NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 3: Brainstorming, discussion, tea, advice

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:58 pm

Unit 23 wrote:Same tbh.

Would an online chatroom where you can be anything suit you? Talk to cats or be a god no matter what you choose all other chat roomies must accept your choice; that up your ally?
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:59 pm

Harbertia wrote:all other chat roomies must accept your choice

Why would anyone accept the authority of anything without reason?

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:01 pm

Again, would anyone be interested in an Ender's Game based RP?
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Unit 23 wrote:Right, but to my eye it's restrictive from the start, though.

For example, to participate in the story, the first thing your character needs to do is be involved with the space station GPOP-4321 in some way.

At a stroke, that disallows all but sci-fi characters. So just from the first sentence, it's already niche.

So, to you an rp is restrictive, if it doesnt let you be anything, regardless of how lorebreaking it is?
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:00 pm

Unit 23 wrote:
Harbertia wrote:all other chat roomies must accept your choice

Why would anyone accept the authority of anything without reason?

In this case the reason is to be open to all players as if a majority can kick someone out it is mobocracy. I simply imagined like shadow assumes you to desire an open RP without character restrictions.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:16 pm

My thinking is more along the lines of genre being just one method to develop a system from.

If you're making an RP, you're looking to include as many RPers as possible, meaning you either need a broad appeal, or a specific appeal which everyone commonly values and understands, like genre tropes.

Genre is a holistic (illustrating from a big picture) method of construction, but it's possible to be atomic (illustrating from unrelated situations).

A familiar parallel may be worldbuilding: Holistic world-building starts with a region in space and then works down, defining details. Atomic world-building starts with event or circumstance and works up, connecting concepts necessarily.

It's hard to be atomic when you're using concepts like genre because they imply a world at a glance, which may not always be useful or interesting.

Hatterleigh
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hatterleigh » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:25 pm

Hey, I had an idea for some sort of multiversal war, or perhaps a tournament, where each player roleplays as some sort of superbeing or metahuman fighting in a war of many worlds, nations, and lands. I just thought it would be a good way to merge a Superhero RP and a War RP, and would be like Captain America: Civil War but on a larger playing field. What do you guys think? It's a concept in it's infant stages, and i'm still pretty new to NS roleplaying, so if anyone seems interested, then just reply to this. Even if somebody else wanted to make this into a thread, that'd be nice since i'd rather it just exist at all and stay active

If there is already an RP that you guys think would fit the bill of this one closely enough, then you can respond.
Last edited by Hatterleigh on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
✦ ✦ ✦ The Free Domain of Hatterleigh ✦ ✦ ✦
National News Network: William Botrum entering last days in office - President-elect Rood preparing or term
Overview of Hatterleigh | William Botrum, Hatterleigh's President | Hatterlese Embassy Program | I don't use NS stats.

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:35 pm

A multiverse can definitely solve the genre problem.

For reference, I come from a community where all characters were persistent player avatars feuding in a metaverse where genre was secondary to things like deciding outcome.

I'm therefore definitely more a fan of function than of style, but both are important.
Last edited by Unit 23 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Land of Golden Blobfish
Ambassador

Founded: May 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land of Golden Blobfish » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:47 pm

Unit 23 wrote:Right, but to my eye it's restrictive from the start, though.

For example, to participate in the story, the first thing your character needs to do is be involved with the space station GPOP-4321 in some way.

At a stroke, that disallows all but sci-fi characters. So just from the first sentence, it's already niche.

I'm a bit confused by you're reasoning here. So, for example, If I chose to host a Star Wars RP, would you say there's a problem with keeping it canon? That every character has to fit in the Star Wars universe? If so, that's the issue. There's different RPs here because people are interested in different things. Each roleplay is specific because people want them to be. Roleplays are a means for a group of people to tell a story together. I'd argue practically most, if not all, popular stories out there fit a specific theme. Star Wars is sci-fi. Lord of the Rings is medieval fantasy. No one has ever gone "hey, these would be even better if we mixed the two together!" because they wouldn't be. A multiverse RP where anything and everything goes works for some people but not for most
Last edited by The Land of Golden Blobfish on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOSS NASS : Yousa cannot bees hair. Dis army of mackineeks up dare tis new
weesong!
QUI-GON : That droid army is about to attack the Naboo. We must warn them.
BOSS NASS : Wesa no like da Naboo! Un dey no like uss-ens. Da Naboo tink
day so smarty den us-ens. Day tink day brains so big.
OBI-WAN : After those droids take control of the surface, they will come
here and take control of you.
BOSS NASS : No, mesa no tink so. Mesa scant talkie witda Naboo, and no
nutten talkie it outlaunders. Dos mackineeks no comen here! Dey not know of
uss-en.
OBI-WAN : You and the Naboo form a symbiont circle. What happens to noe of
you will affect the other. You must understand this.
BOSS NASS : Wesa wish no nutten in yousa tings, outlaunder, and wesa no
care-n about da Naboo.

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:58 pm

I'm not denying genre's usefulness, especially when describing a franchise. Only permitting Star Wars characters for a Star Wars RP is clearly appropriate.

However, I think part of the reason why there are so many various RPs, each with only a handful of participants, is partially due to some perceived limitation.

I'm not suggesting freedom of genre is necessarily the definitive limiting factor preventing topics from having dozens of posters, but I'm pretty sure it's a factor.

For example, I notice a lot of RP takes the form of "similar to x scenario in popular media", which alienates people who aren't familiar with that particular flavor.

Why can't an RP revolve around something above prescription, like the expression of betrayal, solving a puzzle, or escaping conflict?

Anowa
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 29, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Anowa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Of the two times I've tried multiverse RPs on this site, they both died rather quickly. So from my experience they don't gel to well with NS' player base.
Last edited by Anowa on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Awards:
Tie Winner: Most Involved in P2TM, 2016
Winner: Best Crime RP, 2016

An Intro to Anowa

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:06 pm

As I mentioned, people need to believe in common values. Tropes/genres are an example of this, which are descriptive. But there are also methods/systems, which are applicable.

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:35 pm

I have a quick question. How long and effective do slice of life RP's work? As I explained before, I wished to have a slice of life type concept for my premise. Though, I still want to fill in some gaps.
Local 22 year old Diet Coke Addict College Student Ruins Everything

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Shadowwell
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowwell » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:38 pm

Unit 23 wrote:As I mentioned, people need to believe in common values. Tropes/genres are an example of this, which are descriptive. But there are also methods/systems, which are applicable.

For all intents and purposes though, Multiverse is a genre, and any sort of plot or rules for the rp would be restrictive by your reasoning.

So, basically what you are wanting is a multiverse rp, with no plot, where characters from anywhere and anything could do whatever they want?

Main Nation Ministry wrote:I have a quick question. How long and effective do slice of life RP's work? As I explained before, I wished to have a slice of life type concept for my premise. Though, I still want to fill in some gaps.

Well, it depends upon the general setting, i have seen some slice of Life rps last years, though that was elsewhere.

Would slice of life just be a sub-concept with no other things influencing the setting, or slice of life with other aspects?
✒ I'm a Proud Member of VARSITY ROW! Come check us out! ✒

I'M A MEMBER OF THOUGHT CAFE
WE'RE THE AWESOMEST, COME CHECK US OUT

When i am not being your average Drunk at the Pub, i am the Founder and Headmaster of The Academy. On my off time i am also a Member of the Mechanics Guild. Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2015

Postby Ithalian Empire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:41 pm

Unit 23 wrote:As I mentioned, people need to believe in common values. Tropes/genres are an example of this, which are descriptive. But there are also methods/systems, which are applicable.

But no one here wants. If you want to RPs the.way you have been describing than you can make an rp like that here on NS, or go bugger off to one of the many other rp sites that exist, and if that doesn't suit you I here that servers aren't to expensive to rent and any Tom, Dick and Harry can us php and some make a web site.
Eat ,Drink, and be mary, for tomorrow we die.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

The poster licks five public door handles a day to compare there taste.

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:52 pm

Shadowwell wrote:For all intents and purposes though, Multiverse is a genre, and any sort of plot or rules for the rp would be restrictive by your reasoning. So, basically what you are wanting is a multiverse rp, with no plot, where characters from anywhere and anything could do whatever they want?

I was trying to illustrate my point by relying on figurative rather than literal language relations. If you analyze anything hard enough it starts to define itself alone.

So yes, there are hypothetical limits if genre is imaged as a scale, where form (genre) and function (plot) are at either end, and the concept of "multiverse" necessarily includes some degree of genre.

There seems to be a misconception that the type of thinking I'm trying to explain somehow has no rules. Rather, the focus concerns atomic cause and effect, as Main Nation Ministry is doing.

Edit: I should probably explain atomism is the concept where something can be divided infinitely into smaller portions, like an RP divided into events, into characters, into motives, etc.
Last edited by Unit 23 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plzen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Plzen » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Ithalian Empire wrote:But no one here wants. If you want to RPs the.way you have been describing than you can make an rp like that here on NS, or go bugger off to one of the many other rp sites that exist, and if that doesn't suit you I here that servers aren't to expensive to rent and any Tom, Dick and Harry can us php and some make a web site.

I fully agree with this perspective.

Do you, Unit, believe that an RP like the kind you are describing will be interesting and successful? Well, then. Demonstrate. A successful demonstration will convince more of us than 500 pages of arguments on this thread.

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:55 pm

I'm new, so it's not currently my intention to demonstrate anything.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 pm

Unit 23 wrote:I'm new, so it's not currently my intention to demonstrate anything.

Then no one's going to be convinced.
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Unit 23 wrote:I'm new, so it's not currently my intention to demonstrate anything.

Camicon wrote:"I know I've been here less than a month, and I've never actually participated in an RP here, but let me tell you about some problems I think that your RP community has; then, I shall expound at length about how to fix this, as though I am a trusted voice, but do absolutely no footwork to backup my opinions".
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:00 pm

It's not my intention to necessarily convince anyone, either, lol.

Anowa
Post Marshal

Postby Anowa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Unit 23 wrote:It's not my intention to necessarily convince anyone, either, lol.

Then why make an attempt?
Awards:

An Intro to Anowa

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Unit 23 wrote:It's not my intention to necessarily convince anyone, either, lol.

It does come off rubbing quite a few people the wrong way.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Unit 23
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Unit 23 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Take it or leave it. I don't think you can stop me from following the purpose of the topic.

Ithalian Empire
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2015

Postby Ithalian Empire » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 pm

Camicon wrote:

Camicon wrote:"I know I've been here less than a month, and I've never actually participated in an RP here, but let me tell you about some problems I think that your RP community has; then, I shall expound at length about how to fix this, as though I am a trusted voice, but do absolutely no footwork to backup my opinions".

The past few pages in a nut shell. Want us to take your idea seriously, than prove it to us. The burden of truth falls on you, that's how science works.
Eat ,Drink, and be mary, for tomorrow we die.
PRAISE THE FOUNDERS

The poster licks five public door handles a day to compare there taste.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives