NATION

PASSWORD

A draft for a proposal to protect artistic expression

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Valenic
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

A draft for a proposal to protect artistic expression

Postby Valenic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:05 pm

The World Assembly,

Realizes the importance of art and artistic expression in the growth of many nations and cultures.

Recognizes the need for some art to be restricted as to not come into contact with an inappropriate audience

Believes that everyone should have the right to express them selves in either the creation or consumption of art.

The general assembly...

1. Establishes a set of regulations to protect artistic expression
a)Member nations are prohibited from putting unneeded restricts on the creation of art.
b)Member nations cannot put a national ban on a piece of art because of it's content or an ideology it represents.
c) Member nations maintain the ability to restrict a piece of art because it's content may be inappropriate or immoral
d) Member nations are prohibited from unneeded restriction of a piece of art
2. any member nations not found to be in accordance of these regulations will receive appropriate consequences.

Is this proposal legal

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Category? Strength?

B and C are contradictory. It is illogical to tell somebody they cannot ban or censor something because of content, then turn around and tell them they can.

A and D are duplicates. reworded.

2 is so vague as to be nearly humorous.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Valenic
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Valenic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 pm

Grays Harbor wrote:Category? Strength?

B and C are contradictory. It is illogical to tell somebody they cannot ban or censor something because of content, then turn around and tell them they can.

A and D are duplicates. reworded.

2 is so vague as to be nearly humorous.

thanks for the advice I will rework the proposal

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:30 pm

What is "art" in one culture may be considered trash, literally, in another. Is it really the place of the WA to issues mandates on what art is or isn't? If I were to stand on a street corner decapitating live chickens, and proclaimed it to be "performance art" would it really be? Or just somebody trying to get around health laws governing meat markets?

This is why "one size fits all" proposals regarding many topics, art included, will never be anything more than just one persons opinion. Art is too subjective.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:58 pm

World Assembly Resolution #30 Freedom of Expression already covers this fairly throughtly
You might consider focusing on artist's moral rights
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:29 am

"In the believing clause, "themselves" is one word not two."
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Return to General Assembly