NATION

PASSWORD

Beta 004: Weaponization

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Beta 004: Weaponization

Postby [violet] » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:17 pm

[004] Weaponization

Proposed Change: Consider effect of compulsory military service. Reduce "gun explosion" effect whereby nations with more than 1 gun per capita tend to collect extreme numbers of guns. Reduce effect of opposition to Defense industry and anti-crime, especially when gun ownership is encouraged/mandatory.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:47 pm

I support this because my defense industry is desperately in need of a boost. :p
jacknjellify wrote:Watch Battle For Dream Island or be eliminated.

According to this index, this civilization is:
Tier: 8
Level: 5
Type: 6
A 9 civilization because I lean more towards it.

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:01 pm

You mean to say that 200+ weapons per person wasn't realistic!? You're going to leave citizens across NS totally defenseless against intruders!
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Mine would increase from 0.2 to 14.25, seems much more realistic in light of the fact that my nation has compulsory military service, as the current 0.2 number seems way off.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Can you better explain to me this beta? I don’t understand why it changes my stats by about 40%.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Fauxia wrote:Can you better explain to me this beta? I don’t understand why it changes my stats by about 40%.

You are mostly affected by the part described as "Reduce effect of opposition to Defense industry and anti-crime..." which I admit is pretty mysterious.

What it's referring to is that NationStates tracks all your decisions that would reduce crime, and the size of your Defense industry, and almost everything else, even if it's already effectively at zero. That is, we don't merely note that a nation has reached a zero-size Defense industry; if you continue to make decisions that oppose Defense, we track just how hostile to the existence of a Defense industry you have become. These are sometimes called "underlying" values.

Weaponization draws on the underlying values of Crime and Defense Industry. Which is fine, but a given decision will stimulate Weaponization by the same amount regardless of whether the nation is (for example) actually shrinking its Defense industry, or just increasing its opposition to an industry that doesn't even exist.

The beta does still draw on those two underlying values, but it places less weight on them once the real values fall below zero.

In your case, you have effectively no crime in real terms, and a strong anti-crime underlying value, which means it will take quite a bit of change for crime to reappear in your nation. The beta gives less weight to the anti-crime part, which means it's less able to offset other things, such as Fauxia's relatively lax gun controls.

Krampusreich
Secretary

Founded: Feb 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Krampusreich » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:You mean to say that 200+ weapons per person wasn't realistic!? You're going to leave citizens across NS totally defenseless against intruders!

What will happen to nations that are actually trying to achieve something like that? I've got a few alts, and with at least one of them I am actually attempting to do that.
This nation does not represent my actual views. | NS Stats sent to a concentration camp and executed for inaccurately portraying the nation.
A PMT/EFT Fantasy Country set after a global nuclear war, pit in an endless total war against similar countries
| Q&A Here

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:09 pm

It will still be possible, but harder, e.g.: https://www.nationstates.net/page=beta? ... le_flowers

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:50 am

I have always explained to people in the past, when there was confusion about how the Weaponization stat works, that it is supposed to measure the number of weapons owned by civilians, excluding weapons owned by the government and used exclusively for police or military work. Is this still the intended meaning or is this changing?

Admittedly, in nations with compulsory military service or the like, the distinction could get blurry.

Krampusreich
Secretary

Founded: Feb 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Krampusreich » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:26 am

Trotterdam wrote:I have always explained to people in the past, when there was confusion about how the Weaponization stat works, that it is supposed to measure the number of weapons owned by civilians, excluding weapons owned by the government and used exclusively for police or military work. Is this still the intended meaning or is this changing?

Admittedly, in nations with compulsory military service or the like, the distinction could get blurry.

I don't know if there's a mechanic for this (I suspect not, but you never know), but I know the distinction gets even blurrier for countries where soldiers would be expected to buy their own weapons. Not much of a thing in modern times, but it was very prevalent historically.
Last edited by Krampusreich on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
This nation does not represent my actual views. | NS Stats sent to a concentration camp and executed for inaccurately portraying the nation.
A PMT/EFT Fantasy Country set after a global nuclear war, pit in an endless total war against similar countries
| Q&A Here

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:46 am

This would bring down my weaponization, and that's one of my favorite stats.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Pencil Sharpeners 2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Pencil Sharpeners 2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:38 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:This would bring down my weaponization, and that's one of my favorite stats.

Everyone who has high weaponisation gets brought down, due to the rescaling.
I used to do stuff in TSP
Highest ranked solo player in N-Day 2, finishing 10th
Currently the holder of 7 World #1 badges

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Pencil Sharpeners 2 wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:This would bring down my weaponization, and that's one of my favorite stats.

Everyone who has high weaponisation gets brought down, due to the rescaling.

I know, which makes me sad.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Trotterdam wrote:I have always explained to people in the past, when there was confusion about how the Weaponization stat works, that it is supposed to measure the number of weapons owned by civilians, excluding weapons owned by the government and used exclusively for police or military work. Is this still the intended meaning or is this changing?

That's still the idea. Compulsory Military Service familiarizes all citizens with weapons and thus makes weaponization more likely in the general populace.

Jadefall
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Jadefall » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Interesting - I support this as my weaponisation is very low vs defence spending & armed forces size. Presumably this will boost arms manufacturing? Also, when would you expect to implement? Thanks.

VoVoDoCo
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby VoVoDoCo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Without affecting my crime rate, it lowers my weaponization by 60 something percent.

*sigh*

I accept, since it makes sense, but these beta's are killin me.
Are use voice to text, so accept some typos and Grammatical errors.
I'm a moderate free-market Libertarian boomer with a soft spot for Agorism. Also an Atheist.

I try not to do these or have those. Feel free to let me know if I come short.

Merconitonitopia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Merconitonitopia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:47 am

rad, now I won't have less than 1 weapon per person with compulsory ownership lol.
⇡5,357%

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 pm

This is going to increase my weaponization by a little bit, while Pacifism is going to drop so hard... Not only me though; all those pacifist nations like Kindjal and Tzo will also see tremendous drops.

Any idea why? For my nation, we don't have compulsory military service... heck, we don't even have a Defense Force.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 pm

Valentine Z wrote:This is going to increase my weaponization by a little bit, while Pacifism is going to drop so hard... Not only me though; all those pacifist nations like Kindjal and Tzo will also see tremendous drops.

Any idea why? For my nation, we don't have compulsory military service... heck, we don't even have a Defense Force.

Nations with extreme levels of Pacifism typically also have high levels of anti-Defense and anti-crime, as discussed here:
[violet] wrote:
Fauxia wrote:Can you better explain to me this beta? I don’t understand why it changes my stats by about 40%.

You are mostly affected by the part described as "Reduce effect of opposition to Defense industry and anti-crime..." which I admit is pretty mysterious.

What it's referring to is that NationStates tracks all your decisions that would reduce crime, and the size of your Defense industry, and almost everything else, even if it's already effectively at zero. That is, we don't merely note that a nation has reached a zero-size Defense industry; if you continue to make decisions that oppose Defense, we track just how hostile to the existence of a Defense industry you have become. These are sometimes called "underlying" values.

Weaponization draws on the underlying values of Crime and Defense Industry. Which is fine, but a given decision will stimulate Weaponization by the same amount regardless of whether the nation is (for example) actually shrinking its Defense industry, or just increasing its opposition to an industry that doesn't even exist.

The beta does still draw on those two underlying values, but it places less weight on them once the real values fall below zero.

In your case, you have effectively no crime in real terms, and a strong anti-crime underlying value, which means it will take quite a bit of change for crime to reappear in your nation. The beta gives less weight to the anti-crime part, which means it's less able to offset other things, such as Fauxia's relatively lax gun controls.

This will affect your Pacifism number, but since all the nations around you are similarly affected, as you observed, it may not have much effect on your world rank.

The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:00 am

[violet] wrote:

... .

Thank you for this illuminating post. If NS were to release a feature that charts all these underliers (call it My NationState: Pride and Prejudice) I think it will fast become the most popular thing evar.
Last edited by The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where are the sins of the world? ? CDT credentials: Confirmed Anglican
Eastern Orthodox almost-Catechumen (OCA) Roman Catholic drop-out (RCIA)
Eight Popes Have Condemned Freemasonry Since 1738Evolution Debunked
L.A.W.S. Of TempledomLatin Vulgate/Douay Rheims/KJVEngland Has Fallen
NationStates: a gargantuan (1k questions and counting) opinion poll to get big data on young people; JCPOA The Good Fight (X2) (It's biblical) NWO! MARK EXPOSED

La Badlandoj
Secretary

Founded: Sep 08, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby La Badlandoj » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:35 am

I get it, but I love my 57 weapons per person. :(

North Wanistan
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby North Wanistan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:14 am

So - wait, from this mine is supposed to go down despite compulsory military service? Welp I guess the next time compulsory gun ownership comes around and other weird laws come up I will go full tilt, considering my beta lifespan is only going to be 29 anyways might as well increase the number of guns back up to sixty once they go down.

He Qixin
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby He Qixin » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:56 am

But still... I loved having a non-military nation where only 1 out of every 7 citizens carried a weapon. :lol:
Last edited by He Qixin on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacknjellify wrote:Watch Battle For Dream Island or be eliminated.

According to this index, this civilization is:
Tier: 8
Level: 5
Type: 6
A 9 civilization because I lean more towards it.

This nation is always used to post in the forums unless the forum is the WA, for which I use Triangle and Square, a WA member, to post.

Equalsun Empire
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Equalsun Empire » Fri May 11, 2018 7:54 pm

So, question, why will the Pacifism statistic be so effected by this change? My weaponization is set to go up by 0.03, while my pacifism takes a dive of 37.40. The only reason I could think this would happen is the compulsory military service I enabled 15 days ago (an issue I'm still trying to track down, as I didn't think the issue option I chose would start the policy of conscription), but that should be offset by the fact that weapons are still strictly banned in the country.
Spirit Animal of Castle Crashers

Quick link to my horrifically messy factbook.
Awarded the Honourable Epicness Award for Persuasive Nuclear Weapon Placement 2015

Dogs of War wrote:While the motto of the British SAS is "Who dares wins" the motto of Equalsun's SAS is "Who cares who wins?"

The Great and Kawaii™ Ella wrote:As much as I love Stellaris, video games are a magnet for powerwankers, and when the AI beats them too hard, they come over to II and P2TM and take their anger out on us.

So I got into am currently in a name-calling contest in a flag rating thread...

Student, Canadian, ENFP

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri May 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Equalsun Empire wrote:The only reason I could think this would happen is the compulsory military service I enabled 15 days ago (an issue I'm still trying to track down, as I didn't think the issue option I chose would start the policy of conscription),
This does indeed not sound very pacifist.

Pacifism doesn't just measure how unviolent your citizens are, but how opposed to violence they are. If they are in favor of the government committing violence on their behalf, then they're not pacifist, even if they're not directly joining in.

Plus, having conscription means that most people would have handled weapons at some point in their lives, while they were members of the military, even if they had to turn their weapons in when they were discharged from the military rather than being allowed to keep them as civilians Even if you picked the crazy option of banning guns even from military use, they'd still be using swords and various other implements whose primary purpose is to kill people.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical