NATION

PASSWORD

Which caste are you?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which caste are you in?

Brahmin
42%
Kshatriya
17%
Vaishya
16%
Shudra
20%
Dalit
5%

Total votes : 88

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:07 pm

American.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:10 pm

The Democratic Marxists wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
I'm not Indian, so I don't have the benefit of having my last name already assigned to a caste, so in the absence of that- I think that there isn't a choice but to use your parent(s) occupation or your family's economic status if a non-Indian wants to know what caste they'd be put in. Unlike a lot of people, I don't think that the caste system necessarily gives India a bad name, it is just a rather unique system that has such history behind it. I'm perhaps a bit too enthralled by it because I have no personal experience with it good or bad.

Well, read a bit more history and news. Thugs shred apart Dalits in the street when they marry a member of a higher caste. The government has historically fought this kind of discrimination; The Congress Party of India always used to assist lower castes in finding jobs, homes, etc. It is only the recent rightist BJP government that ignores, or even allows this kind of inhumane practice of the caste war.

So then it very much affects people's lives.
Instead of being outraged that we think it sucks, change it.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:12 pm

I am of the british class, and stand above such pagan rituals
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Kubra wrote:I am of the british class, and stand above such pagan rituals

Right. Let's not pretend that colonialism hasn't also caused many problems around the world, shall we?

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:17 pm

Brahmin cos my family is full of nerds, and has been for several generations.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:23 pm

The Democratic Marxists wrote:You guys are being such dumbasses. I am actually Indian. The caste system is an outdated part of Hindu religion (yup, there are other religions in India folks!). Also, your profession in the current world does not determine caste. Rather, it is your last name, or your original heritage. I am a Brahmin, technically, although I believe the caste system is a worthless piece of shit. My heritage is from the Chatterjee surname, a Brahmin legacy. Other Brahmin surnames are Banerjee, Mukherjee, and Ganguli. However, for religious lunatics in India, a Dalit who becomes Chief Minister of a state is still a Dalit, not a Kshatriya.

However, it is illegal in India to discriminate based on caste, okay? If it wasn’t for all those idiotic thugs who go assaulting and murdering Dalits, this fucking caste issue would not even exist. Caste in India no longer determines your life, get it? We have multiple government ministers who are technically Dalits. And this chat is giving India a bad name. It is only the crazy religious Hindu extremists who practice the caste system, just like only extremist Muslims are part of the terrorism problem. So all you elitist Westerners can shut your self moral and judgmental mouths about a country you know nothing about.

Phew, that’s that with the rant!

Ehh, wasn't really planning on judging anybody, just playing along with Sai's hypothetical.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:52 pm

Katganistan wrote:

Right. Let's not pretend that colonialism hasn't also caused many problems around the world, shall we?
chill, chill, just making fun of the whole caste system
it doesn't go so well when outsider who couldn't be bothered with it show up with flintlocks
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Aellex
Senator

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:22 am

"L'Assemblée nationale détruit entièrement le régime féodal. Elle décrète que, dans les droits et les devoirs tant féodaux que censuels, ceux qui tiennent à la main-morte réelle ou personnelle, et à la servitude personnelle, et ceux qui les représentent, sont abolis sans indemnité."
Citoyen Français. Disillusioned Gaulliste. Catholique.

Tombé au champ d'honneur, add 11400 posts.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

RIP Balk, you were too good a shitposter for this site.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:26 am

Aellex wrote:"L'Assemblée nationale détruit entièrement le régime féodal. Elle décrète que, dans les droits et les devoirs tant féodaux que censuels, ceux qui tiennent à la main-morte réelle ou personnelle, et à la servitude personnelle, et ceux qui les représentent, sont abolis sans indemnité."
We may disagree sometimes but you're alright in my book
Comrade J. Posadas

Aellex
Senator

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 am

Kubra wrote:We may disagree sometimes but you're alright in my book

Same here, my friend. ;)
Citoyen Français. Disillusioned Gaulliste. Catholique.

Tombé au champ d'honneur, add 11400 posts.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

RIP Balk, you were too good a shitposter for this site.

Topaazy
Civilian

Founded: Feb 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Topaazy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:14 am

Generel rule!
You can choose your religion but you can't convert your caste. If that was possible don't you think brahmins would have been converting to SC or OBC to get reservation quota. This is the present reality.
But according to scriptures nobody is born a brahmin or kshatriya or shudra or vaishaya, you can always choose your place in society and be in your desired CLASS or varna (not confuse the varna system to present day caste system)
So spiritually you can study scriptures and meditate on divine to become a BRAHMIN but not legally.
Even if you turn a Christian you'll still be considered of the same caste you currently have. :)
Main project for 2018."Bitcohen"

Imperial--japan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial--japan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:18 am

Kshatriyas it is. Not too bad to be second highest, despite most of the poll apparently being the highest.
Grand Britannia wrote:
Fenexia and holochrome wrote:I want /pol/ to stay in /pol/.

/pol/ shitposted someone into the presidency, it's too late for you.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:17 am

Imperial--japan wrote:Kshatriyas it is. Not too bad to be second highest, despite most of the poll apparently being the highest.

People aren't voting accurately or are lying, and its a shame I can't fix that. Everyone seems to think of themselves as the top caste by default. But I recognize that no- my family does not primarily consist of people of that description. I've read that only around 3% of India's population are Brahmins, so it should be quite clear that if the poll were accurate; that the elite rank would be less than half of what it is currently polling at.

This is the last comment I have on the poll situation. It is there nonetheless, to get a picture of the caste distribution that people identify with as opposed to getting no information at all.

Some Dalits have moved overseas from India to "escape" the caste system, but the pitfall they can fall into is that if they're in a new country, they have little to no support system generally speaking, (always a struggle to become economically established, and to learn the language, culture, etc.) and if they associate with their own expatriate community (as nearly all immigrants do) then their Caste status "follows" them to wherever they move to.

No matter how hard a Dalit may try to escape discrimination or poverty, their fellow Indians will probably keep treating them quite poorly regardless, even in Canada or the US, etc. Indians will keep refusing to hire Indians that are of low caste, that aspect of it is sad.

http://nationalpost.com/news/we-are-zer ... -in-canada
https://www.indiaabroad.com/indian-amer ... a04a0.html
Last edited by Saiwania on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

A alpaca
Secretary

Founded: Jan 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby A alpaca » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:24 am

I'm a shudra married to a brahmin. Not bad, I'm batting

Nui-ta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nui-ta » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:32 pm

As a person of Indian-descent born in the U.S.A, I don't really have a caste. It doesn't help that almost everyone I'm aware of in my family are Christian/Muslim and therefore don't subscribe to the caste system. Plus we're all of Anglo-Indian descent.

I think on some family member's papers or something I actually remember "Anglo-Indian" being written in for the caste. But again, as an American, I don't really know how that works.

I suppose if I had to measure myself according to the OP's explanation, without family consideration and solely by the measure of my own merits, I'd be a Shudra. I'm certainly not in management or anything at my work, and I don't have any advanced degrees, but I have a pretty respectable job, a technical certification, and make enough to get myself and one other person by, autonomously, at an acceptable standard of living. Nothing luxurious, but we have a roof, a car, and we ain't starving or panicking about where the next checks are coming from.
Someone cares? Okay then. Economic Left/Right: -2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.85

INFP-T personality, quite heavy on the I,P, and T.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:50 pm

It's not an entirely impressive class system, if we really look into it. For example, you are unable to marry with people from different caste. If you came from Brahmin, you married someone from the Brahmin caste as well. And well, it's sort of no longer quite adaptive to the modern period. Now we have lots of different jobs and upbringing that making qualifications based on caste a bit hard.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 pm

People who think of themselves as Brahmins forget that the Indian caste system has no way of going up, only down.

This means that even if a single of your ancestors cleaned toilets or was homeless, you, the descendant, are as Dalit as your ancestor was, and there was/is no way out of it.

This is why most self-proclaimed Brahmins in this thread are probably not Brahmins if you follow the caste system by the book.

Deads Heads
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Deads Heads » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:37 am

My father was a teacher as was his father and grandfather, but that has nothing to do with what I'd do or where I'd belong. It'd be unlikely for me to be in the educating business. Criminal enterprise is looking more desirable to me by the minute. Unless criminals are anything other than dalit, I don't believe I have any other answer for this thread.
NSG's resident deadheadist. HA! HA!! Beware.
Abraxim wrote:
Deads Heads wrote:Because God is evil, at least according to the standards we, the puny worms beneath him, put up. Not only does he allow evil to exist but propagates evil in his words and actions. Therefore, there really are no good Christians, when you get right down to it. All you find is ignorance-praising tyrant worship out of fear of eternal torture in a lake of fire by a ghost and his minions at the end of the world or hatred towards those upon whom the punishment will be enacted. Or both.

Heavenly Father,

I pray that the person who believes the opinion above comes to know you, and you can take away the blindness in his heart.

In the name of Jesus Christ, our only true Lord.

Amen.

Das Volksreich
Secretary

Founded: Feb 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Das Volksreich » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm

deleted
Last edited by Das Volksreich on Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Das Volksreich
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Das Volksreich » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:32 pm

deleted
Last edited by Das Volksreich on Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Caste's sound like a bad idea. Rigid class system leaves no hope for expansion and gives others second class rights.

Destroy the caste system! Deus Vult! FOR THE MOTHERLAND ALL CLASSES ARE EQUAL COMRADE! (ear rape)
Last edited by The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deads Heads
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Deads Heads » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Das Volksreich wrote:
Deads Heads wrote:My father was a teacher as was his father and grandfather, but that has nothing to do with what I'd do or where I'd belong. It'd be unlikely for me to be in the educating business. Criminal enterprise is looking more desirable to me by the minute. Unless criminals are anything other than dalit, I don't believe I have any other answer for this thread.

The caste system is not uniform from place to place, and in some areas 'thuggees' were considered a caste in of themselves, taking on familial nature. You could be none of the above - thuggee.

Well if the noose fits, strangle a tourist with it after gaining his confidence.
NSG's resident deadheadist. HA! HA!! Beware.
Abraxim wrote:
Deads Heads wrote:Because God is evil, at least according to the standards we, the puny worms beneath him, put up. Not only does he allow evil to exist but propagates evil in his words and actions. Therefore, there really are no good Christians, when you get right down to it. All you find is ignorance-praising tyrant worship out of fear of eternal torture in a lake of fire by a ghost and his minions at the end of the world or hatred towards those upon whom the punishment will be enacted. Or both.

Heavenly Father,

I pray that the person who believes the opinion above comes to know you, and you can take away the blindness in his heart.

In the name of Jesus Christ, our only true Lord.

Amen.

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012

Postby Len Hyet » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 pm

Genivaria wrote:American.

The best Caste

I'm sure someone has but I can't be bothered to read the last 5 pages of this topic, someone has informed OP that your caste assigns your job, your job does not assign your caste, right? That it's the sort of rigid class system that would make Marx long for the glory days of bourgeois Capitalism.
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

Hamilpore
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Hamilpore » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:46 pm

As a school teacher, I would be considered Brahmin. But, as for the main notion on the forum, castes are outdated and should not be taken seriously. They were only put in place to maintain strict social hierarchies.

The Knockout Gun Gals
Senator

Founded: Aug 06, 2012

Postby The Knockout Gun Gals » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Hamilpore wrote:As a school teacher, I would be considered Brahmin. But, as for the main notion on the forum, castes are outdated and should not be taken seriously. They were only put in place to maintain strict social hierarchies.

Strict religious hierarchies.
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
TriStates wrote:Covenant declare a crusade, and wage jihad against the UNSC and Insurrectionists for 30 years.

So Covenant declare a crusade and then wage jihad? :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General