NATION

PASSWORD

Let's talk pets

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Do you have a pet?

Yes, a cat
29%
Yes, a dog
47%
Yes, a bird
3%
Yes, a reptile
3%
Yes, other
9%
No
8%

Total votes : 86

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 08, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Let's talk pets

Postby A m e n r i a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 am

Derping around in my dorm room at 1 AM made me realize how much I miss my cats that we don't have a pet discussion thread going on now. So, I decided to make my own so we can talk about our fur/feather/scale babies!

Here are mine, Yoghurt (right), and Ice Cream (left). Yoghurt's a she and Ice Cream's a he. I adopted the twins since they were kittens, because their mother decided to give birth to them and disappear. Yoghurt is shy around new people and usually hides behind me whenever someone visits. Ice Cream, on the other hand is very outgoing and friendly. Sadly, he died in 2016 or so and the only one left is Yoghurt.
Last edited by A m e n r i a on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Empire of Amenria (亚洲帝国)
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.
Your guide to Amenria, organized for your convenience

S i t k a
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2017
New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:32 am

Your cats are adorable.

I have one cat, and orange one named Jack. Sometimes I pronounce it Jacques. Maybe I'll put up a picture of him later.

I also have two hyperactive golden retrievers, Rhett and Luna. They often try to play with the cat, especially Rhett. Jack stands his ground and smacks them in the face if they try to chase them, and other times runs away to get them to chase him. Since cats look annoyed by default a lot of the time it can be hard to tell if he's playing with the dogs or trying to get them to leave him alone.
The United Settlements of Sitka - the land of friendly vampires, camaraderie, and cloudberry pie
A small corner of the world in 1872. Set in the world of the video game 80 Days, with supernatural beings mixed in. Several factbooks need to be redone.
I'm socially awkward sometimes, and bad at keeping up with things due to life's hecticness, so I might not always be the best at roleplays etc.
The Times: Englishman Phileas Fogg departs London, having bet £20,000 that he can circumnavigate the globe in 80 days.
Local News: Karl Marx visits Sitka, is "impressed".

Ask questions about this strange place! ---- Make the Ram's Head Saloon great again!

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:35 am

S i t k a wrote:Your cats are adorable.

I have one cat, and orange one named Jack. Sometimes I pronounce it Jacques. Maybe I'll put up a picture of him later.

I also have two hyperactive golden retrievers, Rhett and Luna. They often try to play with the cat, especially Rhett. Jack stands his ground and smacks them in the face if they try to chase them, and other times runs away to get them to chase him. Since cats look annoyed by default a lot of the time it can be hard to tell if he's playing with the dogs or trying to get them to leave him alone.

Aww thanks. Your description of your pets remind me of Garfield and Odie lol. I'm curious though, how do people manage to have both a dog and a cat and not have them tear each other apart?
Sinocentric Asian theocratic absolute monarchy. Set 28 years in the future. On-site factbooks are no longer canon. A 13.14 civilization, according to this index.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:43 am

I don’t be have a cat, both parents are allergic, yay!, but I do have a dog that thinks it’s a cat.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

S i t k a
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 am

A m e n r i a wrote:
S i t k a wrote:Your cats are adorable.

Aww thanks. Your description of your pets remind me of Garfield and Odie lol. I'm curious though, how do people manage to have both a dog and a cat and not have them tear each other apart?

In my experience, cats and dogs get along much more often than people may think. It depends on the dog and the cat, though.

My last dog, another golden named Wowser (Or maybe Wowzer? I don't think we ever agreed on the spelling.) was gentle to just about everything. We have a kind of tortoise here that dogs like to go after and attack, but Wowser just laid down in the grass next to one and we got a picture.

Sovaal wrote:I don’t be have a cat, both parents are allergic, yay!, but I do have a dog that thinks it’s a cat.

I hear that shiba inus act like that a lot.
Last edited by S i t k a on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
The United Settlements of Sitka - the land of friendly vampires, camaraderie, and cloudberry pie
A small corner of the world in 1872. Set in the world of the video game 80 Days, with supernatural beings mixed in. Several factbooks need to be redone.
I'm socially awkward sometimes, and bad at keeping up with things due to life's hecticness, so I might not always be the best at roleplays etc.
The Times: Englishman Phileas Fogg departs London, having bet £20,000 that he can circumnavigate the globe in 80 days.

Ask questions about this strange place! ---- Make the Ram's Head Saloon great again!

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 am

Sovaal wrote:I don’t be have a cat, both parents are allergic, yay!, but I do have a dog that thinks it’s a cat.

Okay, do explain...

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:45 am

A m e n r i a wrote:

Okay, do explain...

The guy is a little Yorkie. He likes to be up high, climbs on all the furniture and people he can, likes to sunbath, is pretty lazy, etc. he’ll act like the usual bug dog in a lap dog’s body.

Also has a thing for laying on peoples feet.
Last edited by Sovaal on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:46 am

S i t k a wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:

In my experience, cats and dogs get along much more often than people may think. It depends on the dog and the cat, though.

My last dog, another golden named Wowser (Or maybe Wowzer? I don't think we ever agreed on the spelling.) was gentle to just about everything. We have a kind of tortoise here that dogs like to go after and attack, but Wowser just laid down in the grass next to one and we got a picture.

Wow, Wowser sounds lovely (no pun intended). Tbh I think some dogs are pretty cute too and I would probably get one if my religion isn't against touching them.
Last edited by A m e n r i a on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 am

Sovaal wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:
Okay, do explain...

The guy is a little Yorkie. He likes to be up high, climbs on all the furniture and people he can, likes to sunbath, is pretty lazy, etc. he’ll act like the usual bug dog in a lap dog’s body.

Also has a thing for laying on peoples feet.

Sounds cute. Aren't you gonna post a pic of him?

S i t k a
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:48 am

A m e n r i a wrote:
S i t k a wrote:In my experience, cats and dogs get along much more often than people may think. It depends on the dog and the cat, though.

Wow, Wowser sounds lovely (no pun intended). Tbh I think some dogs are pretty cute too and I would probably get one if my religion isn't against touching one.

I didn't know any religion was against touching dogs.

My dogs get so excited about visitors that if you ever came around here that rule would probably get broken pretty quickly.

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:49 am

I currently have a curly haired Chihuahua mixed with something else. We got it from my mom's friend who couldn't take care of it properly (she was fed and wasn't abused, just didn't get enough playtime do to the owner working so much.) It is also really outgoing and friendly, having sitting on strangers laps in about 10-15 minutes.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:57 am

S i t k a wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:
Wow, Wowser sounds lovely (no pun intended). Tbh I think some dogs are pretty cute too and I would probably get one if my religion isn't against touching one.

I didn't know any religion was against touching dogs.

My dogs get so excited about visitors that if you ever came around here that rule would probably get broken pretty quickly.

Yea, technically, we're allowed to get hunting dogs and guard dogs. We just couldn't touch them unless we wash our hands with a certain mix of substances seven times afterwards. Yea, that's why most of us would rather not get one in the first place.

Dytarma wrote:I currently have a curly haired Chihuahua mixed with something else. We got it from my mom's friend who couldn't take care of it properly (she was fed and wasn't abused, just didn't get enough playtime do to the owner working so much.) It is also really outgoing and friendly, having sitting on strangers laps in about 10-15 minutes.

A curly haired Chihuahua? I didn't know such thing exists. Kindly show me, please?
Last edited by A m e n r i a on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 am

Have a cat. Black and white old boy who constantly follows around like a dog, and is very quiet, rarely vocalizing. Not very brave, unfortunately, and rather nervous in disposition, but also very friendly with humans once he realizes they mean no harm. For some reason prefers to sleep on my uniform over any other place if allowed to.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

The Last Stars
Envoy

Founded: Apr 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Last Stars » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 am

Tag to follow this.

I only have one dog, a Shih Poo/Poodle mix of some sorts. He's barky and angry towards strangers, but he's a sweet little boi around the family.
I don't think I'm going to use NS stats...
FanT/FFT bad space empire with Lovecraftian Monster leaders and furry citizens who aren't that bright. Mostly comical and casual. ** Haha, jumping into RP thread frightens me but feel free to TG me to talk!! **
GOING THROUGH A MASSIVE THEME REHAUL.
A Class 2.75 Civilization according to this index.
National Anthem!

S i t k a
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:02 am

A m e n r i a wrote:
S i t k a wrote:I didn't know any religion was against touching dogs.

Yea, technically, we're allowed to get hunting dogs and guard dogs. We just couldn't touch them unless we wash our hands with a certain mix of substances seven times afterwards. Yea, that's why most of us would rather not get one in the first place.

I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day.

If dog hair alone counted, it would probably be impossible not to touch a dog here, because one thing you learn pretty quick when you get a golden is that they shed. A LOT.

As for other pets, my old neighbors that moved away had a cat that lived to 21. They moved a few years ago, so for all I know it lived a few more years after that. Her name was Lucky, and she was incredibly sweet.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:03 am

I have a German Shepherd/hound mix. She has big floppy hound ears, but her size and fur are more like that of a German Shepherd. She is big. She may look threatening, but she's actually a bit of a scaredy-cat.
This thread needs a poll.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

S i t k a
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:04 am

The Last Stars wrote:Tag to follow this.

I only have one dog, a Shih Poo/Poodle mix of some sorts. He's barky and angry towards strangers, but he's a sweet little boi around the family.

That reminds me of my great uncle's two dogs. When I visited him a while ago, they barked like air raid sirens for a good half hour, and one of them never really calmed down. She'd bark at the most random things, like if I sat down. Once I think she even barked because I smiled.

Dumb Ideologies
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Dumb Ideologies » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:06 am

I will not accept any rivals for head pats.
Are these "human rights" in the room with us right now?
★彡 Professional pessimist. Reactionary socialist and gamer liberationist. Coffee addict. Fun at parties 彡★
Freedom is when people agree with you, and the more people you can force to act like they agree the freer society is
You are the trolley problem's conductor. You could stop the train in time but you do not. Nobody knows you're part of the equation. You satisfy your bloodlust and get away with it every time

The Last Stars
Envoy

Founded: Apr 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Last Stars » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:07 am

S i t k a wrote:I only have one dog, a Shih Poo/Poodle mix of some sorts. He's barky and angry towards strangers, but he's a sweet little boi around the family.

That reminds me of my great uncle's two dogs. When I visited him a while ago, they barked like air raid sirens for a good half hour, and one of them never really calmed down. She'd bark at the most random things, like if I sat down. Once I think she even barked because I smiled.[/quote]

yikes.

I can relate. My dog tends to do the exact same thing which is why a few of my friends loathe going over to my house. Sometimes we would open up the shades we have for our windows and since they're low to the ground, my dog would rush to them to start yapping at some Joe walking down the street with his dog for a good 10 minutes.
I don't think I'm going to use NS stats...
FanT/FFT bad space empire with Lovecraftian Monster leaders and furry citizens who aren't that bright. Mostly comical and casual. ** Haha, jumping into RP thread frightens me but feel free to TG me to talk!! **
GOING THROUGH A MASSIVE THEME REHAUL.
A Class 2.75 Civilization according to this index.
National Anthem!

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:07 am

S i t k a wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:

If dog hair alone counted, it would probably be impossible not to touch a dog here, because one thing you learn pretty quick when you get a golden is that they shed. A LOT.

As for other pets, my old neighbors that moved away had a cat that lived to 21. They moved a few years ago, so for all I know it lived a few more years after that. Her name was Lucky, and she was incredibly sweet.

We had a Lab mix when I was little, she shedded a lot. She died of old age years ago, unfortunately.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:08 am

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Have a cat. Black and white old boy who constantly follows around like a dog, and is very quiet, rarely vocalizing. Not very brave, unfortunately, and rather nervous in disposition, but also very friendly with humans once he realizes they mean no harm. For some reason prefers to sleep on my uniform over any other place if allowed to.

He probably likes the scent. Or the texture, or even both. Yoghurt likes to sleep on my father's sandals for some reason.

S i t k a wrote:
A m e n r i a wrote:

Man, that cat is lucky. I wonder how she managed to live for so long. Yoghurt's only gonna turn 7 this year.

Pax Nerdvana wrote:I have a German Shepherd/hound mix. She has big floppy hound ears, but her size and fur are more like that of a German Shepherd. She is big. She may look threatening, but she's actually a bit of a scaredy-cat.

Gentle giants are always sweet. How do I add a poll though?

A m e n r i a
Negotiator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby A m e n r i a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:10 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
S i t k a wrote:I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day.

We had a Lab mix when I was little, she shedded a lot. She died of old age years ago, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that :(

Dytarma
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Dytarma » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:11 am

A m e n r i a wrote:
S i t k a wrote:I didn't know any religion was against touching dogs.

Dytarma wrote:I currently have a curly haired Chihuahua mixed with something else. We got it from my mom's friend who couldn't take care of it properly (she was fed and wasn't abused, just didn't get enough playtime do to the owner working so much.) It is also really outgoing and friendly, having sitting on strangers laps in about 10-15 minutes.

A curly haired Chihuahua? I didn't know such thing exists. Kindly show me, please?

Sorry if the image is a bit bad, he wouldn't stay still for a long enough time to stay still.
I don't acknowledge the existence of genders and I'm pro death on abortion. All babies must die (sc).
Master Dispatch (or everything I don't want deleted)
Dytarma's Birthday
Don't know what else to put, so I'm -0.50 left and -0.41 libertarian according to The Political Compass

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:11 am

A m e n r i a wrote:
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Have a cat. Black and white old boy who constantly follows around like a dog, and is very quiet, rarely vocalizing. Not very brave, unfortunately, and rather nervous in disposition, but also very friendly with humans once he realizes they mean no harm. For some reason prefers to sleep on my uniform over any other place if allowed to.

He probably likes the scent. Or the texture, or even both. Yoghurt likes to sleep on my father's sandals for some reason.

S i t k a wrote:I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day.

Man, that cat is lucky. I wonder how she managed to live for so long. Yoghurt's only gonna turn 7 this year.

Pax Nerdvana wrote:I have a German Shepherd/hound mix. She has big floppy hound ears, but her size and fur are more like that of a German Shepherd. She is big. She may look threatening, but she's actually a bit of a scaredy-cat.

Gentle giants are always sweet. How do I add a poll though?

Edit the first post. Scroll down, and there's a tab labeled poll creation. My dog tends to bark at new people/things. I think most dogs do that, though.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

S i t k a
Diplomat

New York Times Democracy

Postby S i t k a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:11 am

A m e n r i a wrote:Man, that cat is lucky. I wonder how she managed to live for so long. Yoghurt's only gonna turn 7 this year.

Perhaps cats live long out of sheer stubbornness. It would fit them.

I remember reading that the record is a cat named Creme Puff who lived to 38. For dogs, it's an Australian cattle dog that lived to 29.

I'm not entirely sure how old my cat is. Probably around 7 as well.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General