can be just as raucous?

Heh, different stereotype.

The rugger variant is a public school old boy who enjoys a tumble in the mud, thinks poor people are dreadful oiks, and knows that he can cause public damage when out on a bender because pater knows the home secretary, and it's all just good harmless fun with we tied old Willikins naked to a tree and buggered him senseless. The rugger lover doesn't disrespect intelligence, in fact he quite likes the clever first year boy who does the toast run and can calculate the maximum wet-load of a digestive biscuit prior to ingestion.

The quarterback stereotype is the one to use here, with its disdain for nerds, and self-assured brutishness.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:24 am

Okay, new option 4 added to legislate for pi.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:51 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Heh, different stereotype.

The rugger variant is a public school old boy who enjoys a tumble in the mud, thinks poor people are dreadful oiks, and knows that he can cause public damage when out on a bender because pater knows the home secretary, and it's all just good harmless fun with we tied old Willikins naked to a tree and buggered him senseless. The rugger lover doesn't disrespect intelligence, in fact he quite likes the clever first year boy who does the toast run and can calculate the maximum wet-load of a digestive biscuit prior to ingestion.

The quarterback stereotype is the one to use here, with its disdain for nerds, and self-assured brutishness.

That is quite the reply. :) :) :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:57 am

Oh yes that is - oh, and 3.2? :rofl:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:12 am

Jutsa wrote:Oh yes that is - oh, and 3.2? :rofl:
You know, it bugs me so much that 3.2 isn't even the most accurate approximation of pi to two digits.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:46 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Jutsa wrote:Oh yes that is - oh, and 3.2? :rofl:
You know, it bugs me so much that 3.2 isn't even the most accurate approximation of pi to two digits.

Absolutely intentional. And also, the same as the value on that linked article.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:49 am

A nice issue! Very good stuff I'm looking forward to seeing implemented.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Baggieland wrote:Hi Candle, as a fellow Brit, why did you use 'quarterback', why not a rugby fly-half? Those rugby club boys can be just as raucous?

Heh, different stereotype.

You know someone's onto something when they describe a stereotype and all I'm thinking is "yup, sounds like XYZ and ABC" :rofl:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Quick note: Your draft tag has not gone unnoticed. ;)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?