NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 3: Brainstorming, discussion, tea, advice

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:04 pm

Again, I don't need you guys to be convinced. These ideas are yours to consider. If they please you, that's great. If not, then I apologize.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Unit 23 wrote:Take it or leave it. I don't think you can stop me from following the purpose of the topic.

You overestimate your power in the hub of the living gods unit may they have mercy on you.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ithalian Empire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Unit 23 wrote:Again, I don't need you guys to be convinced. These ideas are yours to consider. If they please you, that's great. If not, then I apologize.

Than stop giving critique on the community and mabey get involved in an rp, or something. If your going to be here than at least make your self useful to the community you so dearly want to change with your viled "ideas to consider".
Eat ,Drink, and be mary, for tomorrow we die.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

The poster licks five public door handles a day to compare there taste.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:12 pm

Unit 23 wrote:Again, I don't need you guys to be convinced. These ideas are yours to consider. If they please you, that's great. If not, then I apologize.

So you apologize for not giving us any real reason to consider your ideas, that you market time and again?
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:15 pm

Shadowwell wrote:
Well, it depends upon the general setting, i have seen some slice of Life rps last years, though that was elsewhere.

Would slice of life just be a sub-concept with no other things influencing the setting, or slice of life with other aspects?

As I explained, I'm basically making a RP based on a book series that doesn't really focus on people being chased by death Final Destination style. Basically the RP focuses on people discovering how they will die, but don't die immediately. In other words, the reason it's focused on being slice of life, though with other aspects, is mainly to have people's characters be developed and react to things or events around them. What I'm trying to come up with is the setting. I was planning on having it set anywhere on Earth or a moderate town on the day where the machine is revealed to the world.
Local 22 year old Diet Coke Addict College Student Ruins Everything

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:16 pm

Ithalian Empire wrote:Than stop giving critique on the community and mabey get involved in an rp, or something.

I'm considering it, but that's kinda the problem. I have no interest because 1) lots of scenarios are holistic and 2) there seems to be no real reward-incentive for writing quality.

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Postby Ithalian Empire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Unit 23 wrote:
Ithalian Empire wrote:Than stop giving critique on the community and mabey get involved in an rp, or something.

I'm considering it, but that's kinda the problem. I have no interest because 1) lots of scenarios are holistic and 2) there seems to be no real reward-incentive for writing quality.

I honestly don't see where you get that idea. We here rp because we enjoy creating stories, and that our reward. If you can't get that, that's your lose and there is nothing more I can do.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:24 pm

If people aren't looking to become better writers then sure, I get it. As I said, just suggestions.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:
Well, it depends upon the general setting, i have seen some slice of Life rps last years, though that was elsewhere.

Would slice of life just be a sub-concept with no other things influencing the setting, or slice of life with other aspects?

As I explained, I'm basically making a RP based on a book series that doesn't really focus on people being chased by death Final Destination style. Basically the RP focuses on people discovering how they will die, but don't die immediately. In other words, the reason it's focused on being slice of life, though with other aspects, is mainly to have people's characters be developed and react to things or events around them. What I'm trying to come up with is the setting. I was planning on having it set anywhere on Earth or a moderate town on the day where the machine is revealed to the world.

Did not see that before, due to other things filling up the pages.

So, it would be about how people cope with knowing how they are going to die, and how that affects them and such?

Well, what size would moderate be?

It could be much more intriguing, if it is in a more close knit town, where people know one another a bit. Would possibly ramp up the possibility of paranoia, but also the possibility that people could draw support from their community.

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

The Land of Golden Blobfish
Ambassador

Founded: May 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land of Golden Blobfish » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:26 pm

Unit 23 wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:For all intents and purposes though, Multiverse is a genre, and any sort of plot or rules for the rp would be restrictive by your reasoning. So, basically what you are wanting is a multiverse rp, with no plot, where characters from anywhere and anything could do whatever they want?

I was trying to illustrate my point by relying on figurative rather than literal language relations. If you analyze anything hard enough it starts to define itself alone.

So yes, there are hypothetical limits if genre is imaged as a scale, where form (genre) and function (plot) are at either end, and the concept of "multiverse" necessarily includes some degree of genre.

There seems to be a misconception that the type of thinking I'm trying to explain somehow has no rules. Rather, the focus concerns atomic cause and effect, as Main Nation Ministry is doing.

Edit: I should probably explain atomism is the concept where something can be divided infinitely into smaller portions, like an RP divided into events, into characters, into motives, etc.

The problem is, simply put, nobody here is interested. Personally, I've never participated in the type of RP you've described so far and probably never will. It simply just doesn't interest me nor does it appear to really interest anybody else here.
Last edited by The Land of Golden Blobfish on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOSS NASS : Yousa cannot bees hair. Dis army of mackineeks up dare tis new
weesong!
QUI-GON : That droid army is about to attack the Naboo. We must warn them.
BOSS NASS : Wesa no like da Naboo! Un dey no like uss-ens. Da Naboo tink
day so smarty den us-ens. Day tink day brains so big.
OBI-WAN : After those droids take control of the surface, they will come
here and take control of you.
BOSS NASS : No, mesa no tink so. Mesa scant talkie witda Naboo, and no
nutten talkie it outlaunders. Dos mackineeks no comen here! Dey not know of
uss-en.
OBI-WAN : You and the Naboo form a symbiont circle. What happens to noe of
you will affect the other. You must understand this.
BOSS NASS : Wesa wish no nutten in yousa tings, outlaunder, and wesa no
care-n about da Naboo.

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:29 pm

The Land of Golden Blobfish wrote:It simply just doesn't interest me nor does it appear to really interest anybody else here.

People have tried this angle before, but I actually gave evidence to the contrary in the post you quoted. Someone is already illustrating the ideas that I'm trying to explain.
Last edited by Unit 23 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Land of Golden Blobfish » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Unit 23 wrote:
The Land of Golden Blobfish wrote:It simply just doesn't interest me nor does it appear to really interest anybody else here.

People have tried this angle before, but I actually gave evidence to the contrary in the post your quoted. Someone is already illustrating the ideas that I'm trying to explain.

An individual, yes. The minority. There's people who have tried such RPs in the past but they are far and few in between because again, nobody is interested. That doesn't change any of what I said.
weesong!
uss-en.
care-n about da Naboo.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Anowa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:31 pm

Unit 23 wrote:If people aren't looking to become better writers then sure, I get it. As I said, just suggestions.

If you're insinuating that the writers on NS are bad or otherwise sub-par, it's best you just stop. Until there's a practical demonstration of any kind about your preached methods, no one's going to follow them.
Awards:
Tie Winner: Most Involved in P2TM, 2016
Winner: Best Crime RP, 2016

An Intro to Anowa

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Postby Ithalian Empire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Unit 23 wrote:If people aren't looking to become better writers then sure, I get it. As I said, just suggestions.

Fallowing your Rping by the numbers wouldn't help us become better writers. Hell, some of the best writers I know are one this site and if you can take the time to show use what your capable of than rp some place else if what we offer isn't up to your seemingly impossible standards of good writing.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:35 pm

Shadowwell wrote:

So, it would be about how people cope with knowing how they are going to die, and how that affects them and such?

It could be much more intriguing, if it is in a more close knit town, where people know one another a bit. Would possibly ramp up the possibility of paranoia, but also the possibility that people could draw support from their community.

That was why I was trying to figure out the setting, because in the books, everyone pretty much accepted it. However, there are cases where people with their predictions such as MURDER would get the fear that someone is after them, but since any prediction can have multiple meanings, it can be paranoia for nothing. My idea of moderate is around 10,000. Not a minor city and not small enough to be classified as a typical small town.

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:35 pm

The Land of Golden Blobfish wrote:There's people who have tried such RPs in the past but they are far and few in between because again, nobody is interested.

So it's your account against my account, meaning nothing has changed, and I'm not forcing anything.
Anowa wrote:If you're insinuating that the writers on NS are bad or otherwise sub-par, it's best you just stop.

Not even close.
Ithalian Empire wrote:Fallowing your Rping by the numbers wouldn't help us become better writers.

That doesn't represent what I think good writing truly is. I'm simply implying if people have an incentive to value and improve their writing, they may find this skill is handy and applies universally.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Land of Golden Blobfish » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Unit 23 wrote:
The Land of Golden Blobfish wrote:There's people who have tried such RPs in the past but they are far and few in between because again, nobody is interested.

So it's your account against my account, meaning nothing has changed, and I'm not forcing anything.
Anowa wrote:If you're insinuating that the writers on NS are bad or otherwise sub-par, it's best you just stop.

Not even close.
Ithalian Empire wrote:Fallowing your Rping by the numbers wouldn't help us become better writers.

That doesn't represent what I think good writing truly is. I'm simply implying if people have an incentive to value and improve their writing, they may find this skill is handy and applies universally.

Quick question, do you generally not like traditional storytelling? You know, main characters following a linear plot from point A to point B. Because from what it seems, you are looking for some higher level, intellectual type of RPing. Like a piece of literature in a pile of pop culture. The problem is, there's a reason that type of writing isn't popular to begin with. It's not made to look good, or be pleasing to read/ watch. It's meant to force the viewer to critically think about what they are seeing. It's not something you'd classify as an enjoyable piece of entertainment. And that's what I'm getting at.

The majority here just want to have fun.

We're not trying to write university level essays here, we just want to make a story and have fun while doing it. The reason you're not seeing anything here of your intellectual caliber is because it's boring and in all honesty, a chore. I'm here trying to escape the type of critical writing I'm forced to do in school, not practice it.
Last edited by The Land of Golden Blobfish on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weesong!
uss-en.
care-n about da Naboo.

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Postby Ithalian Empire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Unit 23 wrote:

Not even close.

Fine, Ill give you our incentive for good writing, and it has nothing to do with whats in you damned forsaken formulas or RPing laws only simply this. I enjoy both crafting and helping to craft worlds, doesnt matter how "restrictive" they are or what genre it is. I find a reward in creating a collective adventure with people I've written with before and new comers alike. If the incentive to write good is the enjoyment of other reading and responding to my writing in one giant collective narrative, I say that that alone is good enough for me and many other on this site and its a damned lot better than some formulas or numbers.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:49 pm

The Land of Golden Blobfish wrote:It's not made to look good, or be pleasing to read/ watch. It's meant to force the viewer to critically think about what they are seeing.

I think what I'm looking for is an artistic dimension, actually. I want people to feel freed by creative opportunity rather than having to think about why it should make sense intellectually, as you imply.

I'm using an intellectual tone here because I'm asserting a position, but I'm quite aware that's inappropriate for an RP.

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Postby Ithalian Empire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:50 pm

Unit 23 wrote:
The Land of Golden Blobfish wrote:It's not made to look good, or be pleasing to read/ watch. It's meant to force the viewer to critically think about what they are seeing.

I think what I'm looking for is an artistic dimension, actually. I want people to feel freed by creative opportunity rather than having to think about why it should make sense intellectually, as you imply.

I'm using an intellectual tone here because I'm asserting a position, but I'm quite aware that's inappropriate for an RP.

So basically I-am_very-smart the RP?
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:50 pm

Apparently.

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Postby Ithalian Empire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Unit 23 wrote:Apparently.

Than make that, see if people are interested in it before you come and tell use our rps need to be like that.

As for an example of people just improving there writting over time, here is one of the first RPs I was in, while I didnt see it all the way through, many did http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=342190, here is nearly the same group a while later:https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=348317. I know these are links for OOC's but the IC's can be found there in.
Last edited by Ithalian Empire on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:52 pm

Main Nation Ministry wrote:
Shadowwell wrote:

That was why I was trying to figure out the setting, because in the books, everyone pretty much accepted it. However, there are cases where people with their predictions such as MURDER would get the fear that someone is after them, but since any prediction can have multiple meanings, it can be paranoia for nothing. My idea of moderate is around 10,000. Not a minor city and not small enough to be classified as a typical small town.

I have found that for slice of life RPs interaction between characters is key.

The same can be seen in my current rp, where we got a small group of characters all residing on a space statipn

Will look into those books and see if I can give more input.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Unit 23, not to be harsh, but remember that the Cafe is not your blog. Even your RP blog. You’ve had feedback on your ideas, and discussed them for pages now. You already have a thread you’ve used to expound those ideas; conversation revolving around them should go there, not in the general brainstorming thread, at least not ceaselessly. Take this feedback to heart, and come back next week if you’ve had any new revelations.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Shadowwell wrote:I have found that for slice of life RPs interaction between characters is key.

The same can be seen in my current rp, where we got a small group of characters all residing on a space statipn

Will look into those books and see if I can give more input.

If I told you the first book of the series is free to view on a pdf and internet, would you read it?

RPs I do

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives