NATION

PASSWORD

Another suggestion/fix list

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
August
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Another suggestion/fix list

Postby August » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:36 pm

The following are either new suggestions/fixes or pulled from my old thread.

Suggestions:

1. When more than ten embassies are being opened at the same time, the list is collapsed so that only the first ten are visible, and the rest can be found on the Region Admin page. Could the same be applied to mass embassy closures? When you close fifty embassies at once, it practically doubles the length of the page, and makes it much more difficult to look at. Done.

2. Telegram mailing lists. These would be kind of like templates, where the user can paste a short code in the "To:" field. If a mailing list is longer than eight nations, it would require stamps. Basically, the site would take the mailing list code and interpret it as a list of nations. Creating one could be as simple as sending a blank message to multiple nations, which currently returns the error "Your message appears blank.", but could instead return a code similar to a telegram ID.

3. Showing upvotes/downvotes on dispatches. I was thinking that maybe they should be displayed only to the dispatch author. The score alone would be visible to other nations, the way it is now, to reduce visual clutter. This is because (in my experience) downvotes are used less often for bad dispatches and more often for good dispatches that certain groups want to hide. Letting the author see the points would at least provide them with more feedback.

4. Would it be possible for nations to pin dispatches in regions outside their own? I cannot remember if the game knows where any given nation has RO authority (including founder status), but if it does, it would be convenient to be able to pin dispatches in a region while not being present there. That would imply having multiple pinning buttons on dispatches when applicable, which would be even better.

5. Allow choosing sources for "Latest Forum Topics." For example, I am only interested in reading threads from Technical, Gameplay, Got Issues, and Security Council. I do not want to see RPs, NSG, etc. Being able to select a few subforums would be nice. I realize that this is probably quite difficult, due to the way the forums interact with the game.

6. Nations receive a notification when they are edited into a dispatch, not just when they are mentioned in the original text. They would only be notified once ever for that particular dispatch. EDIT: This now applies to edited RMB posts, too. This was changed elsewhere.

7. Right now, the Advanced Dossier feature allows players to add lists of nations from text files. Could this be expanded to regions? I like to monitor large numbers of regions, and sometimes have a need to add them in bulk.

8. Could the [tab] BBCode tag be enabled in WFEs and RMBs? Right now you can use [list] to make indents, but it is odd that we need a workaround when the [tab] code is already usable in dispatches.

9. The list of regions in the dossier shows fifteen regions per page. Could this be changed to ten for ease of counting? If there is a good reason for making it fifteen, could there at least be numbers next to the region names?

10. Would it be possible to add the ability to select a time period on activity feeds? For example, say I wanted to find out who received an endorsement in The North Pacific five days ago. Even if I filtered everything but endorsements, I would need to scroll through a hundred pages to find it. Digging up anything from the World activity feed is even worse. Being able to choose "on 06FEB18 between 0600 and 0700" would save a lot of time.

11. Many regions have networks of dispatches that contain their histories, government descriptions, maps, etc. Sometimes, one of these dispatches changes hands (eg, the region gets a new cartographer), and suddenly all the links need to be changed too. The only solutions here are to have a shared nation maintaining all the dispatches (not recommended) or to spend lots of time fixing links whenever one of the dispatches is recreated.

My suggestion is to allow redirects in dispatches. Implementation would be a code, similar to TG template codes, that looks like this: [REDIR-#######] (where the #s are a dispatch ID). When the code is pasted into a dispatch, that dispatch would redirect to the dispatch whose ID was in the redirect. Obviously, there would need to be an error-checker to prevent someone from redirecting a dispatch to itself and creating a loop.

12. A couple years ago, new influence ratings (Sprat, Shoeshiner, etc) were added because there were too many Minnows and the rating covered a huge range of nominal influence values. I think it is time to do the same with Regional Power ratings. According to NSDossier, over 98% of regions are at Low power. Less than half a percent are at High or above. As Regional Power ratings are tied to percentages of the world's total influence, this disparity will only grow more extreme as that total rises--since early last year, the threshold for Very High has gone up by 200k+ points, dropping a number of regions to a lower rating.

My suggestion is to split Low (currently 0% to 0.01% of world influence; nominally 0 to 30k) and Moderate (0.01% to 0.05%; 30k to 150k) into a few additional ratings, which would mirror the higher ratings. They could be something like Extremely Low (0% to .003%; 0 to 10k), Very Low (.003% to .01%; 10k to 30k), Low (.01% to .025%; 30k to 75k), Moderate (.025% to .05%; 75k to 150k). This would distribute the ratings much more evenly.

Fixes:

1. When I try to send a telegram marked as recruitment for an organization, I am informed that I am "not authorized to send this telegram template." The game has no way of telling what an "organization" is, so how does it determine who is authorized to send these telegrams? Fixed.

2. Around 15% of nations that enter my regions for the first time never receive a welcome telegram. I cannot tell why this happens, but I have observed the effect over many months and it appears to be a bug. Fixed.

3. When a nation located in Region B has Border Control in Region A, and tries to eject a nation from Region A, the Region Control page says that zero influence is required, which is incorrect. When the BC nation moves to Region A, the correct influence cost is displayed by Region Control. The same issue happens when trying to password the region. Fixed.

4. Another one from my thread last year. The "Latest Forum Topics" list is almost always half-covered by the banner ad. On my Supporter nations, this issue still occurs, but with white space instead of an ad.

5. Embassy closures appears in the activity feed even with Embassy items filtered out. From what I can tell, they are included under the Admin item. When Admin is filtered out and Embassy is included, these events disappear. Fixed.
Last edited by August on Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

My Projects: AugustinAndroid (Server) | Augustin Alliance (Server) | NS Leaders (Server) | Tech suggestions | About me
I heard it was you / talkin' 'bout a world where all is free / it just couldn't be / and only a fool would say that...

Chingis
Events Manager

Founded: Apr 04, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Chingis » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Number 3 is similar to the problem for Embassy Powers. (Should probs also be mentioned)

i.e If you have Embassy Powers in Region A and B and are located in Region B, then the admin page yields a request embassy feature for region B but not A, even if u accessed the admin page through Region A's "Request Embassy" textfield
[violet] wrote:lol
My TGs are not for Mod business

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:02 pm

August wrote:2. Around 15% of nations that enter my regions for the first time never receive a welcome telegram. I cannot tell why this happens, but I have observed the effect over many months and it appears to be a bug.

Could this be because they have regional TGs turned off or did you already eliminate that as an explanation?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

August
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby August » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Chingis wrote:Number 3 is similar to the problem for Embassy Powers. (Should probs also be mentioned)

i.e If you have Embassy Powers in Region A and B and are located in Region B, then the admin page yields a request embassy feature for region B but not A, even if u accessed the admin page through Region A's "Request Embassy" textfield
That issue was brought up in my last thread (here). Luna provided a solution.
USS Monitor wrote:
August wrote:2. Around 15% of nations that enter my regions for the first time never receive a welcome telegram. I cannot tell why this happens, but I have observed the effect over many months and it appears to be a bug.

Could this be because they have regional TGs turned off or did you already eliminate that as an explanation?
The Welcome TG in Cape of Good Hope says that seven nations in the last nine months had blocked it by category. More than seven new nations have failed to receive the telegram in the last couple weeks alone. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the cause.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

My Projects: AugustinAndroid (Server) | Augustin Alliance (Server) | NS Leaders (Server) | Tech suggestions | About me
I heard it was you / talkin' 'bout a world where all is free / it just couldn't be / and only a fool would say that...

August
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby August » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:04 pm

I have another suggestion. Now that we have population graphs on Regional History pages (a very useful feature), would it be possible to add other trends? Right now, the only way to access trends for a region as a whole is to find an individual nation's trend and add the region. Having a cleaner way to view this information would be nice. I collect statistics on a regular basis for a number of regions (example), and several of the values depend on the regional averages, like endorsements, influence, etc.

Even better would be providing the aggregate values, which would allow me to skip the step of multiplying the population by the average for the day, but that might be too greedy of me.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:32 pm

August wrote:I have another suggestion. Now that we have population graphs on Regional History pages (a very useful feature), would it be possible to add other trends? Right now, the only way to access trends for a region as a whole is to find an individual nation's trend and add the region. Having a cleaner way to view this information would be nice. I collect statistics on a regular basis for a number of regions (example), and several of the values depend on the regional averages, like endorsements, influence, etc.

Even better would be providing the aggregate values, which would allow me to skip the step of multiplying the population by the average for the day, but that might be too greedy of me.

This is a good suggestion. I don't know when it's implemented but I don't see any reason not to do so when convenient.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

August
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby August » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:15 am

Eluvatar wrote:
August wrote:I have another suggestion. Now that we have population graphs on Regional History pages (a very useful feature), would it be possible to add other trends? Right now, the only way to access trends for a region as a whole is to find an individual nation's trend and add the region. Having a cleaner way to view this information would be nice. I collect statistics on a regular basis for a number of regions (example), and several of the values depend on the regional averages, like endorsements, influence, etc.

This is a good suggestion. I don't know when it's implemented but I don't see any reason not to do so when convenient.
Great, thank you! Looking forward to seeing this.

Since I am already bumping this thread, I have another suggestion. Right now, the Advanced Dossier feature allows players to add lists of nations from text files. Could this be expanded to regions? I like to monitor large numbers of regions, and sometimes have a need to add them in bulk.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

August
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby August » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:52 pm

Eight-day bump. Lots of ideas in this thread, player input would be good too.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

Altmoras
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 25, 2012

Postby Altmoras » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:57 pm

I would love to see Delegate Endorsements be added to the regional history page at the very least. Total Regional WA members would be swell as well, given that that we have no trends for that at all currently.
Benevolent Thomas-Today at 11:15 AM
"I'm not sure if Altmoras has ever been wrong about anything."

Inhumanly good at the game according to official word of site staff.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:04 pm

Altmoras wrote:I would love to see Delegate Endorsements be added to the regional history page at the very least. Total Regional WA members would be swell as well, given that that we have no trends for that at all currently.

Total regional WA members would be harder to add, but is not an unreasonable ask.

August
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby August » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:49 pm

Fix #2 was implemented here: viewtopic.php?p=32311567#p32311567
Fix #3 was implemented here: viewtopic.php?p=32376627#p32376627

Updated the OP to reflect the above, and to add a couple more suggestions pulled from my old threads.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Related to number five: Is it possible to display the subforums of threads in Latest Forum Topics? I've lost count of the number of times I've been given a start by threads in International Incidents with subjects that read like headlines from General.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

August
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby August » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Aclion wrote:Related to number five: Is it possible to display the subforums of threads in Latest Forum Topics? I've lost count of the number of times I've been given a start by threads in International Incidents with subjects that read like headlines from General.
This would be nice.

Bumping this thread again, and added this suggestion to the OP.
August wrote:Right now, the Advanced Dossier feature allows players to add lists of nations from text files. Could this be expanded to regions? I like to monitor large numbers of regions, and sometimes have a need to add them in bulk.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

August
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby August » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:19 am

Long-term bump. A couple points have been addressed elsewhere, but there are plenty left. I also added a couple new ones.

New: Could the [tab] BBCode tag be enabled in WFEs and RMBs? Right now you can use [list] to make indents, but it is odd that we need a workaround when the [tab] code is already usable in dispatches.

New: The list of regions in the dossier shows fifteen regions per page. Could this be changed to ten for ease of counting? If there is a good reason for making it fifteen, could there at least be numbers next to the region names?

New: Would it be possible to add the ability to select a time period on activity feeds? For example, say I wanted to find out who received an endorsement in The North Pacific five days ago. Even if I filtered everything but endorsements, I would need to scroll through a hundred pages to find it. Digging up anything from the World activity feed is even worse. Being able to choose "on 06FEB18 between 0600 and 0700" would save a lot of time.

New: Embassy activity appears in the activity feed even with Embassy items filtered out. From what I can tell, it is included under the Admin item.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Fauxia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Quite the list, August!

So, gonna go through this.

1. I’ve always thought it imbalanced how that’s only how it works for openings. Full agreement with you on that, and though I know nothing about code, I doubt it would be very difficult to implement. Consider how spammy it looks to look at a recently invaded region and have 15 gazillion embassies closing. It looks bad. I love this idea.

2. I don’t really get this one. It makes a list of nations to telegram for x thing- such as a regional newsletter or something?

3. This seems minor to me, but I do think it’s a good idea.

4. Is it not possible already if you are an RO?

5. I’ll trust you if it’s difficult, but this is an excellent idea. Especially for GPers who usually just see “X TERRIBLE THING HAS OCCURRED NSG EDITION” and “THE SENATE- PALPATINE EDITION (now open)” and the like.

7. Advanced Dossier isn’t something I use, so no opinion.

8. Good idea.

9. Why need you count the regions in your dossier?

10. Also a good idea.

I have the same problem #4 as well
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

August
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby August » Wed May 30, 2018 4:22 pm

Fauxia wrote:2. I don’t really get this one. It makes a list of nations to telegram for x thing- such as a regional newsletter or something?
Yes. The purpose would be to save time when sending a telegram to a group of nations that does not fit into a pre-defined category such as tag:wa or region:testregionia.

"4. Is it not possible already if you are an RO?"
Not directly from the dispatch. Having a dropdown for all the regions where you have Appearance authority would be great.

"9. Why need you count the regions in your dossier?"
I frequently keep a lot of regions in there, and it is nice to know how many. Not the highest-priority item on the list, but not too complicated either.

Bumping this thread with two new suggestions. Both will be added to the OP.

1. Many regions have networks of dispatches that contain their histories, government descriptions, maps, etc. Sometimes, one of these dispatches changes hands (eg, the region gets a new cartographer), and suddenly all the links need to be changed too. The only solutions here are to have a shared nation maintaining all the dispatches (not recommended) or to spend lots of time fixing links whenever one of the dispatches is recreated.

My suggestion is to allow redirects in dispatches. Implementation would be a code, similar to TG template codes, that looks like this: [REDIR-#######] (where the #s are a dispatch ID). When the code is pasted into a dispatch, that dispatch would redirect to the dispatch whose ID was in the redirect. Obviously, there would need to be an error-checker to prevent someone from redirecting a dispatch to itself and creating a loop.

2. A couple years ago, new influence ratings (Sprat, Shoeshiner, etc) were added because there were too many Minnows and the rating covered a huge range of nominal influence values. I think it is time to do the same with Regional Power ratings. According to NSDossier, over 98% of regions are at Low power. Less than half a percent are at High or above. As Regional Power ratings are tied to percentages of the world's total influence, this disparity will only grow more extreme as that total rises--since early last year, the threshold for Very High has gone up by 200k+ points, dropping a number of regions to a lower rating.

My suggestion is to split Low (currently 0% to 0.01% of world influence; nominally 0 to 30k) and Moderate (0.01% to 0.05%; 30k to 150k) into a few additional ratings, which would mirror the higher ratings. They could be something like Extremely Low (0% to .003%; 0 to 10k), Very Low (.003% to .01%; 10k to 30k), Low (.01% to .025%; 30k to 75k), Moderate (.025% to .05%; 75k to 150k). This would distribute the ratings much more evenly.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:01 am

I definitely like the idea of adding more regional power ratings.

August
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby August » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:42 pm

Year-and-a-half bump, and some new additions.

1. When a nation is elected delegate at major, the daily nation dump shows the nation as a WA Member, not a WA Delegate. The nation is not marked as a delegate until the next daily dump. Edit to clarify: the region dump does record the new delegate.
2. If a nation has never updated (which generally means it was founded during or shortly after the major update), it is not included in the daily dump.
Both these things cause unexpected behavior in my application, which has an offsite database of users' nations and their current regions. #2 is particularly annoying because it makes it look like a brand new nation has already ceased to exist. It is not a huge deal, and I have no idea how difficult they would be to fix, but it would certainly be nice to not have to constantly explain to people how the system works and why their info will be wrong until the next morning.
No longer important.

Something else I run into on a daily basis is rejected verification codes. I do not have exact numbers on this, but my application verifies 10-30 nations per day using the verification API, and it is fairly common for a user to fail repeated attempts (not counting obvious user error). It is definitely not a bug on my end, and I cannot reproduce it. My best guess is that it has to do with mobile users opening the verify_login link internally in one app (Discord) and ending their existing login session, and an auto-login feature instantly invalidating the verification code, but it does not seem exclusive to mobile users. Are there any back-end analytics on the usage of this API and the verify_login page, particularly when it comes to failed attempts, or am I on my own for this one? Fixed, following a report in another thread.

Finally, a very minor thing with the verification API: the verify_login page links to the "Authentication API," but the link leads to the top of the API page. The correct anchor is #verification.
Last edited by August on Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

The Most Serene Republic of Rome
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Most Serene Republic of Rome » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:21 pm

I think there should be a separate section for you to put whatever you want your leader's title to be, instead of having to lump it in with the name.
Last edited by The Most Serene Republic of Rome on Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Stalker
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:50 am

August wrote:3. Showing upvotes/downvotes on dispatches. I was thinking that maybe they should be displayed only to the dispatch author. The score alone would be visible to other nations, the way it is now, to reduce visual clutter. This is because (in my experience) downvotes are used less often for bad dispatches and more often for good dispatches that certain groups want to hide. Letting the author see the points would at least provide them with more feedback.

I would very much like this one. As someone who used to make a lot of dispatches, I would often have certain ones down voted a bunch to keep it's points low and unseen or for other petty reasons. To be honest, probably could even do away with the down vote button all together.
The Mad King of Hell
I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"
Hell's Bells: Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity.
And I heard as it were the noise of thunder, One of the four beasts saying come and see and I saw, and behold...

August
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby August » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:31 pm

The Most Serene Republic of Rome wrote:I think there should be a separate section for you to put whatever you want your leader's title to be, instead of having to lump it in with the name.
This is not a catch-all suggestion thread. It is just a place where I drop most (though not all) of my tech suggestions so they do not take up the entire first page of the subforum when I bump them.
The Stalker wrote:As someone who used to make a lot of dispatches, I would often have certain ones down voted a bunch to keep it's points low and unseen or for other petty reasons. To be honest, probably could even do away with the down vote button all together.
This would be fine with me too. Last week I published a dispatch about a new NS program I had built, and its score fluctuated up and down constantly, signalling that its upvotes were being canceled out by lots of downvotes for no apparent reason. This was frustrating because I was hoping to get a little exposure that way, and these days it happens every time I publish one. Ideally, the downvote button would be used to sink inane nonsense like this, but if that is out of the question, it should just be abolished altogether.

Another possibility: the option to sort by "most controversial." If the dispatch page is going to be like Reddit, where the lowest-effort and bot-generated content invariably floats to the top, we might as well embrace all the similarities and give users more filters.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

August
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby August » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:50 am

When a nation is logged in and active for over a week without logging off in the middle, it ceases to gain influence after that week. I know nations are supposed to stop gaining influence after a week of inactivity, but it is probably not intentional that this also applies during extended login sessions.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:08 pm

August wrote:1. When more than ten embassies are being opened at the same time, the list is collapsed so that only the first ten are visible, and the rest can be found on the Region Admin page. Could the same be applied to mass embassy closures? When you close fifty embassies at once, it practically doubles the length of the page, and makes it much more difficult to look at.

Implemented this one.

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:14 pm

August wrote:5. Embassy closures appears in the activity feed even with Embassy items filtered out. From what I can tell, they are included under the Admin item. When Admin is filtered out and Embassy is included, these events disappear.

Fixed, although possibly only for new Happenings generated from now on.

August
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby August » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:42 pm

Bump due to recent staff interest in suggestions.
|| AA Founder - Retired.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical