NATION

PASSWORD

List of Nations & Tribes (Sept. 14, 2017 — Nov. 17, 2023)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:50 pm

OMG! Brilliant idea!

Yeah, I'll get to that right away. ;)

Edit: I could use some help, though, if I get them wrong...
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 pm

Jutsa wrote:OMG! Brilliant idea!

I agree
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Techolandia
Envoy

Founded: Feb 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Techolandia » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:25 pm

Jutsa wrote:OMG! Brilliant idea!

The demonyms for Marche Noire and Brancaland are Brancalandian and Marche Noriers. https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=88#29 has multiple demonyms.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:33 pm

Marche Noirers is in fact not used. ;)

Actually, there are three things I want you all to take a look at:

Brasilistan, Marche Noire, and Zompaboodaland.

Brasilistan is weird: it has two adjectives(which isn't so weird) and two plurals (one of which is also the adjective and the singular).

Marche Noire's adjective and plural is "Marche Noiran(s)" in one issue, but Marche Noirian everywhere else.

Zompaboodaland's demonymplural is "Zompa Boodas". :rofl:

EDIT: OH YEAH I am done. Enjoy. :rofl:

Edit2: Also I think East Lebatuck is only ever used as an adjective in one issue, describing its government.
Last edited by Jutsa on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:35 pm

Tasmania is a real place in real life, and her demonym is Tasmanian, so...

Dagou- You should mention is theocratic
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:38 pm

@Dàguó: right! Added. :)

Also pretty sure that any nation whose demonymadjective ends in -ian has -ian for its demonym(plural) as well.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Bumping this. Added Merovingia, added #916 for Brancaland, and removed the "Marche Noiran" macros.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Actually, from what I heard, Smalltopia is based off Germany

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Added that bit of information, then.

Edit: OH YEAH Also, happy 100th edit! :rofl:

We've now got 29 canon nations, plus two implied (by East Lebatuck and East Calypso). :clap:
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Merovingia kinda was a real country. Not seeing the connection to chocolate, though. (Although it reminds me of the unrelated word "meringue".)

There's a few more nation mentions in effect lines, but I'll update my list once I've confirmed the issue number on one of them.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Just goes to show you can string any random syllables together, have -ia at the end,
and still end up having a nation covered irl.

Unless, of course, this was on purpose... and this actually is ancient France...
if anyone wants to go anywhere with this idea...

(updated anyhow)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:08 am

Added information from #923, as well as streamlined chain issue pretitles and removing one enter key stroke.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:01 am

Trotterdam wrote:Merovingia kinda was a real country. Not seeing the connection to chocolate, though. (Although it reminds me of the unrelated word "meringue".)

There's a few more nation mentions in effect lines, but I'll update my list once I've confirmed the issue number on one of them.

Merovingia was named in reference to The Merovingian in the Matrix movies, who was also the inspiration for the issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR3fSL9WMdg
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:42 am

Ah, right! Think that Merovingia was based on old France...? ;)

Updating. :P

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:10 pm

Jutsa wrote:Ah, right! Think that Merovingia was based on old France...? ;)

Updating. :P
Hmm.
Wikipedia wrote:The Merovingian (also known as the Frenchman) is a supporting antagonist of The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions. He is portrayed by French actor Lambert Wilson in both films and voiced by Robin Atkin Downes in The Matrix: Path of Neo. He also played a prominent role in The Matrix Online role-playing game. The Merovingian provides a safe haven for exiled or obsolete programs that wish to hide in the Matrix, as an alternative to deletion. Being an exile himself, the Merovingian's services are not condoned by either the Redpills or the Machines, but they are overlooked unless in direct conflict with either of their goals. He only believes in causality, saying that free will and choice are mere illusions. This may be due to the Matrix and the programs he uses, or even writes himself, which cause specific reactions. He speaks with an elegant French accent likely due to Wilson's portrayal of the character, although the Merovingian states he has 'sampled every language; French is my favorite', implying he knows how to speak other languages aside from English and French. Wilson stated that he purposefully exaggerated his French accent for the role, as he otherwise speaks with a more subdued accent due to his upbringing speaking both French and English.

In The Matrix Reloaded, the Oracle tells Neo that he must find a program known as the Keymaker in order to reach the Source, the Machine mainframe. However, the Keymaker is being held captive by the Merovingian, who will not let him go willingly. Neo, Morpheus, and Trinity visit the Merovingian at an upscale restaurant, Le Vrai (which is French for "The REALITY or GENUINE"), where he is holding court with his wife Persephone. He ridicules the three for not knowing the reason they want the Keymaker and sends them away, but Persephone betrays him and takes them to his mountain chalet, where the Keymaker is being held. As Morpheus and Trinity flee with the Keymaker, several of the Merovingian's henchmen attack Neo, who quickly kills or incapacitates all of them. The Merovingian witnesses the end of the fight and then escapes before Neo can follow, leaving him temporarily stranded at the chalet, although not before hinting that there were more instances of the One besides Neo.

In The Matrix Revolutions, Morpheus and Trinity learn from the Oracle that the Merovingian has put a price on their heads for taking the Keymaker from him. Accompanied by Seraph, they enter the decadent Club Hel to bargain with him for the release of Neo, who has become trapped in a gateway between the Matrix and the Machine world. The Merovingian offers to free him in exchange for the Oracle's eyes; an irritated and desperate Trinity responds by initiating a Mexican standoff, putting a gun to his head and threatening to kill him unless he releases Neo—a deal which the Merovingian accepts.

The Merovingian is named after the Merovingian dynasty of Frankish royalty. His wife Persephone is named after the Greek goddess of renewal and companion of Hades, Greek god of the Underworld. The Merovingian has the role as the guardian of the virtual afterlife where exiled programs can seek refuge from deletion. He owns a nightclub named Club Hel, as a reference to the Nordic guardian of the afterlife, Hel.
I think the underlined parts are the relevant ones? The free will thing is the closest I can find to anything having to do with good chocolate.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:16 pm

Oh, no, in the movie, a lady is served a chocolate cake and she has to go to the restroom. I believe he joins her.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Jutsa wrote:The free will thing is the closest I can find to anything having to do with good chocolate.

Well,at its peak in RL history the Merovingian domains did include all of what's now Belgium and most of what's now Switzerland,and both of those nations are noted nowadays for their chocolate...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 am

Hey how'd my name end up in there? :rofl:

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:07 am

Jutsa wrote:Hey how'd my name end up in there? :rofl:

Oops! Clumsy deletion of bits from the post that I quoted...
:blush:
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:40 am

Bump! We finally got another one for Skandilund! :D

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Bump, got another one for Skandilund. :rofl:

Also have( hopefully) been keeping up with the other issues/nations. Removed an apostrophe in Smalltopia's description,
and updated Skandilund's since we know at least a little more about it now.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Hey, you blamed Brancaland for something Blackacre did.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Ah crud, gotta fix that >.>

The dark Panther
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The dark Panther » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:18 pm

East Calypso is probably Greek since Calypso was from Greek mythology she was an nymph banished to the Island Of Ogygia
New nation is Rusthenia

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:27 pm

We've already discussed this.
Trotterdam wrote:Since we already have Manamana representing the Caribbean, and Macronesia nominally representing Indonesia, I figure this one would likely be somewhere else, like Polynesia or the Maldives.

EDIT: Actually, since Calypso is a Greek word, it may be intended to be a Mediterranean island like Malta or Cyprus.
Minoa wrote:Trinidad and Tobago, where Calypso music originated.
Pogaria wrote:(I was thinking Caribbean when I made it up, but Mediterranean works too. It does kind of sound like an island in the Cyclades region.)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?